Week 8: Raiders' Game Preparation - Inactives Announced

Call me crazy, but I actually think Tampa bays recievers are better than Oaklands. That doesn't really mean anything in the grand scheme of things though. Weather supposed to be cooler and damp Sunday. Hopefully this is an advantage for the bills. I think the most important thing is that Tyrod plays consistent and has another 250-300 yard game. This is key imo

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have the world's most annoying train horn for that.

Sunday watching from the TV. First time that really started to get on my nerves.

what the hell are they thinking with that ?

Maybe a a stampeding sound or a train chugging might be better served ?

but wow.

Call me crazy, but I actually think Tampa bays recievers are better than Oaklands. That doesn't really mean anything in the grand scheme of things though. Weather supposed to be cooler and damp Sunday. Hopefully this is an advantage for the bills. I think the most important thing is that Tyrod plays consistent and has another 250-300 yard game. This is key imo

I was discussing this today. How good the TB pass catchers are, TEs both.

Play disciplined coverage and we will beat Carr via pressures. like we do

I don't think that's a crazy statement at all. Tampa's skill positions are in the top tier of the league imo. Cooper, when right, is terrific and Crabtree is a baller but I'd rather have Evans and Jackson if I were forced to choose.

That's the 1st down conversion bell. The train whistle is when the opponents face 3rd down.

And the last couple years randomly 40% of other plays

I don't think that's a crazy statement at all. Tampa's skill positions are in the top tier of the league imo. Cooper, when right, is terrific and Crabtree is a baller but I'd rather have Evans and Jackson if I were forced to choose.

You can't forget Brate, Howard, and Martin either. Overall Tampa's skill players are really, really good.

You can't forget Brate, Howard, and Martin either. Overall Tampa's skill players are really, really good.

-------------

Considering the quality of their still players and the points we left on the board coupled with how bad the D was at times it's a miracle they won that game. Perhaps the culture is changing along with our luck.

for those into history and trends

Pardon if already posted

The Raiders -- 2-19 since 2009 on the East Coast -- may struggle at Buffalo

The Bills are 3-0 at home this season, while the Raiders have traditionally struggled when traveling cross-country.

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- Buffalo Bills coach Sean McDermott said after Sunday's win over the Tampa Bay Buccaneers that playing in New Era Field felt like being in heaven.

The Oakland Raiders hope that they don't feel like they are playing in hell.

This Sunday's game between the Bills (4-2) and Raiders (3-4) features one team that is playing its best football at home in years and another that has traditionally struggled when traveling cross-country.

The Bills are 3-0 at home this season, one of only three teams to have an undefeated record on their own field this season. The Seattle Seahawks at 2-0, and the Philadelphia Eagles entered Monday night's game having won both of their contests at Lincoln Financial Field.

the Raiders must play at 1 p.m. in the Eastern time zone, where they have traditionally struggled. Between 2009 and 2015, Oakland was 2-19 in games played in the Eastern time zone, the product of some bad football teams in general and the toll of travel.

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

I am worried about the weather.

Big myth that rain slows down offenses. Unless it is a torrential downpour where the QB cant even hold a slick ball (the NFL has come a long way in the keeping the balls dry department), the poor field conditions due to rain is a huge benefit to offenses. It is tough for CBs to match WRs breaks, often leading to blown coverages. It is tough for linebackers to be as fast filling holes/getting to the ball carrier because of the same footing issues.

Add onto that the increased potential to injure or re-aggravate an injury, something our defense cannot afford, and this weather forecast has potential to really help Oakland.

Let's hope the winds shift and brings sunny skies to OP on Sunday.

@MatthewFairburn

8 things we learned about the #Raiders, the #Bills' Week 8 opponent

http://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2017/10/8_things_we_learned_about_the_oakland_raiders_buffalo_bills_week_8_opponent.html

By Ryan Talbot | Contributing writer

The Oakland Raiders will head to New Era Field in Week 8. Oakland is coming off a 31-30 win over the Kansas City Chiefs and will have a few extra days to prepare for the matchup against the Buffalo Bills after playing on Thursday Night Football in Week 7. Here's a look at 8 things we learned about the Raiders this week.

Rain or shine the Bills have to win. I'm tired of the excuses for inclement weather. It's Buffalo, weather happens. embrace it.

Now, if you are going to the game I could see your preference.

if you are referring to my post above, I was not making excuses for the weather. Simply trying to shed some light on the fallacy many fans embrace in regards to rainy, wet weather helping slow down offenses...and how this could benefit us Sunday.

I agree the Bills have to win this game (if playoffs are going to be a reality).

And yes I will be at the game and certainly do not want wet weather...but that is irrelevant to my aforementioned post.

if you are referring to my post above, I was not making excuses for the weather. Simply trying to shed some light on the fallacy many fans embrace in regards to rainy, wet weather helping slow down offenses...and how this could benefit us Sunday.

I agree the Bills have to win this game (if playoffs are going to be a reality).

And yes I will be at the game and certainly do not want wet weather...but that is irrelevant to my aforementioned post.

My bad if I misread the intent.

:oops:

This is a statement game. LoRax threw out the C-word this weekend ("Championship") - if this team wants to be in that discussion, they not only have to win, they have to win strong. They HAVE to be able to get up for this game. I'm fascinated to see how they play.

Hard to disagree with this. Can't lose a home game to an AFC opponent traveling across the country if you consider yourself to be "playoff caliber."

That said, I still have no idea what to expect. I'm hopeful the running game is here to stay and Shady will have a big day.

Hard to disagree with this. Can't lose a home game to an AFC opponent traveling across the country if you consider yourself to be "playoff caliber."

That said, I still have no idea what to expect. I'm hopeful the running game is here to stay and Shady will have a big day.

Just like this week we can ONLY win if we get Shady going. That isn't a criticism of Tyrod before anyone jumps on me... and there will be plays to be made against their pass D but we need to be able to control the clock, hold onto the football give the defense rest and put together long scoring drives. If we can do that and frustrate Carr by keeping him on the sideline then this game is winnable.

Jalen Richard as a receiver out of the backfield is the Oakland X factor in this game. He is a mismatch against our linebackers.... I'm nervous as to how we cover him.

Raiders Lost in the Shuffle, 51-3 : AFC: Buffalo takes advantage of Schroeder's five interceptions and piles up 502 yards of offense to move on to Tampa.

January 21, 1991|CHRIS DUFRESNE | TIMES STAFF WRITER

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. You wouldn't know it, but the Raiders wanted to be here. They worked all season for the privilege. Bring on Buffalo, they said. Next stop, Tampa.

But all those super dreams fell 49 points short because of an offense that didn't work, theirs; an offense that couldn't be stopped with a court order, Buffalo's; an assumption that the Raiders ever stood a chance, and Jay Schroeder, who would at once uncoil and leave scattered a season's worth of expensive Mike White quarterback lessons.

The Bills' 51-3 victory over the Raiders in Sunday's AFC championship game before 80,324 at Rich Stadium left a considerable gap in Raider lore. Raiders make history, not fools of themselves. Yet, there was owner Al Davis, the whole game slack-jawed, no doubt agonizing over how to repair the emotional damage.

Where do the Raiders go from here? The Denver Broncos went through this last year in Super Bowl XXIV after ending up on the short-end of a 55-10 score and sank to the AFC West basement.

Sunday's loss ranks with some of the all-time great playoff blowouts, taking a seat next to Washington's 73-0 drubbing of Chicago in 1940. The Raiders could only conclude the beating was thorough and inevitable.

"I don't think anybody could have stopped them," defensive end Howie Long said. "You could have brought back the (Pittsburgh) Steel Curtain and it wouldn't have mattered."

Maybe not. Buffalo's first offensive drive was one of the great opening acts ever. The Raiders, resigned to a helpless basketball strategy, were forced to call time out after consecutive Buffalo gains of 12, 14, 15, five and nine yards.

There was no other way to stop the momentum. The Bills rested two minutes, then continued their assault on the Raiders and the history books. After the respite, they needed three more plays to score, taking a 7-0 lead on a 13-yard pass from quarterback Jim Kelly to former Raider James Lofton, who would make Los Angeles pay for cutting him in 1989.

The Raiders' response was brief and uncompelling. Schroeder found Mervyn Fernandez for 26 yards on first down and Willie Gault 26 more yards on second. But thoughts of an explosive offensive exchange between the teams ended quickly when the Raiders had to settle for a 41-yard Jeff Jaeger field goal.

If you missed it, you missed the Raider offensive attack.

The two other Raider highlights were a blocked extra point--hey, it could have been 52-3--and the third quarter, during which the Bills were held scoreless.

The rest of it was pure Buffalo artistry and sheer Raider misery. Lest the Raiders think they had made a game of it after cutting the lead to 7-3, the Bills scored again in four plays. Kelly's no-huddle offense was almost flawless as he picked his feeble opponent apart. After a two-yard gain on first down, Kelly passed 41 yards to Lofton, scrambled for 11 yards and then handed off to Thurman Thomas, who ran 12 yards around right end for the touchdown.

The Bills made the score 21-3 with 3:09 left in the quarter when linebacker Darryl Talley intercepted a Schroeder pass and returned it 27 yards for a touchdown.

Defensive end Bruce Smith pressured Schroeder heavily from the blind side as he threw.

"Obviously, the ball didn't go where I wanted it to go," Schroeder said.

Few did. Schroeder threw five interceptions after throwing nine in 16 regular season games. Someone asked whether he accepted blame for the loss.

"What kind of a question is that?" he said. "Everyone in this room has to take personal responsibility."

There were plenty of takers. Cornerback Lionel Washington had a miserable time in an attempt to stay with former teammate Lofton, who finished with five catches for 113 yards. After Kenneth Davis' touchdown runs of one and three yards in the second quarter put the Bills ahead by 34-3, Lofton capped off the half with an eight-yard scoring pass from Kelly. Again, Washington was on assignment.

"I couldn't cover him," Washington said, tears in his eyes. "I don't blame myself, but I played a big part in the game. I couldn't come up with the big plays to stop him. You've got to take it personally sometimes."

The game was over at the half. In two quarters, the Bills had 387 yards. In two quarters, Thomas had rushed for 109 yards. Kelly had passed for 247. The Bills had set a playoff record for most points scored in a half.

Dating to the first meeting Oct. 7, Buffalo had scored 65 points against the Raiders in three quarters.

The Raiders thought they were ready.

"A game like today is an education," tailback Marcus Allen said. "You can talk a hell of a lot about being ready and focused. It's difficult to explain, but there are all these other intangibles. When the level rises, you've got to be ready for it."

Edited by xRUSHx

@sn_nfl

Week 8 NFL picks against spread: Steelers whip Lions; Dolphins dust Ravens

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/week-8-nfl-picks-predictions-point-spreads-odds-lines-steelers-lions-dolphins-ravens/1di53kuquzjyt1ojqc27dh216n?

Oakland Raiders at Buffalo Bills (-3)

Sunday, 1 p.m., CBS

The Raiders expended a ton of offensive energy in desperation mode against the Chiefs, and not even a long week will help them much with this long, tough follow-up road trip. Expect Tyrod Taylor and LeSean McCoy to help keep the Buffalo train rolling, while Derek Carr and his receivers will be parked more into place.

PICK: Bills win 20-16 and cover the spread.

Just like this week we can ONLY win if we get Shady going. That isn't a criticism of Tyrod before anyone jumps on me... and there will be plays to be made against their pass D but we need to be able to control the clock, hold onto the football give the defense rest and put together long scoring drives. If we can do that and frustrate Carr by keeping him on the sideline then this game is winnable.

Jalen Richard as a receiver out of the backfield is the Oakland X factor in this game. He is a mismatch against our linebackers.... I'm nervous as to how we cover him.

I absolutely agree that Shady has to big in this game in order for us to win......it isnt about TT...its about getting back to what made our offense a top 10 scoring offense in the league last year and reastablishing that identity.

In order to do that....we have to have the threat of the deep ball to open things up underneath.....we need DT to have another strong game.

I absolutely agree that Shady has to big in this game in order for us to win......it isnt about TT...its about getting back to what made our offense a top 10 scoring offense in the league last year and reastablishing that identity.

In order to do that....we have to have the threat of the deep ball to open things up underneath.....we need DT to have another strong game.

hey John.....

that kind of sounds like it is....