A Funny Thing Happened On The Road To Undefeated

/dev/null

As it always seems to be for Bills' fans, there is always something negative to draw - KC looked very good, good enough that their 1st round pick is unlikely to be very helpful in trading up for a QB in 2018. Looks like unless the Bills are bad enough to earn a top 3 pick on their own, the QB problem will persist beyond next year.

It's week one. Overreactions abound...Bills were going to the Super bowl after stomping the Pats 31-0...we all know how that turned out. Chiefs will be what they usually are...a 9 to 11 win team that gets bounced in the first or second round of the playoffs and New England will be what it usually is, a team that goes to the super bowl...

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No way to just assume they are vulnerable but they were bad. No Welker really hurts them. Brady was off. The line didn't run block. Hogan did nothing. Defense was very vulnerable. They were out coached of all things. They really had no answers on offense or defense.

It's just one game. I'm just assuming it's an aberration.

The playcalling too - 2 4th and a half yard plays and they run it up the gut with the halfback, which is the easiest play to stop in that situation?? They deserved to lose with those calls.

BB wanted to win now, so he gives up draft picks to stock his current roster to get a shot at another ring. I would LOVE it if they limp to 8-8 or worse AND they mortgaged the future. Karma MF'er.

There is no karmic payback if you've already won five super bowls.

I'll admit that I was floored every time Marsha got beat up and also with the final score. I think, though, that more should be said about the Chiefs coaching than how "bad" the pats looked. I am always amazed how seemingly outgunned or out-manned the Chiefs are and somehow they hang with you and capitalize on any mistake you make. The Pats* should have been up by two touchdowns in the first 5 minutes of the game. Andy Reid is a quality coach.

undefeated is not a goal of NFL teams, it's HFA for the playoffs, nobody cares about undefeated seasons

sometimes it can't be helped and you get a team that is so excellent and healthy that it seems they can't even dog away a few losses

2nd in the AFC East will have 6 or 7 wins, so the Pats can coast to the division with a 10-6 record and a ton of Belichick thinking to get them there.

Listened to 98.5 the Sports Hub on the way into work this morning (because it's always so entertaining when Boston loses) and heard a great analogy for the events in Foxborough last night.

Between the hype, the banner, and the celebration, the Patriots were Apollo Creed coming out for his fight with Ivan Drago in Rocky IV, dancing and having a great time stroking his own ego. The Chiefs were Ivan Drago, standing in the ring watching in disgust as it all went on around him.

I think we all know how that ended up...

"If he dies, he dies."

Edited by devldog131

I'd say the Patriots are going to have issues on defense this season but... it's Bellichick and he'll make adjustments to hide their weaknesses. They may struggle up front, though. Their front seven isn't very good, they don't have any solid pass rushers and they'll be hurting more if Hightower has to miss significant time. They're pretty good in the secondary but yeah, it feels like they may struggle.

And offensively, Brady looked inaccurate on throws he routinely makes. Gronk appeared to get hurt on that non-TD catch in the first quarter. But again, it's the Pats, they'll adjust and I'm gonna bet they'll roast New Orleans next week.

The Pat's D couldn't solve Alex Smith and K. Hunt. Good luck against TT and Shady--or Big Ben and Bell. Or Carr and whatever RB they use that game.

The Pat's O could't do ANYTHING when KC shut-down the intermediate routes. Brady could dance all day and still miss people.

KC's WR's are equal to or worse than ours.

This wasn't good players getting beat. This was a sub=par roster. Hopefully the Pats hubris will catch up to them.

Maybe Clay too.

Its why I have such a big issue with the Watkins trade. Makes me think these guys don't have a pulse on the league or they are so egotistical they don't want anything to do with the previous regimes drafted players, no matter how good.

None of which are good.

Not worried about Watkins. Matthews, Clay, and Zay are plenty. Oh, also, Shady. We have more offensive talent than KC. (including our line.)

I'm more worried about our ability to take away the intermediate passes that Brady and the Pats live on.

The Pat's D couldn't solve Alex Smith and K. Hunt. Good luck against TT and Shady--or Big Ben and Bell. Or Carr and whatever RB they use that game.

The Pat's O could't do ANYTHING when KC shut-down the intermediate routes. Brady could dance all day and still miss people.

KC's WR's are equal to or worse than ours.

This wasn't good players getting beat. This was a sub=par roster. Hopefully the Pats hubris will catch up to them.

Not worried about Watkins. Matthews, Clay, and Zay are plenty. Oh, also, Shady. We have more offensive talent than KC. (including our line.)

I'm more worried about our ability to take away the intermediate passes that Brady and the Pats live on.

The point that Scott and I were both making is that chunk plays killed the Pats. KC has guys that you have to game plan for. The Bills only have Shady at this point. We have guys that are pretty good football players but not guys that can hurt you. Sammy can hurt you. Tyreke Hill can hurt you. Kelce can hurt you. Teams scheme for those guys. Speed kills!! You can't plan on 15 play drives to score every drive. The numbers don't support that. It's like needing 3 hits in an inning to score a run. It's not a sustainable recipe for success. You need some big plays and you need some home runs. The Chiefs did it all night. Edited by Kirby Jackson

I give more props to KC, that defense looks legit but huge blow losing Eric Berry probably for the season with a torn achilles. The corners were right up on the WR's and if you have a dominant S like Berry that's what you need to do against Gronk also, I don't think we have the secondary yet to do what KC did but that should be the formula for the season stopping the Pats for the better teams.

Maybe Clay too.

Its why I have such a big issue with the Watkins trade. Makes me think these guys don't have a pulse on the league or they are so egotistical they don't want anything to do with the previous regimes drafted players, no matter how good.

None of which are good.

The trade was to get something for Watkins rather than losing him with no compensation at the end of this season. I have no doubt that they knew that they were accepting a downgrade at WR when they made that trade, but they knew that he hey were unlikely to make the playoffs this year with or without Watkins, so we're happy to pocket the draft pick and what looks like a competent CB.

The trade was to get something for Watkins rather than losing him with no compensation at the end of this season. I have no doubt that they knew that they were accepting a downgrade at WR when they made that trade, but they knew that he hey were unlikely to make the playoffs this year with or without Watkins, so we're happy to pocket the draft pick and what looks like a competent CB.

Or they could have just kept him?

Or they could have just kept him?

Yes, they could have paid him $13M per season or more. They obviously determined that his injuries vs that kind of dough didn't warrant keeping him. If they had paid him and he missed several games and was ineffective due to injuries, people would be hollering what a stupid contact that was.

Yes, they could have paid him $13M per season or more. They obviously determined that his injuries vs that kind of dough didn't warrant keeping him. If they had paid him and he missed several games and was ineffective due to injuries, people would be hollering what a stupid contact that was.

And if they paid him that and he turned into the star that his talent suggests it was a great decision.

i wouldn't take a high draft pick over that game. Not a chance in hell.

I would because in the end it's irrelevant to how the Pats will finish at the end of the year, they are winning the division by default this year, so even if they are 9-7 who cares, they still are in the playoffs. But they won't be 9-7 because they never are. In the meantime, the draft pick is not irrelevant and has the ability to be a key to our future.

Edited by matter2003

:beer::D

Caption this. My entry: "have you ever really LOOKED at your hand?"

USATSI_10264971_1504863335931_10716749_v

If I tattooed a cleat mark on my hand, I can cry to the refs all the time!

or...

Ok, clutch is pushed in now put it in 2nd..... no 1st gear.

Edited by The Wiz

Forgive me for not reading through this entire thread, but I read on NFL.com that Brady was pretty pissed after the game because of team attitude, etc.

Not surprisingly, Brady was seething when it was over. It is a rare game in which the Patriots are embarrassed. And after an offseason of celebrating a comeback that added to the legend of this team's competitive will, this was a particularly harsh dose of reality and a reminder that nothing carries over from one season to the next.

"We have to be a lot better in a lot of areas, starting with our attitude and our competitiveness," Brady said, before he was asked to elaborate.

"I just think we need to have more urgency and perform a lot better," he continued. "A winning attitude and a championship attitude, you need to bring it every day. We had it handed to us on our own field. It's a terrible feeling. We've got to dig deep, a lot deeper than we did tonight. We didn't dig very deep tonight."

Anyone hear who he was specifically referring to?

As it always seems to be for Bills' fans, there is always something negative to draw - KC looked very good, good enough that their 1st round pick is unlikely to be very helpful in trading up for a QB in 2018. Looks like unless the Bills are bad enough to earn a top 3 pick on their own, the QB problem will persist beyond next year.

OldTimer, with due respect, how come you mentioned we Bills fans have always ¨something negative to draw¨, and then you finish your sentence, with an assumption that we have a problem at QB, before the guy we have at the position has even taken his 1st snap under a new GM, and full coaches team, wow! how´s that for negative itself, mister?...

so does the madden cover have anything to with it?

yes, yea, and yup!

the Madden curse is real. mark my words.

OldTimer, with due respect, how come you mentioned we Bills fans have always ¨something negative to draw¨, and then you finish your sentence, with an assumption that we have a problem at QB, before the guy we have at the position has even taken his 1st snap under a new GM, and full coaches team, wow! how´s that for negative itself, mister?...

well said.

Only one game, but it looks like the Pats have BIG problems on defense, especially if Hightower misses any sort of time.

Of course, they could soon have big problems on offense too, if Amendola is out for a while too, so cheers to that.

They have big problems at WR also

Win % in September for Pats under Belichick is 65%. Remember when the Bills shut them out in the opener with Milloy? Boy, we thought the Bills were on their way. How'd that season end up? Pats won the SB. So as much as I delighted in seeing the arrogant Pats get knocked down a peg, I am a long way from writing them off.

Win % in September for Pats under Belichick is 65%. Remember when the Bills shut them out in the opener with Milloy? Boy, we thought the Bills were on their way. How'd that season end up? Pats won the SB. So as much as I delighted in seeing the arrogant Pats get knocked down a peg, I am a long way from writing them off.

Didn't they start that season 0-5 and then win out?