I'm Surprised by Zay Jones' Slow Start

26CornerBlitz

for his own good? He's killing us. Put an NFL caliber receiver on the field now. If you don't catch the ball you can't be on the field.

Yes, for his own good. His confidence is toast. Even his catch could have been overturned. Get Chuck Knoblauch in the house ASAP for a pep talk

I don't know if it's an option now depending on how long Matthews' injury keeps him out, but I'd bench Jones for now. He's hurting the team and he's not ready to start yet. Hopefully he gets better, but I don't think he should be on the field right now.

It's almost comical that Tyrod can't make a clean throw to Jones when he's wide open. Jones will be just fine.

I thought the long one he dropped was a fine throw.

Just as he did in the Carolina game, Jones for some reason chose to dive rather than stride through the catch. Huge mental mistakes that another poster attributed to 'panic.' Which seems pretty valid at this point...

I like Zay but he hasn't been good so far.

Didn't respond to my suggestion but okay. Yes he has not been impressive so far. I dont think he just flames out as some are suggesting though. WR is one of the hardest to transition from college to pro. We were all spoiled by the 2014 class but what has Doctson done? Davis? Williams has yet to play. There are many more i could point to. The 2014 WR was an aberration and history proves that

Here you go...https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MoulEr00.htm

Right now, I'd take EM's rookie performance over Zay's...and Eric only started five games that year.

Hmmm 20 catches for a 1st round pick you're okay with that. No one would be okay with that today. Granted, different era, whatever. What'd he do in his second year? Again, a FIRST round WR. Not a 2nd.

I guess Jones will be a better receiver than Moulds per all the experts on this site. Can't wait to see that day. Go Bills.

No one is saying that homie but way to put words in my mouth. All im saying is pump the breaks on the freakout. His pedigree, his college production isnt going to just disappear. And I am no expert, Im just not going to overreact on a 1st year WR struggling over the 1st quarter of the season. Again, y'all are spoiled by that 2014 class and have no long term memory

Hmmm 20 catches for a 1st round pick you're okay with that. No one would be okay with that today. Granted, different era, whatever. What'd he do in his second year? Again, a FIRST round WR. Not a 2nd.

No. 20 catches for this year's second round pick would be an upgrade from what we's seen so far. Emphasis on the 'so far'...

No. 20 catches for this year's second round pick would be an upgrade from what we's seen so far. Emphasis on the 'so far'...

Big emphasis on "so far" i agree. So let's let it play out. If at the end of his rookie season he has pathetic numbers talk about it then. Dont talk about it now. That's reactionary BS for fools on this board trying to find something to complain about a 3-1 team. Hit me up after the season and i will gladly eat my words but i still have all faith in zay.

The NFL is a lot faster than the games at East Carolina State. The wheels in his head are tuning too slowly, but that shold change as the season progresses.

A bit of diffence in level of competition: :doh:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/conferences/american/2016.html

BTW it was East Carolina University not State

BTW it was East Carolina University not State

They can't be bothered with little details while on a witch hunt.

And no S**t the competition is different. It's different for any WR coming from any college coming to the NFL. We ain't content to give the kid a HALF a season at this point though. Course these are the same mugs that never played, never coached, etc...

Honestly I am feeling pretty positive about Zay. I think he had a bit of a mental hurdle to get over. He is a rookie. Expectation are way too high nowadays since the 2014 we class. But look at one very positive thing. He finds himself open all the time and that is very positive thing.He missed some catches but they will come. A few were also not the greatest of throws.

If Matthews is out next week and beyond it's time for Jones to start doing something.

Can't rely on the defense to keep this up every week because even the greatest defense have bad games at some point.

"Beyond time"? Really? To do what? Replace matthews production? Because he's had some big plays (zay had one today too) but I havent seen jordan light it up since he's been here. And zay should be be ready to replace his production, one of those guys from that vaunted 2014 class, right away? Again okay. Stupid again. Not thought out but u go with it bud

From what I recall Moulds did OK, but nothing special the first couple of years. Then Flutie showed up and one thing I will give him credit for is he straightened out Moulds, more off the field type things, made him into a professional.

Here you go...https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MoulEr00.htm

Right now, I'd take EM's rookie performance over Zay's...and Eric only started five games that year.

From what I recall Moulds did OK, but nothing special the first couple of years. Then Flutie showed up and one thing I will give him credit for is he straightened out Moulds, more off the field type things, made him into a professional.

I believe you are correct.

They can't be bothered with little details while on a witch hunt.

And no S**t the competition is different. It's different for any WR coming from any college coming to the NFL. We ain't content to give the kid a HALF a season at this point though. Course these are the same mugs that never played, never coached, etc...

Lol. Welcome to TSW, Mrs. Jones.

NFL players all put on their big boy pants when they step on the field and can be criticized for less than stellar play, rookie or vet. I've seen enough to know when to criticize and when it is true growing pains and right now, Zay's play is a bit of both...

Not impressed with Z........he needs to sit some and get used to the big stage. Streeter, if healthy can be resigned after 6 games I understand. That needs to be the plan imho.

The right hand cast says that may not be a realistic option. Trial by fire.