Would putting Glenn on the trading block make sense?

I just thought it was an interesting thought. It would free up more cap space, net us another draft pick in return

CBF

The Bills don't need more future cap space so they can build the mythical winning team they've been building for seventeen years and have never been able to build because they're always trading away their best players to free up more cap space to build the great team in the future that never materializes. Enough is enough!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If we could trade him for a legit #1 WR than why not?

For me Glenn is just ok even when healthy, but he's not elite and certainly replaceable given his contract.

Well, why not? First class LTs are almost as easy to find as good RBs and DBs. Maybe the Bills could coax Langston Walker out of retirement. //sarcasm

Edited by SoTier

What does this mean, and what are you basing it on?

Metrics, he's never consistently graded out as a top LT in this league. He's a better run blocker than a pass blocker but I've never truly believed he's an elite player similar to Wood...an above average player most of the time, but has a handful of terrible games throughout the season.

For me Glenn is just ok even when healthy, but he's not elite and certainly replaceable given his contract.

You have been trending this way since showing up around here but with this latest example of your "evaluation" skills, I believe you should now be rated as Officially Ignorable. We can skip past your posts with a clear conscience.

What does this mean, and what are you basing it on?

OK is average. Average is average. You're not elite, and you're not bad. In the middle which imo fits Glenn

https://athlonsports.com/nfl/nfl-offensive-linemen-rankings 18th here. Can't fall in love and over-rate the guy

Edited by MarkyMannn

You have been trending this way since showing up around here but with this latest example of your "evaluation" skills, I believe you should now be rated as Officially Ignorable. We can skip past your posts with a clear conscience.

Glenn is an average player who is overpaid and often injured, and the the only difference between him and Dareus is he's not making quite as much money and not a headcase.

If we could trade Glenn for a player that could help us elsewhere like a starting LB or WR it would be foolish not to pull the trigger.

It would make sense to try and trade Glenn only if the Bills are convinced that he's in a downward spiral in terms of his proneness to injury and his physical condition. I'm not yet convinced that is the case. It is interesting to me that the article reports Buffalo's interest in trading Glenn as a fact and not just an opinion that they should do so. There is no source and not documentation suggested for this, so I am doubtful.

Metrics, he's never consistently graded out as a top LT in this league. He's a better run blocker than a pass blocker but I've never truly believed he's an elite player similar to Wood...an above average player most of the time, but has a handful of terrible games throughout the season.

Man you hold PFF like gospel.....

So getting rid of an above average LT would make sense in your universe....

Well, most "advanced metrics" are subjective, but even if we take them as gospel, that's still not an accurate statement:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-10-big-name-players-that-missed-the-top-101

"Argument for Top 101 inclusion:

Cordy Glenn allowed just two sacks all season, despite pass-blocking for a quarterback that holds the ball (on average) longer than any other QB in the league (3.22 seconds per dropback). He had a perfect game in pass protection against the Houston Texans, making a total of five games over the season in which he allowed no pressure at all and was only responsible for his quarterback being knocked down four times in total.

Why he isn’t in the Top 101:

Glenn’s run-blocking was average at best, and disastrous in a couple of games over the season. He allowed 27 total pressures, and his pass-blocking efficiency was only good enough for 11th overall among tackles, behind players like Taylor Lewan and Austin Howard."

Additionally:

https://twitter.com/pff/status/385034573827940353

https://twitter.com/pff/status/699642455931621376

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-10-best-offensive-players-about-to-hit-free-agency

http://billswire.usatoday.com/2017/02/05/4-bills-players-who-could-make-their-pro-bowl-debuts-next-year/

Well, most metrics are subjective, but even if we take them as gospel, that's still not an accurate statement:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-10-big-name-players-that-missed-the-top-101

Why Glenn to RT? Glenn is a very solid LT and we run much better off of him when he is in. If anything, put Dawkins at RT.

I feel like this has to be said too often, but...

Suppose that Dawkins struggled to get comfortable on the right side, but played well at LT. We've seen that happen before with guys like Kouandjio and Henderson. If Glenn shows the ability to slide over to RT with no drop in level of play, wouldn't it make sense to move him over since the starting 5 would be better than with Dawkins at RT?

Suppose that Dawkins struggled to get comfortable on the right side, but played well at LT. We've seen that happen before with guys like Kouandjio and Henderson. If Glenn shows the ability to slide over to RT with no drop in level of play, wouldn't it make sense to move him over since the starting 5 would be better than with Dawkins at RT?

BECAUSE WE PAY HIM TO PLAY THE LEFT TACKLE POSITION!!!

sorry Bandit, just couldnt resist

Glenn is an average player who is overpaid and often injured, and the the only difference between him and Dareus is he's not making quite as much money and not a headcase.

If we could trade Glenn for a player that could help us elsewhere like a starting LB or WR it would be foolish not to pull the trigger.

that's actually 2 differences

BECAUSE WE PAY HIM TO PLAY THE LEFT TACKLE POSITION!!!

sorry Bandit, just couldnt resist

Well, I'm sure some folks think that (a) it matters to Glenn where he plays now that he's making LT money, and (b) it's somehow a waste of money to put your highest-paid OLmen somewhere other than LT.

It doesn't, and it's not.

That's without any consideration to the fact that guys like Lane Johnson and Ricky Wagner are making $11M AAV to play the RT spot.

Well, most "advanced metrics" are subjective, but even if we take them as gospel, that's still not an accurate statement:

"Argument for Top 101 inclusion:

Cordy Glenn allowed just two sacks all season, despite pass-blocking for a quarterback that holds the ball (on average) longer than any other QB in the league (3.22 seconds per dropback). He had a perfect game in pass protection against the Houston Texans, making a total of five games over the season in which he allowed no pressure at all and was only responsible for his quarterback being knocked down four times in total.

Why he isn’t in the Top 101:

Glenn’s run-blocking was average at best, and disastrous in a couple of games over the season. He allowed 27 total pressures, and his pass-blocking efficiency was only good enough for 11th overall among tackles, behind players like Taylor Lewan and Austin Howard."

Additionally:

https://twitter.com/pff/status/385034573827940353

https://twitter.com/pff/status/699642455931621376

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-10-best-offensive-players-about-to-hit-free-agency

http://billswire.usatoday.com/2017/02/05/4-bills-players-who-could-make-their-pro-bowl-debuts-next-year/

Well, most metrics are subjective, but even if we take them as gospel, that's still not an accurate statement:

If we could get Glenn to redo his contract I would not argue his worth or have any issues keeping him.

Bigger concern in recent season though has been his health and not sure he will ever be 100% this season.

If we could get Glenn to redo his contract I would not argue his worth or have any issues keeping him.

Bigger concern in recent season though has been his health and not sure he will ever be 100% this season.

He was very good again last year, which was the first season in which he missed any time.

He may not end up being 100% at all this year; I think it would be a mistake to move on from him after one season of missed time.

He's a solid LT in the prime of his career. Ask the Bengals, Seahawks, and Texans how much sense it makes to move on from one of those guys.

Edited by thebandit27

Depending on the side of the body the injury is on I would be more inclined to put him at RT. In todays NFL there is no true LT or RT. Defense and good defensive minds look for matchups. There is not a speed guy that only lines of over the LT and the strong run stuffer over the RT. Too many shifts and sub packages for that to be the case. If Dawkins plays well on the Left I would try Glenn on the right.

Depending on the side of the body the injury is on I would be more inclined to put him at RT. In todays NFL there is no true LT or RT. Defense and good defensive minds look for matchups. There is not a speed guy that only lines of over the LT and the strong run stuffer over the RT. Too many shifts and sub packages for that to be the case. If Dawkins plays well on the Left I would try Glenn on the right.

Does anyone know exactly what is the problem with his foot.

LOL. Whose "metrics"? Eric Wood is not an "elite" player, either.

Why Glenn to RT? Glenn is a very solid LT and we run much better off of him when he is in. If anything, put Dawkins at RT.

If Dawkins is playing well at LT I think Dawkins could have a rougher go at RT than Glenn. No need to change 2 spots on the line just one. At this point Dawkins has played LT since mid August got most of the team reps in Practice at Lt. At this point I would keep him there. Imo Dawkins is a Better LT than Mills is a RT. If Mills struggles try Glenn at RT.

Trading Glenn for a Wr is the only way that this would make even a little bit of sense.

Actually, it doesn't. Glenn can play for another ten years at a high level (Jason Peters is still playing well 8 seasons after the Bills traded him away for next to nothing compared to his worth), anchoring the line at one of the hardest positions to play ... and to fill. Compared to LTs, fast WRs are much easier to find and develop.

The thing is that most fans don't appreciate the "big uglies" who man both the offensive and defensive lines until they're gone. A big part of the Bills' problems over the years of the Drought has also been that the FO and some HCs didn't appreciate them, either. The Bills will be needing to replace two significant cogs on their defensive and offensive lines in the near future because they're on the wrong side of 30: Kyle Williams and Richie Incognito. They really should draft replacements for both in 2018, and not Day Three after-thoughts. They don't need to also scramble for another LT prospect, too.

Look at the metrics properly. Over his 6 years in the league there are only 5 LTs who grade out consistently higher and then there is a couple of later entrants to the league who do too. I feel like I have to post this list a lot but here goes again:

Whitworth (CIN/LAR); Smith (DAL); Williams (WAS); Thomas (CLE); Peters (PHI);

Then the two:

Lewan (TEN); and Armstead (NO).

The irony of those moaning about injury being that Armstead has been hurt a lot more than Glenn. If we say on that basis he is maybe the 7th best LT in football and by contract he is the 5th highest paid (and as is always the case those things often depend on the order the contracts come up) I think the Bills pay him right about what he is worth.

not sure why this was directed at me in response to my post....I agree they could trade anyone

HOWEVER, I doubt any team would trade their best offensive lineman, especially at the second or third most important position on the team

and what I was really posting about was that this "reporter" wouldnt have heard if ANYONE was on the trading block, because McBeane regime doesnt leak BRAH

No disrespect meant. Not just directed at you or your post, just a general statement post.

My point is everyone is on the trade block with this new regime. Even guys not on the trade block.

I think it helps the over all development of the line. The best 5 lineman on the roster are Glenn, Richie, Wood Dawkins and Miller. Out of Glenn and Dawkins who could transition to RT sooner and what would make the best combination for the oline? Glenn on the right side would be the perfect to RT to run the stretch and power at. Glenn with Richie pulling behind with dimarco leading the the way for Shady would be a very imposing running formation. I do not care about money or perception. Glenn replacing Mills in the line up takes a weakness and darn near turns it into a strength.

Edited by Mat68