The Plan (Kirk Cousins)

SectionC3

As best I can discern this is the plan following the events of this week. Perhaps the future of the Bills is linked with that of Kirk Cousins (and, arguably, a combination of Marcus Mariota and Jared Goff).

1. Cut the trio of Holmes/Davis/Ducasse (at this point none is essential) to secure extra third round pick in 2018.

2. Shop Ragland for mid-round pick.

3. Attempt to win in 2017 with Tyrod at QB.

4. Use 2017 to build culture; determine who wants to be here, who does not, and who are the bad seeds (if any) who need to be removed.

5. If Tyrod is not the long-term answer at QB, then attempt to secure QB through FA. Top (and perhaps only) targets are Kirk Cousins and Jimmy Garropolo.

6. If successful, apply 2018 draft capital in part to build team quickly, and in part to selectively move down to secure additional selections in future years.

7. If unsuccessful in obtaining QB through free agency, hope that (a) a team other than NYJ, Cleveland, and SF (all of which are likely to draft QB) holds one of the first three picks, and (b) attempt to trade for that pick using draft capital. Perhaps the Rams having an awful year, and Marcus Mariota playing well, is a reasonable hope for this. In the alternative, hope that Kirk Cousins signs in SF, or Garropolo in CLE, or both, and then attempt to trade for such pick using draft capital.

8. If neither path to a QB is available, and if not at the top of the draft, select perhaps a second-tier QB (e.g., Lamar Jackson, Mason Rudolph, etc.) with one first-round pick, hope for the best, and continue to build as outlined in step 6.

9. Win. A lot. And especially 2x year against NE.

Edited by SectionC3

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

#9 won't happen if you take Lamar Jackson to be your answer at QB

I'm not a fan, either. I'd rather have Tyrod. But with what they've done in the past few months they can afford to swing and miss on a guy like that. McD and Beane are smart and, provided they draft successfully, we are well-positioned for the future.

What if San Fransisco takes the #1 pick in the draft. Washington had tagged cousins again. Washington trades their first and cousins to San Fran for the #1 overall pick. They take a Qb, then are followed by jets, Browns, jags.

I don't see any team who holds the #1 overall pick passing on Darnold in order to land Cousins.

I don't see any team who holds the #1 overall pick passing on Darnold in order to land Cousins.

That's your first thought. My first thought is Washington would have to be one of the stupidest teams in history to tag Cousins a third time instead of just giving him a deal to begin with. I think a third tag would cost them 32+ mil fully guaranteed.

Everybody who hopped on the trade Ragland train is missing one thing...

If he really is that bad that we have to trade him, nobody is going to give us anything of value for him

Especially not a mid round pick

If he's shipped out it will be for a 6th or 7th and I'd rather just have the depth

If he really is that bad that we have to trade him, nobody is going to give us anything of value for him

If he's shipped out it will be for a 6th or 7th and I'd rather just have the depth

We should try to swing him for a player like when we landed Hughes for Sheppard.

Section -

I like what you're saying. Makes sense to me.

My only addition would be if the Bills don't get a free agent qb and don't get a qb in the draft, I think the Bills will trade some of their 2018 picks to reposition for 2019 draft.

What happened to the Darnold will say in school crowd ?

I don't think he will, but good question. Darnold would be stupid to stay in school if he meets expectations this season. I would hope he learned something from fellow USC QB Barkley.

Allen or Darnold are the two franchise type qbs coming out next year. Others have more to prove like Rudolph, and others are overrated right now Rosen and Jackson.

I like Luke Falk as well. Jackson is the bust of this draft. He'll either change position or end up like Tebow.

I don't think he will, but good question. Darnold would be stupid to stay in school if he meets expectations this season. I would hope he learned something from fellow USC QB Barkley. I like Luke Falk as well. Jackson is the bust of this draft. He'll either change position or end up like Tebow.

Darnold will stay. He is only a redshirt sophomore. Even luck stayed til redshirt jr year.

Barkley was a 6'1 noodle armed QB. Darnold is 6'4 and a legit nfl prospect, they are nothing alike and it won't hurt Darnold to go back 1 more year

Darnold will stay. He is only a redshirt sophomore. Even luck stayed til redshirt jr year.

Barkley was a 6'1 noodle armed QB. Darnold is 6'4 and a legit nfl prospect, they are nothing alike and it won't hurt Darnold to go back 1 more year

Barkley would have been a number one pick if he didn't stay too long. Even Darnold runs that risk. Injuries are always a concern as well. I'm not saying that you're incorrect, I just think that it wouldn't be in his best interest to stay.

The Cardinals have had better QBs the last 10 years and they didn't draft any of them. Same could even said for New Orleans.

Meanwhile the Jaguars and Clowns pulled what many on here want to and didn't win more than 4 games for 4 years.

yeah but they don't just trade good players just to pick their own. It's called coaching up talented players.The Jags just haven't had the right coach. But they are talented. The Bills trade or let go of talented players. You'll never win that way.

Barkley would have been a number one pick if he didn't stay too long. Even Darnold runs that risk. Injuries are always a concern as well. I'm not saying that you're incorrect, I just think that it wouldn't be in his best interest to stay.

Barkley was NEVER GOING #1.

Pundits can say anything they want... their pundits

He got drafted right where he belonged... no nfl scout had a 1st round grade in Barkley. That was all combine talk.

No QB 6'2 or shorter has been drafted 1st overall in a long long time

Last was Vick I believe who is in a class of super athlete by himself

Edited by Buffalo716

Scout, Draft and develop your Own QB. Teams do not let top end QBs go in UFA.

Why is it Bills fans always want to pay big money to AVG

Because that is the nature of the Small Market Team The only way they can entice someone to play for you is

a) Promising a Starting Job to a backup

B) Paying the highest salary at a position to a player who is not a top-3

Unless the small market team can hit it with their own draft picks they will always struggle. Small market teams have been good when their drafts worked out, our own beloved Bills included.

A big concern with Ragland is that he's a 3-4 ILB, not a 4-3 LB. He could legitimately have mid round pick value to a 3-4 team in need of a downhill, thumping ILB.

A big concern with Ragland is that he's a 3-4 ILB, not a 4-3 LB. He could legitimately have mid round pick value to a 3-4 team in need of a downhill, thumping ILB.

I also don't see Ragland excelling in a 4-3, he doesn't have the coverage ability that is needed to play the position. To me he is a faster version of B Spikes so he will only be playing in obvious run situations.

Section -

I like what you're saying. Makes sense to me.

My only addition would be if the Bills don't get a free agent qb and don't get a qb in the draft, I think the Bills will trade some of their 2018 picks to reposition for 2019 draft.

I actually see that as a possibility. I also see everyone focusing on 2 names or so at QB. Franchise QB's have been found lower than the top 3 picks. We just need a staff that can scout QB's worth a damn and I THINK we finally have one.

Edited by KellyToughII

Barkley filed for evaluation by the NFL's draft advisory board before deciding to return. He obviously didn't receive a grade he liked.

QB's are the hardest to predict.

Barkley filed for evaluation by the NFL's draft advisory board before deciding to return. He obviously didn't receive a grade he liked.

QB's are the hardest to predict.

I will admit that I'm not a Matt Barkley expert, so some of my details could be off. I just know that he could have entered the draft following a great college football season. Instead he entered the draft after a poor season. Teams are desperate for QB's these days. It's possible imo that someone might have reached early for him coming off a good season. He opted to stay in school which exposed all of his flaws. Injuries happen as well. I'm just going to say that if I were Darnold I'd enter the draft after this season. Far too many things can happen if he stays in school.