ESPN: The Great Tyrod Taylor Debate

YoloinOhio

This story appears in ESPN The Magazine's Nov. 13 issue

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21251222/the-great-debate-buffalo-bills-quarterback-tyrod-taylor

IN EVERY BILLS game, Tyrod Taylor performs a feat of athleticism that makes you question your prior understanding of how human limbs are supposed to move -- how legs and arms and hands normally work in tandem, restricting one's ability to, say, hopscotch and type at the same time

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Love the line about dumping Tyrod in the hopes of doing better being like hitting on a 17 in blackjack

i was just coming here to quote that:

Pro Football Focus, the analytics company that grades players by watching every down, ranked Taylor as the 13th-best quarterback in 2015, 12th last year and sixth through Week 8 this season. While some observers of Taylor's game might dispute that assessment, Sam Monson, one of PFF's analysts, argues that it reflects Taylor's worth. The quarterback does miss some throws, he says, but he compensates for his limited short game with a beautiful deep ball. "Almost every week, you'll pull one throw from his game tape that's obscene, that almost no quarterback can make," Monson says. The combination of those explosive plays and Taylor's low turnover rate -- since becoming a starter, he has thrown an interception on 1.4 percent of his passes, fourth best in the NFL-is rare, he adds, which is why the lack of appreciation for Taylor in Buffalo befuddles him.

"Dumping Tyrod Taylor because you think you can do better is like hitting a 17 in blackjack," Monson says. "You can do better than your hand, but you probably won't."

Great find, Yolo. Really good feature piece by Mina Kimes!

Loved the bit about Taylor's grade school goals. Priorities in order:

"In elementary school, he scribbled his goals on a sheet of paper for a class project. The fading document, now a piece of Taylor family lore, reads: "1. Go to college and get a degree. 2. Play college football. 3. Play in the NFL."

He's playing the same as he's always played.

Somehow I feel like he's playing better - making more big plays.

But maybe that's just because he's contributing to wins more now so his good plays seem more meaningful.

So maybe it really is just the D that's better.

Thanks for sharing Yolo. Good article.

I've always been a TT fan (but never went overboard), but I think this article says a lot. I belive in PFF metrics. Additionally, will be very hard to upgrade at his price tag. He's taken huge strides already this year. If he can continue to grow threw the next 9 gamees, there is no doubt he should be around for the long haul.

Love the line about dumping Tyrod in the hopes of doing better being like hitting on a 17 in blackjack

People have been programmed to think Tyrod sucks when he's actually pretty special. People would rather stick to their prejudices than admit they were wrong.

Yes and no. He is getting the same results of his play but he is doing differently than the last two years.

Better supporting cast. At least a cast that has been better coached

I'll take Simeon...

The Pit of Misery for you. Dilly Dilly!

Tyrod is talented but limited - describes a ton of starting QBs in the league. I am happy with him at the moment because hes startng to gel with this offense. I think the Bills still should draft a QB in the 1st this year and keep TT as that guy develops. I dont know if any of the QBs this year are going to be ready to just step in and start so hes the guy until we have a better guy. But take a qb with your 1st pick for sure.

He absolutely makes some plays that are athletically breathtaking.

how bout the 2 fans she talked to in the bar..... man, that paints a really horrible picture of what us bills fans are thinking. the person saying he just flat out blows and is a manuel clone.... literally couldnt be more stupid. i wish she woulda talked to somebody that had a clue. lol. but wouldnt have made for as good a read i'm sure. haha

Sounds like quarterback purgatory.

sounds like we have a solid qb while still having ammo to go get the guy they deem fit for the future if its not tyrod. I cant think of many situations better than that.

He's playing the same as he's always played.

which was always solid and is being accented with a good defense and solid run game..... it was fairly obvious the team woulda been in the playoffs, had they had a defense the last 2 seasons.

finally we get to see how valuable efficient and mistake free football can be from a qb once the defense holds up their end. get on board dude. enjoy the ride. geez.

To lay this stat to rest:

Taylor's detractors have echoed this, noting that he rarely throws for more than 250 yards a game and that when the Bills fall behind by four points or more, his record is 3-16. (Most QBs have losing records in this scenario; Aaron Rodgers is 6-13 since 2015.)

I know others have posted it but it perfectly sums up my feelings regarding the situation:

"Dumping Tyrod Taylor because you think you can do better is like hitting a 17 in blackjack," Monson says. "You can do better than your hand, but you probably won't."

Love watching this guy play, love rooting for him, love him as the qb of this team.

If you're already firmly entrenched on this topic, you're not really adding anything to this thread.

Just sayin'

Is there really anyone on this board who isn't entrenched?

I thought it was a very good article save for the interviews of the people at Duff's that make Bills fans look like idiots.

He's a really good, sometimes great, qb. Just unconventionally so.

As someone above posted, people are stuck with their prejudices on what a qb should look like. Luckily there are NFL people who feel the same way so that's why we have him for a relatively cheap contract.

Build a team around this guy and he'll take us to the promised land.

#SaviorTaylor

Edited by QB Bills

but they interviewed Savior Peterman and we learned SP is a woman.

:lol:

2 things this year boggle my mind this year. The Peterman hype - a 5th rounder that looked OK in the preseason is guaranteed to produce at least at a Tyrod level. You know the 5th rounder can come in and be one of the 20 best qbs in the league. :rolleyes: Then the Reilly hype. I have never heard such clamoring for a PS guy before. I would wager most fans can't name anyone on the PS besides him. Great white hope at work with that one.

I seriously can't believe the y put "he blows" in an ESPN article. Can you imagine Walter Kronkite reading the news "and a witness stated he blows" :lol:

I really did appreciate the article though. I think it laid out both sides of the argument very well. Here's to a win tonight and continued team success!

2 things this year boggle my mind this year. The Peterman hype - a 5th rounder that looked OK in the preseason is guaranteed to produce at least at a Tyrod level. You know the 5th rounder can come in and be one of the 20 best qbs in the league. :rolleyes: Then the Reilly hype. I have never heard such clamoring for a PS guy before. I would wager most fans can't name anyone on the PS besides him. Great white hope at work with that one.

I seriously can't believe the y put "he blows" in an ESPN article. Can you imagine Walter Kronkite reading the news "and a witness stated he blows" :lol:

I really did appreciate the article though. I think it laid out both sides of the argument very well. Here's to a win tonight and continued team success!

If you ask me IMHO ... The Peterman "hype" started because of all of the Tank Talk.

If the Bills were going to tank, then why keep a QB that will get us numerous wins?

Then people got upset and it escalated from there.

3BDA240A00000578-4089052-image-a-62_1483

If you ask me IMHO ... The Peterman "hype" started because of all of the Tank Talk.

If the Bills were going to tank, then why keep a QB that will get us numerous wins?

Then people got upset and it escalated from there.

The Peterman "hype" started when he looked good in the preseason and the General Manager heaped praise on him.

Keep Tyrod for next year since $16mil isnt a lot for a decent starting QB these days. Draft a QB early if given the opportunity. Go into next season with Tyrod as the starter with the rookie developing behind him. Re-evaluate how things are going next year. Or, if Tyrod craps the bed the last 9 games then dump him and move on. Its seriosuly not that complicated. This isnt some great debate.

Edited by Bangarang

When there's teams in the league sitting on pocket kings, you probably do have to hit on 17.

That's probably one of the dumbest things you've ever posted...and you've got a large catalog from which to choose.

Keep Tyrod for next year since $16mil isnt a lot for a decent starting QB these days. Draft a QB early if given the opportunity. Go into next season with Tyrod as the starter with the rookie developing behind him. Re-evaluate how things are going next year. Or, if Tyrod craps the bed the last 9 games then dump him and move on. Its seriosuly not that complicated. This isnt some great debate.

It really is this simple. I think everyone, Bills staff included, is on the same page.