And the clock keeps ticking for a 300 yards passing game & 4 quarters of football

Billsfan1972

From the offense.  You would think by accident any NFL QB can throw for 300 yards in a game.  

I've posted this again and again and am just confounded, perplexed and stupefied that this team can't/won't have a game plan that has them throwing for 300 yards (heck 250 would be something) EVER!!!!!

The NFL over and over is a game that comes down to getting the ball in the endzone and being CAPABLE of throwing the ball.  

There is not a single team that can count on winning games 20-17 that has any chance for success.

Why do we have a coaching staff who refuses to recognize this?

And no it is not all TT's fault.  

• Like (+1) 1

I'd like to see the Bills pass more, but this rant is a little out of bounds.   

300 yards passing is not the be all and end all.   In fact, it's usually the case that when your passing totals get up over 300 yards, you're losing.   

But there's another reason the Bills's totals are low, and that is that the defense is a bend don't break defense that has had more plays run against it than just about any other team in the league.  They give up a lot of yards.   The result is the Bills are right near the bottom of the league in time of possession.   So the offense has the ball less than just any other team in the league.

Add to that the fact (that many people don't like) that the Bills want to run (and are pretty good at it), and you get low passing totals.  Sorry, but that's the way it is.  

If the Bills were 5-9, I'd be whining along with you.  

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, Drunken Pygmy Goat said:

Who cares about wins? As long as we get 300 yards passing, all is well!

You do realize this team is built around running the ball, right?

C’mon, let the OP have his cake and eat it too.  He wishes to tout a meaningless statistic but then say they the central character in achieving the statistic is not at fault.  It’s a perfect deflection of reality.  The truth is that NFL teams have to be able to run and pass the ball effectively.  Some lucky teams, because they have great QB’s, can run much less because the NFL has stacked the rules in favor of a strong arial attack.  

Being built around running the ball is all well and good except when the opposing defense so completely shuts down your run game that the team becomes reliant on it’s offense to be able to pass the ball effectively.  This may or may not mean achieving the illustrious 300 yard game the OP calls for.  It certainly does mean efficiently and repeatedly moving the ball and scoring through the air.

Now please keep in mind that there are many around here that believe TT can do exactly this.  Why, remains a mystery to me personally as the results do not reflect this reality.  Therefore, results be damned, it must be on the coaching staff which is exactly the point to OP makes.  We’ve landed in nirvana, we should change the coaching staff in order to make up for a middling QB.  This is the solution! :rolleyes: 

• Like (+1) 2

I think I understand the OPs point. There will always be games where a shootout is unavoidable. The D has an off day, the opponent is a prolific scoring team or like this Sunday with the patsies*** they're just a dominant foe. Turnovers happen, weather happens, stuff happens. The ability to match your opponent WHEN THE NEED ARRISES is mandatory. I'm hoping the unspoken point he makes is about points, not yards.

• Like (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

From the offense.  You would think by accident any NFL QB can throw for 300 yards in a game.  

I've posted this again and again and am just confounded, perplexed and stupefied that this team can't/won't have a game plan that has them throwing for 300 yards (heck 250 would be something) EVER!!!!!

The NFL over and over is a game that comes down to getting the ball in the endzone and being CAPABLE of throwing the ball.  

There is not a single team that can count on winning games 20-17 that has any chance for success.

The infatuation and excuse making for a backup QB wanting him to be better than he is, is beyond mind boggling. 

Well, to defend the OP for a minute:

There IS some correlation to the fact that the Bills have had very few (count em on one hand) 300-yard passing games in the last 10 years and the Bills have lost more consistently than they've won.   None of us will argue that a good passing attack is a valuable asset in the NFL, much more so than it was 30 years ago.   If you have a good passing attack, you're likely to have a shot at winning more games in the 4th quarter than if you don't.   If you don't you can win only one way - run the ball, get the lead, hold on.   That's tough to do consistently in the NFL.   

But much like the thread about Murphy and the fans' negativity, I find it difficult to complain about the lack of passing yardage when the team actually is winning.   

Last Sunday the bills threw alot on that first drive and scored. They were able to open up the run game a little, but then for whatever reason they stopped in the 2nd half. Probably because we had a lead and McDermott loves to run out the clock in the 3rd quarter. They need to be more aggressive. I give them credit for taking some deep shots in the 2nd half, but they have to be a little more creative

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I'd like to see the Bills pass more, but this rant is a little out of bounds.   

300 yards passing is not the be all and end all.   In fact, it's usually the case that when your passing totals get up over 300 yards, you're losing.   

But there's another reason the Bills's totals are low, and that is that the defense is a bend don't break defense that has had more plays run against it than just about any other team in the league.  They give up a lot of yards.   The result is the Bills are right near the bottom of the league in time of possession.   So the offense has the ball less than just any other team in the league.

Add to that the fact (that many people don't like) that the Bills want to run (and are pretty good at it), and you get low passing totals.  Sorry, but that's the way it is.  

If the Bills were 5-9, I'd be whining along with you.  

Exactly this! So many variables that play into stats. Granted, I think we all can agree that Taylor isn't going to light up the stat sheet with passing yards, regardless of what type of team he has, but to put the microscope on him for the passing yard totals is flawed.

In the Chargers game, he had something like 158 yards passing in the second half, but the game was well out of hand by the time he came in. If he had started that game, and put up those numbers in the first half (with a lead), it's fair to assume that he would not reach 300, as the Bills would be more concerned with killing the clock, and running their way to victory. 

Btw, Taylor's yards gained with his legs count, too, and those plays often convert into first downs. I didn't see anyone complain when he score the TD with his legs against Miami. So they're not passing yards. Football is a game of inches. They're not called "passing inches". 

There are two reasons Tyrod Taylor never reaches 300 yards:

1.  The Bills start every single game hoping to establish the run, while carefully protecting the ball on passing plays.  Even if we successfully attack downfield through the air on a few plays, the offense will quickly return to run-heavy on the ensuing drives.

2.  If the Bills happen to fall behind by 2+ scores, and the offense is forced to pass -- those are the games that Taylor struggles badly with taking sacks, decision-making and accuracy.  When the threat to rush is gone, he just isn't good enough to carry the team with his arm.

• Like (+1) 1

Sure it would be nice to see Tyrod go off & use his GGT to light up the skies with long bombs & 300+ yd games but just like the Bills game against Tampa bay which Winston threw for a bunch of yards & still lost at the end to our QB that didn't put up a ton of yds .

Alls i care about is that the Bills win i don't care if it's through the air a lot or a little i just want them to win ! There has been a lot of games this year that the QB has put up insane numbers in the passing game & still have come up on the short end of the stick .

I'm no football expert but from anything i've seen to this point i don't think the Bills O will be very good until they get the right O coordinator !! 

There is a article on Rumblings this morning that says all that needs to be said about this years offense which a number of articles here & on other sites have discussed this year . 

I don't believe that any of these coaches old or new that are hired by a new team know or understand the old adage that 

"IF IT AINT BROKE DON'T FIX IT !!'

One of the most significant statistics in regards to wins and losses is the takeaway number.

We are one of the top teams in that statistic and it's are reason why we are in a playoff battle now.

Maybe focus on the positive statistics.

Edited by klos63
x

To defend the OP, it would be one thing if the Bills made the conscious effort to limit passing yards in favor of more of a run-first ball control offense.  But I don't think that's necessarily case. The QB play over the last, oh, I don't know, 21 years, has been bad.  These QB's are not really capable of putting together 4 solid quarters of good passing.  

Look at a guy like Garappolo-- he goes into a new offense and throws for 300 yards in his first three games quite effortlessly. He's good. Our QBs-- not so much.  

• Like (+1) 4

5 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Last Sunday the bills threw alot on that first drive and scored. They were able to open up the run game a little, but then for whatever reason they stopped in the 2nd half. Probably because we had a lead and McDermott loves to run out the clock in the 3rd quarter. They need to be more aggressive. I give them credit for taking some deep shots in the 2nd half, but they have to be a little more creative

Not saying I disagree with this, but that could also come back to bite you in the butt. There was one series where I believe the Bills went 3 @ out in the second half with three consecutive passes, and I think they were inside their own 20. I was a bit annoyed by that as it happened, considering the score, although I'm sure the Dolphins were expecting runs, and hindsight is 20/20. Perhaps the idea to pass in that situation could have been beneficial, and that the plays themselves could have been better, while still passing. But it was one series that aided the Dolphins in making a game out of what could have been a blowout. An untimely turnover there could have changed the outcome. 

The Taylor INT on the opening drive against NE changed that game, although very early. The defense was stout in the first half, but instead of adding 3 or 7 points on the drive, they got zero. It was 9-3 at the half iirc, but it could have looked much different if not for the decision to pass there (it was a terrible play by Taylor, but it could have been avoided altogether).

Of course, you can always fumble when running the ball, but sometimes the best way to avoid a critical mistake from happening is to minimize that possiblity greatly by making smarter play calls.

35 minutes ago, Drunken Pygmy Goat said:

Who cares about wins? As long as we get 300 yards passing, all is well!

You do realize this team is built around running the ball, right?

6th in rushing

23rd in points 

29th in yardage

running really racks up those points.....throw the damn ball or expect 8-8 every year...

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, jr1 said:

the Saints are better with more running plays

No doubt the Saints are a much more balanced team running the ball with Ingram and Kamara. That said, the Bills aren't really a balanced offense. Including the half he played in LA, Tyrod is averaging 28 attempts for about 185 yards per game in 2017. Compare that to about the same number of attempts in 2015, but 30 yards more passing per game. (EDIT: TT was averaging about 8 yards per attempt in 2015. Now he's at about 6.5. I don't put that on Dennison, but teams taking away the deep sideline pass TT was attempting and completing).

It's hard to watch other teams throwing the ball down-field and Buffalo not having done that in years. It doesn't guarantee wins, but it's more entertaining football. Yet, in a ball control grind it out type offense, we're not going to see it with this QB.

12 minutes ago, klos63 said:

One of the most significant statistics in regards to wins and losses is the takeaway number.

We are one of the top teams in that statistic and it's are reason why we are in a playoff battle now.

Buffalo is now tied with NE and the Chargers for 5th with a +7 in turnover differential.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/givetake

Interesting to see Baltimore and Kansas City ahead of the Bills.

Edited by BillsVet
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

To defend the OP, it would be one thing if the Bills made the conscious effort to limit passing yards in favor of more of a run-first ball control offense.  But I don't think that's necessarily case. The QB play over the last, oh, I don't know, 21 years, has been bad.  These QB's are not really capable of putting together 4 solid quarters of good passing.  

Look at a guy like Garappolo-- he goes into a new offense and throws for 300 yards in his first three games quite effortlessly. He's good. Our QBs-- not so much.  

Two factors there:

1) He has a very good offensive coordinator/HC.

2) Jimmy G is the real deal. 

My posts weren't so much as "defending Taylor" as they were critiquing the OP. We all know what Taylor is and isn't. But give the Bills Jimmy G and his coach, and our offense is completely different. We would likely see some 300+ yard passing games, but we'd still need the defense to do it's part, as well as the run game, in order to win more than lose. Having that kind of QB play certainly helps tremendously, but you cannot simply point to passing yards and say that's THE REASON WHY they won. SF beat the Titans in part because of the passing on the final drive, but also because the other facet of the TEAM contributed. Their TEAM made more plays than the Titans as a TEAM. Terrible defense by the Titans on the final drive was the difference in the end.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

2.  If the Bills happen to fall behind by 2+ scores, and the offense is forced to pass -- those are the games that Taylor struggles badly with taking sacks, decision-making and accuracy.  When the threat to rush is gone, he just isn't good enough to carry the team with his arm.

This is the fundamental problem in my opinion.  I'm still holding out hope that this team can eke out a big win and sneak into the playoffs.  However, this team's offense is pretty much dysfunctional.  They get by when the defense plays great and takes the ball away.  And when Shady is able to make a few big plays.  If it's a shoot-out type of game or if the Bills fall behind, forget it.

27 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

Actually Taylor's 4th quarter stats are just fine. In fact people complain that when the Bills are down two scores he pads his stats.  

The problem is either Taylor is good but the coaches are stubborn and narrow in their outlook or Taylor isn't good and so the  coaches limit his throwing.  I trip l it's mostly the former. 

Do passing yards strongly correlate with wins?    They don't.  So the obsession with 300 yard passing games is misplaced.

Here is one of many articles analyzing what stats are better indicators for winning:

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2014/6/15/5753028/nfl-ranking-stats-crunching-numbers-under-further-review-part-iii-iv

1 hour ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I don't care if they only have 100 passing yards, as long as they win.

25 minutes ago, Drunken Pygmy Goat said:

Two factors there:

1) He has a very good offensive coordinator/HC.

2) Jimmy G is the real deal. 

My posts weren't so much as "defending Taylor" as they were critiquing the OP. We all know what Taylor is and isn't. But give the Bills Jimmy G and his coach, and our offense is completely different. We would likely see some 300+ yard passing games, but we'd still need the defense to do it's part, as well as the run game, in order to win more than lose. Having that kind of QB play certainly helps tremendously, but you cannot simply point to passing yards and say that's THE REASON WHY they won. SF beat the Titans in part because of the passing on the final drive, but also because the other facet of the TEAM contributed. Their TEAM made more plays than the Titans as a TEAM. Terrible defense by the Titans on the final drive was the difference in the end.

Put Garappolo on the Bills this year and IMO he has multiple 300 yard games.

Is it the QB or the coaches? I tend to think the QB stinks, not that the OC is great but it's hard to gameplan and be a successful OC when you work with junk at the QB.

I don't mind being a run heavy offence. I don't think it's by choice. I think we should have some sort of passing game before setting goals on how many yards that passing game can aquire. Baby steps.

Edited by Lfod

50 minutes ago, Cugalabanza said:

This is the fundamental problem in my opinion.  I'm still holding out hope that this team can eke out a big win and sneak into the playoffs.  However, this team's offense is pretty much dysfunctional.  They get by when the defense plays great and takes the ball away.  And when Shady is able to make a few big plays.  If it's a shoot-out type of game or if the Bills fall behind, forget it.

No way to really argue this. The record when down by 4+ points speaks for itself.

3 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

TT had a 300yd+ game last year. We lost.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

31 minutes ago, PeterGriffin said:

Put Garappolo on the Bills this year and IMO he has multiple 300 yard games.

Is it the QB or the coaches? I tend to think the QB stinks, not that the OC is great but it's hard to gameplan and be a successful OC when you work with junk at the QB.

I don't think Taylor "stinks", he's just not as consistent as we'd like, and defenses that know how to defend his game force him to check down or cause hesitation to throw, flustering him and create sacks. 

I would point to previous Bills QBs that "stink", but Taylor is certainly on a lower tier than guys like Garrappolo, Dalton, Smith, etc., as far as being a pure passer goes. Still, his ability as a runner is a nice part of his game, and should be considered.

2 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Wow. The Bills are 8-6 and have a good shot at getting in the playoffs.

They have serious deficiencies at a lot of positions, including QB. The coaches are doing what they can with a team that lacks talent.

And, by the way, it is working. We had no business getting to 8 wins with all the changes and turnover of the roster.

9 minutes ago, GoBills! said:

Drew brees has only thrown for over 300 3 times this year and one time was for a loss. All other games he failed to reach 300 yards. They have two awesome RBs and are a run first time now as well.

saints 18 rushing tds to the bills 11.

saints

3rd in points 1st in total yds 5th in rush yds and 4th in pass yds.

bills

23rd in points 29th in total yds 6th in rush yds and 32nd in passing yds

passing yards are not anymore or less important than rush yards. what's important is sustaining drives and scoring points

I don't believe I would use drew brees or the saints as an example to prove any point here.