Andy Benoit: Should We Believe in the Buffalo Bills?

Should We Believe in the Buffalo Bills?

buffalo-bills-offense.png?itok=rqA6K0Jv

The Buffalo Bills are 3-1, but what are they really made of?

Instead of asking if first-time head coach Sean McDermott’s 3-1 Buffalo Bills are for real, let’s ask a more pertinent question: Can McDermott’s Bills continue to win with their style of play? Buffalo’s three victories are “very real” (in pro football, almost all victories are), but they were achieved via stingy defense and an ultra-controlled offense—a combination that hasn’t produced many serious contenders since the early 2000s.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still skeptical that it can net us better than a 10-6 record. I think that is our realistic ceiling for this year, we simply don't have the talent level and depth to match on sustained basis the best teams in the league. Next year's team will have more talent and as a result the play calling will adjust to the new infusion of talent this team will gain.

Instead of asking if first-time head coach Sean McDermott’s 3-1 Buffalo Bills are for real, let’s ask a more pertinent question: Can McDermott’s Bills continue to win with their style of play? Buffalo’s three victories are “very real” (in pro football, almost all victories are), but they were achieved via stingy defense and an ultra-controlled offense—a combination that hasn’t produced many serious contenders since the early 2000s.

But it has produced playoff teams...

He's right, especially when looking at how severely thin this team is at most positions. But...

That's really the key here. For the Bills (fan base), a wild card game is a Super Bowl. Consistent defense and a little luck can get them in, and that's all it takes for an outstandingly successful season.

Edited by Acantha

Fair take imo. Assuming injuries dont derail things and MD can get his head out of his pants I think the D can hold up if they are not seeing the field all afternoon. I think AB is underappreciating Gaines and Poyer. If all of that is true and if the Bills are serious about giving it their best shot this year their fortunes will rise or fall based on the performance of the O. Unless they find some WR help they will not be nearly the team they could be. Specifically they need a sure handed good route running legitimate deep ball threat who cn develop chemistry with TT. They can only fnd that via trade (and Arizona would be a good place to knock on the door imo).

Edited by starrymessenger

And SB Champions. If we can ever totally get the running game on track again, the defense keeps performing at this level, and Tyrod keeps up his play then we could be more than just a team who squeaks into the playoffs for the first time in 17 years.

a couple issues here, while our offense hasn't scored lots of points, we have played some really great defenses which he didn't acknowledge. He also states we have these offensive powerhouses coming up but down plays what we did to Atlanta. It seems to me he is looking for things to prove that we wont succeed imo. It doesn't mean the points he makes aren't valid, just seems to me it was written as a piece to back up what he already thought instead of using data to reach a conclusion on its own

One thing we don't know yet, because Opie's has only been the head coach of four games at any level in his life (preseason doesn't count), is whether he has been playing things so close to the vest because that is what he believes and he isn't going to stray, or, does he take each game as it comes like he should and a lot of good coaches do, and the way they have played out so far have all been close so he didn't need to,open the offense up, he didn't need to blitz more or take chances more on defense, he didn't need to do anything other than play this one score style of game.

I'm not sure either way. He seems slightly conservative but I'm not at all convinced that this is how we are always going to play. This allegedly impossible to sustain way.

He's right, especially when looking at how severely thin this team is at most positions. But...

That's really the key here. For the Bills (fan base), a wild card game is a Super Bowl. Consistent defense and a little luck can get them in, and that's all it takes for an outstandingly successful season.

Agreed, and I agree with you first point, which wasn't copied in this response.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

a couple issues here, while our offense hasn't scored lots of points, we have played some really great defenses which he didn't acknowledge.

Current scoring defense rankings:

Jets: 22

Carolina: 7

Denver: 9

Atlanta: 19

I think those defensive rankings line up pretty well with how well our offense has performed against them. Not great news for the next two games, especially considering the loss of JM, as Cinci is #5 and Tampa is #4.

After that the difficulty loosens up, except our two games at the end of the season against the #2 Dolphins.

I believe that the offense will only grow throughout the season. WE have seen strides the last few weeks already. Once Shady is going and Taylor gets more confident with his new WR's they will be better. Look for a big jump after the Bye week. They just need to get though this week with this style of football.

the falcons, Giants and Ravens were 3 teams that had similar attributes to what we do on the field.

The Giants super bowl D's had little respect. Most don't ever look at the D and appreciate what it can do by just sustaining itself and stopping consistent offensive production. Offensive penetration of a good d should be limited and a bend but not break type of system. We saw a bend but not break d in Atlanta.

Edited by Boyst62

the falcons, Giants and Ravens were 3 teams that had similar attributes to what we do on the field.

The Giants super bowl D's had little respect. Most don't ever look at the D and appreciate what it can do by just sustaining itself and stopping consistent offensive production. Offensive penetration of a good d should be limited and a bend but not break type of system. We saw a bend but not break d in Atlanta.

They create turnovers too and rarely turn the ball over. That is an underrated aspect of this team and fits the "bend but don't break model." They make a few plays to get them off the field.

They create turnovers too and rarely turn the ball over. That is an underrated aspect of this team and fits the "bend but don't break model." They make a few plays to get them off the field.

I was thinking earlier about which I would prefer. A Qb who had a 1 TD 0 INT game. Or one that had 2 TDs but 1-2 INTs. Normally I think I take the two TDs and try to weather the turnovers. With a good to great defense I think I take the 1-0 guy, which is Tyrod.

I think those defensive rankings line up pretty well with how well our offense has performed against them. Not great news for the next two games, especially considering the loss of JM, as Cinci is #5 and Tampa is #4.

After that the difficulty loosens up, except our two games at the end of the season against the #2 Dolphins.

Who are averaging 8.3 points per game, so Im not worried about them.

I see Cincy as #3 scoring D and tampa as #16

Also, our offense is based on running the ball and we have faced 3 of the top 12 teams against the run (Denver, Carolina and Atl) \\

Cincy is lower on the run D side at #17 whereas tampa is #5

I'm still skeptical that it can net us better than a 10-6 record. I think that is our realistic ceiling for this year, we simply don't have the talent level and depth to match on sustained basis the best teams in the league. Next year's team will have more talent and as a result the play calling will adjust to the new infusion of talent this team will gain.

Agree. Playoffs this year would be spectacular, but right now Im happy that the process looks pretty solid moving into the future.