Christmas ? real or artificial or upside down

mead107

1 hour ago, mead107 said:

We went artificial last year. 

New trend is the upside down tree. 

Would you get one ?  Ornaments hanging nice 

Nothing but real so far. But after taking a mortgage out to buy a tree yesterday, artificial may be in the cards December 26. 

Have no clue what you mean by upside down tree. 

Edited by plenzmd1

Hanging the tree upside down is a new fad.  It would let the ornaments hang better and allow better access under or near the tree.  But it just seems weird.  I don't know the mechanics of how it's done.

We go with an artificial tree because it takes my wife forever to hang ornaments, and then forever to take them down.  The thing is in our family room for at least six weeks.  Can't do that with a real tree.  Needles would all fall off.

Real tree so the kids and animals.can knock all of the needles off and I have to clean them up every day....and I don't like the upside down tree idea one bit. Somehow over the course of history the ornaments managed to stay on just fine. Now it's a problem.

10 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

Real. My father in law has a Christmas tree farm so we usually go down and help him cut and stack trees, help him shear trees in off season and then go down and cut one when ready. Usually fraser fir or concolor fir. 

Better watch out, the anti-fir coalition will come get you.

Artificial for us. 

• Haha (+1) 1

I remember when I was young and my parents switched from real to artificial - I hated that plastic tree. We get a real tree because I like the outdoor scent of a tree in the winter. When my kid was young, we'd go to a tree farm and cut our own. That's pricey, so now that he's older, we just buy one from the grocery store parking lot.

Trees have been hung upside down since the 1500s.  The shape of the upside down tree symbolizes Christ hanging on the cross, as well as the trinity.

https://www.thespruce.com/upside-down-christmas-trees-eastern-tradition-1135800

As far as our trees ... for the last 7 or 8 years .... they've been real and they've been spectacular.

We have 3 indoor cats (thank God one's on loan from the zoo and off @ collegecollege, but It'll be for Winter Break...<_<) and indoor trees are such a waste, PITA with those 3 nusances.  I am getting too old to create a Federal engineering project to protect and tether an indoor tree.

We have perfectly symmetrical outside tree.  About 15 feet tall now.  Was only a foot tall 20 years ago.  It was a friend's tree... She was moving to Florida and her land being sold and redeveloped. Dug that small tree up and transplanted it here.  Getting close to deck now... Would be cool to extend deck and build the deck around tree with some fancy craftsmanship.

Lights, decorations set to go.  Getting hard to reach star and decorate  with 8' ladder... May have to buy a 12' step ladder.

Blue spruce.

Artificial.

When my son was little he really, really, really wanted a real tree. When he was 10, my ex-husband and I capitulated. What a mess. I hadn't had a real tree for over 10 years at that point, and that little disaster reminded me why. Never again. When I miss the scent I can buy an evergreen candle. 

3 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Artificial.

When my son was little he really, really, really wanted a real tree. When he was 10, my ex-husband and I capitulated. What a mess. I hadn't had a real tree for over 10 years at that point, and that little disaster reminded me why. Never again. When I miss the scent I can buy an evergreen candle. 

Hey!  This is a family board.  How'd that get past the filter!

:D^_^

3 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

Real. My father in law has a Christmas tree farm so we usually go down and help him cut and stack trees, help him shear trees in off season and then go down and cut one when ready. Usually fraser fir or concolor fir. 

We believe this whole setup has been created in an attempt for your father-in-law to off you.  “Yes officer, my son in law was cutting down trees when the saw slipped and just happened to decapitate him.  It was an ugly but unfortunate accident. I’ll really miss the guy.”

To the point of the thread we went artificial years ago but real tress are better.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

Trees have been hung upside down since the 1500s.  The shape of the upside down tree symbolizes Christ hanging on the cross, as well as the trinity.

https://www.thespruce.com/upside-down-christmas-trees-eastern-tradition-1135800

As far as our trees ... for the last 7 or 8 years .... they've been real and they've been spectacular.

This was brought up on 96.9 in the morning earlier this week. In some European countries they have been doing this. I think in north Ameica it became a hipster thing now and it's been explained that some do it cause it shows off the decorations better because they hang off the tree instead of into it, and it gives more space below for gifts as they can be stacked higher instead of out which of course is the most important part. 

13 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

We believe this whole setup has been created in an attempt for your father-in-law to off you.  “Yes officer, my son in law was cutting down trees when the saw slipped and just happened to decapitate him.  It was an ugly but unfortunate accident. I’ll really miss the guy.”

To the point of the thread we went artificial years ago but real tress are better.

"We warned him not to climb that old rickety ladder with the saw but he wouldn't listen and insisted he knew what he was doing" Watch out after tomorrow doing this cause it could easily change to "h e said he couldn't take it anymore, he couldn't live in a world with Brady and the Patriots anymore and then we heard the chainsaw...."

• Haha (+1) 1

Fake all the way. I'm not cleaning that **** up. I actually thought the upside down fad was over. I Remer seeing it years ago. Now they have colored trees. They real, ( I think they are because you by them from a tree lot) and as far as I know, they're extremely expensive. 

1 hour ago, BuffaloBill said:

Very possible. He lets me use the chainsaw only after he “checks it over”. Now you have me thinking. 

8 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

You have to do something to supplement that low income of yours

We went fake  for the first time last year. The wife started getting sick from the tree or something it was sprayed with about 5 years ago, and it became too much to deal with. Too bad, but I’ll live with it. 

On 12/2/2017 at 7:43 AM, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Fake tree.  Who the hell does an upside down Christmas tree?  Hipster millennials?  Seems paganistic.

While making their wheat macaroni pasta art in their Trix colored man capris. 

Edited by Tierlifer

Upside down tree?  

Since it's summer down here in the southern hemisphere, the heat of the day would instantly dry out a real tree.  That said, I love our fake tree, but try to burn a little balsam incense from the Adirondacks to make it all seem real.

Was just in Germany this past week.  Man, the real trees there were absolutely incredible.  Super full, dark green.  50 Euro ($60) for a 6 ft tree.

And artificial if I get mine out of the basement and put together.

Edited by BuffaloBud

1 hour ago, BeginnersMind said:

45 seconds of vacuuming? 

we have a dog, cat, and a two and a half year old.  there would be more that just a quick vacuum here and there.  on top of that, i don't have to lug that thing in and out of the house, out to the curb, etc.  fake trees are for closers.  you're not a closer.

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

Mine going up really easy as I found out about these guys these guys this year! Even easier than fake!

https://treeelves.net/

Admit it...you just have a thing for elves. 

I’d do that, but the wife developed some kind of allergy to the tree or something it’s sprayed with over the last 5+/- years. She’d get sicker and sicker every year and I ignored it as long as I could. After half a decade, it was not just a coincidence. 

1 hour ago, Augie said:

Admit it...you just have a thing for elves. 

I’d do that, but the wife developed some kind of allergy to the tree or something it’s sprayed with over the last 5+/- years. She’d get sicker and sicker every year and I ignored it as long as I could. After half a decade, it was not just a coincidence. 

I get the impression that your wife and mine are very similar with regard to severe dietary/environmental sensitivities.   I bet we would have a very interesting conversation.  I support my wife unconditionally, but secretly am skeptical of some things.