Schopp: Taylor is better than you think.

JM2009

Yea I confess that is a couple more than I'd have guessed. But still... that stat line is pretty close to his career days which was my point.

Its actually more than I thought he had too. I knew he had some but I thought it was with rushing TDs included. I thought he had maybe 3 or 4 passing games like that.

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did Schopp see the Bengals game?? When has Tyrod ever put the team on his back and win a game?? When teams load up the box to stop Shady, prevent Tyrod from reaching the perimeter when scrambling with outside rush and make him throw from the pocket has he been effective? The Raiders has the team that can do just that, defensively. Not saying he's "turrible", but let's see him beat the Raiders

Edited by the skycap

... Think of the knocks on him coming into this year: Can't throw to the middle - started doing it, can't win late - done, doesn't use the te - done, can't win when throwing more than 30 times - done, can't go through progressions - improvement, he has reached his ceiling - all of the above prove that as false imo. So now we are left with can be inaccurate at times and can also hold the ball too long/be indecisive. ...

you make an interesting case for Tyrod. however i wouldn't say that what you put forth here is complete or accurate.

throwing to the middle of the field, yes he is doing it more than he has previously. is he utilizing it consistently, i would go that far yet. winning late, he is 1 for 2 this year ( 3 for 16 overall) so to proclaim it 'done' is again a bit premature in my estimation. how many games has he won when throwing 30 times? his progressions - yes there is some improvement but when you go from zero, anything is an improvement. he has reached his ceiling, again it is somewhat premature to say one way or the other.

i do understand what you are trying to portray here and yes, he is showing improvement in some areas. i think though that the thing that will make or break it for him is the consistency he displays in these areas going forward. he has to continue to show forward improvement and not just spotty successes. let us not forget that the defense that made him look great was a terrible one. the week before against one of the better defenses he didn't look so hot.

perspective.

Edited by Foxx

Did Schopp see the Bengals game?? When has Tyrod ever put the team on his back and win a game?? When teams load up the box to stop Shady, prevent Tyrod from reaching the perimeter when scrambling with outside rush and make him throw from the pocket has he been effective? The Raiders has the team that can do just that, defensively. Not saying he's "turrible", but let's see him beat the Raiders

There are maybe 3 QBs in the league that can truly carry their team. Even teams that have bad defenses have very strong top end talent on the offensive side of the ball. Put a terrible defense out there and no talent on the offensive side of the ball and almost none of the QBs in the NFL will carry their team for the whole year. Taylor has the defense now but still has practically no skill position talent other than McCoy.

Clay would be a starter on a lot of teams but he is out. Oleary is depth on just about every team that needed depth. Mathews is a solid #2 on a lot of teams. No other receiver on this team breaks #3 on the majority of teams. There are no #1 receivers on this team. Not even close. Taylor has carried the offense this season.

I think Tyrod just did in the Bucs game.

Did you see:

Roethlisberger throw 5 picks vs. the Jags?

Andy Dalton in almost every game?

Marcus Mariota vs. the Browns?

Joe Flacco this year?

Eli Manning the first 2 weeks?

Derek Carr vs. the Broncos?

Bad games happen to pretty much every qb. I don't mind wait and see but we've seen a lot of good from Tyrod so far this year.

you make an interesting case for Tyrod. however i wouldn't say that what you put forth here is complete or accurate.

throwing to the middle of the field, yes he is doing it more than he has previously. is he utilizing it consistently, i would go that far yet. winning late, he is 1 for 2 this year ( 3 for 16 overall) so to proclaim it 'done' is again a bit premature in my estimation. how many games has he won when throwing 30 times? his progressions - yes there is some improvement but when you go from zero, anything is an improvement he ahs reached his ceiling, again it is somewhat premature to say one way or the other.

i do understand what you are trying to portray here and yes, he is showing improvement in some areas. i think though that the thing that will make or break it for him is the consistency he displays in these areas going forward. he has to continue to show forward improvement and not just spotty successes. let us not forget that the defense that made him look great was a terrible one. the week before against one of the btter defenses he didn't look so hot.

perspective.

To your bolded I agree 100% I think doing all of these things consistently is the next step. When I was typing done I didn't mean he was a finished product just that he had or was accomplishing those things. I think they show he isn't at his ceiling. When we stop seeing improvement we can call him a finished product but I haven't seen that happen yet. If you view him as a player just starting for the 3rd season what he has done so far is pretty impressive imo. Hopefully he continues to grow and doesn't stagnate. I'm excited to watch the rest of the season and his development play out.

I think there have been some small steps - certainly over his 2016 play. I don't think I'd say he has made a big step forward but he is doing some things just that little bit better. And they show up on tape and in the analytics. Still say his best game this year was Denver and it was BY FAR his quickest snap to throw time of the season.

I think there have been some small steps - certainly over his 2016 play. I don't think I'd say he has made a big step forward but he is doing some things just that little bit better. And they show up on tape and in the analytics. Still say his best game this year was Denver and it was BY FAR his quickest snap to throw time of the season.

Yeah I think Denver was the best and Cincy the worst. The Carolina game was a bad game all around on offense. The entire offensive game plan was terrible to me. Interestingly Cincy may have his number. He didn't play great against them in 2016 either. Lot of games left hopefully its a fun ride!

Stats can be misleading. I'm no QB guru but what I see is a QB who has little anticipation, can't throw receivers open, is consistently innaccurate, and holds the ball way too long. He throws late or behind wide open receivers and his ball placement usually sucks. He obviously can make plays with his feet, is great on the broken play, is well respected and a leader of this team. His lack of turnovers is impressive. He's the best we have right now and McD will ride him until we are eliminated from the playoff hunt. He's reached his ceiling, we know exactly what we are getting with him so keep him around until we drop out of the hunt, then put in Peterman to see what we have and get ready to draft a QB high using our collective picks.

Stats can be misleading. I'm no QB guru but what I see is a QB who has little anticipation, can't throw receivers open, is consistently innaccurate, and holds the ball way too long. He throws late or behind wide open receivers and his ball placement usually sucks. He obviously can make plays with his feet, is great on the broken play, is well respected and a leader of this team. His lack of turnovers is impressive. He's the best we have right now and McD will ride him until we are eliminated from the playoff hunt. He's reached his ceiling, we know exactly what we are getting with him so keep him around until we drop out of the hunt, then put in Peterman to see what we have and get ready to draft a QB high using our collective picks.

You're at least right about that.

Taylor is a great athlete playing qb. he is not a great qb, not even a good one. When his limitations can be exposed he is below average. Don't be surprised if this season ends up in the same 7 -9 range they have been in. I am hoping for better , and rooting for him.

So name some QBs who are good, not great. Just curious as to who fans like you think are a tier above.

that is changing the conversation, everyone know there is a shortage of good qbs in the nfl. If he goes out and wins 11 games this year then I was wrong. I hope it happens .

So you're in the crowd of wins being the measuring stick, correct? Or do you use any other criteria?

Not changing the conversation at all. I'm just curious as to how you arrive at Tyrod not being a good QB by wondering who it is you consider good.

Edited by QB Bills

that is changing the conversation, everyone know there is a shortage of good qbs in the nfl. If he goes out and wins 11 games this year then I was wrong. I hope it happens .

9-7 could be enough for a WC this season. 11 wins is asking too much for this roster.