Nate Peterman Love .. anyone vs. 2018 QB draft??

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All I can say is the offense in the last 2 preseason games needs a lot of work.

Fair enough?

Definitley. But from the looks of things they are running a lot of plays out of the same sets. Asking Tyrod to stay in the pocket, etc. The more worrying thing is the OL. They are getting absolutely demolished.

This is all nonsense. Preseason stats are less than meaningless. I care about stats when it's a real game with real planning and all the starters on the field.

You are right about stats but we are talking " Eye test" and one looks better than the other.

If the argument is against second team players than put Peterman in with the first string.

Edited by Buffalo Boy

I posted two images without comment. What do you think my opinion on these players are?

You actually didn't just post 2 pictures without comment. In the picture of Peterman you specifically mentioned that it was against 2nd and 3rd stringers followed by a "yikes". The Tyrod picture, of 2016, didn't need any comment because it was good. You are clearly trying to imply something whether you actually come out and say it or admit it.

If Tyrod's numbers against pressure for this pre-season aren't available then just say it. Otherwise it looks as though you're pushing an agenda.

Edited by Bangarang

You are right about stats but we are talking " Eye test" and one looks better than the other.

If the argument is against second team players than put Peterman in with the first string.

The eye test is useless in comparing QBs in preseason. Peterman plays with different players, against different players, even the play calls are different on both sides. To me the 2nd and 3rd defenses look a lot more vanilla than the defense Tyrod went against. That's not an indictment of Peterman, I like him a lot, but let's be realistic about what we're seeing. Peterman has developed well throughout training camp, he didn't look this good at the beginning. I'm in no hurry to rush his development by throwing him in the middle of a real game. At least give him half the season to sit on the bench and watch film, and then if things aren't going we'll see what he has.

The eye test is useless in comparing QBs in preseason. Peterman plays with different players, against different players, even the play calls are different on both sides. To me the 2nd and 3rd defenses look a lot more vanilla than the defense Tyrod went against. That's not an indictment of Peterman, I like him a lot, but let's be realistic about what we're seeing. Peterman has developed well throughout training camp, he didn't look this good at the beginning. I'm in no hurry to rush his development by throwing him in the middle of a real game. At least give him half the season to sit on the bench and watch film, and then if things aren't going we'll see what he has.

Ah, the voice of reason in the middle of an unseemly scrum. I would only add if Peterman is to be the backup he should get snaps with the first team O and against the first team D in case we need him.

This is all nonsense. Preseason stats are less than meaningless. I care about stats when it's a real game with real planning and all the starters on the field.

Of course, had we won the last 2 games by a combined score of 84 to 6, the usual Kool Aid Krowd would be talking about an undefeated season.

The realists would suggest that is insane as this is just the pre-season, and the Kool Aid Krowd would deride the realists asking if they have been watching the games.

That's how this place rolls.

:lol:

Edited by Fadingpain

...cannot agree more HD......Donohole threw Losman in LONG before he was ready, attempting to atone for giving up a ton to draft him......EJ also had a premature rocky start, again LONG before ready after the Kolb "Great Mat Attack (top 5 worst signing in Bflo history-guy's noodle was concussed beyond repair)............BUT...despite their starts, we will NEVER know if they may have developed to be top 10 or 15 QB's in a different environment...TT did have the better career start, sitting for 4 years as an understudy (too long or just right? again who knows).....vaild arguments on both sides as to whether TT's first two years starting in Bflo have been closer to "ideal" or a "long way from ideal (see other 12,483 threads and counting)"....injuries are NOT part of the argument because the other 31 deal with them regularly....BUT.....the coaching/OC/DC/playbook carousel certainly enters into it.....organizational instability throws any type of continuity and rhythm out the window.......so fairly, 2017 is a clean slate and his "make it or break it" year IMO..........

You actually didn't just post 2 pictures without comment. In the picture of Peterman you specifically mentioned that it was against 2nd and 3rd stringers followed by a "yikes". The Tyrod picture, of 2016, didn't need any comment because it was good. You are clearly trying to imply something whether you actually come out and say it or admit it.

If Tyrod's numbers against pressure for this pre-season aren't available then just say it. Otherwise it looks as though you're pushing an agenda.

You're right, I forgot I said Yikes, but I didn't really make any comment other than the obvious pressure was bad that anyone with half a brain would see. Edited by Chilly

why?

he isn't the starter. they don't give reps with the ones to the back up?

now, although very doubtful, maybe to appease the fans they'll demote taylor and allow peter to start the last two games. if my memory serves me, the starters don't even take a snap the last preseason game so they better do it next game then.

peter is the back up, he wont be practicing with the ones and all this hype so far is based off practice.

honestly, I would be curious to see how he fares with the ones. I bet it wouldn't be as good but hey, you never know. at this point though, there are some real mesmerized fans getting all giddy about the 5th round pick but history has always been that the back up for the bills is the star of the team.

unless of course you're speaking of thigpen.

Exactly. Jeff Tuel passed the eye test in preseason.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

+1. He's not ready at this point and likely will not perform as well as Tyrod did when under pressure last season. I'm also not convinced Tyrod will as well either.

I think we took any chance these QBs had of performing decent when we traded away Sammy. I'm curious to see what Peterman will grow into, but it's a horrible proposition for his development to throw him in at this point. Pressure will destroy a career and he's not ready.

TT throwing over the middle VS Peterman throwing over the middle.

Maybe Boldin should have broken his route in but it still looked like a chuck and hope the receiver helps me.

Petersen threw a perfect pass to O' Leary. A starter I presume O' Leary is?

In terms of giving him time to develope. I get it. But this term " Throwing him in" suggests that they are forcing him.

The D looks adequate and the run blocking is our strength.

Ball control and D are this years recipe regardless of who starts..... a good recipe for a rookie🤔

Edited by Buffalo Boy

He was playing against back ups in a vanilla system. He may be decent, but yesterday James Lofton on the Blitz made a good point that Dennison is forcing TT to stay in the pocket, focus on quick releases and working the middle. He did that pretty well. In week 1. He expects Dennison to have a ton of designed roll out plays which places pressure on opposing LB's especially if Shady is out side of him so he can pitch it, run it, or throw to Clay, Bolton, or Jones.

Too early to tell on TT. If TT sucks in the first four games, I'm fine with a change, but give him a chance while Peterson learns how to make adjustments, read shifts in defense and can call audibles.

He'll need at least 4-6 games to learn those things.

Bolton? No wonder we lost! We had Tyrod throwing to this guy:

michael-bolton-mullet.xlarge.jpg

Edited by ROCBillsBeliever

I said way back in January keep an eye on Peterman. His pro style college tape looked very good. Throws receivers open. Quick release. Can read defense. Only QB to beat Clemson. When we drafted him I nearly lost it. I think Bills fans will be pleasantly surprised by Nate.

When you look at the results from when Peterman is blitzed and pressured it bring you back to reality.

In a real game Taylor can dodge would be tacklers and blast through the 1st line of Defense like he's been shot out of a cannon.

Preseason is the time to work on parts of your game and throwing from the pocket is a must improve area for the WCO to function properly under T Mobile (please remain in the pocket)

I said way back in January keep an eye on Peterman. His pro style college tape looked very good. Throws receivers open. Quick release. Can read defense. Only QB to beat Clemson. When we drafted him I nearly lost it. I think Bills fans will be pleasantly surprised by Nate.

....here is the poor kid's death knell........Chuckie Gruden crowned him as the ""best NFL ready QB I've seen in years".......of course, all 67 QB's in the 2017 draft earned A+ grades from Chuckie......and then Mel "Brylcream" Kiper anointed him as the "most likely next Tom Brady of the 2017 draft".....uh oh.....harken back to Jaws' drool about "Losman's intelligence with the football" followed by "Trent Edwards IS the real deal" yips.....so called "experts" ala Mel, Chuckie & Jaws, a/k/a Moe, Larry & Curly are Bflo's profound jinx........then again, OBD has NEVER been the "mecca of QB development" either.....

....here is the poor kid's death knell........Chuckie Gruden crowned him as the ""best NFL ready QB I've seen in years".......of course, all 67 QB's in the 2017 draft earned A+ grades from Chuckie......and then Mel "Brylcream" Kiper anointed him as the "most likely next Tom Brady of the 2017 draft".....uh oh.....harken back to Jaws' drool about "Losman's intelligence with the football" followed by "Trent Edwards IS the real deal" yips.....so called "experts" ala Mel, Chuckie & Jaws, a/k/a Moe, Larry & Curly are Bflo's profound jinx........then again, OBD has NEVER been the "mecca of QB development" either.....

Gruden does dish out the praise in shovels full, but as a former HC I think Gruden realizes how important it is for these guys to have confidence going forward into the NFL. Gruden does not want to hurt a players draft status.

The best NFL ready QB he's seen in years is not something Chuckie tosses out on a regular basis IMO.

Through two preseason outings, with admitted mixed results, one thing about Peterman has given me hope for the kid and I went back and watched the entire Pitt Clemson game to make sure. Nothing seems to rattle him. Throughout the Clemson game and what we've seen so far this year it's the one constant. He plays whistle to whistle, then moves on, no panic, and executes the plan he's given. I guess the expression steady under fire covers it. Got to believe his ceiling is high.

Through two preseason outings, with admitted mixed results, one thing about Peterman has given me hope for the kid and I went back and watched the entire Pitt Clemson game to make sure. Nothing seems to rattle him. Throughout the Clemson game and what we've seen so far this year it's the one constant. He plays whistle to whistle, then moves on, no panic, and executes the plan he's given. I guess the expression steady under fire covers it. Got to believe his ceiling is high.

Gruden does dish out the praise in shovels full, but as a former HC I think Gruden realizes how important it is for these guys to have confidence going forward into the NFL. Gruden does not want to hurt a players draft status.

The best NFL ready QB he's seen in years is not something Chuckie tosses out on a regular basis IMO.

....Chuckie is a card.....don;t think he ever had less than six QB's in camp with TB.......BUT....I applaud his focal point on the QB spot and its importance, something that OBD is a woeful failure at since Kelly.....Hell, even the Rockpile Beerman ranks higher in priority than the QB position.....maybe HE should be invited to try out......22 for 27 tossing cans of Blue is a good completion percentage, right??...

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

High Ceiling? As in a potential franchise QB who can carry a team and make players around him better?

....Chuckie is a card.....don;t think he ever had less than six QB's in camp with TB.......BUT....I applaud his focal point on the QB spot and its importance, something that OBD is a woeful failure at since Kelly.....Hell, even the Rockpile Beerman ranks higher in priority than the QB position.....maybe HE should be invited to try out......22 for 27 tossing cans of Blue is a good completion percentage, right??...

Me to OldTimer, I'm a fan of Gruden, his passion for the game is contagious. :thumbsup:

...cannot agree more HD......Donohole threw Losman in LONG before he was ready, attempting to atone for giving up a ton to draft him......EJ also had a premature rocky start, again LONG before ready after the Kolb "Great Mat Attack (top 5 worst signing in Bflo history-guy's noodle was concussed beyond repair)............BUT...despite their starts, we will NEVER know if they may have developed to be top 10 or 15 QB's in a different environment...TT did have the better career start, sitting for 4 years as an understudy (too long or just right? again who knows).....vaild arguments on both sides as to whether TT's first two years starting in Bflo have been closer to "ideal" or a "long way from ideal (see other 12,483 threads and counting)"....injuries are NOT part of the argument because the other 31 deal with them regularly....BUT.....the coaching/OC/DC/playbook carousel certainly enters into it.....organizational instability throws any type of continuity and rhythm out the window.......so fairly, 2017 is a clean slate and his "make it or break it" year IMO..........

If you got you got it, if you don't you don't. No amount of seasoning on the bench was going to help those two.

If you got you got it, if you don't you don't. No amount of seasoning on the bench was going to help those two.

Would Brady not have become Brady?

Look at Steve Young start in the NFL.

The cream rises to the top if you let it.

Edited by Buffalo Boy

....hindsight is a beautiful thing and NOW supports your post assessment career views for both..they both flamed out and both were under lousy circumstances on the surface irrespective of their professed abilities...so now we're in the FINAL chapter to see if TT has IT under Dennison......at the same time, I do NOT subscribe with rushing the Peterman kid "to market" because we are desperate to break the playoff schneid on his back....