National Anthem (Cameron Jefferson)

bmur66

What's more American than freedom of speech and freedom of expression?

Nothing.

And what is the very symbol of that freedom?

If you can't respect your flag and anthem for 2 frickin minutes of a 24 hour day once a week what can you respect? I know, nothing! McDermott wants to be respectful of his players disrespecting the flag. Yeah, whatever, that makes a lot of sense. These idiots need to go live somewhere else and disrespect their flag and see what happens to them! :wallbash: That US kid in Greece acted like an American disrespectful meathead and what happened to him. These idiots are so lucky to be Americans. Rest of the world doesn't play these disrespectful bull **** games.

That said, I do not agree with playing the anthem for every single sporting event. It's way to much. Should be played on special occasions only, i.e. super bowl, Indy 500, etc.

Flame away!

• Replies 686
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you can't respect your flag and anthem for 2 frickin minutes of a 24 hour day once a week what can you respect? I know, nothing! McDermott wants to be respectful of his players disrespecting the flag. Yeah, whatever, that makes a lot of sense. These idiots need to go live somewhere else and disrespect their flag and see what happens to them! :wallbash: That US kid in Greece acted like an American disrespectful meathead and what happened to him. These idiots are so lucky to be Americans. Rest of the world doesn't play these disrespectful bull **** games.

That said, I do not agree with playing the anthem for every single sporting event. It's way to much. Should be played on special occasions only, i.e. super bowl, Indy 500, etc.

Flame away!

If you don't agree with me, you can leave the country! America!

I believe most players have stated this has nothing to do with the military. Kaepernick sat at first (for 2 games before the media picked up on it). Then after speaking to someone who served in the military began kneeling.

I get why people get outraged by not respecting the anthem. I also know people have supported players who hit women and do a lot worse than kneel silently. How can people justify that? And I also know some of these people angry at the protestors would have told people in the civil rights movement to stop it and stay in their place.

I stand for the anthem and love this country. I couldn't care less what other people do. That's what America was founded on. Instead of complaining, do what you can to make the country better. It's also troubling that more fans would be ok with Joe Mixon on their team than Kaepernick. How do you explain that to your kids?

Actually, the country was founded on the idea that one way to make the country better is by complaining. The government is strictly prohibited from taking any action on someone for exercising his free speech right to complain. Your invective against complaining is simply un-American if you think the state should take any action.

If the NFL/Bills want to praise the federal govt for its actions it seems to me they should not be picking and choosing ho the feds view the anthem which is honoring citizen's rights to complain about government action.

The suggestion to bar complaining seems un-American to me.

Flame away!

Agree on your suggestion.., that being said its still symbol and I support ideals, not the symbols used to represent them.

Edited by North Buffalo

Flame away!

I agree. I see nothing respectful to the flag or the country to play the national anthem to a group of 80,000 people, half (Buffalo) or a quarter (other places) of whom are already totally wasted.

EDIT: I mentioned above that in Britain they used to play the anthem before movies. Why not? Why at sporting events? I went to a rodeo this summer: national anthem and special salutes (individually) to all branches of the armed services. I went to a few concerts: no national anthem anywhere. Why? I suspect it has more to do with the crowd itself wanting to feel good about itself. The rodeo crowd is a country crowd, with a much higher percentage of ex military. The non-country concert crowd is the opposite. So taking a step back, Kaep may be using the anthem to make a specific political point (a kind of Black Lives Matter thing), but the larger idea is this: "I am separate and apart from the kind of people who go to events where the national anthem is played." We have enough virtue signaling in this country already. We don't need to have it at sporting events. End the anthem.

Edited by The Frankish Reich

He's does not have the right to use his employment as a platform to do so, only the privilege, assuming his employer grants it. If he does so against his employers wishes, his employer has a right to deny him that platform, because the employer owns the platform, and he does not.

He's not speaking out about the Bills, the NFL or the country. He's peacefully protesting an injustice in this country. You can love this country and still acknowledge certain injustices. He's not doing anything wrong...

He's does not have the right to use his employment as a platform to do so, only the privilege, assuming his employer grants it. If he does so against his employers wishes, his employer has a right to deny him that platform, because the employer owns the platform, and he does not.

Sure he does. He has the right to do it, and the owners are free to exercise their rights. Just like they are with Kaepernick. And we all have the right to voice our opinions on all of it.

If you don't agree with me, you can leave the country! America!

:w00t:

Frankly, I get more offended when people sing the National Anthem like they're on American Idol and turn it into some crappy gospel song.

It doesn't preclude Jim Brown from having an opinion. I never intimated that he should be quiet on the subject.

Just pointing out that on moral issues, aligning yourself with him might be deemed as sub-optimal.

Hitler was a real people person and motivated an entire country. Castro was a champion of health care!

Neither did anything wrong.

Just re: the Kaepernick isn't good because he's vegan thing - plenty of athletes are vegan or vegan-ish and have great careers.

Arian Foster, Trent Williams, Tom Brady, Brandon Flowers, Tyrann Mathieu, Grady Jarrett, Demaryius Thomas, Brandon Mebane, Theo Riddick just to name a few.

Protein can come from all sorts of sources. As long as you're getting enough of it somehow, then you're fine.

Not campaigning here, just pointing out it's not a death sentence to an NFL career.

https://www.peta.org/blog/nfl-players-going-vegan/

I'll task you with explaining what Jim Brown's past transgressions have to do with his morality as relates to his stance on this issue?

He also dedicates his life these days to helping inner city youth escape the gang lifestyle. By your logic, wouldn't that automatically lend moral weight to his position?

Or perhaps people should stop engaging in logical fallacies, attempting to marginalize Brown's stance by bringing up completely unrelated issues.

Not all moral issues, negative and positive, are equal to each other. It's also incredibly subjective. Good for Jim that he's trying to do good for people with less than him. In my mind, the immoral behaviour that he's partaken in overshadows the good that he's done. Again, that's subjective because I've been around domestic violence myself. Others don't have to feel that way, the beauty of freedom of thought.

I don't agree that it's a fallacy that, on moral issues, we throw out the character of the person when looking at how we discuss/dissect their viewpoint. Their morality isn't what they say, it's what they do. Actions speaking louder than words. I do not trust the moral compass of Jim Brown but he still has the right to say/believe whatever he wants to.

Edited by Blokestradamus

Why should patriotism be mandatory in a free country? Why do you assume it's about drawing attention to yourself and not drawing attention to injustice? Why is it never a good time to bring these things up?

I really have no idea what these players are actually calling trying to call attention too. I just want to watch a football game without something that matters to me being dissed and turned into a racial thing or whatever. It's a real turn off.

Edited by bmur66

http://buffalonews.com/2017/08/31/cameron-jefferson-heckled-bills-fan-fist-roster-spot-remain-air/

It's the National Anthem. Stand and show your respect. It's not a time to call attention to yourself or whatever your individual cause is. This is probably the only time you will hear that guys name other than on the cut list. If you don't know what to do during the National Anthem look at Eric Wood in the photo.

I swear if any Bills player doesn't stand for the National Anthem and the team does nothing about it I will not support this team any longer.

Who is with me?

FU & STFU Edited by BurpleBull

Except that he is a member of a labor union, which is another right that many have fought and died for in this country. His union protects him against unreasonable and capricious actions by his employer, so yes, he does in fact have the right to silently protest during the playing of the national anthem.