McBrothers "Silent Tank" occurring?

Big Turk

They put on a good front saying they are "trying to wn now AND trying to win for the future" but is that REALLY accurate? I don't think it is...

Look at what has happened in the week+ since Matthews and Clay have gone down for significant lengths of time basically turning our "average" offense with them into a disaster without them. 5 straight games with under 300 yards of total offense...we might set an NFL modern day record for that as I don't see how we get above that anytime soon without those players and people stacking the box.

And yet McBeane has been silent on the waiver wire/FA/trade front. This team has the chance to make the playoffs THIS YEAR but yet they will do nothing to bolster our chances. And I find that to be maddening. It's one thing if the team wasn't that good and you just let things go...it's another thing entirely when you have wins over 2 top 5 teams in the league and the defense is good enough if the offense can just literally DO ANYTHING productive. I think he owes it to those guys busting their @sses on the field AND to the fanbase who is tired of this bullcrap over the last 17 years to actually DO SOMETHING to try and help this team now.

I am not talking about trading a high pick for a guy necessarily, but if there is the opportunity to get a guy AND he fits in the budget/long term plans of the team WHY NOT do it? You don't HAVE TO only get players through the draft...there is the opportunity to make moves that can help the team both now and in the future that don't involve simply drafting well.

It's just so frustrating to see McBeane "fiddling" while the offense burns around us and nothing is done to try and fix it...another wasted season when the team was good enough to make the playoffs with a little help...so frustrating...I know the plan is to start in earnest next year with all the draft capital and likely new QB of the future, but still...

They aren't coming out and saying it, but you can hear it when McDermott talks about the "silver lining" being that a bunch of rookies got in there...they know they are hoping to keep losing players and be forced to play untested rookies/backups and then they have the excuse "well, we had a lot of injuries and don't have the depth yet to overcome them", but if they would just go find the depth, we COULD overcome them...but they don't want them to...kind of like in Major Leagues when the owner was secretly rooting for the team to lose so he could move them...the McBrothers are secretly hoping for the injury bug to keep hitting so they can keep slipping further and further down the standings while having nothing come back on them that we were actively "tanking" while having to play a bunch of untested depth players on the roster.

Edited by matter2003

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I don't believe so. I think they are trying to win with what they have today but also trying to build a system for the future. I would like to see more adjustments to the system to fit the personnel, but apparently they have faith that the system is most important. I am encouraged that they are moving away from the zone blocking scheme and hope they continue to make adjustments like this as needed.

Perhaps they don't believe any help would actually net results, or that the team just isn't good enough to make the tourney?

Idk, but I feel like any team who believes they can make it would make a move when our entire receiving corpse is gone/hurt/pathetic. Especially over the bye week.

Def not any type of tank though, imo.

Edited by Shotgunner

It's definitely a tank; just not as shameless as the Jets' attempt.

The tank happens in the FO. It's not like players and coaches will ever TRY to lose (except Sam Watkins, but that's being discussed in another thread).

Bills' luck on D will run out and teams will keep forcing TT to be a QB and they'll lose their fair share.

BUT ... it's not a 3-4 win team that I was hoping it would be.

So here we go again, with another 8-9 overall pick.

Even if the tank isn't a pure success, they did drop a lot of dead weight. It's not a one-year plan. Only teams with QBs have one-year plans.

I think "the process," is exactly what the Bills need and I look forward to 2019, when it all comes together.

I think you're on to something. Beating Denver and Atlanta were just meant to distract us from their true intentions.

I think they were probably surprised the team was as good as it was and McDermott even admitted the D was "ahead of schedule"...they were anticipating the D to be worse, meaning they thought they had left the team in a bad enough state to tank without saying they were actually tanking...when that didn't happen and the D was much better than expected, now they just do nothing as good players go down with injuries and play ridiculous WR's that have no business being on an NFL roster let alone playing significant time in games...

They put on a good front saying they are "trying to wn now AND trying to win for the future" but is that REALLY accurate? I don't think it is...

Look at what has happened in the week+ since Matthews and Clay have gone down for significant lengths of time basically turning our "average" offense with them into a disaster without them. 5 straight games with under 300 yards of total offense...we might set an NFL modern day record for that as I don't see how we get above that anytime soon without those players and people stacking the box.

And yet McBeane has been silent on the waiver wire/FA/trade front. This team has the chance to make the playoffs THIS YEAR but yet they will do nothing to bolster our chances. And I find that to be maddening. It's one thing if the team wasn't that good and you just let things go...it's another thing entirely when you have wins over 2 top 5 teams in the league and the defense is good enough if the offense can just literally DO ANYTHING productive. I think he owes it to those guys busting their @sses on the field AND to the fanbase who is tired of this bullcrap over the last 17 years to actually DO SOMETHING to try and help this team now.

I am not talking about trading a high pick for a guy necessarily, but if there is the opportunity to get a guy AND he fits in the budget/long term plans of the team WHY NOT do it? You don't HAVE TO only get players through the draft...there is the opportunity to make moves that can help the team both now and in the future that don't involve simply drafting well.

It's just so frustrating to see McBeane "fiddling" while the offense burns around us and nothing is done to try and fix it...another wasted season when the team was good enough to make the playoffs with a little help...so frustrating...I know the plan is to start in earnest next year with all the draft capital and likely new QB of the future, but still...

They aren't coming out and saying it, but you can hear it when McDermott talks about the "silver lining" being that a bunch of rookies got in there...they know they are hoping to keep losing players and be forced to play untested rookies/backups and then they have the excuse "well, we had a lot of injuries and don't have the depth yet to overcome them", but if they would just go find the depth, we COULD overcome them...but they don't want them to...kind of like in Major Leagues when the owner was secretly rooting for the team to lose so he could move them...the McBrothers are secretly hoping for the injury bug to keep hitting so they can keep slipping further and further down the standings while having nothing come back on them that we were actively "tanking" while having to play a bunch of untested depth players on the roster.

shakeshead.gif

The tank happens in the FO. It's not like players and coaches will ever TRY to lose (except Sam Watkins, but that's being discussed in another thread).

Bills' luck on D will run out and teams will keep forcing TT to be a QB and they'll lose their fair share.

Even if the tank isn't a pure success, they did drop a lot of dead weight. It's not a one-year plan. Only teams with QBs have one-year plans.

I think "the process," is exactly what the Bills need and I look forward to 2019, when it all comes together.

Long term it probably is, short term I am pissed because this team was good enough to make the playoffs with any type of help on offense and they do nothing.

I think they were probably surprised the team was as good as it was and McDermott even admitted the D was "ahead of schedule"...they were anticipating the D to be worse, meaning they thought they had left the team in a bad enough state to tank without saying they were actually tanking...when that didn't happen and the D was much better than expected, now they just do nothing as good players go down with injuries and play ridiculous WR's that have no business being on an NFL roster let alone playing significant time in games...

The "tank" extended as far as trading away certain assets. Now injuries may do them in. I do expect the Bills to jettison some players by week 10 to earn at least one comp pick. But yeah, the coaches and players are still trying.

I miss Whaley, You know if he was still here he would be bringing in reinforcements. Maybe he couldn't field a winning combination but you knew he would keep trying.to address our needs. Now its crickets. Maybe they are tanking after all for that future QB. Lets not even try to help Tyrod who needs receivers. Bring back Whaley.

Long term it probably is, short term I am pissed because this team was good enough to make the playoffs with any type of help on offense and they do nothing.

This team would/will never go to the playoffs as long as Tyrod Taylor is the QB, in my opinion.

Home Run.

Here's my theory with Beane/McD, I truly believe that when they made the offseason moves they did (specifically trading guys like Watkins) they did so assuming this team would not be good enough this year to make the playoffs.

I don't believe they thought they would be terrible because this team certainly isn't, but they were banking on a 'transition' season in which the team would be competitive and ultimately fall short of the playoffs before they enter a true rebuild mode next year.

However fast forward to where we currently stand after 5 games (1st place in the AFCE) and looking around at the rest of the conference they probably do very well believe they have a team that can make the playoffs this year which is why I do believe they are probably trying to make some marginal moves to improve the roster (i.e. they wanted to add Adrian Peterson) but they certainly aren't going to deviate from their process and trade valuable assets they stockpiled for next years draft to land a player on a rental for the rest of the year.

Long story short, don't be surprised if nothing happens during the next few weeks in terms of adding outside help, but if it does it will be marginal in terms of dumpster diving for somebody on the street or making a trade for a late round pick to get another teams depth WR, oline, etc.

I miss Whaley, You know if he was still here he would be bringing in reinforcements. Maybe he couldn't field a winning combination but you knew he would keep trying.to address our needs. Now its crickets. Maybe they are tanking after all for that future QB. Lets not even try to help Tyrod who needs receivers. Bring back Whaley.

So you want to give away KC's #1 this week for someone who may not work out at all or get hurt immediately? Then bring Whaley back.

As soon as watkins was traded and the lies that spewed it was obvious. Blaming the old regime too helps.

Thus was a .500 team and 2 more wins in 2017 and theu wpuld be a playoff team and they fed bull to people and many fell for it.

Again where are they with watkins/boldin/jones if they just stuck with them.

Gaones cpuld have been picked up for nothing if he was that important

After this weekend the Jets could be in sole possession of the division lead :sick:

The "tank" extended as far as trading away certain assets. Now injuries may do them in. I do expect the Bills to jettison some players by week 10 to earn at least one comp pick. But yeah, the coaches and players are still trying.

No i didnt mean to imply the coaches and players are in on it...i think they want to win but they also have left the team in a bad enough spot where it will be a huge uphill climb to win once injuries started...that's why it is "silent"...they aren't actively tanking but they just set it up so it will happen once their "depth" has to play significantly...

No professional league should have any type of incentive for losing. The first handful of picks may have to be random or some other formula to discourage losing. Winning should always reap any rewards. Others have suggested different scenarios for running the draft. Need to stop this intentional losing - period.

Seems like I have read this... SOMEWHERE before.

They're 3-2 at the bye week. Chill out.

I'll ask again, give one example of an NFL team planning and executing a tank. The two examples that have been given in other tank threads are the Colts, but they didn't plan Payton's injury, without which the tank never happens and how has it worked out? The other example is the Cowboys Herschel Walker trade. Cowboys were 0-5 when trade happened, Aikman and Irvin were already on the team and they had already used their first round pick in supplemental draft on Steve Walsh.

No professional league should have any type of incentive for losing. The first handful of picks may have to be random or some other formula to discourage losing. Winning should always reap any rewards. Others have suggested different scenarios for running the draft. Need to stop this intentional losing - period.

Is there really any proof that intentional losing has ever helped any team? It's been pretty well documented that having the #1 overall pick doesn't guarantee a better player than say the #8 guy in any given draft. And that's not even getting into the discussion of whether or not the team as a whole actually gets better. The NFL is a totally different animal than the NBA or even the NHL.

they are trying to win AND plan for the future. winning now is not going to take precedent over winning in the future however. i think they are trying to win the players over and get them to buy in and if you tank i guess it's hard to do that. so they are going to try and win with the little talent there is to work with now but if there's any opportunity to get better in the future that will be the priority over trying to compete now.

personally i think it's the wrong approach. if it was me i would have kept Rex and gutted the roster and collected as many picks as possible and THEN get a new GM and let him pick his coach and franchise QB with the #1 overall pick. we have already tried this approach over and over again and it doesn't work. trying to win with a team that's not good enough just gets you worse draft picks and you get stuck in mediocrity for 17 years

I am so sick of reading about tanking. Every GM, Coach, and Player wants to win. The FO made the trades to get rid of players that dont fit and bring in those that do along with picks. Can anyone say Gaines and Mathews have not been productive? I am sure this roster isnt where the coaches want it but it is what they have. It takes two teams to make a trade and I am sure every team out there knows the situation the Bills are in. I hope Beane doesnt over pay for offensive help. I am sure Beane and company are not just taking the week off to play golf. Players sitting at home are there for a reason.

I totally agree. A draft lotto is the way to go.

Silent tanking at 3-2...boy we ca't even fail properly, we aren't careful we might make the playoffs.

We win the Super Bowl. Do they get fired for not tanking :flirt:

Is there really any proof that intentional losing has ever helped any team? It's been pretty well documented that having the #1 overall pick doesn't guarantee a better player than say the #8 guy in any given draft. And that's not even getting into the discussion of whether or not the team as a whole actually gets better. The NFL is a totally different animal than the NBA or even the NHL.

You're probably right and I agree with your sentiment but it hasn't stopped teams from trying any which way possible to draft higher in the draft where the supposed best players are. Whether it actually works is debatable as you can bring up the Tom Brady example. But, the best gamble is to try to draft higher for the projected better players and teams will do anything to get as high as possible to get a need player.

I am so sick of reading about tanking. Every GM, Coach, and Player wants to win. The FO made the trades to get rid of players that dont fit and bring in those that do along with picks. Can anyone say Gaines and Mathews have not been productive? I am sure this roster isnt where the coaches want it but it is what they have. It takes two teams to make a trade and I am sure every team out there knows the situation the Bills are in. I hope Beane doesnt over pay for offensive help. I am sure Beane and company are not just taking the week off to play golf. Players sitting at home are there for a reason.

I'm sorry, but if you believe this, then you are naïve.

No, I don't believe so. I think they are trying to win with what they have today but also trying to build a system for the future. I would like to see more adjustments to the system to fit the personnel, but apparently they have faith that the system is most important. I am encouraged that they are moving away from the zone blocking scheme and hope they continue to make adjustments like this as needed.

Just a question where did you hear about them moving away from zone blocking scheme?

Very simple. If they can get back Matthews and Clay they will be good enough to contend in a thin AFC. The only hot team is KC. The Bills are not out of if. Yes they would have to play to their full potential to make the playoffs but it is not unrealistic.

it just seems so preposterous. you take a couple guys who by all accounts are obsessively competitive. they take over a 7-9 team, and the plan is to strip the wins out of the season, display excellence by going backwards in the win column to 2-14, 2-13, yet stumble in doing so and win 3 out of the first 5? so now, after giving the fans hope that the season won't be a bust, you're going to try and drop the next 11 games and not look totally inept in doing so??

it's possible to have realistic expectations about your chances to win titles, the need to improve the roster in the manner you see fit, and not be in tank mode.