Tyrod Taylor 2.0?

JerseyBills

I'll keep this short, Taylor showed huge improvements in his game and it was evident from the first series. Specifically in the pocket.

His footwork, poise and speed scanning the field looks to have improved drastically. A huge drop by Clay turned 7 into 0 and some very smart throwaways decreased his completion percentage but we totally dominated and controlled this game. He converted some big 3rd downs, and used his legs very effectively.

Make no mistake, this offense runs through Shady but I think we are witnessing the evolution of Tyrod Taylor. I really felt Dennison held back big time in the 4th and just sat on the lead, up 2 scores, dominant defensive performance, that's fine but I'm really excited to see Taylor grow in this scheme and get comfortable with the WR corps.

This was a true team win, well , maybe minus ST, but for the first time in quite some time the O and D both showed up, 400+ yards on O , just over 200 allowed. Taylor's stats weren't eye popping but he did what needed to be done and looked vastly improved in the pocket. I'm really excited to see us match up with Carolina, I don't see any reason we can't have the same outcome.

Tyrod 2.0 is here

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that we saw Taylor do a lot of good he's been crucified for in the past: maybe his best game so far passing over the middle, multiple plays where you could see him going through multiple reads, and better than 50% in 3rd down conversions.

But I'll wait 3 or 4 more games to decide whether he's actually better.

What's obvious and clear and contradicts so many of the loudest most "knowledgeable" posters here from the preseason: Taylor can run this offense just fine as the offense we saw in preseason wasn't the offense we're seeing in the regular season.

I thought it was the same Tyrod we have seen through two years to be honest. There were a few more plays over the middle, that is true. But there was the usual mix of some really nice throws, a few bad throws, some excellent escapes with his legs and a handful of situations where he left plays on the field with guys he just didn't appear to see. I will have to watch the all22 when it is available. He was solid he had a decent game but I did not see a big step forward.

The most encouraging thing is that Dennison ran an offense that played much more to his Tyrod's strengths than we saw in pre-season the three step drop and throw plays have pretty much gone.

I thought it was the same Tyrod we have seen through two years to be honest. There were a few more plays over the middle, that is true. But there was the usual mix of some really nice throws, a few bad throws, some excellent escapes with his legs and a handful of situations where he left plays on the field with guys he just didn't appear to see. I will have to watch the all22 when it is available. He was solid he had a decent game but I did not see a big step forward.

The most encouraging thing is that Dennison ran an offense that played much more to his Tyrod's strengths than we saw in pre-season the three step drop and throw plays have pretty much gone.

I tend to agree with all of what you said. Not exceptional yet not bad. Lets hope he grows.

I'll keep this short, Taylor showed huge improvements in his game and it was evident from the first series. Specifically in the pocket.

His footwork, poise and speed scanning the field looks to have improved drastically. A huge drop by Clay turned 7 into 0 and some very smart throwaways decreased his completion percentage but we totally dominated and controlled this game. He converted some big 3rd downs, and used his legs very effectively.

Make no mistake, this offense runs through Shady but I think we are witnessing the evolution of Tyrod Taylor. I really felt Dennison held back big time in the 4th and just sat on the lead, up 2 scores, dominant defensive performance, that's fine but I'm really excited to see Taylor grow in this scheme and get comfortable with the WR corps.

This was a true team win, well , maybe minus ST, but for the first time in quite some time the O and D both showed up, 400+ yards on O , just over 200 allowed. Taylor's stats weren't eye popping but he did what needed to be done and looked vastly improved in the pocket. I'm really excited to see us match up with Carolina, I don't see any reason we can't have the same outcome.

Tyrod 2.0 is here

I'm sorry, but this is quite delusional.

I didn't see drastic improvement or poise. I saw more easy and simple throws under little to no pressure.

This is the stuff I'm talking about. Posters claim they know what TT is and that they don't say he's great, but one decent performance against a bad team and they are claiming him as such.

What you saw was nothing special. It's gonna take much more than that over the course of multiple games before I make such proclamations about TT making drastic improvement.

WHat you write above could describe almost most of the QBs in the league!

Same guy that will likely lead another top 12 scoring offense. When does he get credit?

WHat you write above could describe almost most of the QBs in the league!

Never seen any QB's "missed reads" dissected so much as I have with Tyrod. I never hear announcers during a game bring this up with any QB. No one knows the play call or progressions so I don't know how anyone could say where the ball should have been thrown. But that narrative is already built for Tyrod so expect to see it pop up a lot this year.

Same guy that will likely lead another top 12 scoring offense. When does he get credit?

He simply won't. No matter what. I rewatched the game. Many throws that were dropped and others that were smart throwaways. He even slid on a run! He was efficient and if Clay didn't drop that pass it would of been 3-0 td/int.

Edited by r00tabaga

Never seen any QB's "missed reads" dissected so much as I have with Tyrod. I never hear announcers during a game bring this up with any QB. No one knows the play call or progressions so I don't know how anyone could say where the ball should have been thrown. But that narrative is already built for Tyrod so expect to see it pop up a lot this year.

I never heard receivers blamed so much for dropped passes as I hear with TT, so it evens out.

I never heard receivers blamed so much for dropped passes as I hear with TT, so it evens out.

That's because you don't actually pay attention to other teams Crusher, only insofar as you can use them to vaguely criticize Tyrod. Receivers get dinged for dropped passes all the time. A lot of people who think Wentz will be good used that excuse for him last year. And it was valid! He still made plenty of mistakes but his receivers dropped the football too many times. Are you even aware of that? I doubt it. Edited by HappyDays

Here comes the Cult.... any time anyone says anything that isn't praise be to Tyrod they attack.

Tyrod gets credit for yesterday, he played well. He gets credit for the last two years when he also played reasonably well. All I said was I didn't see a big step forward yesterday. It is the same Tyrod. If they put a defense behind him that will mean 10 wins, if they don't it means 7 or 8 wins.

I didn't see drastic improvement or poise. I saw more easy and simple throws under little to no pressure.

This is the stuff I'm talking about. Posters claim they know what TT is and that they don't say he's great, but one decent performance against a bad team and they are claiming him as such.

What you saw was nothing special. It's gonna take much more than that over the course of multiple games before I make such proclamations about TT making drastic improvement.

front line gave him time ,keep the pressure off.

Everyone bitched he could not throw over the middle and he did.

Edited by mead107

Here comes the Cult.... any time anyone says anything that isn't praise be to Tyrod they attack.

Tyrod gets credit for yesterday, he played well. He gets credit for the last two years when he also played reasonably well. All I said was I didn't see a big step forward yesterday. It is the same Tyrod. If they put a defense behind him that will mean 10 wins, if they don't it means 7 or 8 wins.

This. He looked the exact same.

When the running game works, you don't notice him. When it doesn't, he sticks out like a sore thumb.

ClassicTyrod.

Yes here comes the cult, into an open thread on an open message board, to discuss the most important position in all of sports. Do you usually make comments and not expect people to respond to them?

Yes here comes the cult, into an open thread on an open message board, to discuss the most important position in all of sports. Do you usually make comments and not expect people to respond to them?

I don't mind people responding. It is all the "when does he get credit?" questions who wilfully misinterpret my original response as being critical. It wasn't. The OP actually called Tyrod's performance "amazing" in the game day thread. There is something in between "amazing" and "sucks" and yet when you articulate that you are treated like a traitor.

Ha ha ha, read what you just wrote, "I never heard receivers blamed so much for dropped passes." Ridiculous

I know what I said.

Posters here harp over every drop and always blame the receiver...even when it's late, behind, or just off target.

And I think we all know why that is, don't we?

He used the middle of the field more, which was good to see. Got the ball out quicker, which is good. Used the TE more, which is good. Used his mobility to make plays, which is good. Missed some throws, which isn't good.

I know it isn't going to happen, but these Taylor threads should be stopped at some point. He did some things yesterday that he's been criticized for, like using the TE more and going over the middle more. Yet that is not recognized by some.

He is what he is, a very athletic, mobile QB that has some deficiencies in his game. Criticizing him for what he is, is kind of dumb after a while. Brady doesn't get criticized because he can't make plays with his legs. That's a big part of TTs game so why say that's wrong? Use that skill, and keep working on other parts.

I know what I said.

Posters here harp over every drop and always blame the receiver...even when it's late, behind, or just off target.

And I think we all know why that is, don't we?

The overwhelming majority of dropped passes are the receivers fault. Thats why they chart the stat as a receiver stat. http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/stats?season=2016&week=100&category=RECEIVING&opp=0&sort=11&qualified=1&sortOrder=0

Wow. Guy played good and we can't just be happy. I feel like the minority here. I'm the loser for liking OUR starting QB.

There is a crispness to the pace of the offense as well and nobody is mentioning this. I liked what I saw. Tyrod had almost 300 yds combined and was 2/1 and really SHOULD have been 3/0.

Edited by r00tabaga

He used the middle of the field more, which was good to see. Got the ball out quicker, which is good. Used the TE more, which is good. Used his mobility to make plays, which is good. Missed some throws, which isn't good.

I know it isn't going to happen, but these Taylor threads should be stopped at some point. He did some things yesterday that he's been criticized for, like using the TE more and going over the middle more. Yet that is not recognized by some.

He is what he is, a very athletic, mobile QB that has some deficiencies in his game. Criticizing him for what he is, is kind of dumb after a while. Brady doesn't get criticized because he can't make plays with his legs. That's a big part of TTs game so why say that's wrong? Use that skill, and keep working on other parts.

I didn't criticize him at all after this game. I said usual TT, and posters got mad.

Anyways...I agree with the overall premise of your post. He is what he is, and I'm glad he utilizes the skills he does have.

While he has made some strives which is good we still see the assets that make him dynamic which is perfect. A lot of players think they are being forced to change their entire game and become something their not. Tyrod still scrambled but had a lot less aimless scrambling and he kept his eyes downfield. Tyrod wouldnt have made the pass to McCoy dowm the middle last year. He was able to keep eyes down field and makr an accurate throw on the move. Those are the type of plays we wanted to see out of him.

I'M SHOCKED!!! YOU didn't see ANY drastic improvements? Not one single aspect?! NONE!?!?

Nobody's anointing him anything, just acknowledging the fact he did some things we haven't seen in the past and had a solid game overall. You're the one ready to jump off the cliff because he didn't absolutely suck out there hence the general condemnation of his game yesterday by you.

God help you if he comes out next week and puts in another solid performance. I'll head over to the Falls expecting to see you climbing into your barrel. LOL

I didn't see anything to suggest Taylor is markedly better. A few throws over the middle were good, but I certainly didn't see 2.0.

I actually think Taylor had a fine game, but he's had several better games, and I would say he needs to improve beyond those measuring sticks before he can be considered a new incarnation.

I hope he gets there, but he hasn't gotten there yet imo.

I didn't see anything to suggest Taylor is markedly better. A few throws over the middle were good, but I certainly didn't see 2.0.

I actually think Taylor had a fine game, but he's had several better games, and I would say he needs to improve beyond those measuring sticks before he can be considered a new incarnation.

I hope he gets there, but he hasn't gotten there yet imo.

Sensible take. Watch out for the flame throwers.

One thing that I haven't seen posted about the interception. He made the throw and didn't try to run. In the past people have argued that if he tried to make a few more throws it may lead to a few more picks, but will help him in the long run. That could have been and I will argue should have been caught by Clay. In the past he has been very quick to take off and try to run in those situations.

I agree with this 100%. Everyone knows TT is not a great pocket passer but he made plays yesterday with his feet that 1 or 2 QB's in the league could make and those plays were instrumental in the Bills winning the football game. If there is ANY improvement in his pocket presence and ability to use the middle of the field the offense will improve or at minimum stay status quo.

It may not be Tyrod Taylor 2.0 but in that first game it was about Tyrod Taylor 1.5 IMO.

One thing that I haven't seen posted about the interception. He made the throw and didn't try to run. In the past people have argued that if he tried to make a few more throws it may lead to a few more picks, but will help him in the long run. That could have been and I will argue should have been caught by Clay. In the past he has been very quick to take off and try to run in those situations.

Yep. That was a good throw and the fact is when you try and make more throws in those spots you will have a few more turnovers. I'm not concerned in the slightest by that pick from the QB perspective. Nor should the Bills be. You go over the tape today and tell him "hey make that throw every time".

I'm thrilled with TT. Geez, how would you like to have Tolzien or Savage, etc or even an old geezer like Carson Palmer?... to be your QB. Seriously, some Bills fans should chill and be thankful we have a decent QB here and a decent looking rookie backup.

I thought it was the same Tyrod we have seen through two years to be honest. There were a few more plays over the middle, that is true. But there was the usual mix of some really nice throws, a few bad throws, some excellent escapes with his legs and a handful of situations where he left plays on the field with guys he just didn't appear to see.

Let's see :

• A few plays over the middle
  • Some really nice throws
  • A few bad throws
  • Some plays left on the field

You just described every single quarterback in every single game yesterday. Almost all qbs throw less over the middle; Taylor has been criticized for lagging a few percentage points behind his peers. Likewise, every quarterback whiffs on a few throws and leaves plays on the field. I sometimes think Bills fans don't watch other qb play with the same critical eye they use on their own guy. One of the networks was running a sidebar rolling list of the best quarterback numbers of the day - by yardage. Sure, Taylor was buried way down the list, but there were a lot of gawdawful performances above him. His numbers actually looked pretty good.

I'll take it a step further : One of the major debates this offseason was whether a subpar set of receivers (or losing your prime target) affects qb play. This would seem obvious, but a lot of people insisted "Tom Brady doesn't need receivers." Well, watching Thursday's game I thought even god-like Brady looked like he needed receivers. Watching poor Eli struggle last night I thought maybe qbs do suffer when their main guy is out.

Edited by grb

Luckily the Jets LB corp is terrible and the coaching staff exploited the fact, and the line gave him time to throw. We shall see how well he uses the middle of the field against a good team.

While he has made some strives which is good we still see the assets that make him dynamic which is perfect. A lot of players think they are being forced to change their entire game and become something their not. Tyrod still scrambled but had a lot less aimless scrambling and he kept his eyes downfield. Tyrod wouldnt have made the pass to McCoy dowm the middle last year. He was able to keep eyes down field and makr an accurate throw on the move. Those are the type of plays we wanted to see out of him.

Good post. Contrary to popular belief QBs can improve no mattter how many years they've been in there league. Starting on the field is the only way to make real progress.

Great point.