National Anthem (Cameron Jefferson)

bmur66

• Replies 686
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How much money is he asking for?

You just moved the goal posts. You justified his not being in the league due to his talent, and that's clearly not the case.

I have no idea what he wants financially, I'm just pointing out that he'd represent a sizable upgrade to the starting QB spot for either the Jets or Jags.

Edited by jrober38

You just moved the goal posts. You justified his not being in the league due to his talent, and that's clearly not the case.

I have no idea what he wants financially, I'm just pointing out that he'd represent a sizable upgrade to the starting QB spot for either the Jets or Jags.

Next it'll be "Does he even want to play football?" as if Dan Orlovsky put out a page-long plea in the local newspaper urging a team to sign him.

Firstly, no, I didn't. I'm a different poster than the one you originally responded to.

Secondly, does money demanded and how that compares to his talent not factor into whether he gets signed or not?

It's absolutely a fallacy. In fact, it's the definition of a particular fallacy.

The effort used to discredit Brown is a fairly disgusting tactic used to silence or discredit opposition, and in this case is being used to "keep Brown on the plantation".

You see, Jim Brown has committed a thought crime. He holds an improper position for a black man, and therefor must be brought to heel. The problem is, that there is no logical critique of Browns position which would circumvent debate, and Browns opposition isn't interested in debate. They are interested only in crowning themselves from a position of moral superiority (which they lack), without having to go through the process of having their views vetted, and having to defend their positions from others.

So instead they engage in personal attacks, and say that Brown shouldn't be listened to because of some bad things he's done in the past. Never mind his decades of activism, and level of expertise and person experience with the subject. He must be silenced.

That's not how honest debate works.

I agree that him abusing women in the past does not circumvent his expertise in dealing with inner city poverty and at-risk youth outreach. However, I feel pretty comfortable saying there are a lot of people that come from a position of moral superiority to Jim Brown.

I am not with you, OP. In this country, there is no such thing as a mandatory "pledge of allegiance." Colin Kaepernick - and any player, black or white - is using his rights as an American to protest obvious racial inequality - as they see it. Whether or not we agree with what they do or how they do it is beside the point. They have a platform to be seen, and I absolutely love that there are some kids watching football games, seeing these players respectfully call attention to an injustice, and that these kids are then asking their parents or friends or going on the internet and finding out more about why the players are not standing up for the Anthem.

As a proud American who served in the Armed Forces, I believe that THIS IS WHAT I SERVED FOR. Not blind allegiance. We speak out and point out injustices and problems with our country. That's what being an American means.

When I see people protest - as is their right - I feel pride. Even if I don't agree with the reasons why someone may be protesting.

Is there anything less American than forcing people, that aren't breaking laws, to do something that they don't want to do?

ugh. For the second time in this thread. It is illegal!

It is illegal not to stand and face the flag during it's displaying during the national anthem.

Edited by Boyst62

Rising your fist in the air in a country that affords you the freedom and ability to play a game for potentially millions of dollars, not to mention college, scholarships and the whole nine yards?

I don't even understand WHY they are doing this anymore. It was because of the police situation, which as we all know affects white people too. Did you see the nurse video? Or the gal shot in Minnesota? Slavery? Confederate statues? WTF.

Maybe these "protesters" ought to look within their own demographics, which faces ridiculously high fatherless families and black on black violence before blaming the country that isn't perfect but is headed in the right direction.

So sick of the race pimps. Maybe this soon to be cut protester should spend some time with a veteran who lost a leg on an E4 salary before he raises his fist against who the hell knows.

Having said that, the heckler should be ashamed too and the player has every right to protest, as I have every right to call him what he is: Mindless.

I'm 100% sure he's a better player than TJ Yates.

I'm fairly certain he's better than every 3rd string QB across the league. Most backups as well, and possibly a couple starters (NY Jets, Jags).

He's unemployed almost entirely because of his protesting.

No, he's unemployed because he's not very good, and no one wants to waste their time on a demonstrative "not very good" player.

If you want people to overlook your bull ****, you have to achieve a certain level of quality for people to overlook it. That holds for any job.

Firstly, no, I didn't. I'm a different poster than the one you originally responded to.

Secondly, does money demanded and how that compares to his talent not factor into whether he gets signed or not?

It does, but none of us know how much money he wants so how can we have a proper discussion about that playing a part in his unemployment?

No, he's unemployed because he's not very good, and no one wants to waste their time on a demonstrative "not very good" player.

If you want people to overlook your bull ****, you have to achieve a certain level of quality for people to overlook it. That holds for any job.

As one who is in Kaep's corner, I agree with this.

If Kaep was a better QB, he'd be on a roster because it would be worth it to a team to put up with the bull **** that's going to come along with him.

The fact is that he's good ... but he's not good enough for it to be worth it ...

Yet.

Let the season play along and see if a contender's QB goes down and they have a crappy backup.

LOL

You just proved my point.

If you take away your comment of "no one wants to waste their time on a demonstrative not very good player" then he'd almost certainly have a job in the league.

He's been black balled because he took a stance. Stop trying to justify it for other bogus reasons.

Edited by jrober38

It does, but none of us know how much money he wants so how can we have a proper discussion about that playing a part in his unemployment?

well, let's start with why he is unemployed and if he actually is unemployed.

He is still getting paid by the niners, for one. And a lot of money

And he chose to leave his contract. A contract he was signed to and he is the very reason he is unemployed.

You're not very good at this.

Well he voluntarily left behind an 8 figure contract in San Fran...

well, let's start with why he is unemployed and if he actually is unemployed.

He is still getting paid by the niners, for one. And a lot of money

And he chose to leave his contract. A contract he was signed to and he is the very reason he is unemployed.

You're not very good at this.

Just because he's getting paid by the 49ers doesn't mean he's employed by them...

lol what's that?

I'll trust Cornel law school and even WikiLeaks and mostly my own schooling and boy scouts

actually there are, iirc

Many laws regarding the flag

https://en.m.wikiped...tates_Flag_Code

And from Cornell

https://www.law.corn...ode/text/36/301

Learned all this in boy scouts. Women can leave a hat in. Men are not permitted, the flag may not be left in the rain. Or out at night without a light

I just re read that article. My God it's wrong in many parts

Just because he's getting paid by the 49ers doesn't mean he's employed by them...

talk about shifting goal posts.

You brought up we need to discuss why he's unemployed eluding to the notion that it is because of his commotion on the state of the black Americans who came over on the ocion.

He's unemployed because she quit

Edited by Boyst62

I think every NFL players knows there are consequences for protesting the anthem. All they have to do is look at Colin Kaepernick and see that he's unemployed as a result of the stance he took.

The players might know now...but there are plenty here who seem to be confused on that topic. Freedom of speech simply means you can more or less say or symbolize whatever you want... It doesn't mean people can't hold what you do or say against you. They have the right to protest, people have the right to think they are dbags for doing so, and employers have the right to fire them or not hire them for doing so.

Hell, you can get fired for meaningless face book posts, or for no reason at all.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

The players might know now...but there are plenty here who seem to be confused on that topic.

The players definitely know.

I don't see how this could even be up for debate. Every player who kneels or puts their fist up is putting a bulls eye on their back, that could jeopardize their continuing employment at the NFL level.

I don't understand why they even play the national anthem before sporting events. What's the logic behind it?

The Olympics-- yes, I can see it. An NFL game-- huh?

An American game on American soil with 98 percent American players and owners making money off of American fans- seems logical to me.