Tyrod Taylor 2.0?

JerseyBills

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Luckily the Jets LB corp is terrible and the coaching staff exploited the fact, and the line gave him time to throw. We shall see how well he uses the middle of the field against a good team.

It is like you disregard that fact that the QB just proved all the "can't throw over the middle guys" wrong. And you are just waiting around for the guy to fail. And you can't wait.

That is what it seems like.

I sometimes think Bills fans don't watch other qb play with the same critical eye they use on their own guy.

If you think that about me you obviously do not know me. So far 13 games have been played this weekend. I have seen every single play from 8 of them and by the end of this week I hope I'll have seen then all. Tyrod's performance yesterday is one of the better ones I have watched this week so far. The assertion I was disputing was that it demonstrated a step forward from Tyrod. It was a good display it didn't represent a new Quarterback. He was the same guy he has been before.

I'm sorry, but this is quite delusional.

I didn't see drastic improvement or poise. I saw more easy and simple throws under little to no pressure.

This is the stuff I'm talking about. Posters claim they know what TT is and that they don't say he's great, but one decent performance against a bad team and they are claiming him as such.

What you saw was nothing special. It's gonna take much more than that over the course of multiple games before I make such proclamations about TT making drastic improvement.

I'm not a Tyrod cheerleader but I also don't go around making false claims such as he did it against a bad team. Yes, the Jets are bad but their defense is average to above average. Their offense is epically bad and that is why the Jets suck....but Taylor didn't play against the Jets offense, did he?

If you think that about me you obviously do not know me. So far 13 games have been played this weekend. I have seen every single play from 8 of them and by the end of this week I hope I'll have seen then all. Tyrod's performance yesterday is one of the better ones I have watched this week so far. The assertion I was disputing was that it demonstrated a step forward from Tyrod. It was a good display it didn't represent a new Quarterback. He was the same guy he has been before.

I don't think he was much different than before - but the one area which he was different in my opinion - was being more of a pocket passer than a running QB. Seemed like he deliberately played more of a pocket passer role and thew balls away when passes weren't there rather than try to make a play with his legs. Not a huge difference than before - maybe one notch closer to being a pocket passer though.

He still used his feet which is good. I just think he deliberately threw the ball away in a couple situations where I expected him to try to make a play with his feet. That is one more notch towards "passer" than "runner".

I don't really know if that is a good thing or not. Guess we will see as the season plays out.

It is like you disregard that fact that the QB just proved all the "can't throw over the middle guys" wrong. And you are just waiting around for the guy to fail. And you can't wait.

That is what it seems like.

This is where posters lose me, and I feel the need to correct them.

He didn't prove anyone wrong. What TT has failed to do and still hasn't proven is that he can use the middle third of the field regularly. More specifically...at the same rate as most other QB's.

He made a few short and very simple throws to the middle of the field. Now here comes posters with the supreme hyperbole. TT has drastically improved, and he's proven all his doubters wrong.

At least now we can put to bed the argument that nobody is claiming Tyrod is great.

Ok I'm writing this as I watch highlights of marshawn trucking dudes all day which is fun to watch. The NFL needs more of this.

Anywhoo I think we're all saying that we will know more about Taylor after next week against a more credible opponent, but all I want to say is that comparing Tyrods first game last season as opposed to his first game this season, there is progress.

Can't wait till I retire and have that kind of time!

He didn't prove anyone wrong. What TT has failed to do and still hasn't proven is that he can use the middle third of the field regularly. More specifically...at the same rate as most other QB's.

He made a few short and very simple throws to the middle of the field. Now here comes posters with the supreme hyperbole. TT has drastically improved, and he's proven all his doubters wrong.

At least now we can put to bed the argument that nobody is claiming Tyrod is great.

At the same time you come here with hyperbole on the other side of the fence. "A few short and very simple throws to the middle" What exactly is a tough throw? 5 different targets had 20+ yard receptions yesterday. You also move the goal posts. "Cant throw to the middle" now its "regularly/short and simple" He was 7 of 8 in the middle of the field period. That disproves "cant" which is what the original narrative was.

It's posters like you that I can't stand. I don't mind people saying Tyrod isn't good enough or we need to better or things like that. Those statements are true. If we want to win a superbowl then we need better than Taylor. You on the other hand cant even give him the slightest credit whatsoever without putting disclaimers in there about how things were short and simple. When Taylor was ballin and throwing downfield you said they were all simple sideline throws and he cant throw to the middle. When Taylor turns around and completes 7 of 8 passes to the middle you say he threw all short simple passes. The guy does what everyone says he cant do and goal posts move.

Edited by Scott7975

I think one game is probably too small a sample to make meaningful evaluations. It did appear there is some growth in Tyrod's game, brought about in part by the scheme change. There are also things he needs to keep working on (quickness in making reads). There also needs to be improvement by wide receivers. Overall, they need to do a better job gaining separation and holding on to the ball. There will be games this season where 4 receptions by WRs won't be nearly enough.

Honestly, I saw the exact same Tyrod.

People say he grew in some areas? Ok, but he also regressed in a few.

One of his saving graces in his game in the past was his nice long ball. Both that I remember weren't anywhere near the target, and not catchable balls.

I liked that in the past he'd throw away a ball when it was obvious nothing was doing on the field. Well yesterday he threw some away that still had legs.

He just doesn't give his players a chance to make a big play. They either have to be wide open or he's not throwing it.

Did some good thing, did some bad things. Never stood on thevthroat of the opponent and poured it on like we should've, didn't take advantage of our opportunities.

It's going to lead to many issues against real teams.

Go ahead, tell me I'm wrong. Taylor's exactly the same as he was last year.

Some good, some bad. No real urgency or fire, imo.

Edited by likei've

WhenI read your posts I can't help but think of Dustin Hoffman in Rainman:

Tyrod bad. Tyrod bad. Very bad. Very bad. Bad.

One of his saving graces in his game in the past was his nice long ball. Both that I remember weren't anywhere near the target, and not catchable balls.

I liked that in the past he'd throw away a ball when it was obvious nothing was doing on the field. Well yesterday he threw some away that still had legs.

He just doesn't give his players a chance to make a big play. They either have to be wide open or he's not throwing it.

Did some good thing, did some bad things. Never stood on thevthroat of the opponent and poured it on like we should've, didn't take advantage of our opportunities.

I concur.

I'm not a Tyrod cheerleader but I also don't go around making false claims such as he did it against a bad team. Yes, the Jets are bad but their defense is average to above average. Their offense is epically bad and that is why the Jets suck....but Taylor didn't play against the Jets offense, did he?

No, it is not.

They traded their best defenseive player just before the season started.

They have Mo Wilkerson and really nothing else.

You're wrong. That was easy.

No, it is not.

They traded their best defenseive player just before the season started.

They have Mo Wilkerson and really nothing else.

Leonard Williams would beg to differ

Tyrod was a good version of himself on Sunday. He was accurate when he needed to be, and climbed through the pocket on his way to his scrambles which gives him more opportunity to make plays as he has the entire field, instead of half the field as happens when he bails out the side. He's played like this before, and when he does he gives us a chance to win. Make no mistake: Tyrod did not put the team on his back and carry them to a win. He did not dominate the game. He was good, and he made quality plays when he had to, but this was a team win.

And even with that said, this isn't a new version of Tyrod unless he can do this all season. He's had "this game" before, he's just been unable to do it consistently.

Undisputable:

1. Tyrod is a leader;

2. Tyrod is a hard-worker;

3. Tyrod generates points; and

4. Tyrod does not turn the ball over.

Say what you will, he is either a top half starter or very close to it. Puts us in a tough spot in a way. Use all your draft capital on a new QB or build on what we have and role with TT. One could do a lot worse than Tyrod - and this team often has. No guarantee a pick is even an upgrade. Tough call, would be great to have an Aaron Rogers, of course. Would also really stink to have a first-round flameout that cost us something like our two 2018 #1s plus 2019's number 1.

And you're ugly.

Ooh, you're right, it's fun to say things as if they're fact with absolutely nothing to back it up.

He did some things that he was criticized for last year. Used the TE more. More stuff over the middle. Hung in the pocket longer on some throws. He will never be a prototype big NFL QB. And those guys will never be TT. Let him do what he does best.

So yes you are wrong. And probably ugly too.