Anquan Boldin:Bills don’t have “diva mentality” in WR room

YoloinOhio

http://buffalonews.com/2017/08/15/bills-boldin-not-diva-mentality-receiver-room/

The remaining pass-catchers, most of whom are new to the team, don't provide that sort of splash the Los Angeles Rams acquired in last Friday's trade with the Bills. They're steady, workmanlike individuals who won't, as Watkins did early in the 2015 season, ever go to the media to demand more touches.

And no one personifies that approach more than the oldest and most decorated of the newcomers, 15-year veteran Anquan Boldin.

"There's definitely not that diva mentality in our receiver room," Boldin said after Tuesday's practice, the last of the summer at the Bills' St. John Fisher College training camp. "We have guys that are willing to do whatever it is that the coaches ask, whether that be blocking, running a clear-out route or going across the middle, taking a big hit and making a catch.

"We have guys that are willing to do whatever it takes. That's the kind of guys that you want to work with, work along side of, because with the game on the line, you can count on them."

Was the poster who said Boldin and Watkins were yapping at each other during game on Thurs. ever validated? Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://buffalonews.com/2017/08/15/bills-boldin-not-diva-mentality-receiver-room/

Was the poster who said Boldin and Watkins were tapping at each other during game on Thurs. ever validated?

It was me. Boldin and Sammy where in a very animated discussion on the sideline.

Murphy even said so on the radio broadcast. I am not sure though what that discussion was about ever came out.

But looking at them it seemed pretty heated at the time

Between Boldin's and McD's comments on WRs, a bad picture of Sammy is being painted. Sounds like they wanted him out.

I mean what are they going to say? Should Boldin say he would have stayed retired than play on a team that traded 2 of their better players? Do you think he cares about draft picks?

And of course, McD is going to say stuff to back up the GM he hired.

I mean what are they going to say? Should Boldin say he would have stayed retired than play on a team that traded 2 of their better players? Do you think he cares about draft picks?

And of course, McD is going to say stuff to back up the GM he hired.

Sure, it could be that these are just text book answers. No need to read into them.

That's not as fun, though

If Watkins was here, Boldin would be talking about Sammy being one of the best WRs he played with.

In terms of WRs, Sammy is about as low key of a diva as there is. You can have the nicest guys in the world but you still need talent.

talking about the fans being losers and having "little jobs" while putting up average numbers for a #1 then talking about how your next contract is going to set the market is a low key prima donna?

Edited by jeremy2020

talking about the fans being losers and having "little jobs" while putting up average numbers for a #1 then talking about how you're next contract is going to set the market is a low key prima donna?

Dont you know Watkins was Moss like. I mean all over one thread he is being compared to moss. Lol.

talking about the fans being losers and having "little jobs" while putting up average numbers for a #1 then talking about how you're next contract is going to set the market is a low key prima donna?

Don't forget complaining to local media he doesn't get enough targets. He's very immature and doesn't understand the team-first attitude McDermott is trying to instill. And I still don't believe he really wanted to come back.

http://buffalonews.com/2017/08/15/bills-boldin-not-diva-mentality-receiver-room/Was the poster who said Boldin and Watkins were yapping at each other during game on Thurs. ever validated?

Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

This is what none of us will probably ever know - what went on in the locker room, meetings, practiced, sidelines etc etc.

I'm not saying Sammy was a problem. Just that we really don't know what went on behind closed doors.

There is some evidence of him being a bit of a "diva" and "me first" type receiver (which I do think is common with many great WR's).

But if you look at the type of receivers this new coaching staff has acquired -going after Maclin, getting Boldin, Zay Jones, Jordan Matthews - they clearly value high character, team first type guys. Guys who have all said "I don't care how they use me, I just want to help the team win" (not that Sammy didn't want the same thing).

It was me. Boldin and Sammy where in a very animated discussion on the sideline.

Murphy even said so on the radio broadcast. I am not sure though what that discussion was about ever came out.

I brought it up to, but was listening to the game live on WGR and didn't get the visual confirmatiion.

also heard mention of Taylor throwing Watkins open, but Watkins getting tangled up in defenders.

Within 24 hours he'll be clarifying that he was not referring to Sammy.

Zay too

In our room, there's no entitlement," second-round draft pick Zay Jones said. "I don't think anyone feels entitled, starting with Anquan. He's the most decorated and prestigious receiver in the room, and he comes to work just like all of us. His work habits are unbelievable and that's something that I look at and really feed off of."

And then factor in Shady's comments where he said that Sammy has been a superstar his whole life, and never really had a mentor to show him how to do things the right way...

There is definitely some smoke here.

Shady was relating to Sammy with that answer. Not the same context. Saying he knows how Sammy feels, getting traded for someone who's not nearly as good. (Shady actually jabbed at EJ Gaines there, lol)

Shady was the same way. Outstanding talent who found it hard to respect anyone else's advice.

And then factor in Shady's comments where he said that Sammy has been a superstar his whole life, and never really had a mentor to show him how to do things the right way...

There is definitely some smoke here.

i feel like he can learn a lot from Tavon Austin. Wait...

That was a good article. It really gives you an idea of what the Bills plan is for team building -

'It's the exact configuration coach Sean McDermott believes is necessary for success. He wants players who place winning ahead of their own statistics.

So far, that has been reflected in all of the moves McDermott and General Manager Brandon Beane have made in their major roster upheaval.

"We’re building a team, we’re not accumulating talent," the coach said. "We’re building a team and that comes down to roles, it comes down to chemistry, it comes down to camaraderie, and it comes also down to unselfishness. That’s the qualities we are looking for in our football players."

This is definitely a different approach to what Whaley took. Him being a scout, he valued talent over everything else. He just wanted to get the best player available. McDermott and Beane want to build a true team. No player is above the team. It's a very Belichick like approach.

That was a good article. It really gives you an idea of what the Bills plan is for team building -

'It's the exact configuration coach Sean McDermott believes is necessary for success. He wants players who place winning ahead of their own statistics.

So far, that has been reflected in all of the moves McDermott and General Manager Brandon Beane have made in their major roster upheaval.

"Were building a team, were not accumulating talent," the coach said. "Were building a team and that comes down to roles, it comes down to chemistry, it comes down to camaraderie, and it comes also down to unselfishness. Thats the qualities we are looking for in our football players."

This is definitely a different approach to what Whaley took. Him being a scout, he valued talent over everything else. He just wanted to get the best player available. McDermott and Beane want to build a true team. No player is above the team. It's a very Belichick like approach.

Yes that is typically what the Pats have done. Still need our QB though. Still hope TT does well this year regardless, I like the guy.

Well Sammy is gone, Boldin probably won't be here next season and nobody in the current WR core has earned the right to be diva or much of anything else right now. I don't see this as a good thing.

diva and unselfish don't go together well

I watched that interview and I didn't get that he was referring to Watkins at all. The interviewer asked if the WR group was a "workman" like group vs an "I'm a star" type group and Boldin just said there isn't a diva like mentality.

Edited by CNY315

Probably just Quan being Quan. Remember this???