Tyrod Taylor 2.0?

JerseyBills

Tyrod was a good version of himself on Sunday. He was accurate when he needed to be, and climbed through the pocket on his way to his scrambles which gives him more opportunity to make plays as he has the entire field, instead of half the field as happens when he bails out the side. He's played like this before, and when he does he gives us a chance to win. Make no mistake: Tyrod did not put the team on his back and carry them to a win. He did not dominate the game. He was good, and he made quality plays when he had to, but this was a team win.

And even with that said, this isn't a new version of Tyrod unless he can do this all season. He's had "this game" before, he's just been unable to do it consistently.

Yep.

You can't ask TT to do things that the coaches don't ask him to do. It was very clear they were playing this game very conservatively. It was very clear they didn't want to force the ball downfield. Very clear they didn't respect the Jets offense so they weren't going to need to put up 30. And when the game went as planned, they curled up into a ball in the fourth quarter. He did what they asked him to. There are a lot of games they will ask more of him and we will see if he does it or not.

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tyrod was a good version of himself on Sunday. He was accurate when he needed to be, and climbed through the pocket on his way to his scrambles which gives him more opportunity to make plays as he has the entire field, instead of half the field as happens when he bails out the side. He's played like this before, and when he does he gives us a chance to win. Make no mistake: Tyrod did not put the team on his back and carry them to a win. He did not dominate the game. He was good, and he made quality plays when he had to, but this was a team win.

And even with that said, this isn't a new version of Tyrod unless he can do this all season. He's had "this game" before, he's just been unable to do it consistently.

Agree with the consistency.

At the same time you come here with hyperbole on the other side of the fence. "A few short and very simple throws to the middle" What exactly is a tough throw? 5 different targets had 20+ yard receptions yesterday. You also move the goal posts. "Cant throw to the middle" now its "regularly/short and simple" He was 7 of 8 in the middle of the field period. That disproves "cant" which is what the original narrative was.

It's posters like you that I can't stand. I don't mind people saying Tyrod isn't good enough or we need to better or things like that. Those statements are true. If we want to win a superbowl then we need better than Taylor. You on the other hand cant even give him the slightest credit whatsoever without putting disclaimers in there about how things were short and simple. When Taylor was ballin and throwing downfield you said they were all simple sideline throws and he cant throw to the middle. When Taylor turns around and completes 7 of 8 passes to the middle you say he threw all short simple passes. The guy does what everyone says he cant do and goal posts move.

Nonsense.

I gave him credit, and I have always said his stats have been acquired by easy, simple throws. He did throw to the middle more, but it wasn't anything difficult or impressive...i'm just stating the obvious here.

When he does what he's best at, he can be effective...moving out of the pocket, making plays on the run or throwing off of the run, and his deep ball which is good.

My concern has always been his limitations as a passer in a passing league, and how it seems to be a major flaw late in games and crucial moments in close games.

He's a fine player that does some good things, but my expectations of our team and QB are more than what he can bring to the table.

I'll keep this short, Taylor showed huge improvements in his game and it was evident from the first series. Specifically in the pocket.

His footwork, poise and speed scanning the field looks to have improved drastically. A huge drop by Clay turned 7 into 0 and some very smart throwaways decreased his completion percentage but we totally dominated and controlled this game. He converted some big 3rd downs, and used his legs very effectively.

Make no mistake, this offense runs through Shady but I think we are witnessing the evolution of Tyrod Taylor. I really felt Dennison held back big time in the 4th and just sat on the lead, up 2 scores, dominant defensive performance, that's fine but I'm really excited to see Taylor grow in this scheme and get comfortable with the WR corps.

This was a true team win, well , maybe minus ST, but for the first time in quite some time the O and D both showed up, 400+ yards on O , just over 200 allowed. Taylor's stats weren't eye popping but he did what needed to be done and looked vastly improved in the pocket. I'm really excited to see us match up with Carolina, I don't see any reason we can't have the same outcome.

Tyrod 2.0 is here

I respectfully but strenuously disagree with the tenor of your response regarding TT. He is what he has been and has not grown from being Tyrod 1 to Tyrod 2. There are limitations to his game regarding reading defenses and going through progressions that are starkly evident. He has little ability to make anticipatory throws that are part and parcel of going through progressions. He can hit the open receiver but he can't consistently hit the receiver in stride ahead of him making his move.

Was TT better than in prior seasons? Yes. But only incrementally better. The offense is geared toward what he can do well and not what he can't do well. That is the right approach to take. My prediction is that before the season is over Peterman will be given an opportunity to play in order to see what he can do. Peterman more so than TT has an ability to run a more rounded passing offense that uses more of the field.

I'm sorry, but this is quite delusional.

I didn't see drastic improvement or poise. I saw more easy and simple throws under little to no pressure.

This is the stuff I'm talking about. Posters claim they know what TT is and that they don't say he's great, but one decent performance against a bad team and they are claiming him as such.

What you saw was nothing special. It's gonna take much more than that over the course of multiple games before I make such proclamations about TT making drastic improvement.

Maybe you are right but look at him in the pocket , look at his footwork,look at that head scan the field, I can't remember one game where I was so impressed with these things. I counted twice where he escaped too early,felt "imaginary" pressure but he used to do that twice a quarter.

Did he miss some throws? Sure , did you look around the league? Been and his o got held to 14 points by the worse D in the league, Ryan struggled,look at Eli without his Sammy Watkins..

The guy just got out of concussion protocol a week ago. Just started playing with Matthews, I didn't say he played an amazing game.

I just loved what I saw in the pocket. 8/9 over the middle! And took command of an offense that put up over 400 yards! It raised his ceiling for me, he needs work of course but I am super encouraged by the mechanics he improved on. And I would call his footwork and poise in pocket a big improvement over anything on tape last year.

I respectfully but strenuously disagree with the tenor of your response regarding TT. He is what he has been and has not grown from being Tyrod 1 to Tyrod 2. There are limitations to his game regarding reading defenses and going through progressions that are starkly evident. He has little ability to make anticipatory throws that are part and parcel of going through progressions. He can hit the open receiver but he can't consistently hit the receiver in stride ahead of him making his move.

Was TT better than in prior seasons? Yes. But only incrementally better. The offense is geared toward what he can do well and not what he can't do well. That is the right approach to take. My prediction is that before the season is over Peterman will be given an opportunity to play in order to see what he can do. Peterman more so than TT has an ability to run a more rounded passing offense that uses more of the field.

Peterman will get that chance only if they start playing badly or if TT gets hurt. We should all hope those doesn't happen.

This is all very fair. In a few games this year the running game won't go as planned and the defense will struggle. We'll have to see what Tyrod can do in those games to make proper judgments.

Yep.

You can't ask TT to do things that the coaches don't ask him to do. It was very clear they were playing this game very conservatively. It was very clear they didn't want to force the ball downfield. Very clear they didn't respect the Jets offense so they weren't going to need to put up 30. And when the game went as planned, they curled up into a ball in the fourth quarter. He did what they asked him to. There are a lot of games they will ask more of him and we will see if he does it or not.

This is all true.

I do have to wonder though if he can do more, or is it that the coaches know his limitations, and do not want to expose him?

Peterman did not show going through more than two progressions. He did not show any ability when there was a strong rush. He did not show any throwing with anticipation before the cut on anything over about 10 yards. People gave him credit for things he never did.

He looked the same to me. He had himself a solid game and it's what you can come to expect from him for the most part when the defense and running game are doing their part. The test will come when we need to rely on him to win a game.

I'm certainly not coming away from this game thinking we now don't have to take a QB high next year. Tyrod has proven to at worst be a reliable stop gap but I wouldn't be satisfied with him as our starter just yet.

I agree with the OP that TT was improved in this game, but he still was not spectacular or "franchise" level. He needs to continue improving on not locking onto a single WR (although he had 2 this game), and continue to throw with anticipation. All in all, I was happy with how he played, hopefully continued improvement is on the way. He's smart at avoiding sacks and not throwing INT's. (Clay's created INT notwithstanding). If he can pare that with his running skill, and add whole field vision, going through reads, and throwing with anticipation we have a top 5 QB. He has the skills, I hope he does it!

Edited by RyanC883

This is all very fair. In a few games this year the running game won't go as planned and the defense will struggle. We'll have to see what Tyrod can do in those games to make proper judgments.

People keep saying this about the run game, but why? It's their strength, until a team can stop it you go with your strength, and I didn't see many teams last year slow the running game.

Maybe you are right but look at him in the pocket , look at his footwork,look at that head scan the field, I can't remember one game where I was so impressed with these things. I counted twice where he escaped too early,felt "imaginary" pressure but he used to do that twice a quarter.

Did he miss some throws? Sure , did you look around the league? Been and his o got held to 14 points by the worse D in the league, Ryan struggled,look at Eli without his Sammy Watkins..

The guy just got out of concussion protocol a week ago. Just started playing with Matthews, I didn't say he played an amazing game.

I just loved what I saw in the pocket. 8/9 over the middle! And took command of an offense that put up over 400 yards! It raised his ceiling for me, he needs work of course but I am super encouraged by the mechanics he improved on. And I would call his footwork and poise in pocket a big improvement over anything on tape last year.

I'm not so sure about all of that.

I'd suggest pumping the brakes and seeing how things go for a few more games, but I'm really not interested in being that guy at this point, so have at it.