And the clock keeps ticking for a 300 yards passing game & 4 quarters of football

Billsfan1972

6 minutes ago, Drunken Pygmy Goat said:

I don't think Taylor "stinks", he's just not as consistent as we'd like, and defenses that know how to defend his game force him to check down or cause hesitation to throw, flustering him and create sacks. 

I would point to previous Bills QBs that "stink", but Taylor is certainly on a lower tier than guys like Garrappolo, Dalton, Smith, etc., as far as being a pure passer goes. Still, his ability as a runner is a nice part of his game, and should be considered.

Nice way of saying, he stinks.

I think you have a point about passing QBs but bringing in a specific stat line throws all of these fans off.  Yes we need a QB that can pass better.  I think we all know that by now or at least we should.  Does anyone care if we win and don't hit your specified stat...I hope not.  

Simply drop the specific stat or you're going to continue to see people mock it.  

This is just another Tyrod thread brought up a little differently.  Yes, most of us know we need a new QB.  No need to talk about a specific stat such as this.  

The arguing over if a player gets a specific stat or not is just mind-blowing how pointless it is.  

Edited by Buffalo30

A run-first team with a "see it, throw it" QB and a group of WRs who don't gain a ton of separation. Taylor isn't the type of QB to throw guys open, so even if there's a slight window where he can throw to where only his guy can get it, he usually won't take that shot. He doesn't see the field well. This is why when those dudes who break down the all-22 stuff can usually find a handful of plays where a guy is open but Taylor simply doesn't or can't see him. On top of that, it's still a run-first offense centered around McCoy. Beyond that, they aren't running very complicated passing schemes. They're forced to find creative ways (rub routes, for instance) to get guys open because really none of them create separation very consistently. They knew that was the case with Benjamin, tho. He's the type of receiver that you just have to throw to when he's got single coverage. Even if his man has him locked down fairly well, you gotta toss it up there because Benjamin is really good with contested catches.

They could also use a legitimate speed guy to make defenses account for a deep threat. 

Edited by blacklabel

Do we need yet another thread on this topic that has been beaten to death numerous times?

Tyrod is not an effective passer. The coaches try to cover that up by running the ball as much as possible.

The end.

Tangent here...

Man, how much I would love to read on Christmas morning (after having watched it on Christmas Eve):  

"No Shady for Pats as LeSean lights up New England for 160 yards on the ground and 105 through the air, with 4TDs setting a personal record in a Buffalo uniform."

Incognito put it best,   "I mean it was ridiculous.  We barely had to hold our blocks and he was gone.  As far as the ten receptions go, what can I say?  They knew he was going to get them and they still just couldn't cover him.  Lee should have known better.  We needed every one of those first downs and I will never forget the over the shoulder TD grab as long as I live."

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

It seems to me that all sides of this debate are actually correct!  The OP is not looking for every game to be a 300 yard passing game. But everyone has to admit that there are times when you're going to need one of those performances to win. The fact that the stat is so rare is just another reason why 8-8 has become so common.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

From the offense.  You would think by accident any NFL QB can throw for 300 yards in a game.  

I've posted this again and again and am just confounded, perplexed and stupefied that this team can't/won't have a game plan that has them throwing for 300 yards (heck 250 would be something) EVER!!!!!

The NFL over and over is a game that comes down to getting the ball in the endzone and being CAPABLE of throwing the ball.  

There is not a single team that can count on winning games 20-17 that has any chance for success.

Why do we have a coaching staff who refuses to recognize this?

And no it is not all TT's fault.  

Goff threw for 126 yards against the Seahawks last week. I guess they must of lost. Oh, they won? How is that possible if he didn't throw for 300?

1 hour ago, PeterGriffin said:

Put Garappolo on the Bills this year and IMO he has multiple 300 yard games.

Is it the QB or the coaches? I tend to think the QB stinks, not that the OC is great but it's hard to gameplan and be a successful OC when you work with junk at the QB.

Jimmy G last 3 games 

293 win

334 win 

381 win 

1083 yards in 3 games.     Bills should have overpaid for him.  

1 hour ago, PeterGriffin said:

Nice way of saying, he stinks.

Well, if that's the case, there's at least 10 other starting QBs that "stink". All I was saying is that, while Taylor may not be as good as we'd like, he's not as bad as some make him out to be. 

That being said, he's a bridge, always has been. We could be doing much worse right now. Here's to better QB in the future!

1 hour ago, blacklabel said:

A run-first team with a "see it, throw it" QB and a group of WRs who don't gain a ton of separation. Taylor isn't the type of QB to throw guys open, so even if there's a slight window where he can throw to where only his guy can get it, he usually won't take that shot. He doesn't see the field well. This is why when those dudes who break down the all-22 stuff can usually find a handful of plays where a guy is open but Taylor simply doesn't or can't see him. On top of that, it's still a run-first offense centered around McCoy. Beyond that, they aren't running very complicated passing schemes. They're forced to find creative ways (rub routes, for instance) to get guys open because really none of them create separation very consistently. They knew that was the case with Benjamin, tho. He's the type of receiver that you just have to throw to when he's got single coverage. Even if his man has him locked down fairly well, you gotta toss it up there because Benjamin is really good with contested catches.

They could also use a legitimate speed guy to make defenses account for a deep threat. 

Good post. It's easy to point t the finger, but most people fail to consider other mitigating factors. 

With that being said, Taylor has to give KB some jump ball opportunities. That's why you bring in a tall WR. He's certainly a guy that can make contested catches.

43 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

It seems to me that all sides of this debate are actually correct!  The OP is not looking for every game to be a 300 yard passing game. But everyone has to admit that there are times when you're going to need one of those performances to win. The fact that the stat is so rare is just another reason why 8-8 has become so common.

Yes, ANOTHER REASON, but not THE REASON. There have been games where Taylor played well enough, but the Rex Ryan circus defense couldn't hold up their end of the bargain. 

Your point is true, though. You do need one of those performance every once in a while, especially in games where the defense doesn't do their part. And history tells us that we shouldn't have much confidence in those type of games that they'll get the job done on offense.

While it's certainly a sad commentary on this team regarding the lack of 300+ yard passing games in recent years with TT as the starter, the bigger issue is playing a complete 60 minute football game which this team has not done under McD so far which is another red flag regarding whether or not he might be the answer in Buffalo long term.

Obviously the perfect week to play that perfect 60 minute game regardless of the passing stats would be this week if we have any glimmer of hope keeping the game competitive beyond halftime and possibly pulling off one of the bigger upsets this league has seen in the last 10 years.

2 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Actually Taylor's 4th quarter stats are just fine. In fact people complain that when the Bills are down two scores he pads his stats.  

The problem is either Taylor is good but the coaches are stubborn and narrow in their outlook or Taylor isn't good and so the  coaches limit his throwing.  I trip l it's mostly the former. 

It's both.  Taylor is limited in his throwing, and the coaches are stubborn and narrow in their outlook.  Unfortunately, it's what we're stuck with for the time being.  Lets hope that they can figure it out for 2 more games. 

29 minutes ago, SaviorPeterman said:

While it's certainly a sad commentary on this team regarding the lack of 300+ yard passing games in recent years with TT as the starter, the bigger issue is playing a complete 60 minute football game which this team has not done under McD so far which is another red flag regarding whether or not he might be the answer in Buffalo long term.

Obviously the perfect week to play that perfect 60 minute game regardless of the passing stats would be this week if we have any glimmer of hope keeping the game competitive beyond halftime and possibly pulling off one of the bigger upsets this league has seen in the last 10 years.

Vs. Jets, Vs. Broncos, Vs. Raiders....

4 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

From the offense.  You would think by accident any NFL QB can throw for 300 yards in a game.  

I've posted this again and again and am just confounded, perplexed and stupefied that this team can't/won't have a game plan that has them throwing for 300 yards (heck 250 would be something) EVER!!!!!

The NFL over and over is a game that comes down to getting the ball in the endzone and being CAPABLE of throwing the ball.  

There is not a single team that can count on winning games 20-17 that has any chance for success.

Why do we have a coaching staff who refuses to recognize this?

And no it is not all TT's fault.  

There is not one single solitary aspect of this team that is built to make a prolific passing game. 

This is more ore or less the same offense that had one of the most prolific NFL passers in history averaging 220 yds per game and that was a Super Bowl winning season.