I'm Surprised by Zay Jones' Slow Start

26CornerBlitz

No, the facts are the Bills put a lot of stock and belief in the fact that he could come right out and be a contributor. And he hasn't, at least yet.

Did they? I think the coaching staff would say they think everybody on the roster is supposed to contribute in some way. Did they say zay was supposed to come in and be the leading receiver right away? Is that why they traded for matthews? Can you give me a quote? A tweet? Anything? Seems like he's out there contributing exactly as much as a 2nd round rookie should be.

Now you're just being silly. No one is making you participate. Good night.

Ah I'm not allowed to participate in your thread because I disagree. Nite nite cupcake.

Did they? I think the coaching staff would say they think everybody on the roster is supposed to contribute in some way. Did they say zay was supposed to come in and be the leading receiver right away? Is that why they traded for matthews? Can you give me a quote? A tweet? Anything? Seems like he's out there contributing exactly as much as a 2nd round rookie should be.

They traded Sammy and made him the de facto starter without earning it. At the end of the first preseason game he was #4. Then he was 2.

I am a little bit, but typically rookie WR's find it hard to assimilate to the NFL unless they are playing with star QB's, and even then sometimes they don't make a huge impact...all these reps will help Zay out towards the end of he season and next year

Ah I'm not allowed to participate in your thread because I disagree. Nite nite cupcake.

I don't think the coaching staff envisioned their second round rookie WR contributing zero catches. I don't need a quote to prove that, just the facts of what the brass did. They allows Woods to leave in free agency, traded away a star #1, and acquired a good, possession receiver. I'd say it is pretty clear they would expect their number 2 receiver entering the season to contribute more than some good blocks and dropped balls.

They traded Sammy and made him the de facto starter without earning it. At the end of the first preseason game he was #4. Then he was 2.

Exactly.

But he's a rookie and you can't expect him to catch the ball when it's thrown to him. :cry:

Okay, now you're just asking for it!

I don't think the coaching staff envisioned their second round rookie WR contributing zero catches. I don't need a quote to prove that, just the facts of what the brass did. They allows Woods to leave in free agency, traded away a star #1, and acquired a good, possession receiver. I'd say it is pretty clear they would expect their number 2 receiver entering the season to contribute more than some good blocks and dropped balls.

Exactly.

:lol:

I agree i never said he earned anything. Thems the breaks of the depth chart though and to assume he's supposed to come out here and light it up because he caught ten tons of balls in college is stupid. LOTS of guys catch LOTS of balls in college and never even sniff the NFL. So it's a dumb nitpick after a huge win and I'm just a little tired of it.

Whew I guess neither of you understand hyperbole. I could care less about his college production or pedigree. Fact is he's a rookie, and the OP's original vomit was suggesting this guy should be coming out the gate lighting it up and he's (surprised) that hasn't happened? Wow.

So i countered with an equally ridiculous idea. You get it now? Class on tuesdays and fridays sir.

That wasn't the point. Catching slant routes in your hands as a second round draft pick is expected. Right away. That's not lighting it up.

Edited by cj192

Exactly.

No you don't have a quote because you're full of it. And he doesn't have zero catches. He had zero catches today. He has 3 so far and one big drop off a bad ball. Again no agrument I'll give the rookie the benefit of the doubt 3 games into his career in a not necessarily "pass friendly" offense.

No you don't have a quote because you're full of it. And he doesn't have zero catches. He had zero catches today. He has 3 so far and one big drop off a bad ball. Again no agrument I'll give the rookie the benefit of the doubt 3 games into his career in a not necessarily "pass friendly" offense.

Your acting like he is already deemed a bust and that he should be cut. Take a deep breath Mrs. Jones. Just pointing out that it's concerning that a small school guy, drafted in the second round, known for his hands, seems to have a case of the dropsies and looks out of his element thus far in his NFL career.

Rookie receivers usually have problems with routes and NFL concepts. They don't usually have problems catching football's.

The good thing about Zay though is this hasn't been his history. He's known for having great hands. Guys that drop a lot in college or as pros usually don't improve that much because it is a talent thing more than a freak or confidence thing. I think as soon as he goes two straight games with no drops this all goes away.

Your acting like he is already deemed a bust and that he should be cut. Take a deep breath Mrs. Jones. Just pointing out that it's concerning that a small school guy, drafted in the second round, known for his hands, seems to have a case of the dropsies and looks out of his element thus far in his NFL career.

Wait I'm acting like that? Read again. Slower. I am defending the guy. Again how many official drops does he have? I'll give you one from the end of the game last week even though it was a horribly thrown ball.

The good thing about Zay though is this hasn't been his history. He's known for having great hands. Guys that drop a lot in college or as pros usually don't improve that much because it is a talent thing more than a freak or confidence thing. I think as soon as he goes two straight games with no drops this all goes away.

Hopefully he'll just relax and play ball. They're going to need him this season.

He is getting open which is good. I think it is 100% mental. He is doing the rigjt things getting to the right spots he jiat needs to start making the plays. Once he does that he will be fine.

Exactly. Wasn't separation from the WRs one of the main things people were hemming and hawing about? He's getting it. But let's keep complaining.

Wait I'm acting like that? Read again. Slower. I am defending the guy. Again how many official drops does he have? I'll give you one from the end of the game last week even though it was a horribly thrown ball.

I don't know the exact number and don't keep a tally. He has underperformed expectations. He has more concerns than promise thus far. It is 3 games, which is all we have to evaluate. Hopefully he improves. Through 3 games, very unimpressive.

I agree OP, but he's really struggling out there just to get anything going. Moulds didn't break out until his 3rd year, so I will be patient. Also, I don't blame him much for thar near miss in Carolina. Tough break and he had 0 catches vs Denver. We will be seeing new faces in that WR corps next year. It is our weakest position group right now along with the OL.

I don't know the exact number and don't keep a tally. He has underperformed expectations. He has more concerns than promise thus far. It is 3 games, which is all we have to evaluate. Hopefully he improves. Through 3 games, very unimpressive.

Of course. So no numbers, just hasn't met "expectations." Whose expectations? Yours? Well my expectations for jones are equally as meaningless as yours, but he's meeting mine so far.

I love how after the drop vs. Carolina, I kept hearing "rookie mistake" and "he'll learn from this"...................Do you really have to learn "Catch the ball when it's in your hands and the game is on the line??"

It's learn the correct read and route to run so you don't have to make an acrobatic adjustment to get back to the ball. This plus not having to think as long about what route on the tree allows a receiver to focus more on his play and the development of the defender vs him vs openings on the field..etc.

This is why it takes many receivers a few years. They get by on physical talent in college, much like many QBs. It's why rookies aren't often "NFL ready."

I think this fundamental misunderstanding is why fans today are so impatient. Sure, some will buck the trend; usually speedsters because you don't have to learn that route. But great possession receivers almost all take time to develop (see Jerry Rice, Steve Largent, Andre Reed.)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I'm confident things will slow down for him and he'll be all we hoped for. It takes a little time, especially from a smaller school. It's not a talent deficiency, it's getting comfortable between the ears.

This is exactly what it is. If you check his stats in college there were production bumps each year. He comes off as well spoken and bright. Hell get there. I expect him to pick it up back half of this year and close to 1000 yards next year.

I'm not even really down on Zay. Hope he gets it together. These are things that can change a football game from a win to loss and vise versa though. One of the reasons we beat the Packers a few years ago is because of some drops. Tyrod played good and can play good but he isn't Brady. The team around him has to help.

Edited by Scott7975

he had that amazing catch in preseason and i remember thinking Man this kid is gonna be a great one for us.

he cost us a win already by cutting that route short in the Carolina game, basically a mental error according to Donald Jones. And now he has the yips and is on a streak of 3 drops in a row.

He's going to come out of it though. Right?

I expected him to get off to a much better start given his family's NFL background and his College production.

I understand your point (i think), but it is a rare thing for a Rookie WR to come in and make an immediate impact. It usually takes one year in the NFL, to stay healthy and have the same Offense at that, to really see the stride we want in terms of production. I'm not going to turn this into a Tyrod bashing thread, but Zay is open on a number of occasions and he's not getting thrown to....it's hard for a pass catcher to make just one or two catches a game, he's got to get 5-6 targets at least to give him some confidence and feel for the game / ball.

Where did I say he's done nothing? As usual you're not funny.

Zero yards. And a dropped touchdown for the second week in a row.....is pretty close to nothing wouldn't you say?

I'm sure he will be fine but if he is meeting your expectations then you had low expectations.

I love how after the drop vs. Carolina, I kept hearing "rookie mistake" and "he'll learn from this"...................Do you really have to learn "Catch the ball when it's in your hands and the game is on the line??"

ZJ's problem in Carolina wasn't making the catch, but route running and - even more important - ball awareness. Jones didn't know where the pass was until it was right on top of him. A bit sooner tracking the ball would have meant a small tweak to his route and an effortless catch. And that's something which will improve with experience. Remember : It wasn't that long ago ZJ was supposed to be an alternate third receiver, behind a clear number one (Watkins) and the seasoned veteran (Boldin). He wasn't supposed to carry so much responsibility so soon.

He had a HUGE DROP on Sunday's game in the END ZONE. He was lucky someone grabbed it. Jordan Matthews also dropped a 3rd down catch that would've been a 1st down. We can't have 2 #2 WRs who are going to grow reputations as dropping passes in key situations!