Bills to fly to LAX in style

zow2

Saw a tweet from the Buffalo Airport.  The Bills are chartering one of the last Delta 747-400 aircraft in their fleet.  It will be retired in December.  It's scheduled to depart Buffalo around 12:30pm to LAX.  Pretty cool since the airport rarely sees the 747.

4 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

How do they normally fly?

For shorter legs, usually a 757.

Longer legs, a 767.

The London games use Virgin Atlantic. It's part of the contract agreement.

Buffalo''s long runway is 8800' long. That's long enough for a 747-400 on a domestic trip with required fuel and cargo loads.

Regarding the age of the airplane, the 747 series are all being retired because they are too expensive to operate, not because of airworthiness issues.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, sherpa said:

For shorter legs, usually a 757.

Longer legs, a 767.

The London games use Virgin Atlantic. It's part of the contract agreement.

Buffalo''s long runway is 8800' long. That's long enough for a 747-400 on a domestic trip with required fuel and cargo loads.

Regarding the age of the airplane, the 747 series are all being retired because they are too expensive to operate, not because of airworthiness issues.

And they're not being retired. They are the work horse for cargo now. With proper maintenance  they'll be around for decades. The USAF is still flying 50 year old B-52s.

The last BILLS 747 that I recall, was to London.  We lost that one!  Hopefully that wasn't an omen!

I'm not the superstitious type BUT, the way things are going, we need all the help we can get.

Maybe Terry is just "kicking the tires," and this is an option for the new BILLS plane?

11 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

How do they normally fly?

They used to have charter but airlines cancelled deals with multiple teams to make more money elsewhere.

2 hours ago, zow2 said:

https://twitter.com/bufairport/status/931838238263795712

If they give up 200+ yards rushing again and lose, Pegula should not spring for anything more than a Greyhound bus ticket home for each player.

Perfect solution for a twit.

2 hours ago, zow2 said:

If they give up 200+ yards rushing again and lose, Pegula should not spring for anything more than a Greyhound bus ticket home for each player.

He is fighting a losing war on two fronts..........his Sabres are the Browns of hockey with no relief in sight......... so I would guess he's about where McD is when addressing the run defense........problem is past punishment and more about bad decisions by his managers that are ultimately on ownership.

19 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

He is fighting a losing war on two fronts..........his Sabres are the Browns of hockey with no relief in sight......... so I would guess he's about where McD is when addressing the run defense........problem is past punishment and more about bad decisions by his managers that are ultimately on ownership.

Unfortunately, the Sabres amassed assets like the Celtics did, but then used those assets poorly.  The Celtics and to an extent, the Sixers demonstrated a great ability to amass and utilize assets.  Although the Sixers have had their misses along the way.  Hopefully the Sabres can catch up with more recent choices, like the Sixers.

We have no way to assess how the BIlls are doing on this front, but give it two years.

Edited by dulles

They had an easier trip than I did.  Started in Albany on a 10:50 AM flight, land in Baltimore, stay on the plane, land in Chicago, stay on the plane, land in Las Vegas get off the plane, wait almost 3 hours in Las Vegas for flight to John Wayne airport in Orange County, arrive at airport around 9PM PST.  13+ hours traveling.  Next stop: bandbox stadium Sunday. 

1 minute ago, Albany,n.y. said:

They had an easier trip than I did.  Started in Albany on a 10:50 AM flight, land in Baltimore, stay on the plane, land in Chicago, stay on the plane, land in Las Vegas get off the plane, wait almost 3 hours in Las Vegas for flight to John Wayne airport in Orange County, arrive at airport around 9PM PST.  13+ hours traveling.  Next stop: bandbox stadium Sunday. 

I'm guessing that was because you were price sensitive and based on your circuitous route, purchased a Southwest ticket.

There are far easier ways.

5 hours ago, sherpa said:

I meant from passenger service.

Four engines is considerably more expensive to operate.

Can't give away an Airbus 380 these days.

747 was originally designed as cargo anyway, thus the flight deck on the upper level. 

Interesting stuff I never knew that.  I havent flown in a 747 in a long long time.  I recall a few long trips back from Europe, spending almost the entire trip in the upstairs bar,  man was that a fun way to travel.

13 minutes ago, sherpa said:

I'm guessing that was because you were price sensitive and based on your circuitous route, purchased a Southwest ticket.

There are far easier ways.

Yep. But I didn't have LAX as a choice because my friends who I'm going to the game with live in Orange County & picked me up at the airport.  The Bills didn't have any friends pick them up at LAX.  

Edited by Albany,n.y.

12 hours ago, zow2 said:

Saw a tweet from the Buffalo Airport.  The Bills are chartering one of the last Delta 747-400 aircraft in their fleet.  It will be retired in December.  It's scheduled to depart Buffalo around 12:30pm to LAX.  Pretty cool since the airport rarely sees the 747.

I got to fly on a 747 this August...interesting plane.  I'm sure it will provide lots of room for everyone.  It was cool to fly in a 747...always wanted to do so as a kid. 
It was definitely a step down from more modern airliners, but you can't beat the spaciousness (unless you go military grade).  

6 hours ago, sherpa said:

I meant from passenger service.

Four engines is considerably more expensive to operate.

Can't give away an Airbus 380 these days.

747 was originally designed as cargo anyway, thus the flight deck on the upper level. 

Not exactly.  Boeing was in a competition to provide a heavy subsonic hauler, but even before they lost that contract, the president of Pan Am approached Boeing for a bigger faster airliner and the 747 as it was initially designed and launched came from that design request.  The team that designed the plane then made it so it could easily be converted to cargo if "supersonic" transport ever caught on for passenger carriage (the Concorde would be the only attempt at that).

5 hours ago, Steptide said:

I guess I'm not plane savvy. What is a 747-400?

For many years it’s been the queen of the sky, twin aisles, 4 engines and the “hump”.  The end of this year is the sunset of 747 service in the USA. United and Delta both retiring their fleets. Some foreign carriers like Lufthansa fly the slightly larger 747-800 and many fly the huge Airbus A380.  The newer twin engine 787 and A350 are more fuel efficient and will replace 747s for U.S. airlines.

I'm not saying that it was designed to only be a freighter. 

It was developed with a thought that it would have to have cargo only capability, if supersonic travel eliminated subsonic, long range airliners. thus the hinge-able nose.

At the time, side loading double deck airplanes was not possible, so the the hinged nose would allow front loading.

All that has changed, and now side loading is possible.

Still, the design acknowledges that issue, as there was no other reason to put the flight deck on a different level.  

5 hours ago, zow2 said:

Now that's funny.  Make sure it's a commercial bus so they have to stop every 10 miles like I had to going to FL during Spring Break.