One Final Observation on the Denver Game

Juice_32

I did not see this discussed, my apologies if I missed it.

After the 2 minute warning in the 4 quarter the Broncos had 3rd and 4 from the Bills 42 yard line. McD let the Broncos get set and then called a timeout. After the timeout, our DB's had them blanketed and Gaines gets a break up intended for Sanders.

On the next play, 4th and 4, McD did it again. Denver lined up, McD called timeout and again the Bills had them covered up. The pass was incomplete to Sanders, game over.

I know he has gotten some grief about clock and timeout management but I was really impressed with the way McD handled that final Denver drive. It seemed like a very intelligent approach to burn those timeouts and it worked. You could see the frustration in the Denver players body language when both timeouts were called. It has been a long time since it's felt like we were a step ahead of an opponent. In that series it felt like we were and it was refreshing.

Edited by Juice_32

This is what he did in Carolina on the Panthers' final drive. He clearly waited to see their formation and personnel before calling a timeout. I had no problem with it but people thought he somehow was unaware of the clock and was letting time go for no reason.

This is one of those things where I'd prefer to do it like last week, when you have the luxury to do so.

Its nice to see what smart coaching looks like for our guys instead of making opposing coaches look like geniuses. That team on Sunday played one of the smartest games I have seen from the Bills since 2000. The defense confined their worst mental mistakes to the Broncos TD drive in the first half (Hyde and Hughes personal fouls). The 42 second field goal drive at the end of the half was really beautiful execution and clock management.

I believe part of it was how gassed our guys were on defense, but agreed it was effective!

Difficult to know the exact motivations unless one of the coaches or players provides insight to what transpired but I tend to think that McD was aware of the situation he was in that he had the luxury of all those TO's left with no need to have to save them for his offense and he used them wisely to help his defense get more set defensively and stop whatever hurry up momentum Denver could muster.

After the 2 minute warning in the 4 quarter the Broncos had 3rd and 4 from the Bills 42 yard line. McD let the Broncos get set and then called a timeout. After the timeout, our DB's had them blanketed and Gaines gets a break up intended for Sanders.

On the next play, 4th and 4, McD did it again. Denver lined up, McD called timeout and again the Bills had them covered up. The pass was incomplete to Sanders, game over.

I know he has gotten some grief about clock and timeout management but I was really impressed with the way McD handled that final Denver drive. It seemed like a very intelligent approach to burn those timeouts and it worked. You could see the frustration in the Denver players body language when both timeouts were called. It has been a long time since it's felt like we were a step ahead of an opponent. In that series it felt like we were and it was refreshing.

I agree those were judicious use of timeouts, but they had nothing to do with time management, which is my chief concern with McDermott.

Final a solid coaching staff! I am confident because of their skill set, preparation, determination, and desire they will continue to get better and better. I am excited with the direction of our team!

Final a solid coaching staff! I am confident because of their skill set, preparation, determination, and desire they will continue to get better and better. I am excited with the direction of our team!

You dont get anything if you dont use them. Clocks stopped anyway, so why not take a look at what theyre looking to do, and get a breather.

I get it. I'm not claiming it was some genius, outside the box decision. It was just nice to see the team and coach calm and calculated.

I don't remember that under Rex. It was like chickens with their heads cut off. The moment wasn't too big for this staff on the final drive against a quality opponent.

What's even better is that calling the TOs worked! Two great stops!

Good point, so many times during our bad years we'd be forced to call a TO on 3rd down, then our offense would come out and throw a check down short of the sticks, or our defense would give up the 1st. If we're gonna use them at least make an adjustment that works.

Edited by HappyDays

I agree those were judicious use of timeouts, but they had nothing to do with time management, which is my chief concern with McDermott.

Those kind of mistakes (if they even were mistakes) don't bother me because they are correctable and can be chalked up to inexperience. OTH, kicking a FG on fourth and inches against the Patriots (like O'Brien did late in the game on Sunday) is a sign of incurable stupidity.

I have no problem with his clock management. As a coach you are judged by if you win most believe you are right and If you lose most assume you are wrong. Against Car by keeping that time out he allowed the offense to use the whole field. If Zay makes that catch and is short they have another shot at the end zone. No reason to use the TO early and rush the game winning plays. I am not a fan of Gannon and thought his opinion of the the end of game scenario was not entirely accurate. They had plenty of time and you had to move into position to score. They use the timeout when he thinks they should and Zay makes that catch but is ruled down before the endzone and they lose is that better?

Against Denver we were up 2 scores and if they make the stop they win. Both those time outs were used when the time was already stopped. With they heat imo he was using them to give his guys a rest but also get an idea of what they are trying to schematically. No different then a late game basketball time out vs inbound plays.

Edited by Mat68

The only reason the Carolina game was questioned is because Rich Gannon kept blathering on about how he wasted time. Everything went as it should have except that the pass to Zay wasnt completed, for whatever reason. They make that play and theyre sitting pretty to win the game with little or no time left

I get it. I'm not claiming it was some genius, outside the box decision. It was just nice to see the team and coach calm and calculated.

I don't remember that under Rex. It was like chickens with their heads cut off. The moment wasn't too big for this staff on the final drive against a quality opponent.

Yup... playing to win. Leaving nothing on the table

1. Defense showed they're no fluke. Even the rook White rebounded from the 1st half to be formidable in the 2nd, Nice rebound for the kid.

2. Dennison and TT showed they're working to get on the game page. Play calling was more diversified and effective. Hiccups were expected but the "W" was "on the board" at the end of the day for which I had my doubts after Denver shut down the Cowboys. Even with Shady having an off day, paste the W. Can't ask for much more.

This is what he did in Carolina on the Panthers' final drive. He clearly waited to see their formation and personnel before calling a timeout. I had no problem with it but people thought he somehow was unaware of the clock and was letting time go for no reason.

This is one of those things where I'd prefer to do it like last week, when you have the luxury to do so.

Yup. McDermott spoke to this on his wgr appearance after the Carolina game when they were questioning his timeout use/clock management that game. He said they wanted to see the formation first to put his defense in the best position to stop it. When they asked a follow up question about what if they change the formation after the timeout, his response was basically while that could happen, it's still a win for us because we're forcing them into taking their second best option. What a refreshing change from Rex. Edited by Chandemonium

Time management is one of those unprovable arguments that critics use to find fault. Except for Rex Ryan. He absolutely was a dipshit.

One *overthrown* pass.

That the receiver had both hands on.

excellent observation, i remember thinking that it was a cool move to ice the opponents before critical plays and give the defense the time to rest and set up.

mcd understands the psychology of the game. we could all be in for an exciting ride!

Time management is one of those unprovable arguments that critics use to find fault. Except for Rex Ryan. He absolutely was a dipshit.

I am not trying to "find fault" here. Time management skill is anything but an unprovable concept; it is readily identifiable when used proficiently and the lack of time management skill is just as obvious when it isn't. Ryan is a good example of poor skill as you point out. Imo, McD has an issue with wasting time while deciding when to call a TO or not, like at the end of the half vs. Carolina for instance. He needs to know every scenario going into a game. Letting precious seconds tick down before deciding to conserve time for your offense is too hesitant. He needs to be more decisive, sure of himself in that regard.