Game plan for 2018 took a hit last night

gjv001

first, i think last night was an anomaly kind of game. alex smith is not going to do that every week. has never done that. his best year as a pro was last year with 3500 yards passing. so the offense will still be around 20th where it was last year. I see the defense taking a huge hit. their defense has gotten them through the last few years and I just don't see it getting better from last year losing berry. look at their schedule.

wentz rivers cousins, texans, steelers, raiders broncos cowboys giants. that is one tough run man.

Now I know you're not being serious.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

alex smith has had weapons and a run game with the chiefs before and still only threw about 3500 yards or less. go look at his past years...he has one 300 yards game per year the last few years. then he comes back down to the 200 yard or so per game average.

If you are basing your assessment of an offense primarily on total passing yards, you are going to misjudge it.

Last night's KC Chiefs look like the team that I think Rex was trying to build in Buffalo the last 2 years. Andy Reid is obviously better at it than Rex. The Chiefs are going to win (if they win) by running the football well, by taking occasional deep shots and playing stout defense. They aren't going to need Alex Smith to throw 300 yard games week to week to win. They need to control the football and march down the field steadily on those 90 yard drives like they did last night.

If you are basing your assessment of an offense primarily on total passing yards, you are going to misjudge it.

Last night's KC Chiefs look like the team that I think Rex was trying to build in Buffalo the last 2 years. Andy Reid is obviously better at it than Rex. The Chiefs are going to win (if they win) by running the football well, by taking occasional deep shots and playing stout defense. They aren't going to need Alex Smith to throw 300 yard games week to week to win. They need to control the football and march down the field steadily on those 90 yard drives like they did last night.

Absolutely agree. That is a very well-balanced and well-coached offense, with some major weapons in Hunt and Hill (and Kelce, of course). They will score a lot of points. If Hunt plays like he did last night, I can't think of another team in the AFC with two better playmakers than him and Hill.

So youre saying them going 12-4 was a fluke last yr? I dont understand your argument. When you dont see wins on their schedule are you thinking theyre going to go 6-10? Or are you talking 9-7?

In another thread here i stated that the Chiefs are a lock for 9-7 or 10-6 this year (taking into account their tough division). 1-0 right now when everyone had them 0-1.

They're most likely going to split (at worst) vs broncos and chargers. 2 more wins.

At worst theyll split the eagles/skins which are both in their house. 1 more win.

I say they split the Oakand series. 1 more win.

They play us at home. 1 more win.

They play the Jets. 1 more win.

They play miami at home. 1 more win.

They will win one of games either vs Dallas, Houston, Pitt. 1 more win.

Me being completely conservative, worst case they go 9-7.

I just dont get how you can say you dont see wins on their schedule.

i was thinking 6 wins for them. they led the league in takeaways with berry having 4 picks and a forced fumble. now you take away a guy who allowed those other db's to play a little more aggressive and i can see that turnover ration they led the league with changing. smith won't turn the ball over on offense still but i see him having a larger effect on the defense than you do. I could very well see them continue to get shredded with yards like last year...but won't be so great in the red zone with berry out. you tell me why you think their defense is going to allow less yards this year and also continue to hold teams from scoring? berry was the runner up def player of the year

Absolutely agree. That is a very well-balanced and well-coached offense, with some major weapons in Hunt and Hill (and Kelce, of course). They will score a lot of points. If Hunt plays like he did last night, I can't think of another team in the AFC with two better playmakers than him and Hill.

I'd probably argue Brown & Bell, but I'd take KC's D/ST over PIT's for sure.

i was thinking 6 wins for them. they led the league in takeaways with berry having 4 picks and a forced fumble. now you take away a guy who allowed those other db's to play a little more aggressive and i can see that turnover ration they led the league with changing. smith won't turn the ball over on offense still but i see him having a larger effect on the defense than you do. I could very well see them continue to get shredded with yards like last year...but won't be so great in the red zone with berry out. you tell me why you think their defense is going to allow less yards this year and also continue to hold teams from scoring? berry was the runner up def player of the year

We'll just agree to disagree. I hope they suck. But they wont. Too luch leadership on that team. Too much quality coaching. They have a system in KC that has worked for 4+ seasons now. They have talented young players in Ford, Peters, Hill, and now Hunt. They have great/good players in Houston and Alex Smith and Kelce.

I think people view their playoff performances and disregard the team as a whole.

Lastly to be clear, im not saying the Chiefs are amazing and are going to go 14-2. But they are a top 6-7 team in AFC no doubt.

We'll just agree to disagree. I hope they suck. But they wont. Too luch leadership on that team. Too much quality coaching. They have a system in KC that has worked for 4+ seasons now. They have talented young players in Ford, Peters, Hill, and now Hunt. They have great/good players in Houston and Alex Smith and Kelce.

I think people view their playoff performances and disregard the team as a whole.

Lastly to be clear, im not saying the Chiefs are amazing and are going to go 14-2. But they are a top 6-7 team in AFC no doubt.

The only way that we get a top 12 pick from the Chiefs is if Alex Smith gets hurt.

Mahomes is too raw right now to do anything.

Don't worry about the Chiefs, I got this handled. Everyone I know, knows all the teams I root for suck. I am the curse. A good friend of mine is a Chiefs fan. Every year we bet $50 on who has the better record in the Conference and another $20 if they play head to head. The cheap ass is actually giving me 3 points this year when they play at KC. I told him I am tired of paying him every year and that I am going to start claiming him on my taxes. To finally win this bet, last week I informed him that I was jumping on the KC band wagon, and that I was even going to get a Smith jersey. This has him terrified, he immediately offered me 10 points for the KC game if i didn't. This is how strong my curse is, and he knows it. I refused, but told him I would wait until after the NE game to jump on that wagon.

Go Chiefs!!!!

they're built kind of how we wanted the bills to be the last couple years. big time defense. some offense. people don't understand how bad of an offense you can have but if that defense is lights out you will win games. berry was the backbone of that defense and i think they will hurt a lot because of it. look at the offense they're facing.

I hope to god they do not package their pick and KC's pick and try to move up in the draft. That would defeat they whole purpose. This team needs talent in multiple spots.

If they had a scond pick in the first round they could have had a QB (my preference being Kizer) and White.

If TT struggles, they can go after Cousins( I would not) or still get a QB with their own pick. That KC pick can then be traded down for multiple other picks.

I hope to god they do not package their pick and KC's pick and try to move up in the draft. That would defeat they whole purpose. This team needs talent in multiple spots.

If they had a scond pick in the first round they could have had a QB (my preference being Kizer) and White.

If TT struggles, they can go after Cousins( I would not) or still get a QB with their own pick. That KC pick can then be traded down for multiple other picks.

I think the purpose for stock piling picks is to move up and get a QB....especially if it's someone they really want.

I think the purpose for stock piling picks is to move up and get a QB....especially if it's someone they really want.

If nothing else it gives them the ability to. Certainly making the move will depend on which prospects they like and how the draft ends up falling. All in all I'm excited about our position for building the roster.

they're built kind of how we wanted the bills to be the last couple years. big time defense. some offense. people don't understand how bad of an offense you can have but if that defense is lights out you will win games. berry was the backbone of that defense and i think they will hurt a lot because of it. look at the offense they're facing.

They added Justin Houston, who was out last year. That more than makes up for losing Berry. And they did not miss a beat last night when Berry went out. As to the notion that the Chiefs are facing a disproportionate number of top QBs this year, that's just silly.

The Bills just want the extra first. They know KC was a playoff team. Not like they made this trade with Cleveland and the Browns just beat the Pats. That said if we can wait to judge NE after one game, we can wait to judge KC too. They caught NE at the right time with some serious injuries and issues on their front 7 and had a major chip on their shoulder from the point spread considering they were a playoff team last year. But KC plays 6 games in a very good division. Each of their divisional opponents has a pass rush that blows away NE's. They also just lost Eric Berry for the year and appear to be very prone to penalties and lack of discipline. Last year they won a few very close games that could have gone either way. So it's just way too early to tell. I don't think it changes the Bills plan at all, though.

Edited by YoloinOhio

KC can go 19-0 for all I care. We have an extra pick in the first, that's all that matters; it can be packaged if need be.

Watching NE get embarrassed in their season opener, at home, on national TV? Priceless, every freaking time.

I went in kind of hoping for the Pats to dominate. That way I'd know the Chiefs weren't very good.

About halfway into the game I was actively rooting for the Pats to lose.

After last night (barring injury or qb controversy) I've accepted the pick will more than likely be a higher one.

Edited by likei've

Before we all freak out...

Alex Smith will regress to his mean: 198.7 ypg (career). Even if we take his stats from 2012 - 2016, his mean is only 213.5 ypg.

Stats, from Pro-Football Reference.com:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SmitAl03.htm#passing::none

Our KC pick isn't doomed to be #32... Smith's stats, plus losing Berry for the year, means KC will be a good, team, possibly miss the playoffs (sans Berry), and give us a pick between 12 and 23. That's my estimate; quote me on it!

Edited by ROCBillsBeliever

The trade was still a good trade IMO. KC may be better than I expected. They are fast (if Hill is healthy). Even still, I would make that trade today.

If you don't believe in Mahomes......it's a *good* deal.

If you do.......it's a complete clusterfuk.

Those are the only real answers as I see it.

And that's even if the Chiefs go south from here........and they could.......I'm not putting too much stock in a week one win.......NE was a mess on defense last night.

But Alex Smith looked damn good on the deep ball. :thumbsup:

Considering only 3 of the last 10 first round picks are even on the team, I don't think it matters very much. People confuse number of picks with number of quality starters- they are not one in the same. We could have all the picks in the world, but if they are used like they have been the last 17 years, we are destine for further failure.

They added Justin Houston, who was out last year. That more than makes up for losing Berry. And they did not miss a beat last night when Berry went out. As to the notion that the Chiefs are facing a disproportionate number of top QBs this year, that's just silly.

fine. they will still be 24th in yards allowed but they will not maintain that low scoring defense.

I wonder how many Bills fans were disappointed with the Kansas City upset last night.

If KC is as good as they played last night, our second first round pick will be in the high 20's at best.

That was my thought as well, why couldn't we have traded for the 49ers 1st.

I don´t care... I will take a NE L every time.

I enjoy every bitt of it, the way they got dominated was brilliant.

Pats weren't dominated, Hightower went out and the defense faltered. Brady hasn't enough time with his new WRs, when he does it will be same old pats.

KC can go 19-0 for all I care. We have an extra pick in the first, that's all that matters; it can be packaged if need be.

Watching NE get embarrassed in their season opener, at home, on national TV? Priceless, every freaking time.

------------

Beautifully stated! Well done sir👍

KC will lose a game or two they have no reason losing this season. It will balance out cause I don't feel their quite as good as they showed last night. They can still go 8-8 but don't care cause we got their pick.

Edited by billsbackto81

I was never counting on the pick from KC to be anywhere but in the 20s. However, it's a long season. KC's final record will depend on lots of things including injuries to their own players (Eric Berry) and opponents' players. For me, Thursday night was about nothing more than enjoying New England's defeat.

The trade was still a good trade IMO. KC may be better than I expected. They are fast (if Hill is healthy). Even still, I would make that trade today.

+1. Unless the Bills had a strong urge to Maholmes at that pick, they were wise to trade down. They have plenty of ammunition next year if they need to go up and get that QB at the top-3. But I am sensing that the Journey of the 2017 Buffalo Bills is going to be a cautiously optimistic situation

Edited by ganesh

You think they're better than the Raiders?

Yes. Ill make a bet* they split or sweep oakland. Cheifs defense is much better then oaks is

Never expected the Chiefs pick to be very high anyway. The plan should still be the same.

Yep and were gonna win more games than most of us expect. Ill take a NE loss everytime unless we need them to win for WC purposes Edited by Marty McFly