I'm Surprised by Zay Jones' Slow Start

26CornerBlitz

Through 4 Weeks, 21 completions to WR. Jones has about 20% of those (4/21).

Week 4 - 4 WR receptions

Matthews: 2

Jones: 1

Holmes: 1

Week 3 - 6 WR receptions

Matthews: 3

Holmes: 2

K. Clay: 1

Week 2 - 7 WR receptions

Matthews: 3

Holmes: 2

Jones: 2

Week 1 - 4 WR receptions

Matthews: 2

Jones: 1

Holmes: 1

It's almost comical that Tyrod can't make a clean throw to Jones when he's wide open. Jones will be just fine.

If he needs perfectly thrown footballs to catch, he's probably on the wrong team.

Dropsies were not part of Eric's issues early on

I've been watching football a looooooong time and I can't recall any other rookie WR dropping as many passes as this kid does.

Robert Woods was a second round pick too, and he dropped some, but nothing like this.

Edited by reddogblitz

Um, this is his MOM

@maneeshajones

Catch the ball @zayjones11 hahaha

And he liked the tweet

That drop on the nice vertical throw from Taylor loomed large as the Bills were forced to punt and Falcons came right down the field and scored a TD.............it's getting serious and his mom is probably tryna remind him it's not life-and-death(but it's time to get over the yips).

If he needs perfectly thrown footballs to catch, he's probably on the wrong team.

I've been watching football a looooooong time and I can't recall any other rookie WR dropping as many passes as this kid does.

Robert Woods was a second round pick too, and he dropped some, but nothing like this.

Woods was a stud his rookie year

Had 50+ catches if I recall and hardly dropped any

Gotta make this play.

@Cover_1_

Really nice pocket awareness by TT vs zone blitz, couldn't throw a more catchable ball. Gotta have it Zay.

https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/914853444187557888/pu/vid/1286x720/mJ1dcxIdW_Vaq6qT.mp4

Indeed. Common college player/rookie mistake... he caught it with his arms, not his hands.

This will be interesting to see how Zay responds to the Matthews injury. The dropsies could get worse with more pressure because it's clearly mental now. Or the whole issue goes away and he steps up which could actually accelerate his rookie indoctrination.

Holmes has made about four or five nice contributions already. He may be a stopgap. Tate does little as a WR. I think I'd rather have Reilly than Powell.

This will be interesting to see how Zay responds to the Matthews injury. The dropsies could get worse with more pressure because it's clearly mental now. Or the whole issue goes away and he steps up which could actually accelerate his rookie indoctrination.

Holmes has made about four or five nice contributions already. He may be a stopgap. Tate does little as a WR. I think I'd rather have Reilly than Powell.

Some times it takes just one catch. I was nowhere near the level Zay is at but when I played in HS, when you've got the dropsies, the ball looks like a marble being thrown at you. After I finally caught that one ball...I was fine. Then it looks like a beach ball coming at you. I hope it's the case with him.

Some times it takes just one catch. I was nowhere near the level Zay is at but when I played in HS, when you've got the dropsies, the ball looks like a marble being thrown at you. After I finally caught that one ball...I was fine. Then it looks like a beach ball coming at you. I hope it's the case with him.

He caught the last one IIRC. I also thought they should have started the game with a bubble screen or quick out to get him an easy catch. I agree that one could do it. You never know.

Zay in unlike any rookie receiver I have ever seen. Usually they struggle with separation and getting open... Zay is literally running wide open a good amount.

It's definitely mental but i think he is over thinking everything. The depth of his route, how the corner is playing him, How to sit down in the soft zone. Then the ball is hiked and the game speed is 20x the speed he was used to at ECU... it's chaotic to him and he hasn't adjusted yet

Not to mention TT throws twice as hard as the dude from ECU. Zay isn't used to catching a ball from an NFL level QB

Zay in unlike any rookie receiver I have ever seen. Usually they struggle with separation and getting open... Zay is literally running wide open a good amount.

It's definitely mental but i think he is over thinking everything. The depth of his route, how the corner is playing him, How to sit down in the soft zone. Then the ball is hiked and the game speed is 20x the speed he was used to at ECU... it's chaotic to him and he hasn't adjusted yet

Not to mention TT throws twice as hard as the dude from ECU. Zay isn't used to catching a ball from an NFL level QB

This is a big reason why I'm not overly concerned yet. Most of his drops have been at least moderately difficult. Outside of maybe the Panther's drop, they are all passes he should have caught, but it's not like he's dropping passes that are right in his chest.

Now I know that most of the passes he's going to catch in his career aren't going to be easy catches. I just think that four games into his career, we shouldn't be getting too down on him.

He's getting open which seems to be the hard part for most rookies. Hopefully the game will slow down a hair for him and he'll start making these catches.

.......kid is pressing too much and making himself ahead case....it WILL come lad.......build that confidence one day and one catch a ta time.....

from D &C's Sal M:

"At Carolina, he was unable to reel in Tyrod Taylor’s desperation heave on the final play, though it would have been a great catch had he made it."

"To his credit, the affable 22-year-old with the engaging smile isn’t getting down. Yes, he cried in the locker room in Carolina, but that was more because he felt he let his teammates down, not about his tough start."

Last week he was right there to having a big game. If Buffalo is going beat Cinncy he needs to be the guy that steps up and makes the plays. I have faith that he will. Maybe Matthews going down is the best thing for him. If he gets his confidence up this week after the bye with Matthews back they may have a decent passing attack on the outside.

What have you seen thus far to give you such a belief?

Good question. I was at the game last week and when Zay made a catch all the Bills fans around me cheered the same way you do for a kicker that misses 3 FG's and finally makes an extra point. But I said at the time that I felt like something clicked in him, like he and Tyrod are starting to get on the same page. That coupled with the feeling he will step up when needed the most, leads me to believe he will make a positive statement this week. Edited by buffaloboyinATL

He's a rookie WR on the most unfriendly passing team in the NFL. I was expecting a slow start.

You were expecting the son of a former NFL star who caught 150 passes last year and more passes than anyone in NCAA history during his college career to be dropping passes on his hands, panic-jumping at balls and running poor routes?

You were expecting the son of a former NFL star who caught 150 passes last year and more passes than anyone in NCAA history during his college career to be dropping passes on his hands, panic-jumping at balls and running poor routes?

Ahem...158 passes.

What they need to do is get him some easy touches early to build his confidences back up. Like some WR screens & quick slant's.

The problem is that they really can't afford to sacrifice any downs/drives to build the confidence of a guy who isn't going to make big plays..........contrary to popular belief they don't have a suffocating defense........the name of the game is limiting the amount of possessions that their defense has to be on the field and executing MISTAKE FREE drives on offense.

Last week they directed a couple throws to Drop Zone Jones on their second to last drive of the first half.........he dropped a beautifully thrown long pass on 3rd down that quite probably allows them to either run the first half clock out or even potentially score AGAIN before the half........and the energized Falcons immediately marched right down the field and scored a touchdown. It was body blow to the Bills and a boost to the Falcons..........momentum matters a lot when playing Jauron Ball.

The problem is that they really can't afford to sacrifice any downs/drives to build the confidence of a guy who isn't going to make big plays..........contrary to popular belief they don't have a suffocating defense........the name of the game is limiting the amount of possessions that their defense has to be on the field and executing MISTAKE FREE drives on offense.

Last week they directed a couple throws to Drop Zone Jones on their second to last drive of the first half.........he dropped a beautifully thrown long pass on 3rd down that quite probably allows them to either run the first half clock out or even potentially score AGAIN before the half........and the energized Falcons immediately marched right down the field and scored a touchdown. It was body blow to the Bills and a boost to the Falcons..........momentum matters a lot when playing Jauron Ball.

I agree with you 💯% but now he's our number one till Matthews gets back so we have to try and get him involved early.