Schopp: Taylor is better than you think.

JM2009

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, two questions :

(1) Are we suffering from Tyrod Post Overdose? Seems like half the responses here are various forms of sniping over math, grammar, other posters, etc. Sunday can't come soon enuff....

(2) Is there any other QB who does more with less than Taylor? Yeah - obviously you can counter with raw attempt numbers, if that's your thing. But in terms of skilled quarterbacking, who of his peers has done as well with such factors as an erratic (sometimes non-existent) running game, pass protection which too frequently dissolves away, and receiving options from the Island of Misfit Toys? Other quarterbacks have played better. Other quarterbacks have it as bad, or nearly so. But what combination of the two?

Edited by grb

I agree Tyrod is better than the WGR whiner line gives him credit for, but writing an article like this ignores the fact that many Bills fans are already aware that Tyrod is probably a good bridge quarterback for a rookie to learn behind. Should the Bills keep Tyrod next year as their starter, yes they probably should. But it should in no way keep them from drafting someone who could potentially be better than th 19th or 20th best starting quarterback option.

His win % was exactly 50% at the start of this year, thats fine for a backup, lets see where it stands at the end of the year.

Holds the ball longer than any quarterback in the league (3.14 seconds) thats an eternity in the NFL

Takes too many sacks waiting for the wide open option

His scrambling ability makes up for his lack on antcipatory skills in the passing game, but lets not kid ourselves because he had a great game last week, he is downright horrid to watch at times.

Maybe all team's fans do this... But Bills' fans definitely do it... And that is succumb to the grass is always greener elsewhere ideaolgy. We been doing it for as long as I can remember. Remember the Flutie/Johson era? All we needed was to dump statue Bledsoe for a more mobile QB and we'd definitely get at least 2 more wins per year. Heck, how many people were actually calling for to start over Kelly back in 91/92?

Tyrod is a good QB. He may not be HOF caliber, but that doesn't diminish the fact that he's a solid, good QB that does more good than bad on the field. We should definitely keep drafting young QBs to find the next guy, but don't be so quick to rush Tyrod out of town. Because I can almost guarantee you that the next guy is not gonna be any better for quite some time, if ever.

I just recalled a good friend of mine that's a life long Broncos fan. Man did he hate Manning's rag arm those last two seasons. All he wanted was a new QB, any QB, and they'd be better. Well.... look at the Broncos now. The grass is not always greener. Tyrod may not be the best QB in the league, but he's easily the best QB we've had in more than 2 decades. We shouldn't be so quick to run him out of town.

I agree Tyrod is better than the WGR whiner line gives him credit for, but writing an article like this ignores the fact that many Bills fans are already aware that Tyrod is probably a good bridge quarterback for a rookie to learn behind. Should the Bills keep Tyrod next year as their starter, yes they probably should. But it should in no way keep them from drafting someone who could potentially be better than th 19th or 20th best starting quarterback option.

His win % was exactly 50% at the start of this year, thats fine for a backup, lets see where it stands at the end of the year.

Holds the ball longer than any quarterback in the league (3.14 seconds) thats an eternity in the NFL

Takes too many sacks waiting for the wide open option

His scrambling ability makes up for his lack on antcipatory skills in the passing game, but lets not kid ourselves because he had a great game last week, he is downright horrid to watch at times.

i agree with the bolded part. Definitely should draft someone, but let's develop a he next guy properly and not rush anyone onto the field. We don't need to. Edited by Dan

If he is going to include rushing TDs in his TD numbers, which he did and should, he must also include fumble numbers in his INT/turnovers, which he didn't and should.

16 total turnovers since he became our starter (only 2 lost fumbles). I agree with your point, and funnily enough it further separates him from most QBs.

16 total turnovers since he became our starter (only 2 lost fumbles). I agree with your point, and funnily enough it further separates him from most QBs.

I'm a Tyrod fan and I would have guessed about four fumbles. I went back to the post you quoted and edited it, saying he doesn't fumble a lot but there have been a few. With the rush he gets, it's pretty amazing that he has only lost two fumbles. Thanks for that.

Nitpicking but yes you are correct.

Both of these games loom LARGE for not only Taylor but the Bills. If this team gets to 6-2 I'm certainly on the playoff bandwagon, but 5-3 wouldn't necessarily be worst case either assuming we beat the Jets/lose to Raiders.

if this team is not a pretender, the head to head matchup against the Raiders is probably going to have more ramifications than the head to head against the Jets.

Edited by Foxx

I'm a Tyrod fan and I would have guessed about four fumbles. I went back to the post you quoted and edited it, saying he doesn't fumble a lot but there have been a few. With the rush he gets, it's pretty amazing that he has only lost two fumbles. Thanks for that.

It's actually pretty weird to look at. In 2015 he fumbled 9 times and lost 0 of them. In 2016 he fumbled 4 times and lost 2.

if this team is not a pretender, the head to head matchup against the Raiders is probably going to have more ramifications than the head to head against the Jets.

They are both equally important IMO. Because it would be very disappointing to beat the Raiders and then lose to the Jets because they are a division opponent.

I don't believe we are winning the division anyway so it's somewhat moot but any faint chance we do have would assume sweeping the Jets.

If he is going to include rushing TDs in his TD numbers, which he did and should, he must also include fumble numbers in his INT/turnovers, which he didn't and should.

He doesn't fumble very much but there have been a few.

I think hes lost 2. I agree with you though. It should be TD to turnover.

They are both equally important IMO. Because it would be very disappointing to beat the Raiders and then lose to the Jets because they are a division opponent.

I don't believe we are winning the division anyway so it's somewhat moot but any faint chance we do have would assume sweeping the Jets.

What's with the "we". You are a NE fan.

I dont get the hate that some people have.....a handful just focus on 1 player and seem to ignore other factors that can affect a QB's play......for much of his career here in Buffalo taylor has not had the benefit of a consistant solid WR corp.....people say he has no ceiling is absurd....he is getting alot better than he was last season......this season he had an even worse WR corp.....no running game and a dismal offensive line (all this not included in the TB game) but did have finally a very good defence that isnt bottom league.....and looked how he performed in the 1st quarter of the season......I have no complaints....He's played exceptional more often than not and expect this to continue......

What hate? Stop exaggerating.

There is no running game (I guess 19th in the league is considered "no running game" now) because opposing defenses stack the box daring Taylor to throw the ball.

Partly that, but also partly because the O-coordinator was trying to force his scheme on our guys (unsuccessfully). Also partly because we were facing 3 top 10 defenses in four weeks. Now that scheme is changing to accommodate and we are facing less stout defenses, the run game is getting going. Nothing in the NFL is simple as "because of X, we get Y"...so you should take your own advice and stop exaggerating : )