Zay Jones drops huge catch. <radio edit>

r00tabaga

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's up, Heitz?

Just exploring the effect of Martinis on tough losses. So far, they seem to be working!

Not sure if this was posted here already, but here's what the Bills players had to say from the locker room about this play.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/What-theyre-saying-Bills-react-to-a-close-loss-in-Carolina/0010bf2c-d25d-4fb6-b2fc-a1e1d16bbbac

they all seem to think it was a mistake Zay made.

What the hell do they know!? Are ANY of them even registered members of TBD?

Tough loss today, no matter how ugly it would have been...

It's getting to the point where anyone who still thinks it was a bad throw is clueless. This is why I don't necessarily trust people who say they saw receivers running wide open downfield. 90% of posters who commented thought Tyrod made a bad throw, or that Zay had to make a "circus catch". But the talk from Bills players and coaches makes it clear Zay is to blame. Guarantee you won't see any of those posters in this thread again now that it's out there.

Real time it looked like a bad throw. At this point, trying to figure out exactly who to put the blame on is a useless exercise. Let's say both Zay and TT are equally to blame. Or we can say sometimes things happen and leave it at that. At the end of the day, it was still a dog crap performance by the offense today.

Edited by Bangarang

Rookie who finished his route poorly.

Nerves.

Taylor released that ball before Jones made his fateful and ill-conceived turn to the sidelines.

Jones caught that pass regularly in college and at Senior Bowl........he had the yips on front of the home folks today.

He will catch them in the future..........but Jauron Ball leaves you no room for error and it shouldn't surprise anyone that a rookie had a couple uncharacteristic errors in a game like this..........that's why the roster is so old..........can't afford youthful yips/mistakes in Jauron Ball.

Yea he does stumble and lose his stride,that split second probably wins us an ugly game.

Overall I was just disappointed in the O , questionable play calling mainly.

I trust Taylor,Shady and Dennison bounce back versus a tough defense. Learn from this poor performance. This is similar to last year where we had a terrible week 2 and beat up on Arizona in week 3 at home

Yea he does stumble and lose his stride,that split second probably wins us an ugly game.

Overall I was just disappointed in the O , questionable play calling mainly.

I trust Taylor,Shady and Dennison bounce back versus a tough defense. Learn from this poor performance. This is similar to last year where we had a terrible week 2 and beat up on Arizona in week 3 at home

Yes, but did you see what Denver did to Dallas today? The bounce back might have to wait a week or so.

I can't believe everyone missed out on one fact while watching that video. If Jones made the diving catch, he might have been down at the one yard line. A defender was quickly approaching while Jones was going to fall to the ground short of the goal line.

Bills had a time out left.

He had to lay out for it. Wasn't a good throw at all. It was overthrown, and to his left.

Except you miss the part where he had to lay out for it because he made a sloppy cut on his route (while ball was in the air) and didn't even track the pass until too late forcing him to make a late diving attempt to save the play. TT put the ball to where ZJ would have and should have been had he ran a crisp route and not got himself sloppy and off balance on the cut. And he wasn't touched, self inflicted stumble.

Except you miss the part where he had to lay out for it because he made a sloppy cut on his route (while ball was in the air) and didn't even track the pass until too late forcing him to make a late diving attempt to save the play. TT put the ball to where ZJ would have and should have been had he ran a crisp route and not got himself sloppy and off balance on the cut. And he wasn't touched, self inflicted stumble.

How do people not see the unforced error of the stumble? He hasn't even looked for the ball at that point. He doesn't even know it's in the air.

How do people not see the unforced error of the stumble? He hasn't even looked for the ball at that point. He doesn't even know it's in the air.

If Peterman is in, there's no way Zay stumbles on his route. It's crisply run and he makes the TD catch for the win. The magical backup QB always wins.

This post and link needs to be pinned. Everyone talks about Zay and consolingly him. Several different guys in several different ways. There is no way imo you can read that link and think TT made a bad pass. It's impossible.

100%. It was a bad route, to include stumbling a bit, and likely looking for the ball over the wrong shoulder. The young man gave a ton of effort though and thats one thing that he should hold his head up high.

I am not pro-TT, but that's the receiver's fault. Yeah, Zay made a decent correction to at least be able to possibly haul it it in. That bodes well in my book for better things in Zay's future.

TT was clealy throwing to a spot. The ball was in the air before Zay broke. I am gonna give the benny of doubt that the spot TT was throwing to was correct. It's a timing play.

Why are people bellyaching? So what. We took it to one of the better teams in the league and kept them out of endzone.

Not sure if this was posted here already, but here's what the Bills players had to say from the locker room about this play.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/What-theyre-saying-Bills-react-to-a-close-loss-in-Carolina/0010bf2c-d25d-4fb6-b2fc-a1e1d16bbbac

they all seem to think it was a mistake Zay made.

It surely does.

Many times games do come down to that. Someone needs to step up and make a play. No one did.

This is so true. It had been the Hallmark of the drought. Losing close winnable games because non one steps up. SJ vs Pitt. 10 men on the field when we need a stop. Missed FGs. Tuel Time vs Cheaps. On and on and on.

I was hoping this culture and process thing might fix it. So far, looks like more of the same.

Somebody needs to step up in games like this, but no one did.

This is so true. It had been the Hallmark of the drought. Losing close winnable games because non one steps up. SJ vs Pitt. 10 men on the field when we need a stop. Missed FGs. Tuel Time vs Cheaps. On and on and on.

I was hoping this culture and process thing might fix it. So far, looks like more of the same.

It's a young team and there's going to be some growing pains.

Patience, my friend.

He almost did, amazingly got hands on ball. Like the poster above me said. Growing pains.

I know this is early, and bash me if you want, but does anyone else worry that Jones will become the next Josh Reed? For a second round pick, I don't see him as a number one WR or an explosive slot guy. I just haven't seen anything that looks like playmaking potential in this guy. I'm not judging this based on results of only two games. I'm judging this based on the skill set that I see.

I know this is early, and bash me if you want, but does anyone else worry that Jones will become the next Josh Reed? For a second round pick, I don't see him as a number one WR or an explosive slot guy. I just haven't seen anything that looks like playmaking potential in this guy. I'm not judging this based on results of only two games. I'm judging this based on the skill set that I see.

What i see is, mediocre WR's and a mediocre QB throwing them the ball.

I think he's more talented and a better athlete than Josh Reed, but yeah...I'm not sold that he will become a great player.

What i see is, mediocre WR's and a mediocre QB throwing them the ball.

I agree, but when you draft a second round WR you hope for better than mediocre. There is no way that you can judge Jones two games into his career. That is not what I'm doing. I just don't see a skill set in Jones that gives him the potential to reach as high of a ceiling as you'd hope a second round WR could reach.

If Peterman is in, there's no way Zay stumbles on his route. It's crisply run and he makes the TD catch for the win. The magical backup QB always wins.

That's not true. If Peterman was in we would have completed about 20 passes that didn't exist and our offense would have worked in a rhythm and made about 30 first downs in a row even though he never did three in a row in preseason and he would have led us to a 28-9 lead so we never would have needed the last drive.

That does not worry me at all. Two very different types of WR's in my mind. Zay's college production is ridiculous, regardless of mediocre competition. I'm a believer over the long haul and with the right cast. Unfortunate ending today, however.

That does not worry me at all. Two very different types of WR's in my mind. Zay's college production is ridiculous, regardless of mediocre competition. I'm a believer over the long haul and with the right cast. Unfortunate ending today, however.

Yeah, I don't want to judge him based on two games. I simply was not familiar with him. Although I watch college football, I never saw him play at East Carolina. Now that I've gotten to see him on the field, I've been able to reach initial opinions about him. I'm not sure that I see a guy with the skill set that dominant NFL receivers have.

That's not true. If Peterman was in we would have completed about 20 passes that didn't exist and our offense would have worked in a rhythm and made about 30 first downs in a row even though he never did three in a row in preseason and he would have led us to a 28-9 lead so we never would have needed the last drive.

What was I thinking about. Of course that would have happened because he's a fit for the offense against one of the toughest front sevens in the league despite no running game and WRs who couldn't consistently create separation.

Yeah, I don't want to judge him based on two games. I simply was not familiar with him. Although I watch college football, I never saw him play at East Carolina. Now that I've gotten to see him on the field, I've been able to reach initial opinions about him. I'm not sure that I see a guy with the skill set that dominant NFL receivers have.

He's a very technical route runner with decent speed and very good hands. I'm not saying Jerry Rice, but.... He had a career's worth of production - as a senior. I'll give him more than 2 games with a marginal passer and an OLine that can't pass protect before judging.

Real time it looked like a bad throw.

Not to me. It looked like a ball that hit the receiver in the hands and fell to the ground. After watching the replay way too many times, and seeing what the Bills players/coaches said, it is just more obvious now that Zay had a bad play.

I don't know what Bills fans want from Tyrod. If they want him to be Tom Brady, of course that isn't happening. If they want him to be Russell Wilson, I think he could do that. Wilson's offenses don't always score. Especially the past couple seasons they have struggled. But you can trust him to hold down the fort in a game. The Seahawks have had a TON of games like ours today that they end up winning. Their offense does next to nothing for 50 straight minutes, elite defense keeps things close, then they score in the final minute and win something like 10-3. I don't expect our brand new offense to execute that situation as well as the Seahawks do, with a rookie WR as our #2, a WR who has had barely any practice with our offense as our #1, and a new offensive scheme/coach.

I watched a lot of football today. In every game you see QBs overthrowing wide open receivers a couple times. I'm not talking about open like Zay was, I mean WIDE open. Passes sailing over the head of certain 1st downs. I wonder how many Bills fans see these things. I watched Matt Ryan today throw a deep incompletion to Taylor Gabriel, and the broadcast replay showed Julio Jones crossing over the middle wide open as the ball is coming out. That single play if it was Tyrod would be a whole thread on this board. I wonder if Bills fans know how common this is? I certainly don't because no one tracks it. But a number of people here talk like they know exactly how many wide open receivers Tyrod is missing, and they know that it's worse than the league average.

Then on this play Tyrod does what everyone wants - throws a nice anticipatory throw on a 4th down for the game. The thing about anticipatory throws is they're going to lead to more incompletions. If the receiver has a different read on the coverage it will almost certainly be incomplete, or even a pick. Do people realize this when they ask for Tyrod to do that more? Last week Tyrod tries giving Clay a chance at the ball and Clay fails completely. What should have been an incompletion at worst turns into a red zone pick. But what do people here say, "I don't care if there's more picks as long as Tyrod gives his receivers a chance!" Until that exact scenario happens and suddenly it was a mistake of a throw.

So I really don't know what Bills fans want. Well, wins. We all want wins.

Edited by HappyDays

He's a very technical route runner with decent speed and very good hands. I'm not saying Jerry Rice, but.... He had a career's worth of production - as a senior. I'll give him more than 2 games with a marginal passer and an OLine that can't pass protect before judging.

I understand, and as I've said it's not a judgment based on two games. I just wonder if he is best suited as a slot reciever rather than an outside reciever. The knock on him coming out of college was his inability to get separation from good DB's, lack of big play ability, and being more of number two WR than a number one. I worry that McD wants him to be something that he isn't. I could see him lighting it up as a slot receiver for a good team. I'm not certain that throwing him on the outside as a rookie with his skill set is the best thing for his young career.