Schopp: Taylor is better than you think.

JM2009

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he had a true #1 WR and a healthy TE wonder what he could do? Still tons of limitations, doesn't anticipate throws and rarely throws a WR open but he's smart with the ball.

He is playing well with nobodies. It's rather remarkable. Shady helps a lot obviously. But losing Clay hasn't affected him at all.

Dennison really did a good job today.

was that Mills making Mack so ineffective they pulled him?

what bizzaro world are we living in....

According to the raiders sideline Mack was just getting rotation rest to keep his legs fresh. I didn't watch the line close enough to see how they were making him ineffective.

Edited by Scott7975

Tyrod is the man. He and Shady are real playmakers and they're a good core for an offense even without any elite WRs.

Give credit to Dennison for playing more to Tyrod & Shady & the o-line's natural strengths. They've improved throughout the year, so Dennison certainly deserves his fair share of credit for that.

The past two weeks we've seen Tyrod moving out of the pocket more and extending plays. The run game obviously has adjusted with incorporating some of the blocking schemes from last year. It doesn't hurt that neither the Bucs or Raiders are particularly good defenses, but at the same time, the Bills are making plays.

An unsung aspect of Tyrod's game that was noticeable today — he knows how to fall. There was one sack where he almost led the fall, almost like you'd see in pro wrestling or something. He's not giving himself up for big hits when he can help it. Combine that with his basketball-like jukes, and no wonder Tyrod has been good at avoiding injuries, knock on wood (remember how often people were criticizing Tyrod early on for how frequently he was sure to get injured?)

This sounds crazy but I think Tyrod and Shady could call their own plays, K Gun-style. I think they know how they work best, and even though I usually hate gadget plays, I think this group could incorporate option plays a lot more.

Imagine a 2nd or 3rd and short -- fake hand off to Fullback, toss to Shady, halfback option with Thompson deep. If the safety bites, that's a TD, and if not, I like Shady running outside against a CB/LB. Same thing with Logan Thomas. Some kind of WR screen where he has the option to throw deep to Thompson if the safety comes up.

With turnovers, I think Tyrod is who is he is —at this point, it's clearly part of how he's making decisions, whether he's going to take the attempt or not. But the more that Tyrod is able to play the "backyard hero" game that he is best at — Vick style, but more looking to throw while still a threat to run on every play... I think he has the potential to really go on a streak here. We'll see.

According to the raiders sideline Mack was just getting rotation rest to keep his legs fresh. I didn't watch the line close enough to see how they were making him ineffective.

alright, so he may have simply been out for a rest. but i don't believe i heard Mack's name all day other than when they were commenting about him being on the sideline. Mills had another strong game i'd say.

alright, so he may have simply been out for a rest. but i don't believe i heard Mack's name all day other than when they were commenting about him being on the sideline. Mills had another strong game i'd say.

I didn't either. Mills must have. As I said, I didn't pay enough attention to the line play to see. Maybe cover1 will show some of it this week.

8 passing TDs, 1 rushing TD, 2 turnovers, team is 5-2.

Have you ever considered that maybe if the rest of this year plays out similarly to how it's been playing so far that McBeane might actually identify Taylor as our Franchise QB?

The thing I've been impressed with is that Taylor hasn't been asked to carry the team or put the team on his back unless absolutely necessary, and when it is, he delivers. I can't look up Taylor's passing splits at the moment, but I'm pretty sure they would be pretty impressive in the "passing when trailing" category.

It's possible that's McDermott's ideal game plan as opposed to chucking it all over the field.

Taylor might just be an unconventional Franchise QB, but a Franchise QB nonetheless.

Still TBD, though.

Taylor might just be an unconventional Franchise QB, but a Franchise QB nonetheless.

Still a fair way from that conclusion for me. But no complaints how he is playing. Hope he keeps it up.

I can see them getting to a point where if the 2018 class continues to hiccup the Bills decide to use their two 1s on non QBs and take a guy who slides into the 2nd round.

Have you ever considered that maybe if the rest of this year plays out similarly to how it's been playing so far that McBeane might actually identify Taylor as our Franchise QB?

The thing I've been impressed with is that Taylor hasn't been asked to carry the team or put the team on his back unless absolutely necessary, and when it is, he delivers. I can't look up Taylor's passing splits at the moment, but I'm pretty sure they would be pretty impressive in the "passing when trailing" category.

It's possible that's McDermott's ideal game plan as opposed to chucking it all over the field.

Still TBD, though.

Behind 96 ATT 66 COMP 68.8 % 679 Yards 7.1 AVG 44 Long 5 TD 1 INT 101.9 Rating

Edited by Scott7975

Franchise Quarterback is a hard to define term. And at any one time there may be only five of them.

Eli wasn't one, was one, is not one.

Flacco wasn't one, was one, may not be one.

Matty Ice would eventually be one, became one, may not be one.

Rivers was always on the brink of being one.

I would never say Tyrod is one now. And doubt he will be one. BUT... if he did three plays a game that franchise quarterbacks make, and didn't make the three plays a game he makes that virtually none of the franchise quarterbacks make, he would be thought of a lot differently. It's impossible to compare him to almost anyone else, except maybe Russell Wilson.

I think a guy like Rivers or Matt Ryan or Eli would get murdered on the Bills in most games.

Still TBD, though.

slow down man.

Today the difference was his receivers made plays. Amazingly Zay Jones suddenly was catching passes, in the rain. Holmes made a couple clutch toe tapping receptions. Tate got the YAC on that 2nd and 20. Other NFL teams are allowed to have plays like this. I was very pleased to see our receivers make plays that I see other teams make every single week.

Oh and another game with Tyrod as starter where we trailed by 4+ points and we won.

The coaching instilled in this team this season is leaps and bounds then previous years.....that is the difference! This team is completely plugged in......without poyer & gaines this defence looked unstoppable with Carr throwing the ball....very very impressive.....something has to be said now about "trusting the process" and "next man up".......i know its only 5-2 (we seen this story before)....but i think this team is the league dark horse.......

Still TBD, though.

If the D isn;t handing TT and the O the ball 3-4 times a game, we are having a very different conversation. The D is keeping this team in games AND scoring.

He DID complete passes to receivers today, which hasn't happened all year so far: hitting Mathews\Jones\Holmes for 3 receptions each. That's an improvement.

If the D isn;t handing TT and the O the ball 3-4 times a game, we are having a very different conversation. The D is keeping this team in games AND scoring.

He DID complete passes to receivers today, which hasn't happened all year so far: hitting Mathews\Jones\Holmes for 3 receptions each. That's an improvement.

Did you miss the Logan Thomas and Deonte Thompson TDs last week vs Bucs? Edited by reddogblitz

Let me say this

I am a David Carr fan....I think he is a good qb especially where he was drafted.....I see a lot of him down here

Tyrod Taylor outplayed Carr today.....and Tyrod

- Was still running for his life due to bad pass protection at times....Carr had a good pocket.

- Tyrod's pass catchers are not CLOSE to the quality of the Raiders

Despite all that....TT outplayed Carr today.....both in big plays when it mattered....throws under pressure......and not turning the ball over

Tyrod Taylor is better this year

Let me say this

I am a David Carr fan....I think he is a good qb especially where he was drafted.....I see a lot of him down here

- Was still running for his life due to bad pass protection at times....Carr had a good pocket.

Despite all that....TT outplayed Carr today.....both in big plays when it mattered....throws under pressure......and not turning the ball over

Have to agree, and I've been a huge critic for awhile now. He has been improving each game, which is amazing.

Let me say this

He definitely is playing more consistent.

I'm liking the 25 + passes per game over 15 to 20 passes per game.

Funny how much credit a starting QB gets for a team win. Despite only accounting for 166 total yards we have people singing his praises.

Aside from a couple of drives and a few gutsy plays I thought Taylor played poorly.

He was facing one of the worst pass defenses in the league and was extremely hesitant to throw for most of the game. The OLine did a great job protecting him. Had to settle for field goals when the game was still undecided despite turnovers putting the offense in position to score touchdowns to put the game out of reach much earlier on a silver platter.

Thank God for those turnovers.

He should've had an interception himself but Matthews made an unbelievable play to knock the ball out of the corner's hands at the last second.

Soon these "forced" turnovers from the defense/special teams will dry up. Will Tyrod be able to carry this team when that happens? If he's truly up to the task then he hasn't shown it yet.