I'm Surprised by Zay Jones' Slow Start

26CornerBlitz

^billsfan89, I will be excited to see what new WRs and TEs we add with those 6 top 100 picks in the Spring. Another solid WR and if we can re-sign Matthews - that's a pretty good squad.

Agreed. I'm feeling a lot of WR need, but think TE is less of a need. Unless you consider cap space. How long are we tied to Clay?

So, a college player coming into the NFL might not grasp everything right off the bat............big deal.

Grasping the football is the biggest issue at "hand".

I thought it was targets that he lacks.

Twelve targets in three games isn't exactly being ignored.

Dealing with real NFL corners is a shock to the system of most rookie WR's... Factor in that Zay's college career didn't demand very precise route-running... Zay is finding his legs, and rhythm at the moment... No big deal.

Would be nice to see him contribute this week down in ATL.

Agreed. I'm feeling a lot of WR need, but think TE is less of a need. Unless you consider cap space. How long are we tied to Clay?

I think O Leary is good and getting better, I think we would really miss Clay in the passing game, hes our most targeted Reciever over the past 2 seasons. I hope we keep him on a restructured deal.

^billsfan89, I will be excited to see what new WRs and TEs we add with those 6 top 100 picks in the Spring. Another solid WR and if we can re-sign Matthews - that's a pretty good squad.

Agree. Looking to get Sammys replacement with one of those 6 picks.

Damn, Kirby, IDK.. Watkins/Woods/Goodwin believe it. Love TT, but he's not a pure passer.

Are we really still debating whether the Bills' awful situation at receiver has affected Taylor's play? That's absurd twice over : First, because it's both common sense and observed reality. Look around the league: Did you see how terrible Eli played when missing his top target? Did you see how Dalton's numbers dropped last season when he lost his weapons thru injury? Late in last Sunday's Pittsburgh game, there was one point when Roethlisberger had more targets to Antonio Brown than everybody else put together. Even the cliched argument "Tom Brady doesn't need receivers" doesn't hold up if you remember how mortal the #^$%^ looked in Game One, when scrapping the bench for people to throw to.

And, of course, there's the recourse to simple numbers :

• Taylor, in the 15 games that Sammy Watkins and Robert Woods played : 64% completion, 3,362 yards, +8 ypa, 26 touchdowns, 6 interceptions
  • Taylor, in the 14 games missing one of those players : 61.2% completion rate, 2,697 yards, +7 ypa, 11 touchdowns, 6 interceptions.

Last point : Given how terrible a "pure passer" Taylor is, it's pretty amazing what good numbers he put up, just given a legit Number One&Two receiver to throw to.

Edited by grb

Does it matter?

That is history and not the here and now.

The "here and now" is that the Bills are once again rearranging the deck chairs on the doomed ship the Bills have been for the past seventeen seasons. The Bills dismantled their entire wide receiving corps, possibly the best quality set of WR they had since 2002, during the off-season and then reassembled it from a collection of JAGs, ST refugees, and rookie.

Now, fans who built a fantasy about a promising rookie reprising Odell Beckham's rookie season are getting a bit nervous. They console themselves by dreaming of all the great players the Bills are going to draft with their six picks in the first 100 slots of the 2018, convinced that the Bills are going to come into TC next season with a shiny new rookie QB who's going to solve all their problems and lead the team to the Super Bowl in short order.

Good luck with that. I have no doubt that the Bills will have a shiny new rookie QB, but who knows how good he'll be. As the Bills themselves have proven in their fruitless Super Bowl trips a quarter century ago ... the third time isn't necessarily a charm ... nor even the fourth.

...I think if the kid does not at LEAST match his 2016 ECU numbers as an NFL rook, you label him as a "bust" and cut his sorry azz.....he's had PLENTY of time now to show up & put up IMO.............

Damn right he better catch 160 this season or else...

I'm confounded as to why he keeps leaving his feet. Just run through the damn ball...

Panic.

Anyone who has seen him play at ECU and at Senior Bowl practices and game last year would be shocked to see the passes he's dropping.........he was making one amazing reception after the next.