Every Nate Peterman throw from the Saints game

HappyDays

6 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I think it was a slight deflection by the DB.  

BTW, Author's conclusion: Do I believe he should be the starter? No, not yet, but his fourth quarter performance against the Saints really gave you a glimpse into what he can do.

Yeah, it was the endzone throw where DT was getting interfered with and should have drawn a DPI.  As for not starting yet, he can definitely start now.  Get him all the real game action you can.

10 minutes ago, Doc said:

One was the drop by KB, right?

No, one was the incompletion to O’Leary which Erik blames on O’Leary for not recognizing the blitz and getting his body around faster for a quick pass. The 2nd was the deep end zone throw to Thompson where the ball placement and decision were pretty close to perfect, Thompson just couldn’t get any separation. Peterman can beat teams on the blitz because of his quick recognition. Only someone with an agenda would say those 2 incompletions prove anything.

28 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

"On the two occasions where they blitzed him and had guys up and around the line of scrimmage, a blue print laid down by the Jets, Peterman threw two incompletions. "

Those 'two incompletions' were both thrown pretty much exactly where they needed to be. 

11 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I think it was a slight deflection by the DB.  

BTW, Author's conclusion: Do I believe he should be the starter? No, not yet, but his fourth quarter performance against the Saints really gave you a glimpse into what he can do.

That's a part of the author's conclusion.

"With the offense in a funk the last two games, the losses piling up and playoff chances diminishing by the week, seeing Peterman play that well with most of the offensive starters still in, really showed me that the gap between he and Taylor may be diminishing."

I know the key words in the last paragraph are "may be," but his conclusion was more than just a plain no. The author added that gap qualifier at the end of his story.

And hence 13 pages on NP vs TT.

Unless Tyrod balls out vs LAC i think you have to go to Peterman.  The plan and the process is to make the playoffs and build for the future.  If the player is not able to determine cover 2 and tampa 2 and know the correct throw who would be upset with it.

Just now, GoBills808 said:

Those 'two incompletions' were both thrown pretty much exactly where they needed to be. 

They were the right idea, but exactly where they needed to be would have resulted in completions.  The ball to Thompson was overthrown and the pass to O"Leary was off target (or they weren't on the same page). 

6 minutes ago, nkreed said:

That's a part of the author's conclusion.

"With the offense in a funk the last two games, the losses piling up and playoff chances diminishing by the week, seeing Peterman play that well with most of the offensive starters still in, really showed me that the gap between he and Taylor may be diminishing."

I know the key words in the last paragraph are "may be," but his conclusion was more than just a plain no. The author added that gap qualifier at the end of his story.

And hence 13 pages on NP vs TT.

9 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

“I believe in Tyrod.  Tyrod’s our starter,” McDermott reiterated to reporters once again.

McDermott acknowledged that he understands why some fans would be calling for Taylor’s benching and for the team to play rookie Nathan Peterman, but added “I know what Tyrod’s done and I also know what Nate’s done, and Tyrod’s our starter.”

Peterman did enter the game late in the fourth quarter with the Bills trailing 40-3.  He completed 7-of-10 passes for 79 yards, including his first career TD pass in the NFL, a 7-yard toss to tight end Nick O’Leary. 

“Nathan’s a good player,” McDermott said.  “I like what he did yesterday.  I think he did some good things in the game.  I know where they’re coming from, from a fans’ standpoint.”

Which matters not one bit with regard to what actually happens.  Status quo......for now.

Starting Peterman on the road against the Chargers' pass rush probably isn't the best idea, and Arrowhead is even worse. Matching up a rookie with zero starts against Belichick would be cruel and unusual punishment. If things keep trending downward, the logical game would be the Dec 10 home game against the Colts.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Which matters not one bit with regard to what actually happens.  Status quo......for now.

I agree with these statements (probably because they are factsB-)).

Your McD bolded statement about fans is how this thread comes about though. Peterman showed some good things.

31 minutes ago, QCity said:

Starting Peterman on the road against the Chargers' pass rush probably isn't the best idea, and Arrowhead is even worse. Matching up a rookie with zero starts against Belichick would be cruel and unusual punishment. If things keep trending downward, the logical game would be the Dec 10 home game against the Colts.

Playing Taylor may not be any better.  Are they going to be able to stop the run or move the ball?  It not that people think Peterman is the next best thing but Taylor has looked inept for the majorty of 2 weeks now.

He should have been put in much sooner, like at the start of the 4th qtr. McDermott had to know the defense wasn't going to stop NO anyway. Not sure how Taylor wound up playing so skittish after playing reasonably competent up until the Jets game. Oh yeah, we traded Dareus 

22 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Peterman reads the field quickly and trusts what he sees. He trusts his arm and trusts his teammate to make the play.

Things an NFL quarterback needs to be successful.

Things that the current starting quarterback does not have. As a result, the current starting quarterback will never be successful in this league.

That's the crazy thing.  It's obvious to most of us that TT is not going to get any better.  Throw out his first year but the last two have shown no development,  more regression than anything.  Peterman shows so much upside.  He won't be any worse so why not make the change. Yet, the coaching staff has no balls to pull the trigger.  Its maddening.

My god. Enough with the Peterman hate.  When he plays and stinks it up then you can complain.

A better thread title: Every Nate Peterman Throw from the Saints' Game in Garbage Time against Backups who wanted the Clock to Run.  Hooray! Give him the job. :rolleyes:

Okay. :thumbsup:

Yeah. Sure it was. 

Peterman is the backup. Okay :thumbsup:

8 hours ago, Bills Pimpin' said:

Don't understand the post but... Okay:thumbsup:

He's captain of the Anti-Peterman Brigade

8 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Hurry! Call OBD to let them know what you've concluded.  Many of the starters were sitting down, including Lattimore. 

"On the two occasions where they blitzed him and had guys up and around the line of scrimmage, a blue print laid down by the Jets, Peterman threw two incompletions. "

8 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Okay.  :thumbsup:

#SP

8 minutes ago, Jukester said:

That's the crazy thing.  It's obvious to most of us that TT is not going to get any better.  Throw out his first year but the last two have shown no development,  more regression than anything.  Peterman shows so much upside.  He won't be any worse so why not make the change. Yet, the coaching staff has no balls to pull the trigger.  Its maddening.

As hard as I've been on Tyrod this season, I don't disagree with their decision to not pull him quite yet. He's a team captain, the team is still in a Wild Card position and he had one terrible game. If he has two more terrible games on the road these next two weeks, then I'll be calling for Peterman to start at home against the Patriots.

8 hours ago, HappyDays said:

No, one was the incompletion to O’Leary which Erik blames on O’Leary for not recognizing the blitz and getting his body around faster for a quick pass. The 2nd was the deep end zone throw to Thompson where the ball placement and decision were pretty close to perfect, Thompson just couldn’t get any separation. Peterman can beat teams on the blitz because of his quick recognition. Only someone with an agenda would say those 2 incompletions prove anything.

I think NP expected NO to continue across the field, hence throwing ahead of him.  But NO was late getting his head around to look for the ball and probably could have caught it if he'd looked sooner.  And again, on the pass to DT he was being interfered with.

8 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Yep. 

19 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

My god. Enough with the Peterman hate.  When he plays and stinks it up then you can complain.

He's captain of the Anti-Peterman Brigade

#SP

Aww. Someone's upset because I won't heap praise on the backup QB who led a TD drive in garbage time.  You should get over your pathetic preoccupation with what I post regarding Peterman.

GenuineForthrightIbex-max-14mb.gif

You're due for a change. 

17 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

As hard as I've been on Tyrod this season, I don't disagree with their decision to not pull him quite yet. He's a team captain, the team is still in a Wild Card position and he had one terrible game. If he has two more terrible games on the road these next two weeks, then I'll be calling for Peterman to start at home against the Patriots.

Carolina - Not impressive

Cincinnati - Not impressive

JETS - Not impressive

Saints - Not impressive

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

Aww. Someone's upset because I won't heap praise on the backup QB who led a TD drive in garbage time.  You should get over your pathetic preoccupation with what I post regarding Peterman.

GenuineForthrightIbex-max-14mb.gif

You're due for a change. 

Yes we ARE due for a change at QB,  Sadly you will be the last to realize it.  

2 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

JETS - Not impressive

Saints - Not impressive

In your meaningless opinion.  Meanwhile Peterman remains the backup.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

14 minutes ago, nucci said:

I get the Taylor criticism but you're praising Peterman incompletions?

the point there was he was basically on target where TT's were not catchable. 

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

In your meaningless opinion.  Meanwhile Peterman is remains the backup.

Who's feelings are hurt?  Be honest.  We all know it is yours.   

FTR 

For the last 2 years I have said Taylor won't be THAT guy.   I'm batting 1000. 

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

1 minute ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Who's feelings are hurt?  Be honest.  We all know it is yours.   

Obviously yours. You don't see me quoting or responding to what you post, because I don't care. 

5 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

In your meaningless opinion.  Meanwhile Peterman is remains the backup.

Whats that saying   -  Keep clinging to your guns and Religion.  

3 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Obviously yours. You don't see me quoting or responding to what you post, because I don't care. 

No, we see you Copying and Pasting the same graphics repeatedly.  

You don't care???  :lol: :lol: :lol: YET  ... here you are quoting me.   Have a nice day 26CopyPaste

Lovingly

Mrs. Peterman   (you see I don't mind it) 

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

17 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

ok, fair enough

4 hours ago, bills11 said:

even with a short sample size one thing 

peterman does well is scan the field which tyrod struggles with

I get this but Saints were rushing 4 against our 5 blockers and playing soft zone coverage.

This is just a thing of beauty. I fell like I've never seen this throw from Tyrod in 3 seasons. Probably have, but they're so rare 

• Like (+1) 1

Taylor doesn't trust his own accuracy.

Taylor doesn't trust his receivers to make a play.

His avoidance of possible 'mistakes' makes him a mistake.

If he is here in 2018, ticket sales will drop off the ledge and maybe that is what is needed to conclusively end this mistake.

6 minutes ago, hemma said:

Taylor doesn't trust his own accuracy.

Taylor doesn't trust his receivers to make a play.

His avoidance of possible 'mistakes' makes him a mistake.

If he is here in 2018, ticket sales will drop off the ledge and maybe that is what is needed to conclusively end this mistake.

I can't imagine any scenario minus Taylor taking us to the superbowl that he's here next season

45 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

JETS - Not impressive

Saints - Not impressive

Eh I agree the rest of the games but I thought he played pretty good in the Jets game despite the result. 

30 minutes ago, nucci said:

ok, fair enough

I get this but Saints were rushing 4 against our 5 blockers and playing soft zone coverage.

I am telling you, as someone who has defended Tyrod plenty, Tyrod would not have made that throw in that exact same situation. The ball is being released as Benjamin makes his break. This is exactly what Tyrod struggles with. I think Tyrod would have thrown the ball to the short crosser or the checkdown (the 2 players standing at the 50). Even on the day I visited training camp I saw Peterman make a couple throws that I did not think Tyrod would have made in the same situation.

Every team we face is in zone coverage because that’s where Tyrod struggles. Peterman is a technician when it comes to finding the hole in the zones and anticipating where the receiver will be.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, PeterGriffin said:

Garbage time or not? Pre garbage time he was meh. Post garbage time, his stats looked ok.

I also consider the circumstances. Everyone wants to blame every sack on Tyrod but that's not the case. The Oline was Swiss cheese that day. Even Glenn sucked. I seen a couple plays where Glenn was practically on top of Tyrod before making contact with the defender. That's never good for a lineman. 

it's such a simple play and Tyrod makes it look so hard.  if that's him, he is ducking and scrambling around and then trying to chuck it down the field.  he's not running the easy play he tries to make everything look spectacular.  consistency is making the easy play time and time again and marching down the field and controlling the clock.  Tyrod simply can't do that

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, nucci said:

ok, fair enough

It doesn't matter what the Saints are doing, what matters is the QB read the coverage and made a good throw into a temporary window.  Every play is unique and finding someone who can analyze each play efficiently is what separates the Tyrods from the (insert good passer here)

Edit:. What's also missing in that video is highlighting that after he scans the impending passing window he shifts his weight and hips to load up for the throw which is great foot work but also anticipation of the coming play.

Edited by Woodman19

20 minutes ago, Woodman19 said:

It doesn't matter what the Saints are doing, what matters is the QB read the coverage and made a good throw into a temporary window.  Every play is unique and finding someone who can analyze each play efficiently is what separates the Tyrods from the (insert good passer here)

Edit:. What's also missing in that video is highlighting that after he scans the impending passing window he shifts his weight and hips to load up for the throw which is great foot work but also anticipation of the coming play.

The problem is Taylor plays like every play and snap is unique but its not.  There is a finite amount of coverages a defense can use.  The alignment of the safites post snap cuts that in half.  Once you have an idea of the coverage you than know where the ball needs to go.  Now the differance in success on that throw is about .5 seconds.   That is why I went from team Taylor to Peterman.  The Saints the whole 2nd half played a cover 2 variant on third down.  Not once did Taylor figure out where the hole was not once.  Peterman on the first throw did.  I really like the slant to Benjamin.  Corner jumped it but the placememt was only benjamin could catch it.  

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

I am telling you, as someone who has defended Tyrod plenty, Tyrod would not have made that throw in that exact same situation. The ball is being released as Benjamin makes his break. This is exactly what Tyrod struggles with. I think Tyrod would have thrown the ball to the short crosser or the checkdown (the 2 players standing at the 50). Even on the day I visited training camp I saw Peterman make a couple throws that I did not think Tyrod would have made in the same situation.

Every team we face is in zone coverage because that’s where Tyrod struggles. Peterman is a technician when it comes to finding the hole in the zones and anticipating where the receiver will be.

I agree and this is part of the issue with TT stats.  He would most likely complete the pass because the guys at the 50 both can turn around and come to a dead stop and be open and get no yards after catch.

I would expect with Peterman - much like in the preseason and against the Saints - he will make throws into spots that TT will not make with any consistency.  This will open up a lot of things, but at the same time - there will be throws like the 3rd down incompletion to KB that went through his hands - that are not the best of choices because a LB or safety dropped their coverage to get in an underneath throwing lane.

Those throws become turnovers that we would not see with TT.

My complaint about TT is and has been exactly what you said here - hitting the underneath target and not only hitting the underneath target, but hitting them late - so there is no room for the player to make a play.

Look at the throws that Robert Woods is seeing in LA and compare those to the throw here with TT.  The difference in LA is that Woods is getting the ball on breaks and with a bit of space to make plays and in Buffalo it was turnaround and wait for the throw as you stand there.  The other pattern TT is famous for is hitting the WR just before they go out of bounds again no chance for a play by the WR.  I think we have had enough talent at WR and TE the last couple of years, but that talent does not show when your QB does not make the plays.

It started in game 1 with the Int on the first drive against the NYJs and has been the same throughout - TT is late with throws and misses the windows and has to hold the ball way to long because he missed the initial breaks.  He is capable of making plays, but they are delayed plays once everything has settled down and he has time to read and process the field and that is causing issues.

he's Trent Edwards, I am not sold on him yet, throwing comeback routes against a prevent defense does nothing for me.  He is a good backup and we shouldn't fool ourselves that he is anything more than that.  Tyrod is better, but I think Tyrod is a back up, placed into a starting role.

17 minutes ago, frogger said:

he's Trent Edwards, I am not sold on him yet, throwing comeback routes against a prevent defense does nothing for me.  He is a good backup and we shouldn't fool ourselves that he is anything more than that.  Tyrod is better, but I think Tyrod is a back up, placed into a starting role.

I could be wrong about this, but I don't think I've seen Peterman throw a single check down between pre season and the saints game. How can you even compare the two?

At the end of his 5 step drop back he's getting some pressure 

blob.png.a3e82259ae5c9fd98268f02bcfdb0261.png

Then he releases almost immediately.   

1 hour ago, Scott7975 said:

Eh I agree the rest of the games but I thought he played pretty good in the Jets game despite the result. 

That is true.  #'s wise his stats looked good.  

I would like to know what his numbers were up to the end of the 3rd QTR and what his numbers were later in the 4th QTR where the JETS D "relaxed" 

those late 14 points hides what the game really was.  

1 hour ago, Scott7975 said:

I also consider the circumstances. Everyone wants to blame every sack on Tyrod but that's not the case. The Oline was Swiss cheese that day. Even Glenn sucked. I seen a couple plays where Glenn was practically on top of Tyrod before making contact with the defender. That's never good for a lineman. 

Just imagine a 3 to 5 step drop and a quick release by Tyrod.   The Bills would probably only have 2 losses.  

Thats what hurts