National Anthem (Cameron Jefferson)

bmur66

That's his standard. There are no rules on how to perform an instrumental or vocalized version of the anthem and if someone deviates from his idea of what standard is that doesn't make it disrespectful. Now if someone does a Roseanne Barr, then I could see getting POed.

There are also no rules for standing, sitting or kneeling, or crossing one's heart, whilst the anthem is played.

Thank you for making my point, link boy.

Now hurry up and respond with nothing so you can add one to your post total.

Edited by Gugny

• Replies 686
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's his standard. There are no rules on how to perform an instrumental or vocalized version of the anthem and if someone deviates from his idea of what standard is that doesn't make it disrespectful. Now if someone does a Roseanne Barr, then I could see getting POed.

When people get PO'ed over the bad national anthems it is because you have have certain expectations about the anthem that you anticipate. You anticipate it is going to be a moving song that stirs the same emotions in you it always stirs.

When the person approaches the microphone and starts - "Oh say can you see...." in most American's guts little tiny butterflies start flapping their wings. Those butterflies flap harder and harder as the song progresses and ultimately release as the song finishes - kind of like a great emotional orgasm.

When the performer twists the song from tradition too much - it kills the boner. Know what I mean?

What guy doesn't get pissed when he is expecting to get laid and in stead ends up seeing a naked picture of Janet Reno?

When people get PO'ed over the bad national anthems it is because you have have certain expectations about the anthem that you anticipate. You anticipate it is going to be a moving song that stirs the same emotions in you it always stirs.

When the person approaches the microphone and starts - "Oh say can you see...." in most American's guts little tiny butterflies start flapping their wings. Those butterflies flap harder and harder as the song progresses and ultimately release as the song finishes - kind of like a great emotional orgasm.

When the performer twists the song from tradition too much - it kills the boner. Know what I mean?

What guy doesn't get pissed when he is expecting to get laid and in stead ends up seeing a naked picture of Janet Reno?

TBD is not your personal erotica site.

Do you seriously not think Janet Reno was kind of hot?

sorry doesn't bring out emotions in me Taps does that. For unity sake Id rather sing the shout song or in the old days the talking proud song before a game that helps unify the fans.

It's not about "conservative", it is about patriotism, love of the country and respect. These players little stunts do nothing for their cause. Their is a time and place for discussion of ideas. The National Anthem is about honoring our Country and remembering the cost of their freedom to act stupid. Peoples lives.

The key word in your diatribe is "our". There are many people in this country who doesn't want to share America with others. Matter of fact as I was driving down the street the other day a Caucasian woman yelled to me out her window to go back to your country. I initially was mad, then I laughed because she didn't know my ancestry. We were here 1st.

Edited by the skycap

There are also no rules for standing, sitting or kneeling, or crossing one's heart, whilst the anthem is played.

Thank you for making my point, link boy.

Now hurry up and respond with nothing so you can add one to your post total.

You name calling doesn't make your nonsense any more valid. It's exactly what weaklings do when they have nothing else. Well done.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

As an American in this country no one can be forced to stand for the flag in a respectful manner. Each person can do what ever the hell they want to. For me and my family we will stand, we will stay quiet or sing the words to the anthem and our hats will be off as we demonstrate reverence for this great land in which we live. If people want to sit, kneel, talk, or wear their hats during this time then so be it. Do I think they are idiots, yes! Do I think they are attention seekers, yes! Will I poke my buddy next to me after the anthem is over and say "look at those SOB's, yes!, but in the end they could do whatever they want. It is kind of like half the stadium that decides to get hammered beyond belief before they walk in to the stadium and then end up in fights, or they puke behind your seat, or they constantly bump in to you because they can't stand, or they get a DWI when they go home. I'm not their daddy. I can't tell them what to do and this is a free country. If you want to be an a$$hol# then be one. I may not like it but do your thing. I may not like you; I may not care to talk with you; and if I was an owner I may not have you on my team... But do your thing! You have the freedom to do what you please. Hell that is what this world has come to, everyone just doing their own thing, no unity, and no peace. Anyways, GO BILLS!

I'm just saying, man, if there's a standard for it than gugny's position isn't arbitrary by any means.

Yes, I'm sure Kaep and company are very upset about a blonde chick from SLC getting arrested for no good reason.

Oh, I see you're the type of person to give weight to the color of the victim. My mistake.

Then what should happen is a recording of the anthem that can be universally played such that people won't be offended and the country won't come tumbling down due to any deviation.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

The key word in your diatribe in "our". There are many people in this country who doesn't want to share America with others. Matter of fact as I was driving down the street the other day a Caucasian woman yelled to me out her window to go back to your country. I initially was mad, then I laughed because she didn't know my ancestry. We were here 1st.

Interesting. And on a related point - it strikes me as odd that we haven't seen the Kaep issue come up with baseball, where 30 percent of the players this year are foreign born. Would we get angry if they sit? Or would the anger be reserved for them kneeling, or not standing reverently, or whatever? None of this debate makes much sense when you take a closer look. That's why it's all about virtue signaling.

He's not speaking out about the Bills, the NFL or the country. He's peacefully protesting an injustice in this country. You can love this country and still acknowledge certain injustices. He's not doing anything wrong...

First of all, he's speaking to what he perceives to be injustices. That debate is far from over, and many, myself included, don't think these injustices are real.

That said, no, he does not have the right. He has the privilege, which can be denied to him at any time by his employer. If he had the right, no one could deny it to him. What he is doing is making a political statement, and he's using his employer as a platform to do so.

To give you an example of how far this can be curtailed, Curt Schilling, while he was playing in Boston, in a non-team related event, was prohibited from endorsing a Republican Presidential candidate as a member of the Red Sox. He was able to do it as long as no affiliations were mentioned because the owners of the team did not wish to lend their property to his cause.

Except that he is a member of a labor union, which is another right that many have fought and died for in this country. His union protects him against unreasonable and capricious actions by his employer, so yes, he does in fact have the right to silently protest during the playing of the national anthem.

Again, no he does not. See above.

Then what should happen is a recording of the anthem that can be universally played such that people won't be offended and the country won'y come tumbling down due to any deviation.

Na. There's probably at least one person in the stands who got a boner over each of these performances:

http://youtu.be/XffxvV1PAEI

Edited by PolishDave

First of all, he's speaking to what he perceives to be injustices. That debate is far from over, and many, myself included, don't think these injustices are real.

That said, no, he does not have the right. He has the privilege, which can be denied to him at any time by his employer. If he had the right, no one could deny it to him. What he is doing is making a political statement, and he's using his employer as a platform to do so.

To give you an example of how far this can be curtailed, Curt Schilling, while he was playing in Boston, in a non-team related event, was prohibited from endorsing a Republican Presidential candidate as a member of the Red Sox. He was able to do it as long as no affiliations were mentioned because the owners of the team did not wish to lend their property to his cause.

Again, no he does not. See above.

So, do you believe the Bills have the right to terminate him for his protest? If so, you could not be more wrong. There would be a union grievance filed immediately, and upheld. Your Curt Schilling example , if it's even true, which I doubt, proves nothing. And of course Schilling has demonstrated time and again that he is a complete moron.

Edited by mannc

actually there are, iirc

Many laws regarding the flag

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Flag_Code

And from Cornell

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/36/301

Learned all this in boy scouts. Women can leave a hat in. Men are not permitted, the flag may not be left in the rain. Or out at night without a light.

They are advisory rules.