Who's looking like our competition for the wild card spots?

Obviously we still have a chance to take the east but I think we lost our chances at that with the loss on Thursday.  With Denver having spiraled and losing to Philly so far today, Houston losing Watson for the year, Baltimore struggling today and being inconsistent all year long, the Chargers and Raiders starting off very slow...what teams do you think are our competition for the two wild card spots?  What's your opinion?

Tennessee 5-3

Jacksonville 5-3 one of Jacksonville/Tennessee will likely take the division

Jets 4-5

Miami 4--4

Baltimore 4-5 

Raiders 4-5 

Chargers 3-5 

Denver 3-5 

Houston 3-5

Cincinnati 3-5

Edited by Buffalo30
Updating records

6 minutes ago, Foreigner said:

You are 5-6 too early with this. The NFL changes week to week more that the weather does.

Maybe so but some teams are definitely falling back and trending down.  Some teams like Denver, the chargers and the raiders, all teams we thought we be competing for those final spots could be in really rough shape with a loss.  If the Raiders lose to Miami tonight, they will be 3-6 putting them in more than a difficult situation.  I don't think it's too early to look at the playoff picture and who it may come down to.  

It's not too early, as more teams are trending downward than usual at this point of the season. I'd say Titans/ Jags from the South. Dolphins, Ravens. The Raiders have enough talent to make a push but it's less likely. Any others would have to be considered long shots. 

If the bills can get to 9 or 10 wins this could be the year they get in.  Not a lot of strong competitors this year with the raiders, dolphins, broncos, bengals, and Ravens being mediocre.

Still early, another half a year to go.  Hopefully the bills are the team that makes the run.

Everybody outside of the division winners completely sucks. I don’t think you can find 6 teams that honestly deserve a playoff spot, but the Bills can cement themselves as one of those teams if they can prove the Jets game was a Thursday night fluke. We sure have as a good a chance as anyone else.

I always look at the playoff race as the countdown to 7 losses.  Once you hit 7, you are pretty much done (in most years).

At this point, the only team out is Cleveland (8 losses).

Indianapolis has 6 losses, and basically needs to win out.

New York, Baltimore, Cincinnati, Houston, Denver, Los Angeles and Oakland are all sitting at 5 losses.  Which means anything more than 1 loss, and they are done too.

This leaves a total of 7 teams currently in contention for 6 playoff spots.

New England, Pittsburgh and Kansas City have 2 losses.

Buffalo, Miami, Tennessee and Jacksonville have 3 losses.

• Like (+1) 1

Bills have a lot of tough games coming up. Saints, Chargers, Chiefs, Pats, Colts, Fish, Pats, Fish. 

I'd say 2 are sure wins - colts, one of the fish games. I don't think we beat them at home. Chargers are NOT bad - so that's a 50-50 game. The rest >50% chance of losing. We're going to need 2-3 upsets to get to a 9 win season. THAT isn't pretty. 

We have a chance against Saints - IF the weather cooperates and is horribly cold and rainy or snows. I'm hoping for cold November Rain and winds LOL. 

20 minutes ago, JPP said:

This is the year to take advantage......lets see if they can actually do it.....

The amazing thing is that it's usually similarly wide open and somehow this team has managed to deftly defy the odds and miss the playoffs 17 straight times.......mostly due to mid-season slides against teams they should beat......like the Jets, for instance.

This seems like an exercise in futility. I will enjoy watching these games coming up and hope I see continued improvement.  I like what I have seen for the most part. Yeah the Jets game was ugly but there were some bright spots. If they make the playoffs I will be very happy, if they don't--that is what I expected when the season started.

25 minutes ago, SaviorPeterman said:

I still think Miami is a lock for a WC will finish 2nd to the Pats in the division which means they'll likely get the #5 seed.

So essentially the Bills will be competing with a handful of other teams for the final spot, likely the Jets, Raiders, Chargers and Titans/Jags. This is of course assuming the season don't go completely off the rails in the next few week and still think that's very probably given the upcoming schedule against teams on a whole other level compared to the Jets that easily beat this team.

Why would you think Miami is a lock for a wild card?  Was it that 40-0 drubbing they took last week?  That 3 point win they had over the Jets in Miami the week before?

2 hours ago, mjt328 said:

I always look at the playoff race as the countdown to 7 losses.  Once you hit 7, you are pretty much done (in most years).

At this point, the only team out is Cleveland (8 losses).

Indianapolis has 6 losses, and basically needs to win out.

New York, Baltimore, Cincinnati, Houston, Denver, Los Angeles and Oakland are all sitting at 5 losses.  Which means anything more than 1 loss, and they are done too.

This leaves a total of 7 teams currently in contention for 6 playoff spots.

New England, Pittsburgh and Kansas City have 2 losses.

Buffalo, Miami, Tennessee and Jacksonville have 3 losses.

I think that's right, although I wouldn't quite count Oakland or the Chargers out yet. The Bills are still in a pretty good place although the loss to the Jets was a big hit (you gotta beat the teams you're supposed to beat), but I'm seriously concerned about one of those AFC West teams catching fire and joining the loser of Tenn/Jax as the other wild card. 

The continuing good news from the Bills perspective is apparent contenders dropping like flies: Houston with Deshaun out; the Broncos in full collapse; Miami looking like they could do likewise (although I expect a rebound, at least short term), Cincinnati and Baltimore looking mediocre or worse ...

45 minutes ago, SaviorPeterman said:

I still think Miami is a lock for a WC will finish 2nd to the Pats in the division which means they'll likely get the #5 seed.

So essentially the Bills will be competing with a handful of other teams for the final spot, likely the Jets, Raiders, Chargers and Titans/Jags. This is of course assuming the season don't go completely off the rails in the next few week and still think that's very probably given the upcoming schedule against teams on a whole other level compared to the Jets that easily beat this team.

What in the world would make you think this

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, frostbitmic said:

Kinda looking like ne ,Pitt, Jax and KC win their divisions while Buff and Tenn get the wild cards as of  this week. Anything can happen with half a season to go though.

That's the way I see it too!  A split with the Dolphins & PATS gets us in!!

I really do not think we are going to sweep the Fish and also we will not get swept  by them either . We will split against them 

The Saints . If the Bills defense can get some turnovers and sacks that is a win 

The colts we better win that game ! 

Kansas City Chiefs . Are the wheels starting to fall off ?? We have a chance to win it ? 

LA Chargers . If it was in our house I would say an easy win but we are traveling out west . I have bad feeling about this game . That is going to be a loss 

The Pats Got to find a way to beat them ! At least in our house 

12 hours ago, SaviorPeterman said:

This is a strange take. Miami’s point differential is only better than Cleveland and Indianapolis in the AFC. They were also the 2nd worst team in the NFL going into the week according to DVOA.

By all accounts, the Dolphins are the worst team in the playoff race. What exactly have you seen that makes them.a lock for the playoffs?

You also realize the Jets beat Miami 20-6 in NY, yes? So the Bills losing to the jets is a predictor we go off the rails, but Miami is still a lock... Nice logical argument you have there.

Edited by mike22nc

Miami are not making the playoffs.  They are an average team and I thought that last year even when they made that run.  

I see our main competition as being the AFC South and the AFC West.  Beating the Chargers and the Chiefs would be huge because we would have the tiebreaker over whoever comes 2nd in that division.  We will not get to play either Tennessee or Jacksonville so we need to have a better record than them or hold the AFC record tiebreaker.  Currently:

TEN - 5-3 - 4-3 in Conf - 1-0 out of Conf (Still to come out of conference @ARI; @SF; vsLAR)

JAX - 5-3 - 4-2 in Conf - 0-1 out of Conf (Still to come out of conference @ARI; @SF; vsSEA)

BUF - 5-3 - 3-2 in Conf - 2-1 out of Conf (Still to come out of conference vsNO)

Realistically if we beat the Chargers, lose to the Chiefs and finish 9-7 then we need to Chiefs to win their division and we would have a realistic chance of getting in at 9-7 even if it was as the 6th seed.  The Chargers game is MASSIVE.  

48 minutes ago, mike22nc said:

This is a strange take. Miami’s point differential is only better than Cleveland and Indianapolis in the AFC. They were also the 2nd worst team in the NFL going into the week according to DVOA.

By all accounts, the Dolphins are the worst team in the playoff race. What exactly have you seen that makes them.a lock for the playoffs?

You also realize the Jets beat Miami 20-6 in NY, yes? So the Bills losing to the jets is a predictor we go off the rails, but Miami is still a lock... Nice logical argument you have there.

The sign says, “Don’t feed the Pats Troll”. 

Seriously though, he is either purposely trolling or just the Love child of Stephen A and Skip Bayless. 

At this point, let's say our main competition is Jacksonville or Tennessee, and Miami.

Everybody else has a losing record, and we have at least a 2 game lead on them for a wild card.

Both Jacksonville and Tennessee have very easy schedules down the stretch.  One will almost certainly win the south division, and with such easy schedules, it will be tough to beat out the other for one of those wild card spots.

To me, this means our primary concern is Miami.  And in the second half of the season, we have almost identical schedules.  We play each other twice.  We both play New England twice and Kansas City on the road.  Miami gets Carolina and Denver.  Buffalo gets New Orleans and San Diego. 

The Bills currently have a 1-game lead on the Dolphins.  And they play them twice.  The playoffs are completely in our grasp.  If we are able to take care of business.

Still very early to be looking at this picture.  So many things can swing the outcome.  The biggest issue across all of the teams in contention is who can stay healthy for a final push?  My guess is that the Bills really only have 3 to lose or they are out in the cold.  That’s tough sledding given the remainder of the schedule.  They will be lucky to split with the Fish and Cheats*.

That suggests they only have one other game to give.  A very tough challenge.

20 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

I'm surprised so many people are surprised by the Jets loss.

Jets have played well all year given their expectations and their defensive line was always good. 

And a thursday night game game where the home team has a big advantage. 

Bills s were due for a loss, but they got dominated in all phases which is a bit alarming.

Really hoping the Dareus trade doesn't bite them in the ass as they lose 3 or 4 in a row with teams running all over us. 

As far as wild card competitors, two teams will make playoffs from South, IMO.

So competition is Miami, Oakland, Baltimore, and maybe NYJ.(I doubt it though) 

that is the part that most worries me.  The Jets could easily have 1-2 more wins this season.  Their domination of both lines was alarming, as well as our inability to tackle.  Perhaps the fact that we have an "older" team played such a big role in a short week?   

In my opinion, it'll come down to Buffalo, TN, and the Ravens. Miami is a bad team and I'm discounting them. 

Jax is likely to win either 11 or 12 games based upon their remaining cream puff schedule. I think TN wins 9 or 10; their final game against Jax may be meaningless to Jax because they'll have clinched yet still not have a chance at a bye. As I said in another thread, the Baltimore game against Detroit is huge. If Baltimore wins, I see them getting to 9-7, and if they lose, I see them at 8-8.  One and possibly two 9-7 teams should get in.

Edited by dave mcbride

3 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

In my opinion, it'll come down to Buffalo, TN, and the Ravens. Miami is a bad team and I'm discounting them. 

Jax is likely to win either 11 or 12 games based upon their remaining cream puff schedule. I think TN wins 9 or 10; their final game against Jax may be meaningless to Jax because they'll have clinched yet still not have a chance at a bye. As I said in another thread, the Baltimore game against Detroit is huge. If Baltimore wins, I see them getting to 9-7, and if they lose, I see them at 8-8.  One and possibly two 9-7 teams should get in.

Yup, I see the Ravens, Jax, Titans and Bills with only one team missing out. If we don't sweep Miami, it's over anyway.

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

Yup, I see the Ravens, Jax, Titans and Bills with only one team missing out. If we don't sweep Miami, it's over anyway.

Jax's remaining schedule:

Chargers at home

at Browns 

at Cardinals (who don't have a qb!)

Colts at home

Seahawks at home (I can see them losing this one, but it's a tossup)

Texans at home

at SF

at TN

4 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

If Miami makes it it will be again on the strength of two wins versus Buffalo.

They aren't very good but they matchup well with the Bills..........physical line play and they just constantly throw short passes so they are pretty good at doing the thing that Buffalo tries to force other teams to do.

But if the Bills can get at least one from the Fish then I agree it's probably just TN and Ravens the Bills need to worry about.  

Ravens aren't very good either but they still have some quality DNA and have been able to dig deep and outlast weaker-willed teams like Buffalo and squeak into the playoffs before.

I can see the Bills getting in and making a trip to Jacksonville for the wildcard game.  

Dareus instantly resolved their run defense issues.  Jags will be a tough out and if Marrone can keep that cast of screwballs in sync they are probably as talented a team as there is in the NFL and a threat for years to come.