National Anthem (Cameron Jefferson)

bmur66

• Replies 686
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not all moral issues, negative and positive, are equal to each other. It's also incredibly subjective. Good for Jim that he's trying to do good for people with less than him. In my mind, the immoral behaviour that he's partaken in overshadows the good that he's done. Again, that's subjective because I've been around domestic violence myself. Others don't have to feel that way, the beauty of freedom of thought.

I don't agree that it's a fallacy that, on moral issues, we throw out the character of the person when looking at how we discuss/dissect their viewpoint. Their morality isn't what they say, it's what they do. Actions speaking louder than words. I do not trust the moral compass of Jim Brown but he still has the right to say/believe whatever he wants to.

It's absolutely a fallacy. In fact, it's the definition of a particular fallacy.

The effort used to discredit Brown is a fairly disgusting tactic used to silence or discredit opposition, and in this case is being used to "keep Brown on the plantation".

You see, Jim Brown has committed a thought crime. He holds an improper position for a black man, and therefor must be brought to heel. The problem is, that there is no logical critique of Browns position which would circumvent debate, and Browns opposition isn't interested in debate. They are interested only in crowning themselves from a position of moral superiority (which they lack), without having to go through the process of having their views vetted, and having to defend their positions from others.

So instead they engage in personal attacks, and say that Brown shouldn't be listened to because of some bad things he's done in the past. Never mind his decades of activism, and level of expertise and person experience with the subject. He must be silenced.

That's not how honest debate works.

My uncle played golf with a guy whose 3rd cousin's sister dated the aunt of one of the Bills laundry attendants in the early 60s. He heard that Cookie Gilchrest was a kneeler. Should we keep him off the Wall?? I have no link.

I think every NFL players knows there are consequences for protesting the anthem. All they have to do is look at Colin Kaepernick and see that he's unemployed as a result of the stance he took.

He's also not that good.

People forget that part: he's just not that good.

He's also not that good.

People forget that part: he's just not that good.

I'm 100% sure he's a better player than TJ Yates.

I'm fairly certain he's better than every 3rd string QB across the league. Most backups as well, and possibly a couple starters (NY Jets, Jags).

He's unemployed almost entirely because of his protesting.

Edited by jrober38

My uncle played golf with a guy whose 3rd cousin's sister dated the aunt of one of the Bills laundry attendants in the early 60s. He heard that Cookie Gilchrest was a kneeler. Should we keep him off the Wall?? I have no link.

Found the link for ya.

Which one of these guys is your uncle?

6dbf72582ca5769ebdeee1817906f10f.jpg

Exactly. Who cares about issues that are bothering other people besides you? You are what makes this country great.

But to answer your question, it's racial injustice and police brutality.

This is what they're protesting and it's important:

http://reason.com/blog/2017/09/01/every-cop-involved-in-the-arrest-of-this

First, let me say that I supported Colin Kaepernick in how he chose to protest what he perceived (and stil perceives) to be racial injustices in this country. I wish he and others would have chosen a different venue; however, I still support their right to protest how they choose. The point I want to make in this post is that we need to be careful not to cross the boundary from recognizing true instances of racial injustice into a broad brush condemnation of an entire profession. I spent eight years in the military (criminal justice field), 23 years as a law enforcement officer, and the last eight years as a consultant, primarily in murder cases/trials. So, I have spent 39 years- pretty much my entire adult life within the criminal justice system, primarily as a public servant. I have seen a tremendous amount of change (for the better) within that system, in regard to issues of racism - much as I have seen in society in general. Having conducted my share of civil rights investigations, I am well aware that law enforcement has it's share of bad apples, much like the society they represent. I have no use for those who engage in behaviors that tarnish the badges they wear, and especially those who cross the line into criminal behavior. Those people certainly exist - and I have personally been involved in the arrests, prosecutions, and convictions of a number of those types of law enforcement officers. However, I will say that the vast majority of law enforcement officers in this country are decent men and women who serve the public in the best way they can under ever increasingly difficult circumstances. This idea that there is an institutionalized racism that pervades the criminal justice field, and the rank and file of law enforcement officers in particular, is representative of the same type of thinking that is at the root of racism itself and every other maladaptive view point that begins with blanket assumptions of an entire group of people. Recognize wrong when you see it, oppose it with all you have, and don't let the wrongs of a few cloud the lens through which you view the entire group.

Edited by billsfan1959

Here is a video you kneelers can practice on. There are even a bunch of hands in the air (although they are holding small American flags)

Make sure there is nobody like me around when you do this though. I don't want you to be uncomfortable.

I'm 100% sure he's a better player than TJ Yates.

I'm fairly certain he's better than every 3rd string QB across the league. Most backups as well, and possibly a couple starters (NY Jets, Jags).

He's unemployed almost entirely because of his protesting.

How much money is he asking for?

This post was actually edited. Really makes you wonder what kind of brilliance was left on the cutting room floor.

He probably wrote STHU and decided he was angier than that.

Sometimes I imagine posters here are a lot like Octavius and Jedediah. "Summon the apparatus!"

He started out just saying STFU

Then he upgraded the post by adding the FU part.

I noticed that. I hit "reply" to the STFU post, but then when it appeared I discovered I was replying to "FU. STFU." This bothered me because I'm sure my reply to the added FU part would have been far more clever. The level of discourse continues to rise around here.

It's absolutely a fallacy. In fact, it's the definition of a particular fallacy.

The effort used to discredit Brown is a fairly disgusting tactic used to silence or discredit opposition, and in this case is being used to "keep Brown on the plantation".

You see, Jim Brown has committed a thought crime. He holds an improper position for a black man, and therefor must be brought to heel. The problem is, that there is no logical critique of Browns position which would circumvent debate, and Browns opposition isn't interested in debate. They are interested only in crowning themselves from a position of moral superiority (which they lack), without having to go through the process of having their views vetted, and having to defend their positions from others.

So instead they engage in personal attacks, and say that Brown shouldn't be listened to because of some bad things he's done in the past. Never mind his decades of activism, and level of expertise and person experience with the subject. He must be silenced.

That's not how honest debate works.

Undoubtedly, that tactic will be employed by some people. I just hope that you're not accusing me of doing so.

I read that story and maybe he didn't hear the story that Kaepernick admitted when he was demonstrating his legal right to do what he did, he stated in an interview he never heard a more aggressive negative response from Bills fans.

He is a back up at best. He probably should have just tried to go to another team at that moment. That doesn't mean he doesn't have the right to do it, but simply it's stupid when you are assuring you're going to get cut.