I'm Surprised by Zay Jones' Slow Start

26CornerBlitz

He is coming from ECU and the American athletic conference. The speed of the game and talent of the players is 50x better.

He caught lollipops for 4 years at ECU and now TT is slinging it to him with zip. He never played against such good competition and he never had to catch a fastball from an NFL QB

This is a huge adjustment

He caught 22 balls against USC in Columbia. He caught 14 against a Gators secondary that are all in the NFL now. The competition argument is probably a little overblown.

I don't get the drops, but do think he'll figure it out.

He caught 22 balls against USC in Columbia. He caught 14 against a Gators secondary that are all in the NFL now. The competition argument is probably a little overblown.

Agreed on bolded.

He's just played badly.

Like a young QB handed a starting job without a competition they can start to internalize and fight themselves.

Another disservice from this front office and staff.........competition gets young players out of their own heads.

Agreed on bolded.

He's just played badly.

Like a young QB handed a starting job without a competition they can start to internalize and fight themselves.

Another disservice from this front office and staff.........competition gets young players out of their own heads.

I just get this feeling there is gonna be a game where it just starts to click for Zay...and its gonna be behind him forever

The competition wasn't my focus point...

I said he caught lollipops for 4 years. The ECU QB throws lollipops compared to TT . The zip of the ball is way faster than what Zay Jones got at ECU

He wasn't catching NFL fastballs at ECU

I said he caught lollipops for 4 years. The ECU QB throws lollipops compared to TT . The zip of the ball is way faster than what Zay Jones got at ECU

Hands are hands. You didn't see receivers playing worse with Favre because he threw bullets.

Shane Carden's velocity at the combine was higher than Tyrod's. It's not a physical problem. The competition he faced was solid and he actually played his best against SEC and ACC teams. The kid can catch a football, he just has to believe it. This is 100% mental.

Hands are hands. You didn't see receivers playing worse with Favre because he threw bullets.

Because they were NFL receivers who played with Favre and adjusted lol

Zay is a kid who never played with an NFL QB at ECU... and now he plays with NFL caliber arms. It's completely different

That's why they make jugs machines.

Agreed on bolded.

He's just played badly.

I don't know that it was a disservice necessarily, that will take more than 5 games to figure out. I do agree that he's fighting himself though.

Shane Carden's velocity at the combine was higher than Tyrod's. It's not a physical problem. The competition he faced was solid and he actually played his best against SEC and ACC teams. The kid can catch a football, he just has to believe it. This is 100% mental.

TTs arm has gotten much stronger than his testing #s... Petermans velocity was higher than TT at the combine also... I would bet he doesn't have more velocity than TT today

Yeah cause Favre never had a rookie WR? Come on bro, you're talking about a possession receiver - he has caught bullets before.

For sure but not regularly.

Almost every ball in the NFL is on a rope. It's not like that in college. When they say adjusting to the speed of the game it's just not the players.. it's also the ball speed

I agree he had great hands in college but it doesn't always translate

Another ball that you would like caught, but I wouldn't call it easy.

How easy is easy? While the four mentioned were not gift wrapped and hand delivered by Hotrod, by NFL standards they are easy catches.

Do you think these passes were too hard for Zay to catch?

It's the bigs. Catch the freakin' football when it hits you in the hands.

Tough to say always given the extremely productive rookie WRs who have come out the past few years.

This

Agree here too, that's why I have hope for him.

Because they were NFL receivers who played with Favre and adjusted lol

Zay is a kid who never played with an NFL QB at ECU... and now he plays with NFL caliber arms. It's completely different

That's why they make jugs machines.

..of course the competition level is VASTLY different......it even took the GOAT Jerry Rice to adjust from the Mississippi Valley State juggernaut.........kid is playing mind games with himself and expecting 160 ECU receptions to translate into the NFL level.....amplifying his drops so far is affecting his play......bring in Andre Reed for a week to work with the kid and get his head refocused.......Zay is well worth it IMO...

How easy is easy? While the four mentioned were not gift wrapped and hand delivered by Hotrod, by NFL standards they are easy catches.

Do you think these passes were too hard for Zay to catch?

It's the bigs. Catch the freakin' football when it hits you in the hands.

As I've said, like five times, he should have caught all of the drops he's had. I'm not disagreeing with that. So no, they were not too hard for him to catch.

These are easy catches that were dropped.

MegatronDrop.gif

dexter-mccluster-drop.gif

dropped_pass_1_medium.gif

ginn.0.gif

LpCDuqfMjPk9G.gif

I don't think what I'm saying is that hard to follow here. When I say easy I mean open, without the threat of getting hit, and the ball is delivered on target.

Yes, he should have caught them. No, they were not easy catches like the gifs above. No, I am not going to start calling him a bust or worry that he has the yips.

It's been five games ffs.

Edited by elroy16

As I've said, like five times, he should have caught all of the drops he's had. I'm not disagreeing with that. So no, they were not too hard for him to catch.

These are easy catches that were dropped.

MegatronDrop.gif

dexter-mccluster-drop.gif

dropped_pass_1_medium.gif

ginn.0.gif

LpCDuqfMjPk9G.gif

I don't think what I'm saying is that hard to follow here. When I say easy I mean open, without the threat of getting hit, and the ball is delivered on target.

Yes, he should have caught them. No, they were not easy catches like the gifs above. No, I am not going to start calling him a bust or worry that he has the yips.

It's been five games ffs.

He's an NFL WR, ffs.

He's been pathetic.

He dropped all of his accounts? :D

The velocity of social media posts in the NFL is different than what he saw in college. Give him time - he needs to adjust to the speed of NFL social media

Yesterday's stats:

Tyrod to Zay: 2/9 (22.2%) for 17 Yards (1.89 YPA)

Tyrod to everyone else: 18/24 (75%) for 251 Yards (10.46 YPA) and 1 TD

Most accurate passer in Bills history.

He had Watkins, Woods, Clay and McCoy healthy only a handful of times in two years and when he did he was completing passes regularly in the 70%+ range.

Give Taylor playmakers and you get a synergy you don't get with a lot of other QB's...........take them all away and he can Jauron Ball you to mediocrity.............he's not franchise but he's pretty good and Zay is in the way right now.

@MatthewFairburn

Rick Dennison on Zay Jones: "There's not a play where he's not busting his tail."

@mikerodak

Bills offensive coordinator Rick Dennison continued to stand behind rookie WR Zay Jones on Monday, saying... http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-40006555-4

@Nick_Wojton

Dennison on Zay Jones: In time he'll produce #Bills

@MatthewFairburn

Rick Dennison on Zay Jones: "There's not a play where he's not busting his tail."

@mikerodak

Bills offensive coordinator Rick Dennison continued to stand behind rookie WR Zay Jones on Monday, saying... http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-40006555-4

@Nick_Wojton

Dennison on Zay Jones: In time he'll produce #Bills

JP Losman, Trent Edwards and EJ Manuel busted their butts, too.

Here's a link to Zay's drop against the falcons.

https://twitter.com/Allen_Strk/status/915752356859523072

It's a pass you really want him to catch, but you can't persuade me into thinking this is an easy catch.

Greaaaaaat double move there

Yesterday's stats:

Tyrod to Zay: 2/9 (22.2%) for 17 Yards (1.89 YPA)

Tyrod to everyone else: 18/24 (75%) for 251 Yards (10.46 YPA) and 1 TD

I suspect the targets aren't converting easily because he's not quite where he is expected to be based on the stats above. Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

We are comparing a WR to a QB now?

No. We're not. We're simply showing that, although some players give it their all, the fact remains that they just suck. No matter how hard they try to not suck. Regardless of position.

Takes 20 seconds to google the box score and see that that was not the case.

Thompson: 4 catches on 4 targets

O'Leary: 2 catches on 2 targets

McCoy: 5 catches on 7 targets

Thomas: 1 catch on 1 target

T. Jones: 1 catch on 2 targets

Holmes: 2 catches on 3 targets

Matthews: 2 catches on 3 targets

Tolbert: 1 catch on 1 target

1 throw away.

That makes up the 18/24

He is not just having a bad season - he is having a HISTORICALLY bad season. If he continues at this pace (i.e., if they don't bench him, which they should), he may set records for worst catch rate of all-time. This is an EPIC flameout.

My main concern with Zay is not his drops as it is his inability to get open. He's getting smothered by LBs. Just watching his body language he seems so tight. Right now he is arguably the worst wideout in the league.

I'm far from giving up on him. But because he is currently such a liability he is adding pressure to the other receivers. It's time for him to visit the bench and take a break.

My main concern with Zay is not his drops as it is his inability to get open. He's getting smothered by LBs. Just watching his body language he seems so tight. Right now he is arguably the worst wideout in the league.

I'm far from giving up on him. But because he is currently such a liability he is adding pressure to the other receivers. It's time for him to visit the bench and take a break.

So we used a 2nd round pick to draft a WR who needs to develop his separation and pass-catching skills.

That's like drafting an OT who doesn't know how to block, yet.

Awesome.

So we used a 2nd round pick to draft a WR who needs to develop his separation and pass-catching skills.

That's like drafting an OT who doesn't know how to block, yet.

Awesome.

Not necessarily. Zay is struggling. There is no doubt about it. Anyone who says otherwise is either blind or an outlandish homer. Just because he is struggling in his rookie year doesn't mean that he is an abject failure with no future. No question he needs more time beyond this season. Then a clearer assessment can be made about his prospects.

The velocity of social media posts in the NFL is different than what he saw in college. Give him time - he needs to adjust to the speed of NFL social media

I disagree. Theres something very wrong with this kid. Coaches are talking him up, but hes not delivering. I think their view is skewed because they traded up to get him and they dont like being fooled. When opponents choose to cover a WR with a linebacker and he still catches just 2 of 9 targets, thats a problem. For as poor as our Receiving crew is, hes rightfully on the bottom. Theres been NOTHING to suggest he isnt a Bust. Yeah, I said it.

I disagree. Theres something very wrong with this kid. Coaches are talking him up, but hes not delivering. I think their view is skewed because they traded up to get him and they dont like being fooled. When opponents choose to cover a WR with a linebacker and he still catches just 2 of 9 targets, thats a problem. For as poor as our Receiving crew is, hes rightfully on the bottom. Theres been NOTHING to suggest he isnt a Bust. Yeah, I said it.

Not only that, David is just back in action from a high ankle sprain. That's a matchup he should win every time.

Not necessarily. Zay is struggling. There is no doubt about it. Anyone who says otherwise is either blind or an outlandish homer. Just because he is struggling in his rookie year doesn't mean that he is an abject failure with no future. No question he needs more time beyond this season. Then a clearer assessment can be made about his prospects.

But this is a 2nd round pick. The issues he's having are issues that a) one would expect from an UDFA and b) would result in almost any other WR being cut in training camp.

I hope he figures it out.

But I remember hoping Aaron Maybin would figure it out, too.

I'm not optimistic.