National Anthem (Cameron Jefferson)

bmur66

• Replies 686
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wrong again. Links were posted before you responded.

But it doesn't matter. The fact is, those are facts.

You are terrible at this, I don't see the additions you add later on as I'm typing my response...furthermore the point remains the same name and race are two different things.

Again, you are projecting your mistakes on others.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Oh I've offended thee...I'm SOOO sorry. I know editing my posts to correct grammar makes me a bad person, again, I apologize.

One thing to keep in mind, you started this line of conversation, you have now become upset over your own actions.

I'm not offended or upset. The majority of posts here, mine included, were in response to the OP who had taken offense. Your position is in support of his, clearly.

While I 100% have no problem with Colin Kaep, just one thing to keep in mind: the 1st amendment that so many people here keep bringing up doesnt necessarily apply to the workplace. The NFL is a private employer. Kaep and Jefferson are on company time inside of an NFL stadium, wearing an NFL uniform. You cant just say 1st amendment. Its not that simple.

This is true. Still, people are talking (I think) more about their opinions of his actions than whether the NFL or a given team can/should do something to prevent the actions.

I'm not offended or upset. The majority of posts here, mine included, were in response to the OP who had taken offense. Your position is in support of his, clearly.

At no point, ever in this thread had I supported his post...Add very poor insight to your TBD resume. In fact I specifically called it flawed in OUR (you and I)conversation...Pay attention

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Cultural familiarity is not racism. I would pick James over Johanes or Svetlana every time.

You might. A racist might have different reasons. Plus it wasn't only jobs. The study also showed that people with black sounding names were lesss likely to receive responses from the government when requesting information. Is that cultural familiarity?

Still expression. What if it was pictures of pigs with no reference to police?

I was being sarcastic because if you have the right to protest the National Anthem you obviously also have the right to wear socks with police pigs on them. Doesn't mean I agree with it though and the baggage that comes along with Kaepernick is why he isn't on an NFL roster right now.

Maybe we can all agree on this. My older daughter sent an audition tape to OBD to sing the anthem. She just graduated with her BFA in music theater and has a beautiful classic soprano voice. Think Julie Andrews. She would consider it an honor to sing the Anthem (and an all time Bills highlight for dad), she sings it the way it was written, and when she has sung it at different events it brings tears to people's eyes. And if folks didn't stand or whatever she would understand.

So how about it board? Everyone let OBD know the girl from Indiana that's a huge Bills fan should get her shot!

You mean sheet got her BFA from IU in Bloomington, or she is from the State of Indiana?

Well, either way, I give her my vote of approval.

You might. A racist might have different reasons. Plus it wasn't only jobs. The study also showed that people with black sounding names were lesss likely to receive responses from the government when requesting information. Is that cultural familiarity?

You have the ability to tell whether someone is black from their name? That's racist

Edited by Turbosrrgood

So if you hear the name Mr Johnson, you already know whether they are black or not? What about Lee, you know for sure they are Chinese? If you believe so, that's racist.

Wow. Quite possibly the stupidest thing to appear in this thread. Amazing.

What about the other $300,000?? All talk.

Ha ha, you can't be serious. Just take the L and walk away. Cleary you weren't very informed on the topic if you didn't even know about the money pledged.

https://www.google.com/amp/ftw.usatoday.com/2017/08/colin-kaepernick-nfl-national-anthem-protest-one-million-dollar-pledge-donations-empower-communities/amp

Maybe we can all agree on this. My older daughter sent an audition tape to OBD to sing the anthem. She just graduated with her BFA in music theater and has a beautiful classic soprano voice. Think Julie Andrews. She would consider it an honor to sing the Anthem (and an all time Bills highlight for dad), she sings it the way it was written, and when she has sung it at different events it brings tears to people's eyes. And if folks didn't stand or whatever she would understand.

So how about it board? Everyone let OBD know the girl from Indiana that's a huge Bills fan should get her shot!

Great thing for your family.

Just curious, she sings it the way it was written, what does that mean? No electric guitar like Hendrix?

Not me.

Universal Standing for the aanthem never started in the NFL until 2009.

So did you still support the 90s teams when they did other things instead if standing

ive been going to games since 1965... it has always been customary to stand, remove your cap and-lace your right hand over your heart.... yes there were always a few who stood or wobbled (alcohol?), but thats how its always been. if some idiot wants to do something else, ignore them, they are just looking for attention anyway... stand up for your own values

If I misrepresented your position I apologize.

To make that more clear,

I think freedom of speech means no one has to stand or sing the national anthem, there is no enforceable law on the matter. However there is neither is there a law protecting that person from consequences of doing so, such as getting fired or not getting hired.

Personally I don't think that's a good way to protest, I think disrespecting (or perceived disrespect of the) flag detracts from whatever cause you are trying to promote. I don't at all feel bad for Kaep or any other who suffers the consequences of their actions.

In regards to Jefferson, I think he's a terrible football player (I've felt that long before this thread) and this won't matter much going forward.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

http://buffalonews.com/2017/08/31/cameron-jefferson-heckled-bills-fan-fist-roster-spot-remain-air/

It's the National Anthem. Stand and show your respect. It's not a time to call attention to yourself or whatever your individual cause is. This is probably the only time you will hear that guys name other than on the cut list. If you don't know what to do during the National Anthem look at Eric Wood in the photo.

I swear if any Bills player doesn't stand for the National Anthem and the team does nothing about it I will not support this team any longer.

Who is with me?

I just don't understand why the National Anthem as a platform? The flag is to be honored for those who fought, and died for our independence, and this who continue to fight, and die for this Country.

Honoring those brave men, and women is not the time to further your agenda.

But then again; I am a white, 20 year, 3 combat tour veteran. So what do I know.

Edited by DirtDart

Great thing for your family.

Just curious, she sings it the way it was written, what does that mean? No electric guitar like Hendrix?

. Like said above she sings the notes the way the song is written. No riffs, no messing around with trying to add dramatic flourishes. Just a pure and beautiful rendition.

Then why is it when a candidate Human Resources people have never met named Rashida or Kenisha is far, far less likely to get interviewed or the job than the exact same candidate named Barb or Jane?

If this is the study you're referencing to make your point, and I assume it is because it's the one everyone references, it has many problems.

First of all the study admits, amongst many other issues listed on page 8 under "weaknesses of the experiment" that they have no idea if prospective employers were looking at the names of the candidates at all.

Then there's the problem that all surnames listed as "white" are Irish or Anglo, making no room for Slavic, Germanic, etc; and that "white" names outnumber "black" names nearly 2-1, and that at least two of the "black" names (Jones and Williams) are so common and racially intertwined as to be meaningless, and the study ignores businesses which ask for in-person appearances.

The study also makes no room for the fact that any bias demonstrated, if bias is demonstrated, could be anything other than racial. It doesn't account for unusual names that could be considered "white" (again, the study itself states that it is unknowable if the names on the resumes are even looked at, which to me would seem important for such a study), or the type of household which might place some importance on a strange or unique name, and what their upbringing may have looked like. With that in mind, I'd be very curious about the acceptance of a resume for "Rainbow Smith", "Renegade Lee Harris", or "Odin Howard"; three names of white people I know (last names changed to protect their anonymity).

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

I don't see that in the study you linked.

Its all a sensitive and extremely subjective topic. Let's say I don't like the name Benjamin. I have no rational reason. I see it and I dislike it. Maybe subconciously I would give a Benjamin less slack or less thought than I would say James. That doesn't mean there is some underlying hatred of Benjamins. I just don't like the name Benjamin.

Do you think this doesn't happen between white names? Bertha? Bartholomew?

Edited by What a Tuel

. Like said above she sings the notes the way the song is written. No riffs, no messing around with trying to add dramatic flourishes. Just a pure and beautiful rendition.

Like Carl Lewis... just as was written.

I'll take Hendrix version everyday. Freedom of expression... another first amendment right.

I support these guys message, but it seems to me that the "freedom of speech" argument has completely drowned out the message they are attempting to communicate. That is unfortunate. Freedom of speech should not even be a topic of discussion.

I have seen very few posts in this lenthy thread discussing the reason for their demonstration. Does anyone even care why these players demonstrate, or do you care more about how they demonstrate?

All lives matter.

Except for Texans. !@#$ those people.

Edited by BUFFALOKIE

If this is the study you're referencing to make your point, and I assume it is because it's the one everyone references, it has many problems.

First of all the study admits, amongst many other issues listed on page 8 under "weaknesses of the experiment" that they have no idea if prospective employers were looking at the names of the candidates at all.

Then there's the problem that all surnames listed as "white" are Irish or Anglo, making no room for Slavic, Germanic, etc; and that "white" names outnumber "black" names nearly 2-1, and that at least two of the "black" names (Jones and Williams) are so common and racially intertwined as to be meaningless, and the study ignores businesses which ask for in-person appearances.

The study also makes no room for the fact that any bias demonstrated, if bias is demonstrated, could be anything other than racial. It doesn't account for unusual names that could be considered "white" (again, the study itself states that it is unknowable if the names on the resumes are even looked at, which to me would seem important for such a study), or the type of household which might place some importance on a strange or unique name, and what their upbringing may have looked like. With that in mind, I'd be very curious about the acceptance of a resume for "Rainbow Smith", "Renegade Lee Harris", or "Odin Howard"; three names of white people I know (last names changed to protect their anonymity).

That wasn't the study I linked.

That wasn't the study I linked.

You didn't link any study in the post I've been responding to.

Please re-link, if you don't mind, so I don't have to go back through the thread searching for it.

Also, before I dig into that study, which I will, can you tell me if it accounts for any of the issues I described about the other study?

You didn't link any study in the post I've been responding to.

Please re-link, if you don't mind, so I don't have to go back through the thread searching for it.

Also, before I dig into that study, which I will, can you tell me if it accounts for any of the issues I described about the other study?

Serious question: do you really think there is nothing to this?