I'm Surprised by Zay Jones' Slow Start

26CornerBlitz

If our receiving core wasn't so thin I think we would seriously consider demoting Zay to our #4 receiver. Zay now has only 5 receptions on 23 targets. Pretty much nothing good ever happens when we target him. It's probably not ALL on Zay, but still we are shooting ourselves in the foot every time we target him. You got to believe that targeting another player would have better results.

Two drops. It's becoming Steve Sax Syndrome. ;)

I do think he'll get it together. But this is brutal to watch.

At this point I have no idea if he will get it together.

The same thing happened with Josh Reed.

As a rookie he was tremendous and caught anything near him..........looked like the second coming of Hines Ward.

But that was as the #3 WR in a loaded passing attack with Eric Moulds and Peerless Price along with Larry Centers and Jay Riemersma.

The following year.......he moved up to the #2 WR and he dropped a wide-open bomb from Drew Bledsoe in Jacksonville and NEVER recovered.

NEVER.

For the next two years he was awful........he got a little better later........but he was JAG and would still just randomly drop easy passes and kill drives.

Hopefully things change with Zay.........but as I said in another thread........he could end up being a waste of two draft picks.

• 2 weeks later...

@TheBillsWire

#GoBillsNFL_2017_BUFBills_v2.png WR Zay Jones 'refreshed' after bye week, could break out vs. Bucks

http://billswire.usatoday.com/2017/10/19/bills-zay-jones-refreshed-after-nfl-bye-week/

“Just took a step back from everything, kind of caught my breath,” Jones said. “Got away from football for a little bit, but was able to come back and be refreshed. Now just, knowing that we have to go back to work again, just trying to clean up all the details and go back to the fundamentals of being a wide receiver for myself.”

Jerry Sullivan pointed out these numbers regarding Zay Jones NFL production so far:

Jerry Sullivan @ByJerrySullivan Oct 18

Zay Jones had 66 catches in his first five games for East Carolina last season. He has five through five games for the Bills.

21 replies 5 retweets 19 likes

Obviously a big difference between the NFL and college, but this is somewhat concerning for a player that was very productive in college and the start he's off to in the NFL.

I have nothing to back it up but the preseason games, but I think that Jones would look much better if Peterman were the QB. Taylor refuses to throw unless you are wide open. Jones looks like the type of WR who thrives on catching the "very small window" ball that Peterman throws but Taylor doesn't. Yeah, I'm talking about "preseason" football...but it's still my opinion on the matter.

I have nothing to back it up but the preseason games, but I think that Jones would look much better if Peterman were the QB. Taylor refuses to throw unless you are wide open. Jones looks like the type of WR who thrives on catching the "very small window" ball that Peterman throws but Taylor doesn't. Yeah, I'm talking about "preseason" football...but it's still my opinion on the matter.

Wait - you actually think the problem with Jones is that he needs to be given the chance for more contested catches, because wide-open looks aren't his forte??

Man this a bad take and a false narrative. Stop with the preseason analysis that had you declaring Mahomes as the next great thing who was going to supplant Alex Smith as the KC starter this season.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Scorching hot take right here!!! If he had more contested throws and someone else threw him the ball he would drop it less? That sounds reasonable :w00t:

The reality is he is struggling mightily at the moment. He has lost his confidence and hopefully this bye week helped him regain it. It is no one's fault but his that he can't catch though. It's amazing what some will do to fit pages into their narrative.

The drops have me confused. The kid had great hands in college and all of a sudden now he can't catch anything. Don't say it's because he has lost poorly thrown balls either, you don't catch almost 500 passes in college without a good portion of them not being on the money, this kid has the yips.

The drops have me confused. The kid had great hands in college and all of a sudden now he can't catch anything. Don't say it's because he has lost poorly thrown balls either, you don't catch almost 500 passes in college without a good portion of them not being on the money, this kid has the yips.

He is coming from ECU and the American athletic conference. The speed of the game and talent of the players is 50x better.

He caught lollipops for 4 years at ECU and now TT is slinging it to him with zip. He never played against such good competition and he never had to catch a fastball from an NFL QB

This is a huge adjustment

He is coming from ECU and the American athletic conference. The speed of the game and talent of the players is 50x better.

He caught lollipops for 4 years at ECU and now TT is slinging it to him with zip. He never played against such good competition and he never had to catch a fastball from an NFL QB

This is a huge adjustment

At the same time he had fantastic numbers against power 5 opponents in college and was (arguably) the best player on the field at the Senior Bowl.

I'm not too worried about the drops yet. I know, I know, I know, "easy" catches are rare in the NFL, but so far I don't think he's dropped any easy passes. The article mentions four drops, I'm guessing the one in the end zone that Holmes caught for a TD, the WR screen at his knees near the end zone, the long pass down the right sideline, and maybe the Carolina pass? Honestly, only the WR screen was a bad drop IMO and that was at his knees. The long pass down the sideline was a weird semi-dive that I think he tried because he might have got hammered by the safety. The endzone drop was a quick pass that was high and away. The Carolina drop was a very tough catch.

I've seen at least a handful of what I would call very bad drops on very easy catches by other receivers. Go read about Amari Cooper, he's having serious issue with dropping passes. Now hopefully Zay doesn't approach that level of bad hands and level of drops, but so far I don't think it's close to that big of an issue.

One thing I found kind of interesting was this statement about the bye, “I think everyone needed the bye week,” Jones said. “Feels good to just get away and just enjoy friends, family, loved ones. For guys who are rehabbing, they’re rehabbing, so it’s just good to take a step back, but it’s great to see everybody’s face, everyone’s smiling. I think everyone’s really happy and we have a great game plan in and I’m really excited for it.”

This feels like an early bye for us, but for them they've been at it for almost three and a half months. Hopefully he comes back, gets some "easy" catches, has the game slow down a tad for him, and he gets going. He's been open including a number of times when Tyrod hasn't gone his way. He just needs to get some confidence back and earn Tyrod's trust and I'm confident he'll get going.

I'm not too worried about the drops yet. I know, I know, I know, "easy" catches are rare in the NFL, but so far I don't think he's dropped any easy passes. The article mentions four drops, I'm guessing the one in the end zone that Holmes caught for a TD, the WR screen at his knees near the end zone, the long pass down the right sideline, and maybe the Carolina pass? Honestly, only the WR screen was a bad drop IMO and that was at his knees. The long pass down the sideline was a weird semi-dive that I think he tried because he might have got hammered by the safety. The endzone drop was a quick pass that was high and away. The Carolina drop was a very tough catch.

I've seen at least a handful of what I would call very bad drops on very easy catches by other receivers. Go read about Amari Cooper, he's having serious issue with dropping passes. Now hopefully Zay doesn't approach that level of bad hands and level of drops, but so far I don't think it's close to that big of an issue.

One thing I found kind of interesting was this statement about the bye, “I think everyone needed the bye week,” Jones said. “Feels good to just get away and just enjoy friends, family, loved ones. For guys who are rehabbing, they’re rehabbing, so it’s just good to take a step back, but it’s great to see everybody’s face, everyone’s smiling. I think everyone’s really happy and we have a great game plan in and I’m really excited for it.”

This feels like an early bye for us, but for them they've been at it for almost three and a half months. Hopefully he comes back, gets some "easy" catches, has the game slow down a tad for him, and he gets going. He's been open including a number of times when Tyrod hasn't gone his way. He just needs to get some confidence back and earn Tyrod's trust and I'm confident he'll get going.

He certainly has dropped a couple of easily catchable passes.

I feel like I have said the same thing every week. I think he could have a big game at any time. Going home probably helped him get his confidence. He is to me a big play away from really become a solid contributor.

Edited by Mat68

He certainly has dropped a couple of easily catchable passes.

Which ones? The article mention four, I gave four, granted one or two of those may not be what they were mentioning.

I can go back and rewatch the games if you tell me what game and about when you think it happened.

I honestly don't remember a single pass, that hit him in stride, that he's dropped.

For example.

MegatronDrop.gif

Edited by elroy16

Which ones? The article mention four, I gave four, granted one or two of those may not be what they were mentioning.

I can go back and rewatch the games if you tell me what game and about when you think it happened.

I honestly don't remember a single pass, that hit him in the chest, that he's dropped.

The ones I remember off the top are a quick screen against the Bengals and a deep pass against the Falcons that should have been routine catches.

The ones I remember off the top are a quick screen against the Bengals and a deep pass against the Falcons that should have been routine catches.

First ones that came to mind. Along with the pass against Denver that was caught by Holmes in the back of the end zone.

Ue9HlBv.gif

Edited by Captain Murica

The quick screen was near the end zone, at his knees, right? That is the worst of his drops, imo.

Was the deep pass against the Falcons the one where he kinda dove? He should have had that as well, but I think half dive screwed him up a bit. I still don't know if I'd call that an easy, routine catch, but I can see your side of it.

Like Buffalo716 said, he's coming from the AAC. Yes he played against some big schools, but the NFL has to be a big jump for him. I'm not going to get down on him yet.

Another one. :thumbsup:

I mentioned that one already. A quick pass, high and wide. A catchable ball, but not easy.

Edited by elroy16

At the same time he had fantastic numbers against power 5 opponents in college and was (arguably) the best player on the field at the Senior Bowl.

He was excellent.

I think it just shows the huge jump from AAC to NFL. Your mind is constantly racing to remember all your nuances and the speed of everything is lightning quick. You need to be 100% sharp or you are gonna slip up

I'm not super worried . I really believe he is having some problems adapting to the speed of the game. The defenders , the ball, everything. He needs a nice TD to calm himself

Agreed - hands are hands. Bums me out to see Cooper Kupp doing well while this kid literally drops the ball though.

First ones that came to mind. Along with the pass against Denver that was caught by Holmes in the back of the end zone.

Ue9HlBv.gif

Another ball that you would like caught, but I wouldn't call it easy.

We're basically arguing semantics at this point. My point is I'm not going to be too concerned about a promising rookie, 5 games into his career, because of these drops.

He was excellent.

I think it just shows the huge jump from AAC to NFL. Your mind is constantly racing to remember all your nuances and the speed of everything is lightning quick. You need to be 100% sharp or you are gonna slip up

I'm not super worried . I really believe he is having some problems adapting to the speed of the game. The defenders , the ball, everything. He needs a nice TD to calm himself

Do not "super worry".......whatever you do.

He's just a second round pick and check out the Bills history with second round picks........not nearly as valuable an asset as you might think......lotta' busts......a few meh's..........and the few better ones usually only happen in years where they aren't reaching for need because they don't have a first round pick(Thurman, Cowart, Darby).

Point is NOBODY should "super worry".......if he's a bust, he's a bust........it is just a YET ANOTHER cautionary about trading up for or using early picks on lower ceiling "off the bus starters" to plug holes that should have been addressed in free agency..........for every Tre White there are many more that struggle and serve as weak links in your lineup.

Do not "super worry".......whatever you do.

He's just a second round pick and check out the Bills history with second round picks........not nearly as valuable an asset as you might think......lotta' busts......a few meh's..........and the few better ones usually only happen in years where they aren't reaching for need because they don't have a first round pick(Thurman, Cowart, Darby).

Point is NOBODY should "super worry".......if he's a bust, he's a bust........it is just a YET ANOTHER cautionary about trading up for or using early picks on lower ceiling "off the bus starters" to plug holes that should have been addressed in free agency..........for every Tre White there are many more that struggle and serve as weak links in your lineup.

Yea that's why I'm not worried. If he pans out great, if not it wouldn't be the first or the last time a WR couldn't adjust to the NFL. There are a lot of second round recievers who never amounted to much in the league

Yea that's why I'm not worried. If he pans out great, if not it wouldn't be the first or the last time a WR couldn't adjust to the NFL. There are a lot of second round recievers who never amounted to much in the league

Yep and the Bills have supplied their share.

It's amazing how often THAT position has been a priority to find an immediate starter at..........and how empty they've come up........even Bob Woods was a disappointment..........and yet they keep waiting until the draft to address starting WR needs.

You never get ahead drafting for need..........it's almost a given that you subsequently pass on better players in the process.......it's uncanny their success in the second round when they go into a draft KNOWING that they can't fill all their needs and just draft bpa in round 2.