Andy Benoit: Should We Believe in the Buffalo Bills?

Taylor has the leadership qualities of a franchise QB. The players respond to him.

This is often overlooked here. I don't think it's overlooked by McDermott. Compare to knuckleheads like Cam, Cutler, Jameis, etc

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As one who has been criticizing Taylor since, literally, his first drive as the Bills' starter (sorry, Levi and Levi's dad), I will say this:

• Many QBs are successful due, in large part, to a solid defense.
  • Tyrod has played better, and smarter, this season than he did in the previous two. And he's doing it with less talent around him.
  • Tyrod's ability to protect the ball cannot be undervalued.
  • His teammates seem to like him a lot.
  • He's a very hard worker and is dedicated to his profession.

However ... I am still not sold on him as the long-term solution to the Bills' QB needs. He's had a couple very good games against two very good teams. But his entire body of work cannot be ignored.

Am I happy with what he's done so far this year? Abso friggin lutely.

I am just not ready to say I believe in him and I can't see myself being there unless he plays like this for a solid 80% of this year's starts.

+1 (with the difference that I wasn't critical from day 1... it was the middle of last season when Tyrod definitely had a funk that I soured on him).

Edited by GunnerBill

As one who has been criticizing Taylor since, literally, his first drive as the Bills' starter (sorry, Levi and Levi's dad), I will say this:

• Many QBs are successful due, in large part, to a solid defense.
  • Tyrod has played better, and smarter, this season than he did in the previous two. And he's doing it with less talent around him.
  • Tyrod's ability to protect the ball cannot be undervalued.
  • His teammates seem to like him a lot.
  • He's a very hard worker and is dedicated to his profession.

However ... I am still not sold on him as the long-term solution to the Bills' QB needs. He's had a couple very good games against two very good teams. But his entire body of work cannot be ignored.

Am I happy with what he's done so far this year? Abso friggin lutely.

I am just not ready to say I believe in him and I can't see myself being there unless he plays like this for a solid 80% of this year's starts.

This is about as fair an assessment as one can give IMO. I'm a TT fan but it's too early to proclaim him the long term solution so to speak. On the flip side, I'm certainly not ready to say he will NEVER lead the Bills to the promised land. QB is an extremely difficult position to excel at, and, do it for a long period of time. So many guys come and go.....so many "can't miss" guys don't make it.

I think we hold on to Taylor until a better option comes along. With regards to the next draft, if McD and Beane feel a QB is the best value pick in the first round and it involves trading other picks, they'll get their guy. And I think they should pull that trigger if the opportunity presents itself. Let's face it, in this league, things can change in an instant and if the Bills aren't prepared, it can be costly down the road.

Yes but at least he took chances and was capable of regular 300+ yard games.

Taylor's numbers have always been misleading because he rarely throws the ball more than 10 yards, although last week in Atlanta certainly give him credit for finding Clay downfield a few times.

Most marginal NFL QB's can have success when your defense is playing at an elite level and allowing less than 13 points a game. Same reason why the Chiefs have won a lot of games in recent years with Alex Smith.

Taylor is no better than he was the last few years, he's the same guy but his flaws haven't been an issue other than the Panthers game because we've been able to score enough points to win and hold other teams in check.

But again, I maintain this is not sustainable over a 16 game season. At some point this defense will give up a lot of points and have a few bad games here and there and that's when Taylors glaring deficiences will once again be on full display.

Taylor is known for one of the best deep balls in the NFL. What are you talking about? The defense was the problem the last two seasons, not the offense.

I personally like TT a lot. He's played well so far and I'm willing to ride this out. If he can continue to do what he has been doing, then I don't believe we should be looking to trade up for a QB next year. That's not to say I wouldn't draft one, just that I wouldn't want to give up both of our 1sts. There are anywhere from 4-6 potentially legit QB's to be had in the first round, I'd rather roll the dice on who is available and have an competition for the starting QB next year.

Anyone who doesn't want an upgrade at QB is crazy, but until something better comes along, I think he is doing a tremendous job. Got to wonder it the OP is mamma Peterman, or just doesn't like mobile QBs.

In my opinion the OP looks like someone that wants better at QB for his favorite team just like many others do. Even you say people are crazy to not want a upgrade, well that's why he is discussing it unlike the love fest some have for Tyrod making excuses pointing at WRs,line and last year's defense. Tyrod is fine as a fill in thus year but that is all he is, he is no franchise worthy QB to bank the next decade on, of course that would change if he can be a better QB this season and takes us to a bowl game, time will tell. Until then I look forward to a upgrade next draft. Go Bills

I personally like TT a lot. He's played well so far and I'm willing to ride this out. If he can continue to do what he has been doing, then I don't believe we should be looking to trade up for a QB next year. That's not to say I wouldn't draft one, just that I wouldn't want to give up both of our 1sts. There are anywhere from 4-6 potentially legit QB's to be had in the first round, I'd rather roll the dice on who is available and have an competition for the starting QB next year.

Just because our defense has been playing lights out you dont think drafting QB should still be our first priority ?

If the FO believes that we can get our franchise QB in this draft , i hope will go after him no matter what the cost

Leads by example, sun up to sun down work ethic, gritty, high character, loyal, elite skill set and a team comes 1st player.

If you had to sum everything up McD is looking for in a player...

...T Mobile fits the Bill...

...Taylor made...

Tyrod is fine as a fill in thus year but that is all he is, he is no franchise worthy QB to bank the next decade on, of course that would change if he can be a better QB this season and takes us to a bowl game, time will tell.

Well, we only have to win three more games to be bowl-eligible, so perhaps there's hope that Tyrod can change your mind.

In my opinion the OP looks like someone that wants better at QB for his favorite team just like many others do. Even you say people are crazy to not want a upgrade, well that's why he is discussing it unlike the love fest some have for Tyrod making excuses pointing at WRs,line and last year's defense. Tyrod is fine as a fill in thus year but that is all he is, he is no franchise worthy QB to bank the next decade on, of course that would change if he can be a better QB this season and takes us to a bowl game, time will tell. Until then I look forward to a upgrade next draft. Go Bills

This is just it. And I've certainly hammered that point home.

In Vic Carruci's weekly podcast today he went as far as to say that even if the Bills were to make the Superbowl this year with Taylor he'd still be looking to upgrade the QB position in the offseason.

And quite honestly I don't argue that point, remember a guy named Colin Kapernick went to the Superbowl not too long ago with the 49ers and we all know where he is now and how his play was exposed especially after the 49ers defense started to suck.

If Taylor has one of the best deep balls in the NFL shouldn't his passing yards reflect that? Wouldnt a good coaching staff see that and build the offense around it?

My gut feeling on Taylor is he will never win us a playoff game. When a QB passes for 190 with 1 TD your defense better be great and your RB needs to be top 3 just to squeak out wins.

Those are the kind of numbers I would expect out of a backup QB playing ultra conservative who is hoping his defense and RB can get a win.

This team is on the rise, I feel like Taylor is just the bridge QB. If we can hit on that Kirk Cousins type QB we will be serious contenders in a year or two.

If Taylor has one of the best deep balls in the NFL shouldn't his passing yards reflect that? Wouldnt a good coaching staff see that and build the offense around it?

My gut feeling on Taylor is he will never win us a playoff game. When a QB passes for 190 with 1 TD your defense better be great and your RB needs to be top 3 just to squeak out wins.

Those are the kind of numbers I would expect out of a backup QB playing ultra conservative who is hoping his defense and RB can get a win.

This team is on the rise, I feel like Taylor is just the bridge QB. If we can hit on that Kirk Cousins type QB we will be serious contenders in a year or two.

His rushing TDs don't count? And they did reflect that in 2015 when Watkins was on the field more. Solid deep threats -they tried to get Maclin in here.

This is just it. And I've certainly hammered that point home.

In Vic Carruci's weekly podcast today he went as far as to say that even if the Bills were to make the Superbowl this year with Taylor he'd still be looking to upgrade the QB position in the offseason.

And quite honestly I don't argue that point, remember a guy named Colin Kapernick went to the Superbowl not too long ago with the 49ers and we all know where he is now and how his play was exposed especially after the 49ers defense started to suck.

Vic Carucci was a journalism major at Utica College. He never played the game. He is a fan like anyone else, his opinions mean as much as the guys that sell beer at New Era.

And yet the Bills are 3-1 with a terrible running attack. That's against three very good teams with excellent defense too. Also as a reminder : A very similar team with - yes, the same quarterback - was top ten scoring last year. I won't bother quibbling over a very good vs great defense because I'm not sure which the team has.

My main point? These anti-Taylor narratives have a strange tendency to veer off into fantasy. SavoirPeterman claims Taylor could never come back from 14pts down, ignoring the evidence of just a few games ago. He says Taylor rarely throws 10yds down the field, which is embarrassingly easy to disprove. Ktulu says Taylor can't win without a strong running attack, when that's exactly what they've been doing. It's pretty strange the anti-Taylor case has such a hard time staying between the lines of reality.

And yet the Bills are 3-1 with a terrible running attack. That's against three very good teams with excellent defense too. Also as a reminder : A very similar team with - yes, the same quarterback - was top ten scoring last year. I won't bother quibbling over a very good vs great defense because I'm not sure which the team has.

My main point? These anti-Taylor narratives have a strange tendency to veer off into fantasy. SavoirPeterman claims Taylor could never come back from 14pts down, ignoring the evidence of just a few games ago. He says Taylor rarely throws 10yds down the field, which is embarrassingly easy to disprove. Ktulu says Taylor can't win without a strong running attack, when that's exactly what they've been doing. It's pretty strange the anti-Taylor case has such a hard time staying between the lines of reality.

Reality is if you are such a good QB then show it and carry a team with your arm or legs to at least a playoff game, that is reality. This team appears to have a top 10 defense and we know Shady is a top 3 RB. I am just going to watch this season and see if Taylor can elevate his game and take this team to the playoffs.

Reality is if you are such a good QB then show it and carry a team with your arm or legs to at least a playoff game, that is reality. This team appears to have a top 10 defense and we know Shady is a top 3 RB. I am just going to watch this season and see if Taylor can elevate his game and take this team to the playoffs.

The defense was the main reason the Bills didn't make the playoff last season. The offense put up a lot of points.

becuz our run game has been such a threat this year right?

meanwhile there's no mention of what looks like a bottom 5 wr corp in this post. that's conveniently left out in these sort of posts

there are all of about 3 freaking qb's that could take a team on its back if the defense and run game let down and they were stuck with these "weapons" to throw to....

its hilarious to me how much this gets glossed over by anyone saying he needs to be able to prop a team up on his back.

The defense was the main reason the Bills didn't make the playoff last season. The offense put up a lot of points.

now that he finally has a defense around him we see exactly how UNDERVALUED taylors ability to take care of the football was.

I personally don't think much has changed with taylor other than the fact that he seems slightly more patient and we finally get to see how beneficial and VALUABLE his ball protection and efficient play(that's been around for 3 seasons now) can be with a consistent defense.

Edited by Stank_Nasty

Then why continue to ride Taylor? He's playing well enough to win. Some folks here won't give the guy an inch.

This.

Leads by example, sun up to sun down work ethic, gritty, high character, loyal, elite skill set and a team comes 1st player.

If you had to sum everything up McD is looking for in a player...

...T Mobile fits the Bill...

...Taylor made...

...he's here for the duration of 2017.....he'll never be confused with Air Coryell & Dan Fouts, but even if he puts up pedestrian numbers and gets you "W" weekly, what else matters?..TEN would be nice.....OBD STILL drafts a QB in the 1st of 2018 IMO.......

...he's here for the duration of 2017.....he'll never be confused with Air Coryell & Dan Fouts, but even if he puts up pedestrian numbers and gets you "W" weekly, what else matters?..TEN would be nice.....OBD STILL drafts a QB in the 1st of 2018 IMO.......

What a great scenario though.... win some games. get a taste of post season and STILL have the ammo to go get a top talent in the draft.

becuz our run game has been such a threat this year right?

meanwhile there's no mention of what looks like a bottom 5 wr corp in this post. that's conveniently left out in these sort of posts

there are all of about 3 freaking qb's that could take a team on its back if the defense and run game let down and they were stuck with these "weapons" to throw to....

its hilarious to me how much this gets glossed over by anyone saying he needs to be able to prop a team up on his back.

now that he finally has a defense around him we see exactly how UNDERVALUED taylors ability to take care of the football was.

I personally don't think much has changed with taylor other than the fact that he seems slightly more patient and we finally get to see how beneficial and VALUABLE his ball protection and efficient play(that's been around for 3 seasons now) can be with a consistent defense.

Yep. I agree.

From the quoted text in the first post:

Taylor is not a progression-read pocket passer. His vision is iffy and he doesn’t anticipate throwing windows, which forces a play-caller to use simpler route combinations. Taylor relies heavily on his mobility. When his initial reads don’t show open, he quickly assumes a runner’s mentality, breaking himself down in the pocket regardless of the pass rush. Occasionally, he’ll do this even before an early read unfolds. Open receivers go untargeted every game.”

This couldn't be more accurate. I have pointed out every one o these observations for a long time now, as have many others on this forum. That is who Tyrod is.

He is an easy upgrade if we move up in the draft far enough with the class of talent we will see in next year's draft.

PS: This reminds me of the dead-on analysis of who EJ Manuel is as well, coming from the people who live and die FSU football. They had him perfectly scouted too.

Taylor is not a progression-read pocket passer. His vision is iffy and he doesn’t anticipate throwing windows, which forces a play-caller to use simpler route combinations. Taylor relies heavily on his mobility. When his initial reads don’t show open, he quickly assumes a runner’s mentality, breaking himself down in the pocket regardless of the pass rush. Occasionally, he’ll do this even before an early read unfolds. Open receivers go untargeted every game.”

This couldn't be more accurate. I have pointed out every one o these observations for a long time now, as have many others on this forum. That is who Tyrod is.

He is an easy upgrade if we move up in the draft far enough with the class of talent we will see in next year's draft.

PS: This reminds me of the dead-on analysis of who EJ Manuel is as well, coming from the people who live and die FSU football. They had him perfectly scouted too.

http://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/914938974417846273

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/914930132363726848

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/914905499048579077

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/914891326038188037

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/912749115959889920

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/912742662842802176

Edited by Scott7975

It is accurate no doubt. However, we are winning right now and I'm very content with it.

I still would like the Bills to draft what they think is a franchise QB in next year or sign Cousins.

Edited by Real McCoy

BowedEveryHyracotherium-size_restricted.

@OnofrioRino

Replying to @YardsPerPass

I wanna see if Peterman can make that throw 1f602.png1f602.png1f602.png

^^ Love the comment.

@YardsPerPass

Another great throw by TT to Clay, drops it in and Clay holds on w/ contact

WearyLargeKoala-max-14mb.gif

Bail and run? Not here. Going through progressions? Yep.

@YardsPerPass

Extremely nice pass protection here. TT with plenty of space to scan field. That room makes a huge difference

NaturalTerribleGoa-max-14mb.gif

Rinse and repeat!

The anti-Taylor crowd has now taken to shouting. A few more victories - a few more sharp games by TT - who knows where their desperation will lead them.....

What a great scenario though.... win some games. get a taste of post season and STILL have the ammo to go get a top talent in the draft.

it is.

To dream a dreamers dream

The anti-Taylor crowd has now taken to shouting. A few more victories - a few more sharp games by TT - who knows where their desperation will lead them.....

clanking pots and pans to scare the Crows away, and the ghosts too. cuz they are scary things. Best way is to yell so very loudly so you cannot hear yourself think.

This works pretty okay most times