Bills to Renovate New Era Field Premium Areas this Offseason

26CornerBlitz

2 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

The southtowns are not only place hit by snow.  Might as well move team to Austin.

I'm just curious how other cold weather cities can build domes that hold up in the snow but Buffalo can't. 

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, PromoTheRobot said:

I'm just curious how other cold weather cities can build domes that hold up in the snow but Buffalo can't. 

I'd tell you to ask Vikings but their dome collapsed.  

http://www.nfl.com/videos/minnesota-vikings/09000d5d81cd4343/Metrodome-roof-collapses

A friend who is a retired architect showed me a design which would work in Buffalo - it technically is not a dome since there is a hole in the roof but keeps most of snow off field and redirects snow along base of stadium.  It does not solve the roads issue however and living in WNY for 20 years I know there is no solution.

A bit of a pet peeve (but also an important distinction) can we stop using “dome” and “roof” interchangeably? I think that the last “dome” constructed may have been the Georgia Dome and it is no longer standing. Since that time, off the top of my head, we have seen “roofs” on the following stadiums: Dallas, Houston, Detroit, Indy, Atlanta, Minnesota, Arizona and soon to be Vegas. 

If the Bills do have some protection from the weather, it isn’t going to be some dome that collapses under snowfall!! It’s not 1984 anymore.

• Like (+1) 2

On 12/19/2017 at 12:21 PM, 26CornerBlitz said:

A facility with a high dollar cost should be able to host year round events to maximize usage beyond 10 scheduled Bills' games per year.

Exactly how many high dollar cost stadiums around the country are returning that extra cost? And if you say there are ones that do, please share the proof that they do so.  Plus it is not just the stadium. It is cost for upgrading mass transit, parking, roads and infrastructure to support those events. State and county taxpayers can not afford to support these "palaces" for a small minority  of attendees and businesses that do  benefit from them.

10 hours ago, Limeaid said:

I'd tell you to ask Vikings but their dome collapsed.  

http://www.nfl.com/videos/minnesota-vikings/09000d5d81cd4343/Metrodome-roof-collapses

A friend who is a retired architect showed me a design which would work in Buffalo - it technically is not a dome since there is a hole in the roof but keeps most of snow off field and redirects snow along base of stadium.  It does not solve the roads issue however and living in WNY for 20 years I know there is no solution.

The new Vikings stadium is super impressive - the roof is a double wall thin membrane that they can pump air through to knock off snow and ice.  I had a little tour this summer and got to check out a few of the panels in their office, cool stuff.

http://www.vikings.com/news/new-stadium/article-1/Innovative-Roof-Makes-US-Bank-Stadium-Lighten-Up/472f5cb5-d803-4dba-8541-3e6c9c6f4f3a

"clear is the new retractable"

• Like (+1) 1

This is actually badly needed.  Past number of years we have switched to club seats to make the game day experience better for my senior citizen Dad, and we always say hey we'll hang out and have a drink in the lounge this year - but every time it is just a nightmare of congestion and not worth it

19 minutes ago, simpleman said:

Exactly how many high dollar cost stadiums around the country are returning that extra cost? And if you say there are ones that do, please share the proof that they do so.  Plus it is not just the stadium. It is cost for upgrading mass transit, parking, roads and infrastructure to support those events. State and county taxpayers can not afford to support these "palaces" for a small minority  of attendees and businesses that do  benefit from them.

Speaking of proof, you throw around a lot of what-ifs without much proof of who is paying for what.

Syracuse Carrier Dome has been holding off the snow since 1979, and it’s construction was the same as the old Vikings stadium. Though they are switching to a solid roof within the next few years. 

But back on topic, I’m looking forward to the club renovations. 

• Like (+1) 2

I don't get why everyone thinks a covered stadium has to cost billions. Unless taxes & construction are just that high in NY, we've seen quite a few teams build non-billion dollar covered stadiums.

Maybe with inflation it could creep up there, but even then there are some built for under a billion.

6 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

A bit of a pet peeve (but also an important distinction) can we stop using “dome” and “roof” interchangeably? I think that the last “dome” constructed may have been the Georgia Dome and it is no longer standing. Since that time, off the top of my head, we have seen “roofs” on the following stadiums: Dallas, Houston, Detroit, Indy, Atlanta, Minnesota, Arizona and soon to be Vegas. 

If the Bills do have some protection from the weather, it isn’t going to be some dome that collapses under snowfall!! It’s not 1984 anymore.

We are going to build a dome with astro-turf

• Haha (+1) 2

5 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Speaking of proof, you throw around a lot of what-ifs without much proof of who is paying for what.

"Exactly how many high dollar cost stadiums around the country are returning that extra cost? And if you say there are ones that do, please share the proof that they do so.  Plus it is not just the stadium. It is cost for upgrading mass transit, parking, roads and infrastructure to support those events. State and county taxpayers can not afford to support these "palaces" for a small minority  of attendees and businesses that do  benefit from them. "

I don't throw around what ifs. If you think that the taxpayers don't pay for infrastructure, roads, mass transit, sewer, water then who does? Exactly who do you think pays for them? And exactly how many current NFL stadiums are currently not subsidized by the taxpayers?  If you call those what ifs, I can't help you. If you want a high end "palace", then build it without taxpayer support or incentives, that is a true free enterprise in action. I would gladly cheer on your expenses and efforts to build it as extravagantly as you desire.

Someone who tries to throw off a question by asking  more questions is a sign that someone is unwilling to answer the tough questions by trying to avoid them. I'm still waiting for you to answer the first question, what high end stadiums are there that generate more taxpayer benefit and income than the taxpayers have invested in them? Please answer the questions instead of trying to dodge them.

• 3 months later...
On 12/26/2017 at 11:10 PM, Limeaid said:

The southtowns are not only place hit by snow.  Might as well move team to Austin.

No, but it's a statistical fact the Southtowns get far more snow that the city or other suburbs. 

Edited by PromoTheRobot

On 12/27/2017 at 4:16 PM, simpleman said:

"Exactly how many high dollar cost stadiums around the country are returning that extra cost? And if you say there are ones that do, please share the proof that they do so.  Plus it is not just the stadium. It is cost for upgrading mass transit, parking, roads and infrastructure to support those events. State and county taxpayers can not afford to support these "palaces" for a small minority  of attendees and businesses that do  benefit from them. "

I don't throw around what ifs. If you think that the taxpayers don't pay for infrastructure, roads, mass transit, sewer, water then who does? Exactly who do you think pays for them? And exactly how many current NFL stadiums are currently not subsidized by the taxpayers?  If you call those what ifs, I can't help you. If you want a high end "palace", then build it without taxpayer support or incentives, that is a true free enterprise in action. I would gladly cheer on your expenses and efforts to build it as extravagantly as you desire.

Someone who tries to throw off a question by asking  more questions is a sign that someone is unwilling to answer the tough questions by trying to avoid them. I'm still waiting for you to answer the first question, what high end stadiums are there that generate more taxpayer benefit and income than the taxpayers have invested in them? Please answer the questions instead of trying to dodge them.

LOL, you point a finger at me for asking questions and then you just did the same! 

You bring up a lot of things like transit, sewers, etc without knowing exactly what has to be done for a new stadium. You just assume it's a fortune and taxpayers will pay for it. 

To my best knowledge there hasn't been a fully privately funded stadium. Gillette in Foxboro was fully paid for by Krafty  Bob but the state paid for the highway improvements. So yes, Joe Taxpayer picks up part of the tab. But the other side of the equation is how much return on investment there is. 

Governments factor that in. If they spend $100 million in infrastructure but earn $300 million in economic benefits over the life of that investment, then it pretty much is worth doing, no? 

Edited by PromoTheRobot

On 12/27/2017 at 5:42 PM, RevWarRifleman said:

Renovate again? They just got done. This stadium has had more face lifts than Joan Rivers!

It is a waste of money but we're still likely 10 years away from the opening of a new stadium. I almost expect UB to take over New Era after the Bills leave. Hopefully UB can build up the football program similar to the basketball program. 

Edited by TheTruthHurts

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

No, but it's a statistical fact the Southtowns get far more snow that the city or other suburbs. 

Sure but people still need to drive wherever stadium is and when Southtowns get that much snow roads are bad in whole area usually.

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said Wednesday he believes the Buffalo Bills are in the “very early stage” of planning to extensively renovate or replace New Era Field, the team’s home field since 1973.

Roger even used the revovate word. 

The key issue IMO is transportation. Add an express lane for buses, etc to key parts outside of area and that can help with transportation issues.  The bones of the stadium are good but the entire field should be replaced, heating elements added field made more impact friendly.

On 12/16/2017 at 5:42 PM, Buffalo716 said:

Just in

I was just guaranteed from my source Buffalo Billy that the Bills WILL play 16 games next year

yes you heard it here first. They will in fact be playing 16 games next year 

AND we will be wearing red white and blue

But Red Helmets??

I Prefer Blue

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

56 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

It is a waste of money but we're still likely 10 years away from the opening of a new stadium. I almost expect UB to take over New Era after the Bills leave. Hopefully UB can build up the football program similar to the basketball program. 

Speaking of ub, if they build up the football program could be interesting partners in building a new stadium downtown. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Why would UB take over a stadium that's on the other side of town when they have their own stadium? I do agree that UB football would be a great addition to a new downtown covered stadium.

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

Sure but people still need to drive wherever stadium is and when Southtowns get that much snow roads are bad in whole area usually.

I forgot what the point was. That we can't build a dome/roofed stadium because it snows?

14 minutes ago, boater said:

Maybe they plan on staying in the "dump"

Could be. UB got burned last time they played at (what was) RWS. They got hit with an unexpected $100K for snow removal. That's what keeps them from playing there more. Too bad. That Bowling Green game was the largest UB crowd for an October or November game, 4th largest ever. 26K+.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

3 hours ago, boater said:

Maybe they plan on staying in the "dump"

I hope so.

I love going to games at the Ralph. I like that its not all Hollywood like new stadiums.

And a new stadium means the price of football goes up significantly.

We don't need no stinkin' new stadium.

Edited by reddogblitz

11 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

So yes, Joe Taxpayer picks up part of the tab. But the other side of the equation is how much return on investment there is. 

Governments factor that in. If they spend $100 million in infrastructure but earn $300 million in economic benefits over the life of that investment, then it pretty much is worth doing, no? 

The evidence shows that governments have ignored the financial realities.

Indeed, there is little evidence that stadiums provide even local economic benefits. Decades of academic studies consistently find no discernible positive relationship between sports facilities and local economic development, income growth, or job creation. 

The economic benefits the the politicians crow about simply don't exist. As far as the politician is concerned that doesn't matter as long as the voters believe it is true. It appeals to emotion which makes it an easy sell. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/16/2017 at 12:24 PM, Kirby Jackson said:

Twist words much? 

I think that the Bills need to close the revenue gap with larger market teams because the shared revenue pool is a bubble that isn’t going to grow much more. I don’t want to be a have not. Yes, I think that the next stadium should be a public-private partnership, just like everyone else is doing!! I don’t think being the lowest revenue club in the NFL is a good long-term strategy. I think a couple hundred million in PSLs is perfectly reasonable.

I am a little sensitive on the subject because it’s an area that I know well.  Do you think that the Pegula’s have been competent as owners??? Rex, Murray, Bylsma, etc... They took a hockey team with a world of assets and turned that rebuild into the worst team in the league!!

Not to mention Pegula’s wheelhouse is apparently hockey and the Sabres, whereas his wife is more of the Bills fan than he ever was. 

Personally I think Pegula is just too easily sold on ideas because he has no experience in the world of sports ownership, and being 2018 we know every painfully obvious misstep from that lack of experience. 

But he’s rich and kept the team here so every fan has their mouth opened wide and ready to receive. 

On 12/16/2017 at 10:22 AM, PromoTheRobot said:

I was about to say something similar. Why pour millions into a dump you're ready to move out of? 

Because they arent planning to move and these talks and behind the scenes things are just to appease Goodell to make them look like they aee doing things?

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Gigs said:

Not to mention Pegula’s wheelhouse is apparently hockey and the Sabres, whereas his wife is more of the Bills fan than he ever was. 

Personally I think Pegula is just too easily sold on ideas because he has no experience in the world of sports ownership, and being 2018 we know every painfully obvious misstep from that lack of experience. 

But he’s rich and kept the team here so every fan has their mouth opened wide and ready to receive. 

That story applies to municipalities bending over to pay fully for stadiums. It doesn't discuss partnerships where the team owner pays the lion's share. 

If you've been down to Canalside, then you know how much that development is being driven by the Pegulas, and the city is reaping the benefit. If the city, county and state are smart, they invest to keep that momentum going. 

Edited by PromoTheRobot