National Anthem (Cameron Jefferson)

bmur66

I agree. I see nothing respectful to the flag or the country to play the national anthem to a group of 80,000 people, half (Buffalo) or a quarter (other places) of whom are already totally wasted.

EDIT: I mentioned above that in Britain they used to play the anthem before movies. Why not? Why at sporting events? I went to a rodeo this summer: national anthem and special salutes (individually) to all branches of the armed services. I went to a few concerts: no national anthem anywhere. Why? I suspect it has more to do with the crowd itself wanting to feel good about itself. The rodeo crowd is a country crowd, with a much higher percentage of ex military. The non-country concert crowd is the opposite. So taking a step back, Kaep may be using the anthem to make a specific political point (a kind of Black Lives Matter thing), but the larger idea is this: "I am separate and apart from the kind of people who go to events where the national anthem is played." We have enough virtue signaling in this country already. We don't need to have it at sporting events. End the anthem.

Disagree in regards to ending the anthem playing.

One reason to play the national anthem and a reason to honor our national flag before a very large sporting event - is to promote emotional solidarity and unity. Same reason for fly-by's .

If there was enough emotional solidarity (unity - a.k.a. we are all in this together) in this country, there would be less issues - like the very one the player is trying to make a statement about by raising his fist.

A country without enough national unity is a weak nation destined to be conquered or otherwise destroyed by other nations run by evil tyrants. In the grand scheme of things promoting emotional pride in your nation is a good thing assuming your country isn't being ran by an evil tyrant. And it is a constant reminder of the past that you are doomed to repeat if you forget about it.

Edited by PolishDave

• Replies 686
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What exactly is destroying it? How should it be sung? How long for each note? Is there a time limit? What are the rules for your national anthem sensibilities?

Try posting a twitter link about it. Maybe it'll register with you better.

Exactly. Who cares about issues that are bothering other people besides you? You are what makes this country great.

But to answer your question, it's racial injustice and police brutality.

Well, that's the narrow reason. But I view the entire thing through the lens of behavioral science. It's more virtue signaling than anything else. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtue_signalling That doesn't mean it's anything different for the people who stand at attention for the anthem; that's virtue signaling in the other direction. Better questions for Kaepernick and friends: 1. You are playing a game in London. The British National Anthem plays. Sit, stand, or take a knee? The British government is not without blame regarding racial injustice. Do you protest that? 2. You are on the Bills (!) and the Toronto "home" games are back. Sit, stand, kneel for the Canadian anthem? Why, or why not? 3. You resume your old career as a baseball pitcher. You are on the Yankees. It is the 7th inning stretch on a Sunday. God Bless America is being sung. Sit, stand, or kneel? 4. The Congressional Black Caucus invites you to a public rally on the Naitonal Mall. It begins with the National Anthem. Sit, stand, kneel? What if your hosts stand at attention? My guess is you haven't really thought any of this out. This is almost always the case with virtue signaling, unless it is done for expressly selfish motivations (e.g., "I am resigning from Trump's Business Roundtable" because I fear repercussions from his opponents if I don't)

I really have no idea what these players are actually calling trying to call attention too. I just want to watch a football game without something that matters to me being dissed and turned into a racial thing or whatever. It's a real turn off.

This is what they're protesting and it's important:

http://reason.com/blog/2017/09/01/every-cop-involved-in-the-arrest-of-this

http://buffalonews.com/2017/08/31/cameron-jefferson-heckled-bills-fan-fist-roster-spot-remain-air/

It's the National Anthem. Stand and show your respect. It's not a time to call attention to yourself or whatever your individual cause is. This is probably the only time you will hear that guys name other than on the cut list. If you don't know what to do during the National Anthem look at Eric Wood in the photo.

I swear if any Bills player doesn't stand for the National Anthem and the team does nothing about it I will not support this team any longer.

Who is with me?

Like it or not he is excercising his right to free speech. One of the things we take for granted in this great country of ours. Do that in North Korea and your in front of a firing squad. Enjoy leave it to beaver reruns on sundays. Definitely not with you. Edited by Billsmovinup

If you love America you stand united as one team one people. Their are plenty of places to address any issues, the national anthem is not one of them. It is more effective to petition your grievance or dispute in other places.

If there's one thing I really don't like, its other people telling me what I should do and how I should act. Show your pride how you want and don't tell me how to live my life. Or move to North Korea if that's how you like it, to use a common dumb line from people like you.

I know music for it was "borrowed" from a Brittish song about drinking.

I'm just saying, man, if there's a standard for it than gugny's position isn't arbitrary by any means.

This is what they're protesting and it's important:

http://reason.com/blog/2017/09/01/every-cop-involved-in-the-arrest-of-this

Yes, I'm sure Kaep and company are very upset about a blonde chick from SLC getting arrested for no good reason.

I revere and fly the flag 365 days per year and I always stand for the National Anthem with my hand tightly over my heart.

I also spent 20 years in uniform defending others' rights to do otherwise. We can't pick and choose which parts of the Constitution we approve of and which ones we don't. Some people do not and never will understand that truth.

Please note that my blood boils at disrespect for the flag as much as anyone.

This is exactly right. Well said.

I'm just saying, man, if there's a standard for it than gugny's position isn't arbitrary by any means.

That's his standard. There are no rules on how to perform an instrumental or vocalized version of the anthem and if someone deviates from his idea of what standard is that doesn't make it disrespectful. Now if someone does a Roseanne Barr, then I could see getting POed.

http://buffalonews.com/2017/08/31/cameron-jefferson-heckled-bills-fan-fist-roster-spot-remain-air/

It's the National Anthem. Stand and show your respect. It's not a time to call attention to yourself or whatever your individual cause is. This is probably the only time you will hear that guys name other than on the cut list. If you don't know what to do during the National Anthem look at Eric Wood in the photo.

I swear if any Bills player doesn't stand for the National Anthem and the team does nothing about it I will not support this team any longer.

Who is with me?

Don't care, don't care, don't care. Don't care about their faux outrage. Don't care about yours.

That's his standard. There are no rules on how to perform an instrumental or vocalized version of the anthem and if someone deviates from his idea of what standard is that doesn't make it disrespectful. Now if someone does a Roseanne Barr, then I could see getting POed.

it makes sense. In 26cb lens all things are open for an interpretation. A c sharp can be a dflat or a dog fart.

And words, heck, they don't need a meaning.

Edited by Boyst62