Week 8: Raiders' Game Preparation - Inactives Announced

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh wooooahhhhh, 8-5....that is like, national championship contention right???

Gave them a "scare"?? wowwww, that IS impressive

You have your fan sights set mighty high friend!!!

(I know sarcasm is hard to read, so just know, all of that was heavy sarcasm)

Now end sarcasm....Why should an alum support this? I am proud of UB, an affordable institution that is making its way as a medical leader in western new york (serving and training), educates many undergrads and post grads alike, encourages those graduates to remain in the community to work and live. I donate annually to my alma mater because of those things, and I believe that by NOT supporting their terrible football program that literally never has a chance to succeed (because of how college football is organized) they may eventually fold the program and focus their energies on other academic and athletic endeavors.

But, thank you for your judgement.

(I am done with this line of discussion in this thread)

My last word: this is the attitude that holds back UB athletics. A school that is the flagship state university in a state the size of New York, a member of the prestigious American Association of Universities, a leading research institution, right up there with some of the most famous institutions in the country. But they have a near-community college-level athletic program. Paat, your take isn't surprising. It reflects a general attitude in WNY that we aren't good enough. Edited by PromoTheRobot

@JonScottTV

Tyrod Taylor calls Khalil Mack "an elite player" who "can wreck a gameplan." #Bills #Raiders @UBFootball

@thadbrown7

Tyrod: "We were honest with ourselves over bye" Attacked those issues

@buffalobills

“I think we took a step as an offense last week. We believed in one another and getting the win was big for us as a team.” #GoBillsNFL_2017_BUFBills_v2.png

@billsequipment

Breaking out the Throwbacks this week at home v Oakland Go #Bills

DM_hIslXkAEwvZ2.jpg

@Nick_Wojton

Tyrod: This team is made up of leaders, we have a great core #Bills

Tyrod on being 4-2 last year: I don't look back on last year.. different feel in the locker room #Bills

SEAN MCDERMOTT: "SUSTAINING SUCCESS" (18:33)

Head Coach Sean McDermott addressed the media prior to practice topics include; establishing the line of scrimmage, different players stepping up, and building on big wins.

QUICK HITS: INCOGNITO AMONG NICKED UP BILLS
richie-incognito-10-25.jpg
Richie Incognito was a new addition to the team's injury report along with S Jordan Poyer.

My last word: this is the attitude that holds back UB athletics. A school that is the flagship state university in a state the size of New York, a member of the prestigious American Association of Universities, a leading research institution, right up there with some of the most famous institutions in the country. But they have a near-community college-level athletic program. Paat, your take isn't surprising. It reflects a general attitude in WNY that we aren't good enough.

I cant stop - and by the way this is much more constructive dialogue that the first exchange - but how do you propose we can ever compete legitimately for a national championship? We do not have anywhere near the level of talent in our home areas that other college football teams have...and if they are good, they are choosing other colleges in the "area" (Penn St. Pitt, Syracuse, any ohio schools) because they have established programs. We, being a state university (one of many), do not have anywhere near the resources of big time, established programs to lure recruits. We do not have good weather or good fan support. We dont even have a cool name or mascot!! How would an alum make a difference on any of that? What could me cheering for them actually do?

I know I am negative regarding our football program....but I think, rightfully so. The way college football is constructed, new programs - and yes UB is a "new" program - have NO WAY at getting to a competitive level. And no, competing for a MAC championship (which we have legit done like twice) is NOT being at a competitive level. I would prefer to just do away with the embarrassment and focus on things that our school does well.

Thanks for the constructive dialogue.

I posted this same thing several pages ago, and that view still holds. Wet field = advantage offense....now luckily, we run a lot of zone (although lots of man last week) so it makes it a LITTLE easier getting to WRs out of breaks, but it's still no bueno

Hopefully it plays to our offenses advantage as well, with our shifty guys (Shady and TT)

why is it sad that WNY'ers didn't want to waste their time and money supporting an absolutely putrid college "football" team (even while they had Mack)? I am an alum and wouldn't go to those games. There are many of us who wish UB would do away with the football team altogether.

Because of the track, the fans are way too far away from the action.

oh wooooahhhhh, 8-5....that is like, national championship contention right???

Gave them a "scare"?? wowwww, that IS impressive

You have your fan sights set mighty high friend!!!

(I know sarcasm is hard to read, so just know, all of that was heavy sarcasm)

Now end sarcasm....Why should an alum support this? I am proud of UB, an affordable institution that is making its way as a medical leader in western new york (serving and training), educates many undergrads and post grads alike, encourages those graduates to remain in the community to work and live. I donate annually to my alma mater because of those things, and I believe that by NOT supporting their terrible football program that literally never has a chance to succeed (because of how college football is organized) they may eventually fold the program and focus their energies on other academic and athletic endeavors.

But, thank you for your judgement.

(I am done with this line of discussion in this thread)

You have it all figured out don't you? Like Promo said great alum you are. Alums/students like you are the reason UB has less than half filled Stadiums in the fall & Alumni Arena is half filled in the winter even when they have competitive basketball teams.

& if your measuring stick is to compete for national championships, UB should do away with all athletic programs, as should 90% of the other D-1 schools in the country. Utterly stupid opinion to have.

Edited by Gordio

they just beat a team many think is the best in the AFC, and they have extra days to rest and prepare. This will be another nail biter.

They are also not at home on prime time television and are flying cross country to play a game at 10am their time in which they are 2-19 in their last 21.

Lets not forget all those either.

I cant stop - and by the way this is much more constructive dialogue that the first exchange - but how do you propose we can ever compete legitimately for a national championship? We do not have anywhere near the level of talent in our home areas that other college football teams have...and if they are good, they are choosing other colleges in the "area" (Penn St. Pitt, Syracuse, any ohio schools) because they have established programs. We, being a state university (one of many), do not have anywhere near the resources of big time, established programs to lure recruits. We do not have good weather or good fan support. We dont even have a cool name or mascot!! How would an alum make a difference on any of that? What could me cheering for them actually do?

I know I am negative regarding our football program....but I think, rightfully so. The way college football is constructed, new programs - and yes UB is a "new" program - have NO WAY at getting to a competitive level. And no, competing for a MAC championship (which we have legit done like twice) is NOT being at a competitive level. I would prefer to just do away with the embarrassment and focus on things that our school does well.

Thanks for the constructive dialogue.

Well first off, let's take the national championship off the table as a goal. Let's start with attainable goals like winning the MAC, which UB did in 2008. Second, there's no question that football programs run on donor money, and UB just doesn't have enough deep pocket donors to build a LSU or Alabama-level program. But they aren't totally missing. Chris Koch, New Era Cap Co's CEO is an alum and largest donor. Others like the Murchie family just donated $3MM to help fund the new field house. I often wonder if Rich Uncle Terry will drop a few mil on UB if he ever builds a new stadium downtown. Why not have a competitive college team add some dates to your new building, right?

A lack of winning is definitely the biggest issue with UB football. In 2008 you saw a glimpse of what could be in the way of enthusiasm and support for the Bulls, but they couldn't build off that. I don't think recruiting is the problem. Look at the their roster today and there are lots of kids from Florida and other football hotbeds. Decent coaching is a big problem.

Ultimately UB needs to get out of the MAC and shoot for the AAC with Temple, Navy, Connecticut, etc. But Allen Greene, the UB AD, once told me that isn't happening until a big money donor steps up. Ironically, UB with it's state flagship status, size, TV market and AAU membership, has a great profile for the Big Ten. But they simply can't compete in donations or on the field at that level.

The one bright spark is basketball. Both the men and women have made the NCAA's recently. This year's team looks really exciting and they have a great schedule against some top shelf programs. Hope Coach Oats sticks around a while.

Well first off, let's take the national championship off the table as a goal. Let's start with attainable goals like winning the MAC, which UB did in 2008. Second, there's no question that football programs run on donor money, and UB just doesn't have enough deep pocket donors to build a LSU or Alabama-level program. But they aren't totally missing. Chris Koch, New Era Cap Co's CEO is an alum and largest donor. Others like the Murchie family just donated $3MM to help fund the new field house. I often wonder if Rich Uncle Terry will drop a few mil on UB if he ever builds a new stadium downtown. Why not have a competitive college team add some dates to your new building, right?

A lack of winning is definitely the biggest issue with UB football. In 2008 you saw a glimpse of what could be in the way of enthusiasm and support for the Bulls, but they couldn't build off that. I don't think recruiting is the problem. Look at the their roster today and there are lots of kids from Florida and other football hotbeds. Decent coaching is a big problem.

Ultimately UB needs to get out of the MAC and shoot for the AAC with Temple, Navy, Connecticut, etc. But Allen Greene, the UB AD, once told me that isn't happening until a big money donor steps up. Ironically, UB with it's state flagship status, size, TV market and AAU membership, has a great profile for the Big Ten. But they simply can't compete in donations or on the field at that level.

The one bright spark is basketball. Both the men and women have made the NCAA's recently. This year's team looks really exciting and they have a great schedule against some top shelf programs. Hope Coach Oats sticks around a while.

UB has two problems. First they need to get out of the MAC. The MAC has been a one bid league for the NCAA Tournament for many years(in fact I can't remember when they had multiple bids). Two, anytime a coach has success at UB they end up leaving(Hurley, Turner Gill etc....). I am not sure how you correct that.

@NickVeronica

LeSean McCoy: “We’re winning games and we’re not playing our best ball.” Says if #Bills we’re playing their best they’d be winning by a lot

@Nick_Wojton

LeSean McCoy, who's hands are cold, says this year's 4-2 feels different #Bills

DNAAhvfWsAA_U7M.jpg

McCoy: Team is different this year because we're playing as a team #Bills

Jordan Poyer: "I Want To Be Out There" (2:24)

S Jordan Poyer talks about his health and how practice went on Wednesday.

Top 7 Storylines for Bills-Raiders this Week

1025-top-storylines-bills-raiders.jpg

Two old AFL rivals will face off this Sunday in New Era Field. Buffalo hopes to continue its home win streak against the Raiders - a team that has beaten the Bills in their last two meetings in 2014 and 2016.

Watch: Bills Strengthen Mental Toughness (1:53)
Chris Brown breaks down the latest injury news and how the team's come from behind win against the Bucs could help the team moving forward.

SCARY BAD

1) Raiders' secondary

Oakland has spent big money (signing Sean Smith and David Amerson) and serious draft capital (selecting safety Karl Joseph in the first round in 2016 and Gareon Conley in the first round in 2017) on its secondary -- and yet, the unit has been a sieve. Not only are the Raiders the first team in history to go seven games in a season without recording a single interception, but they're allowing opposing quarterbacks to post a league-high passer rating of 109.0, nearly 20 points higher than the team's mark last season (89.9). They've also allowed a 47.8 percent completion rate on deep throws (traveling 20-plus air yards), the second-highest mark in the NFL, and 39 wide-open targets (with 3-plus yards of separation) downfield, the fifth most this season, per Next Gen Stats.

Conley hasn't played much this season, held back by shin splints, while second-round pick Obi Melifonwu has yet to see the field. Joseph's strength, meanwhile, appears to be as a run-stopping safety. Smith and Amerson, however, just have not played well at all. Amerson must have a neon flashing light on him, because opponents can't wait to target him: So far this season, he's given up 16 catches on 23 targets for 354 yards, three touchdowns and a passer rating of 151.7, per Next Gen Stats. Smith, meanwhile, is no longer starting, but he's been a liability when on the field, allowing 14 catches on 19 targets (73.7 percent) for 230 yards, one score and a passer rating of 131.5.

Raiders Sign RB Elijah Hood To Active Roster

The Oakland Raiders have signed RB Elijah Hood to the active roster, the club announced Wednesday.

Head Coach Jack Del Rio: "We're Just Focusing On Buffalo"
Prior to the start of practice Wednesday, Head Coach Jack Del Rio talked with the media about facing the Buffalo Bills.

Key Matchups To Watch: Oakland Raiders vs. Buffalo Bills
Here are three matchups to watch this weekend as the Raiders travel east to take on the Buffalo Bills.

Quarterback Derek Carr: "Every Game I Prepare The Same Way"
Here are the quick hits from Oakland Raiders quarterback Derek Carr's press conference Wednesday.

Oakland Raiders Week 8 Injury Report: Amerson Misses Practice
Here's a look at the Oakland Raiders Injury Report.

Addition of NaVorro Bowman Already Paying Big Dividends For Raiders Both On And Off The Field
The Raiders signed NaVorro Bowman to add a positive influence both on and off the field, and so far he's done just that.

zmjo88.jpg

They are also not at home on prime time television and are flying cross country to play a game at 10am their time in which they are 2-19 in their last 21.

Lets not forget all those either.

they were a lousy team until last year, so thos stats are kind of meaningless.

All I'm saying is this will be another close game, especially if Poyer and Gaines aren't able to play.

Oakland is almost a carbon copy of TB. Great offense, not so great defense. Might be a game just like today's!

The Marshawn Lynch suspension is a plus for Buffalo, and the Raiders may be hurting at CB more than Buffalo. The key is going to be to try and limit the disruption factor of Khalil Mack - easier said than done.