Zay Jones drops huge catch. <radio edit>

r00tabaga

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread is a perfect example of why I rarely post (or read too much) of the board, anymore. And, yes I understand many couldn't care less and others are very happy I'm not around.

It was a sub-par pass, but it wasn't "horrible". It wasn't "uncatchable" but it would have been a terrific catch. I assume they drafted Zay to make terrific catches, from time-to-time. If Tyrod wants to stick around, he needs to have better placement on the ball. Both share some blame. Pass should have been better, and the pass should have been caught.

My guess is, after a play like this, both guys say "my bad" to each other on the sideline. Bottom line, the Bills don't have a very good offense, right now. You will know when that changes, when this kind of play gets completed---whatever it takes to get there.

not trying to show anything specific but another angle. the ol did well in protecting tyrod. he moved up in to the pocket very well. he did everything right but too much on the ball.

i never judge much on offense because we never know what was planned. but i would wager that jones was the hot read and this was to be to jones with mccoy as the dump/2nd read. this was all timing and likely a play we praccticed a lot and will see again, when you watched the opposite side of the line and what happened in the play it was a beauty.

I hope to see the play again. It was a good one. Its too bad it didn't connect. I wish they would run stuff like this earlier and not just under desperation. I thought the offensive gameplan today was pretty terrible. I don't care how bad everyone thinks the QB is they have to be more creative. They played right into Carolinas strength. Let Tyrod air it out. Worst thing that could happen is we lose the game. We lost the game.

If this is how they are going to play then they might as well put Peterman in. Tyrod is not going to get it done in this type of offense. It plays right to his weakness. Carolina is too fast to run up the middle and do quick 1 to 2 yard dump passes. They needed to fire a few downfield whether or not they would have worked. At least soften the defense up a little with the threat to throw downfield. Connecting on just one of them early on may have opened our run game a bit better.

This thread is a perfect example of why I rarely post (or read too much) of the board, anymore. And, yes I understand many couldn't care less and others are very happy I'm not around.

It was a sub-par pass, but it wasn't "horrible". It wasn't "uncatchable" but it would have been a terrific catch. I assume they drafted Zay to make terrific catches, from time-to-time. If Tyrod wants to stick around, he needs to have better placement on the ball. Both share some blame. Pass should have been better, and the pass should have been caught.

My guess is, after a play like this, both guys say "my bad" to each other on the sideline. Bottom line, the Bills don't have a very good offense, right now. You will know when that changes, when this kind of play gets completed---whatever it takes to get there.

I agree with all of this.

It's the correct answer.

giphy.gif

It was a bad throw. Some of you are so desperate for TT to be the answer that you will literally blame everyone else around him. He was bad today. Teams do not respect our passing game.

I'm a Tyrod supporter, but even I agree, that was a terrible throw. If Tyrod is only going to pull the trigger on a pass when the receiver is open, he has to at least be accurate with it. He wasn't on that play...anybody blaming Jones on that one doesn't know what the hell they are watching.

I'm a Tyrod supporter, but even I agree, that was a terrible throw. If Tyrod is only going to pull the trigger on a pass when the receiver is open, he has to at least be accurate with it. He wasn't on that play...anybody blaming Jones on that one doesn't know what the hell they are watching.

Then, please educate us as to what route was run and how Tyrod was errant with the throw.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

How can say that watching the replay? Jones stumbles before he looks for the ball. What if he was supposed to look in not out? Then it's a perfect pass. I'm not sure who was more at fault at all. But I don't think anyone can be definitive without knowing what the responsibilities of the WR were on the play.

...anybody blaming Jones on that one doesn't know what the hell they are watching.

Ummm, Zay Jones himself. And MANY others in the media and Twitter credited Taylor with putting it right in the spot between the under corner and the deep safety. There's only really a few that put it all on the QB, but it's the usual crowd.

Edited by r00tabaga

A well thrown ball Jones runs out of bounds......likely without the catch........ at the 3.

Not sure what made him turn that route to the sideline when he had nothing but green grass straight ahead.

Yeah, hard to say. The route looked sloppy and it may have been that taylor saw the td and threw for it. Jones actually slowed down for a moment near the end of it too. The throw certainly wasn't accurate enough (that was an extremely difficult catch to make) if that out pattern at the end was the route, though. Edited by dave mcbride

Ummm, Zay Jones himself. And MANY others in the media and Twitter credited Taylor with putting it right in the spot between the under corner and the deep safety. There's only really a few that put it all on the QB, but it's the usual crowd.

What I have learned is many people think QBs play like it's a game of Madden. Scan the whole field at once, find the "most open" receiver, throw a bullet pass to the receiver who is running along a rigid route line no matter what the coverage is. There is so much more to throwing and catching the ball than that. Tom Brady is a great QB before the ball is even snapped. It's impossible to look at a throw like this and blame Tyrod. It doesn't make any sense.

Edited by HappyDays

Just watching it now for the first time. Why would he ever cut to the sideline at the 3 with almost no time left? It doesn't make sense. That should have been a cut to the pylon.

Edited by dave mcbride

Zay is mostly at fault. He slowed and Tyrod already throw it anticipation where he was going top. If he went full speed and not look sloppy. Game of inches I call it.

Wait?!? Are you saying Tyrod made an anticipatory throw to a WR?

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Just watching it now for the first time. Why would he ever cut to the sideline at the 3 with almost no time left? It doesn't make sense. That should have been a cut to the pylon.

With no one near him. It doesn't make sense. There is 15 seconds left. His pattern is to go out at the four. Who calls that or does that. Even if it was supposed to be out he runs to the goal line not the sideline.

Agreed Dave. Critical mistake.

We were almost 2-0 coming home to play Denver!

Thank god the sane people have come out in the last couple pages (went out to dinner). Would liked it if he had ran that route more at the pylon and not stumbled, but he didn't. On to the next...

Also, Hi Dean! :beer:

You clearly have not watched the full play, just the part where the ball went off Zay hands. Anyone who watches that route and thinks ZJ didn't run a bad route is lying to themselves or has literally no idea what it looks like to run a route in the NFL. It was sloppy, and ball was right where ZJ should have been if not for a sloppy route where he didn't even realize the ball was coming until late. ZJ makes a clean cut, thats a walk in TD...but he screwed the pooch on the route forcing him to try and save the play and make a tough catch. I mean, Film doesn't lie and you can see it clear as day.

Thank god the sane people have come out in the last couple pages (went out to dinner). Would liked it if he had ran that route more at the pylon and not stumbled, but he didn't. On to the next...

Also, Hi Dean! :beer:

What's up, Heitz?

Tyrod, Zay, McDermott, Dennison, or any player on the team when asked on camera what happened on that play, they are not going to blame either TT or Zay. Some reporter, either local or national,will get an off the record answer, from someone who knows, who will ask not to be quoted, on whose fault that was in the next day or two. It's even possible that person will have an agenda but it's likely to be true.

I was shocked that he got so open. Maybe the route was altered somewhat to get that space? It made no sense to me. Regardless, if the ball had come out sooner and on target, he walks in for a win.

Is it too soon to ask how may draft spaces we moved up?

18-1!

You clearly have not watched the full play, just the part where the ball went off Zay hands. Anyone who watches that route and thinks ZJ didn't run a bad route is lying to themselves or has literally no idea what it looks like to run a route in the NFL. It was sloppy, and ball was right where ZJ should have been if not for a sloppy route where he didn't even realize the ball was coming until late. ZJ makes a clean cut, thats a walk in TD...but he screwed the pooch on the route forcing him to try and save the play and make a tough catch. I mean, Film doesn't lie and you can see it clear as day.

I agree with this. And it was one of Tyrod better throws of day IMO.

Edited by Buffalo Bills Fan

Not sure if this was posted here already, but here's what the Bills players had to say from the locker room about this play.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/What-theyre-saying-Bills-react-to-a-close-loss-in-Carolina/0010bf2c-d25d-4fb6-b2fc-a1e1d16bbbac

they all seem to think it was a mistake Zay made.

It's getting to the point where anyone who still thinks it was a bad throw is clueless. This is why I don't necessarily trust people who say they saw receivers running wide open downfield. 90% of posters who commented thought Tyrod made a bad throw, or that Zay had to make a "circus catch". But the talk from Bills players and coaches makes it clear Zay is to blame. Guarantee you won't see any of those posters in this thread again now that it's out there.

It's getting to the point where anyone who still thinks it was a bad throw is clueless. This is why I don't necessarily trust people who say they saw receivers running wide open downfield. 90% of posters who commented thought Tyrod made a bad throw, or that Zay had to make a "circus catch". But the talk from Bills players and coaches makes it clear Zay is to blame. Guarantee you won't see any of those posters in this thread again now that it's out there.

Agree with them the players and coaches

Not sure if this was posted here already, but here's what the Bills players had to say from the locker room about this play.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/What-theyre-saying-Bills-react-to-a-close-loss-in-Carolina/0010bf2c-d25d-4fb6-b2fc-a1e1d16bbbac

This post and link needs to be pinned. Everyone talks about Zay and consolingly him. Several different guys in several different ways. There is no way imo you can read that link and think TT made a bad pass. It's impossible.

Plus, Zay cried. I'm sure it was on him, but there was so much more to this game than the one play. It does come down to that one play a lot, though. I have faith in Zay, sheet happens.

*I do wonder what all the "football experts" on here, who claimed those who thought it was on Zay knew nothing about football and should be ashamed, have to say about this...

Edited by Paulus

This post and link needs to be pinned. Everyone talks about Zay and consolingly him. Several different guys in several different ways. There is no way imo you can read that link and think TT made a bad pass. It's impossible.

Sure there is, they are consoling him because he didn't make a great catch to win the game. They are probably consoling Tyrod as well on his poorly thrown ball. I'm sure Zay feels like he should have made the catch and feels bad about it. He's a rook. It's great they are rallying behind him.

I don't think it was poorly thrown or dropped. It was an anticipation throw, very close to an amazing toss. Zay made a strong effort, but just couldn't haul it in. Game of inches. Why does it have to be somebody "blew it" and they suck? Not what I saw there. QB trying to make a play, WR trying to make a play, just couldn't get it done. Stuff happens, get over it.

I don't think he stumbled on the route as much as he just wasn't in control throughout it. No doubt the nerves/adrenaline from the situation affected him. He'll learn from it

Edited by stevewin