Nate Peterman Love .. anyone vs. 2018 QB draft??

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This.

He has good pocket presence. Not a statue and decent footwork.

This is a quick hitting passing attack which he seems capable of.

I don't think he's the second coming of Kelly but he has legitimate NFL skills. He's capable of functioning in an offense that doesn't have to be tailored to a unique skill set like Taylor.

In terms of McD, he has to give TT his shot but I don't think this lasts long.

Edited by Buffalo Boy

This.

He has good pocket presence. Not a statue and decent footwork.

This is a quick hitting passing attack which he seems capable of.

I don't think he's the second coming of Kelly but he has legitimate NFL skills. He's capable of functioning in an offense that doesn't have to be tailored to a unique skill set like Taylor.

In terms of McD, he has to give TT his shot but I don't think this lasts long.

Why does he have to give TT his shot? He sees both of these QBs on a daily basis and I am quite sure he knows what each is capable of. If Peterman is more capable of running this offense at this point than Tyrod is then he should put him in right now. They owe nothing to Taylor other than his pay.

Playing Peterman all season yields three distinct results:

1) Peterman pulls a Dak or a Wilson and plays lights out, earning his place as our franchise guy and allowing us to spend our plethora of picks on players that can fill holes, such as offensive linemen that aren't turnstiles, another first round DT to replace Kyle, or even another WR.

2) The Oline remains putrid and Peterman, while showing promise, is sacked to death like David Carr.

3) Peterman shows that he is merely a backup and the Bills roll to a high draft pick.

I love Tyrod; I think he can be electric when he can move the way he wants. The problem is that he seems to be hitting his ceiling, and the coaching staff is realizing this. Do we roll with NVP?

Edited by GhostsofBillsPast

Why does he have to give TT his shot? He sees both of these QBs on a daily basis and I am quite sure he knows what each is capable of. If Peterman is more capable of running this offense at this point than Tyrod is then he should put him in right now. They owe nothing to Taylor other than his pay.

Peterman still has some stuff to clean up , probably .

Seven year of experience does count for something but I agree the rookies skill set will win out.

1) Peterman pulls a Dak or a Wilson and plays lights out, earning his place as our franchise guy and allowing us to spend our plethora of picks on players that can fill holes, such as offensive linemen that aren't turnstiles, another first round DT to replace Kyle, or even another WR.

2) The Oline remains putrid and Peterman, while showing promise, is sacked to death like David Carr.

3) Peterman shows that he is merely a backup and the Bills roll to a high draft pick.

I love Tyrod; I think he can be electric when he can move the way he wants. The problem is that he seems to be hitting his ceiling, and the coaching staff is realizing this. Do we roll with NVP?

There is no losing scenario here👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

...as another poster pointed out, Spent Trent Edwards was anointed Buffalo's savior which worked out.....you know the rest......OBD has hardly been the "mecca for QB development" since Kelly era......Donohole rushed Losman into staring to justify what he gave up to draft him....Ej was thrown to the wolves after the "Kolb Mat Attack (had no concussed noodle left anyway)".....and we'll nenver know if either would have panned out as some serviceable QB level in the NFL.....Peterman has certainly shown some qualities in two pre-season games...at the same time, pre-season is the customary "vanilla" and hardly equates to "live ammo"......seeing the kid developed for the long haul versus throwing him to the wolves is my choice.....measure TT's performance in 4 game increments.......draft one in 2018 regardless as TT is due a $6 mil roster bonus in March 2018......

If at any point in the season McDermott is 100% sure we are drafting a QB high next year then he has to put Peterman in. How Peterman performs determines how much we need to be willing to give up for a QB next year. Until we are 100% sure Tyrod should stay in. Let's get this problem answered once and for all, someone will step up.

He doesn't look to be.

adjusting faster then QB's drafted before him in earlier rounds?

I haven't followed this years class of QB's close enough so If you take exception to my post I do value your opinion.

Peterman looks real comfortable and not the least bit intimidated though IMO.

Edited by Figster

adjusting faster then QB's drafted before him in earlier rounds?

I haven't followed this years class of QB's close enough so If you take exception to my post I do value your opinion.

Peterman looks real comfortable and not the least bit intimidated though IMO.

Here. He's had the most attempts of any rookie so far in preseason. That's the only thing he appears to be leading in. http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?seasonType=PRE&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=PASSING_PASSER_RATING&tabSeq=0&season=2017&Submit=Go&experience=0&archive=false&statisticCategory=PASSING&conference=null&qualified=false

TT Option does not get picked up

QB taken high in the draft

QB competition between Peterman and Rookie begins

What option? He has a two year contract. If they let him go he counts 8.6 mil against the cap. That's not the same as an option.

Peterman has many a thing to work on as any rookie QB does. I do agree with what some people have said - his footwork and pocket presence is impressive. That matters a lot. He's rushing through everything though, which is a natural tendency. Way too early to say if he's anything, but i've seen enough positives to not put a ceiling on him yet.

Peterman has many a thing to work on as any rookie QB does. I do agree with what some people have said - his footwork and pocket presence is impressive. That matters a lot. He's rushing through everything though, which is a natural tendency. Way too early to say if he's anything, but i've seen enough positives to not put a ceiling on him yet.

...that "voice of reason" stuff ain't gonna fly here.......go figure............

If what you say is true then the coach would have already made the switch. He has no reason not to. What you got is some preseason delusion. Peterman looked solid, but to think he is already better than Tyrod over a few good passes during preseason against weaker defenses is pretty silly.

Is have to agree here. I do think that Peterman has shown some good things during the preseason - enough to be cautiously optimistic that he might become a decent NFL QB, BUT he has been under MUCH less defensive pressure than Taylor has seen and that is a BIG deal.

I'm not trying to throw cold water on this thread, but I think many are waaaay ahead of things with Peterman.

Some fans are so desperate that they latch onto any QB that walks through the door.

It's amazing to me that a 5th Rounder already warrants time with the ones according to Bills fans.

Any old QB who walks in off the street immediately deserves his shot to prove he's the guy....

It happens when no one is sold on the guy who is supposed to be the starter.

Some fans are so desperate that they latch onto any QB that walks through the door.

It's amazing to me that a 5th Rounder already warrants time with the ones according to Bills fans.

Any old QB who walks in off the street immediately deserves his shot to prove he's the guy....

And yet you are in other threads whining that the Bills didn't draft Mahomes or Watson. Stop with the draft position crap, it literally means nothing now. Have you actually watched these QBs play or are you just too concerned that it was a 5th sound pick?

Good post, thanks.

Pro system isn't the first thing I look for. Trubisky played in a spread but he's deadly accurate and reads the whole field. He was easily the best prospect in the draft. As opposed to someone like Mahomes who not only played in a spread system but also needs to revamp his mechanics.

But I think the bigger cliche than "pro system QB" is "drafting QBs is a crapshoot." I don't think that's true. You can at least whittle down the available prospects. It's easy. You avoid prospects whose scouting profiles read like this:

Those are EJ Manuel's and Paxton Lynch's draft profiles. Cardale Jones is the epitome of this type of QB and I'm struggling to think of a time when one has worked out. This year it's Deshone Kizer. Everyone likes him based on one preseason game but his mechanics and spotty accuracy will catch up to him. Pat Mahomes is a weird one because he has a big arm and he's even generally accurate but his mechanics are a mess, and he's not as accurate on the deep ball as his tape would have you believe. He's one of the few "strong, big arm" QBs I could see actually making it but he's more likely to become Jay Cutler than Brett Favre IMO.

And I don't agree when people say "1st round QBs are more likely to succeed." In recent years that hasn't really been true, because GMs keep taking the same crap prospects with "big arms" or guys that win the national championship as if that even remotely matters.

The success rate seems to still be about 50% for the top 2 picks, and everything else in the 1st round is well below 50%. I remember looking into this, and I found Derek Carr was the only QB taken between pick 3 and 35 that has any sort of success, since Aaron Rodgers was drafted in 2005. But these QBs keep getting taken. How can someone say it's a crapshoot when the statistics are right there? Don't waste mid-1st round picks on strong arms or "proven winners." Find decent accuracy and decent mechanics, that's the pool of QBs you should draft from. That's where the real crapshoot is, it's near impossible to tell which QBs from that pool will rise to the top. But you can literally just read draft profiles of some QBs and know they're not going to make it.

Cam Newton is why Jones and Manuel were drafted. That is why the draft is a crapshoot. Edited by Mat68

It's been that way since at least the Losman days.

What round was Tyrod drafted in?

Edited by old school

Yes, but you aren't acquiring all of these picks to build around him. You are going to go get your guy. Peterman isn't going to play this year and they aren't going to punt on next year's draft because of him. If Tyrod gets hurt or traded and Peterman lights it up -maybe. He isn't going to enter 2018 as the starter with 0 starts under his belt.

I'll guess NP gets out there this season mid-tank. TT will either not be all that productive or he'll get burned up/hurt running for his life with 8 in the box and no one to throw to. Either way, I don't see him making it through the season as the starter.

We seem basically to have two career backup QBs, but one is actually paid like a backup. the salary cap Decision is pretty simple, just as Sammy's was. So NP needs game reps so he can start next year while Darnold or Allen get ready to take over 2018 mid season (or so). My guess is the McBeane's have this as a contingency plan should the season tank early (odds are it will)... they are smart to stick with TT to start the season

gotta think long term; Brady ain't playin' til he's 45, he'll get laid out pretty soon as teams know that laying him out is the way to beat the Pats, plus he looks more immobile than ever. the power structure of the AFC East will be changing as long as the Bills don't screw up and go 6-10 or 7-9 this year. gosh I hope they don't screw this up.... a small market team unpopular with top FAs can only build through the draft.

then again, maybe they go out and tear it up and win the AFC East ! who knows? go bills

Edited by jmcraig44

I'll guess NP gets out there this season mid-tank. TT will either not be all that productive or he'll get burned up/hurt running for his life with 8 in the box and no one to throw to. Either way, I don't see him making it through the season as the starter.

We seem basically to have two career backup QBs, but one is actually paid like a backup. the salary cap Decision is pretty simple, just as Sammy's was. So NP needs game reps so he can start next year while Darnold or Allen get ready to take over 2018 mid season (or so). My guess is the McBeane's have this as a contingency plan should the season tank early (odds are it will)... they are smart to stick with TT to start the season

gotta think long term; Brady ain't playin' til he's 45, he'll get laid out pretty soon as teams know that laying him out is the way to beat the Pats, plus he looks more immobile than ever. the power structure of the AFC East will be changing as long as the Bills don't screw up and go 6-10 or 7-9 this year. gosh I hope they don't screw this up.... a small market team unpopular with top FAs can only build through the draft.

then again, maybe they go out and tear it up and win the AFC East ! who knows? go bills

IMO

IF the Bills have 3 or less wins at the week 9 mark and the offense just isn't getting it done .... I'd like to see the switch