Zay Jones drops huge catch. <radio edit>

r00tabaga

The way I'm starting to look at this is that it was good that TT had trust in a rookie WR to make that play in that situation. He had that much faith in Zay. I like that. The flip side is, damn, a great deal of pressure is being placed on a rookie to make clutch potential game winning plays.

Like Orton did with Sammy in his rookie year against DET with a clutch catch to set up the game winning FG and MIN for the game winning TD. You're in the big leagues now so run the route correctly and make the FN play!

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i agree with Gannon, the veteran qb wearing the superbowl ring. Tyrod missed that one.

in fairness to Tyrod, its not like he gets many chances to throw vertically anymore with this popgun Hackett style system. Dennison seems pretty uninventive to me.

Gannon is pretty bad. I actually didn't mind him as a player but I hate when he gets our games, which is often cuz we suck.

Like Orton did with Sammy in his rookie year against DET with a clutch catch to set up the game winning FG and MIN for the game winning TD. You're in the big leagues now so run the route correctly and make the FN play!

Let's not forget Sammy letting the one off his hands in Rex's first game against the Pats to end the game. Both poorly thrown balls by Tyrod, both tough catches, neither comes down with the ball. Common denominator is a poor throw by the same QB

I'm assuming you think you know more than Gannon about the QB position.

Zinger!

Romo has done in two weeks what Gannon has never done. He was a professional football player but he doesn't translate well to the booth. He actually said "penalties are killing the Bills today"....we had TWO

Edited by r00tabaga

This is a good topic to see who is too stubborn to change their mind. There is no argument to be made that Tyrod threw an inaccurate ball. If you still believe that, you just want it to be true. You can't be getting that opinion from the tape or the players comments after the game.

This is a good topic to see who is too stubborn to change their mind. There is no argument to be made that Tyrod threw an inaccurate ball. If you still believe that, you just want it to be true. You can't be getting that opinion from the tape or the players comments after the game.

I think everyone knows but they are just trying to bait me. Like fishing with dynamite, very easy to do.

I will bump your post when we get to 250 pages. 😅

This case is now closed.

Edited by r00tabaga

Zinger!

"Gannon doesn't back my opinion so that means he's pretty bad" - r00tabaga

Some people can argue whether it was Tyrod's fault or Zay's fault. Regardless, we scored 3 points on offense and our passing offense was as bad as bad can be.

When your defense doesn't allow a TD and holds the opponent to 9 points, it shouldn't come down to a 4th down play with a controversial who's fault ending.

Let's not forget Sammy letting the one off his hands in Rex's first game against the Pats to end the game. Both poorly thrown balls by Tyrod, both tough catches, neither comes down with the ball. Common denominator is a poor throw by the same QB

Yet strangely, every week, WR on other teams handle poorly thrown balls.

Some people can argue whether it was Tyrod's fault or Zay's fault. Regardless, we scored 3 points on offense and our passing offense was as bad as bad can be.

When your defense doesn't allow a TD and holds the opponent to 9 points, it shouldn't come down to a 4th down play with a controversial who's fault ending.

This is the bottom line. Tyrod throws that ball and Zay Jones catches it, that would be lipstick on 58 minutes of Pig.

Plain and simple, our offense was offensive.

Any time the D limits the other team's O to less than 14 points, even more less than 10, it's on the offense if they don't pull the win.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

That's maybe for another thread then. Nobody here at least has said they didn't absloutely suck first half.

Yet strangely, every week, WR on other teams handle poorly thrown balls.

This is the bottom line. Tyrod throws that ball and Zay Jones catches it, that would be lipstick on 58 minutes of Pig.

Any time the D limits the other team's O to less than 14 points, even more less than 10, it's on the offense if they don't pull the win.

I love your opinion. Funny, others are gonna hate it. Being a Bills fan really sucks sometimes.

Tbrow was plain awful- not where it was supposed to be. After Zay adjusts to a piss poor pass he is out of position to have a chance and he still got his fingers on it- Zay absolutely did his best this all falls on TT and his continue accuracy problems that will end his career here.

The tape doesn't prove a thing, and nobody is going to blame the leader of the offense in TT.

Call it what you want, but you are just as stubborn as any poster here.

Given the offense was a complete disaster all day, obsessing on this one play seems kinda futile, but I guess we must. So :

(1) A lot of people here fall into two camps : The "if the receiver gets two hands on the ball it should be a catch" folk, or the "Jones had to jump so it was a bad throw" folk. Both views aren't fair to the players involved and way too simplistic.

(2) On the other hand, a lot of people here get very sophisticated with analysis of routes and safety / cornerback coverage. The problem there is what we don't know. I can assume it was a pylon throw bumped slightly to the left to lead away from the cornerback, but that's just speculation.

(3) But here's what I see : Jones looks back for the ball over his right shoulder. At this point all he needs to do is continue two strides, look over his left shoulder, and the ball drops into his hands as he crosses the goal line. Instead he takes one stumbling stride, plants & leaps straight up. It was an extremely awkward play on the ball. That seems to me the most relevant point.

And yet we almost won. What is your argument.

You specifically made the point "at least in the first half" like you're insinuating they weren't as bad in the second half.

We almost won? When you hold a team to 9 points, you shouldn't "almost won".

What is your argument? Zay Jones cost us the game and the 59 minutes and 46 seconds would have been irrelevant?

You specifically made the point "at least in the first half" like you're insinuating they weren't as bad in the second half.

We almost won? When you hold a team to 9 points, you shouldn't "almost won".

What is your argument? Zay Jones cost us the game and the 59 minutes and 46 seconds would have been irrelevant?

Yes!

Says who? You? I trust my eyes, the experts and Zay Jones' own words but carry on.

Everyone gets a pass if you win. That's all I'm concerned with. If my defense gets gashed for 1,000 yards but makes the game-winning goal line stand...yes, they get a pass. Tyrod did enough on the last drive to earn us a victory. Unfortunately, we lost (or fortunately for some "fans") so let's move on.

I was in that corner of the end zone. Had a front row, first hand look at it. It was a bad throw Edited by BillsFan17

I guess you don't believe in 60 minutes of football.

Carry on.

You should stay clear. If Jones makes that catch, Taylor's performance prior to that throw wouldn't have mattered.

Yes it would have! You can't have that type of performance and expect to be a consistent contending team.

Carry on.

You should stay clear. If Jones makes that catch, Taylor's performance prior to that throw wouldn't have mattered.

tyrod was gross. there's no way to look beyond that.

it would have been an amazing catch, and he definitely had hands on it. on that note, it just was a lousy ball. it would have been a circus catch.

blaming the pass over poor route is not valid once it hits his hand.

The route was wrong and was very important. He was the hot read on the timing route. A play designed specifically for this I would bet the farm; one practiced often. Amazing play.

Zay messed up. Tyrod could have adjusted. But it hit zays hands

Carry on.

Madden generation. Only care about stats. Anyone over 35 like me, want wins and has been waiting for playoffs for far too long.

Almost doesn't count inf football.

We almost won a superbowl too. What your argument?

Look at you picking fights. Challenge noted.

Edited by r00tabaga

Madden generation. Only care about stats. Anyone over 35 like me, want wins and has been waiting for playoffs for far too long.

Look at you picking fights. Challenge noted.

I'm 35 and I haven't played Madden since I was 21. I also don't play fantasy football.

You want wins? Let me know how many games are won with our offensive performance yesterday.

You know what wins games....good 60 minutes of football but you don't believe in that. Complete football games aren't much to you.

Edited by Royale with Cheese

I haven't read through this whole thread, only the first several pages, but even though that one play was crucial, it certainly shouldn't be our focal point. But one thing I didn't mention earlier was the idea that perhaps Zay was heading towards the sideline in order to stop the clock after the reception. Who, why, and how on that one play could be speculated to death, but there will never be a clear cut answer, unless the coaches give us one.

The real issue is what put the Bills in that position in the first place.

Taylor played rather poorly up until the last several minutes of the game, no question about it. But the offense as a whole was pathetic. The first half was one of the worst 30 minutes of offense that I can remember watching. The play calling was horrendous, our run game was non existent for much of the game, especially in the first half. The passing attack was a non factor. The Bills were still trying to get past page one of their scripted stuff in the second quarter...and even though nothing was working, they were too stubborn to change their approach.

On defense, the Panthers had converted their first 3 3rd downs, and were 4/5 on 3rd down after that (I stopped keeping track at that point). The holes in our zone D were huge, and they knew exactly how to attack this defense. Run D was sharp all game, and the Panthers knew it would be going in. But the D kept the Bills in it, and could have had 3 INTs, two of which probably should have been INTs. They were also aided by untimely Panthers penalties that took them out of FG range, keeping the score closer. The pass rush really came alive in the 2nd half.

But in the end, the Bills were in pretty good position, all things considered. They had TOs, but did not use them correctly. I was screaming for a TO, but the Bills instead let the clock bleed, only to call TO as the play clock neared zero, wasting about 30 crucial seconds of clock.

Bottom line, this loss doesn't fall squarely on the players' shoulders. Play calling was terrible, and game management in certain situations was even worse.

The Bills had no business winning yesterday, and they were lucky to be in a position for Zay to win it in the end. Whether it was on Zay or Taylor is not what we should be focused on.

Wow, so much commentary. Read through some, but not all so please forgive if this was covered. This is what I saw from the clip:

Zay did a nice job with the inside fake but got too worried about the inside safety and broke off his pattern to the flag instead of continuing an outside shoulder fade to back corner of EZ like he should have run.

His slowing and slight stumble was him thinking too much IMO.

TT didn't make the best throw but we don't know if he was trying to adjust it at the last split second. Even so, if Zay was running the fade he's in a far better position and makes that grab.

It's a shame TT couldn't last-second adjust his throw more to get him the ball but when has he ever been able to?

This one's on Zay, with an acknowledgement of TT's limitations as a QB.