Nate Peterman Love .. anyone vs. 2018 QB draft??

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does it make more sense to judge what a 6-year vet can do in the NFL based on what he's done over the course of 2 regular seasons as a starter, or based on what he's done in 2 quarters of a preseason?

IF We have to compare the two we should do so with the same system.

Logic would dictate it.

Tell you what: name 5 things that Peterman has proven he can do better than Tyrod at the NFL level.

1. read defenses
  2. throws with anticipation
  3. throws into coverage
  4. hits his target in stride
  5. steps up into the pocket

I meant to be sarcastic, but damn that was easy

Watching the all 22 shows Tyrod isn't ready to start Sept.10

OUCH

Once again, its Preseason! :doh:

CORRECT.

Yet we see people complaining about 50% from a ROOKIE and not see them mentioning TT's 53%.

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

1. read defenses
  3. throws into coverage

Let's set aside for a moment the fact that every one of those is an eye-test metric, and that none of them can be quantified or supported by fact.

That said, let me get this straight: Peterman has somehow proven to you, in his 3 quarters of preseason action against 2's and 3's running base defensive schemes, that he does all of those things better than Tyrod? Furthermore, it is your opinion that the eye-test performed on those traits (by you) should supersede what Tyrod has done over 2 years as a starter?

You cannot seriously think that that's a logical position to take.

Look, I'm not exactly the type to stump for Tyrod, but good grief. You want to replace a guy that's got a 15-14 record as a starter (despite playing on a team with a hugely-underachieving defensive unit) and has proven that he can lead a top-10 scoring offense while minimizing turnovers with a 5th-round rookie that is currently completing 50% of his passes against backups?

Surely you must recognize that your position makes no sense, right?

IF We have to compare the two we should do so with the same system.

Logic would dictate it.

Then wouldn't you want to go back to what Tyrod did in the preseason when running Dennison's scheme in Baltimore and add that in for context?

Let's set aside for a moment the fact that every one of those is an eye-test metric, and that none of them can be quantified or supported by fact.

That said, let me get this straight: Peterman has somehow proven to you, in his 3 quarters of preseason action against 2's and 3's running base defensive schemes, that he does all of those things better than Tyrod? Furthermore, it is your opinion that the eye-test performed on those traits (by you) should supersede what Tyrod has done over 2 years as a starter?

Look, I'm not exactly the type to stump for Tyrod, but good grief. You want to replace a guy that's got a 15-14 record as a starter (despite playing on a team with a hugely-underachieving defensive unit) and has proven that he can lead a top-10 scoring offense while minimizing turnovers with a 5th-round rookie that is currently completing 50% of his passes against backups?

It's hard to defeat shiny new toy (QB) syndrome with hard evidence when fans are desperate for an end to the signal caller purgatory we've been in since the retirement of Jim Kelly.

The Bills have two QB's now that despite being drafted in the later rounds could possibly go on to become legit starters in the NFL in my humble opinion. The difference between them is one QB has had enough play time to gauge an approximate ceiling while the other signal caller we have barely scratched the surface on.

Then wouldn't you want to go back to what Tyrod did in the preseason when running Dennison's scheme in Baltimore and add that in for context?

He's proven, although good, he's not good enough to win when it matters. Coming close in his "two" best games of the season out of 16 meh to suck games.

So yes. IF TT remains the same then I want to see a change and fast.

Lets end the misery sooner than later.

Of the list I provided - which ones do you disagree with that TT needs to improve on?

Don't confuse my recognition of some of Nates talents as a guarantee for anything else.

It's hard to defeat shiny new toy (QB) syndrome with hard evidence when fans are desperate for an end to the signal caller purgatory we've been in since the retirement of Jim Kelly.

until proven otherwise signal caller purgatory remains in place with TT.

1. read defenses
  3. throws into coverage

OUCH

CORRECT.

Yet we see people complaining about 50% from a ROOKIE and not see them mentioning TT's 53%.

Pre season is meaningless. This is ridiculous. Play with the first unit in a meaningful game is the only way to judge. Of course if he didn't play as well, you'd blame the lack of WRs probably, which could be true. Too bad you don't allow TT the same "excuse".

http://wham1180.iheart.com/featured/bob-matthews-column/content/2017-08-21-matthews-thoughts-on-anquan-boldin-and-tyrod/

A popular topic among Bills fans is the status of Tyrod Taylor as starting quarterback. Rookie Nathan Peterman against opposing second-line defenders has looked better than Taylor through the first two meaningless preseason games. A few wishful-thinking Buffalo fans are wondering if Peterman might be the 2017 version of last season’s Dak Prescott with the Dallas Cowpokes. Dream on.

Tyler isn’t likely to guide this season’s Bills to the NFL’s promised land -- In Western New York, that means the playoffs. He’s not Superman. In opinion, he’s just a fairly average NFL QB on a slightly below-average NFL team.

Read more: http://wham1180.iheart.com/featured/bob-matthews-column/content/2017-08-21-matthews-thoughts-on-anquan-boldin-and-tyrod/#ixzz4qhCS8MQN

He's proven, although good, he's not good enough to win when it matters. Coming close in his "two" best games of the season out of 16 meh to suck games.

So yes. IF TT remains the same then I want to see a change and fast.

Lets end the misery sooner than later.

Of the list I provided - which ones do you disagree with that TT needs to improve on?

Don't confuse my recognition of some of Nates talents as a guarantee for anything else.

until proven otherwise signal caller purgatory remains in place with TT.

You're conflating two points. No, Tyrod isn't good enough. No, Peterman has certainly not shown that he is better than Tyrod at any of those traits--perhaps further along as a rookie than Tyrod was though.

You're conflating two points. No, Tyrod isn't good enough. No, Peterman has certainly not shown that he is better than Tyrod at any of those traits--perhaps further along as a rookie than Tyrod was though.

Why so serious?

Is in and of itself sarcasm.

I think it is a logical position to take with the points he made.

The reason is because Tyrod has never been able to do some of his points. That's not the type of QB he is. In 3 quarters in preseason last year, I think it's safe to say Jacoby Brissett can scramble better than Brady....doesn't mean he's a better QB obviously. Jacoby Brissett doesn't have to prove it over a long period of time that he's more mobile than Brady....

Just because Peterman can work better inside the pocket and throws with anticipation much better doesn't mean he's a better QB now. He just does some things better than Taylor.

The one positive with Peterman over Tyrod is the unknown. Let's be honest, Tyrod isn't going to become Tom Brady. Peterman is the only QB on the roster who still has a shot to become an elite QB and that's why people want him to start. If you want an elite QB and nothing else you want us to move on from Tyrod right away. I don't agree with that stance but the logic makes sense. If we're hovering below .500 after Week 9 I would support changing to Peterman to see if he has a decent chance of becoming our franchise.

The reason is because Tyrod has never been able to do some of his points. That's not the type of QB he is. In 3 quarters in preseason last year, I think it's safe to say Jacoby Brissett can scramble better than Brady....doesn't mean he's a better QB obviously. Jacoby Brissett doesn't have to prove it over a long period of time that he's more mobile than Brady....

Just because Peterman can work better inside the pocket and throws with anticipation much better doesn't mean he's a better QB now. He just does some things better than Taylor.

Thank you fellow Mr Spock .....

The one positive with Peterman over Tyrod is the unknown. Let's be honest, Tyrod isn't going to become Tom Brady. Peterman is the only QB on the roster who still has a shot to become an elite QB and that's why people want him to start. If you want an elite QB and nothing else you want us to move on from Tyrod right away. I don't agree with that stance but the logic makes sense. If we're hovering below .500 after Week 9 I would support changing to Peterman to see if he has a decent chance of becoming our franchise.

What about Peterman says he has a realistic chance to be among the NFL's elite QBs?

That's not accurate...if you go back and look at Tyrod's performance in the preseason as a Raven, he was able to do plenty of those things.

I feel that you folks are falling into the trap of comparing Tyrod vs 1's in the regular season to Peterman vs. 2's and 3's in the preseason, which is apples-to-oranges at best.

For example:

Plenty of accurate throws, quick releases, throws to covered targets, and stepping into the pocket there.

And that's the point: what Peterman is showing against 2's and 3's in the preseason is in no way uncommon for a late-round pick, and portends nothing more than that he's got the potential to be a roster-worthy NFL QB.

Thank you fellow Mr Spock .....

Again, if you're looking at Peterman based on preseason vs 2's and 3's, then you need to look at Tyrod in Dennison's offense in the same situation.

Now that, my friend, would be logical.

Come on 26CB, read what is written and think again what he said.

a possibility exists. We don't know.

Yates - never

Taylor - very low probability

And I'll add that "we don't know" isn't automatically better today than "we don't think so"

That's not accurate...if you go back and look at Tyrod's performance in the preseason as a Raven, he was able to do plenty of those things.

I feel that you folks are falling into the trap of comparing Tyrod vs 1's in the regular season to Peterman vs. 2's and 3's in the preseason, which is apples-to-oranges at best.

Plenty of accurate throws, quick releases, throws to covered targets, and stepping into the pocket there.

And that's the point: what Peterman is showing against 2's and 3's in the preseason is in no way uncommon for a late-round pick, and portends nothing more than that he's got the potential to be a roster-worthy NFL QB.

Then what happened?

Again, if you're looking at Peterman based on preseason vs 2's and 3's, then you need to look at Tyrod in Dennison's offense in the same situation.

Now that, my friend, would be logical.

And I'll add that "we don't know" isn't automatically better today than "we don't think so"

Why is it you didn'tt answer the question.

Which of those items does TT not need to improve on?

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

Then what happened?

Why is it you didn'tt answer the question.

Which of those items does TT not need to improve on?

How is it possible that some of you folks continue to miss the point?

I did answer you; I said that I agreed that Tyrod needed to improve, but that you were conflating two different points (and you still are). That Tyrod needs to improve does not, by any measure, mean that Peterman is better than him at those traits. Right now, Peterman is showing that he's got some ability in those areas, but as I just showed you, Tyrod showed the same thing against 2's and 3's.

What happened? He had to start playing against starters.

Forgive me if Peterman completing 50% of his passes against backups and showing the same passing and anticipatory ability that Tyrod did as a backup (sans the dynamic running) doesn't exactly inspire me to believe he's a better player right now, or that he'll become one in the future.

Again, context matters. That is (still) the point.

What about Peterman says he has a realistic chance to be among the NFL's elite QBs?

I didn't say what chance he has, I just said at this point he's the only one on the roster with any chance to become elite. QBs don't become elite after 7 years in the league. I still think Tyrod can be a good starter but he will never be Tom Brady. Peterman could be. It's a remote chance but the only way to find out is for him to play.

How is it possible that some of you folks continue to miss the point?

I did answer you; I said that I agreed that Tyrod needed to improve, but that you were conflating two different points (and you still are). That Tyrod needs to improve does not, by any measure, mean that Peterman is better than him at those traits. Right now, Peterman is showing that he's got some ability in those areas, but as I just showed you, Tyrod showed the same thing against 2's and 3's.

What happened? He had to start playing against starters.

Forgive me if Peterman completing 50% of his passes against backups and showing the same passing and anticipatory ability that Tyrod did as a backup (sans the dynamic running) doesn't exactly inspire me to believe he's a better player right now, or that he'll become one in the future.

Again, context matters. That is (still) the point.

Apologies ....

Context (cuz I'm a jerk) a 7th year vet s/b able to work an offense better than he's shown the last 2 games. :flirt:

I didn't say what chance he has, I just said at this point he's the only one on the roster with any chance to become elite. QBs don't become elite after 7 years in the league. I still think Tyrod can be a good starter but he will never be Tom Brady. Peterman could be. It's a remote chance but the only way to find out is for him to play.

Oh we'll find out, but I haven't seen any elite traits based on what he showed at the Collegiate level or thus far in the NFL. Those things usually jump right out at you.

My "problem" is a realistic projection based upon what I see Mrs. Peterman.

IF you choose to use college - TT's faults now are the same faults he had in college.

So in that train of thought Peterman won't make it and neither will Taylor

And finally - WE have seen very little of NP in the NFL to call him a bust or a success.

As a Bills fan I want him to succeed.

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

IF you choose to use college - TT's faults now are the same faults he had in college.

And finally - WE have seen very little of NP in the NFL to call him a bust or a success.

Who's arguing anything different. Tyrod still does have warts that have carried over to his game at the NFL level.

That's good. You should also want TT to succeed also.

Apologies ....

Context (cuz I'm a jerk) a 7th year vet s/b able to work an offense better than he's shown the last 2 games. :flirt:

Agreed (not about the jerk part)...that says absolutely nothing about Peterman, which is what I have been saying for 3+ pages now.

Separate discussions.

Tyrod isn't good enough =/= Peterman is good enough.

For example:

I think you're falling into a trap where you believe a rookie can't have certain aspects in their game that are better than a veterans.

Highlights don't mean anything. There are Ryan Leaf highlight films. I can show you highlights of Ryan Fitzpatrick completing deep balls...he still is a terrible deep ball thrower. Just because he did it here and there doesn't mean they are good at it or even competent.

I'm not gaga over Peterman just because of his highlight film. I expected this from him...this is what his scouting report entails. Pro Style experience, good accuracy, great anticipation thrower with average physical tools.

Peterman's experience in a pro-style passing attack gives him a head start headed into the league. His physical attributes are just average, but his accuracy, composure and anticipation are what sets him apart from some of the more physically gifted quarterbacks in this year's draft

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/nathan-peterman?id=2558191

Here's a Taylor scouting report from 7 years ago....he's still the same QB. This could have been written yesterday.

Although the tight window thing hasn't really worked out like the report said.

STRENGTHS Taylor is an excellent athlete with a thick muscular build. Has excellent mobility and continually evades the rush while keeping his eyes downfield. Has above average arm strength and flashes the ability to fit the ball into tight windows on short to intermediate routes. Team leader and fierce competitor.
WEAKNESSES

Does not possess adequate height and too many of his passes are knocked down at the line. Sloppy footwork prevents him from stepping into throws making him an erratic passer. Locks onto receivers and often telegraphs his throws. Struggles breaking down coverage and makes too many ill-advised throws.

Tom Melton breaks it down even more. This one to me is spot on.

https://tommeltonscouting.wordpress.com/2011/03/22/tyrod-taylor-qb-virgina-tech-scouting-report/

I think you're falling into a trap where you believe a rookie can't have certain aspects in their game that are better than a veterans.

Highlights don't mean anything. There are Ryan Leaf highlight films. I can show you highlights of Ryan Fitzpatrick completing deep balls...he still is a terrible deep ball thrower. Just because he did it here and there doesn't mean they are good at it or even competent.

I'm not gaga over Peterman just because of his highlight film. I expected this from him...this is what his scouting report entails. Pro Style experience, good accuracy, great anticipation thrower with average physical tools.

No, I am not. What I am saying is that Peterman is not showing anything beyond that of what many rookie late-round picks before him have shown against backups. The highlight video was expressly intended to speak to the fact that Tyrod showed many of the same things.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/nathan-peterman?id=2558191

Here's a Taylor scouting report from 7 years ago....he's still the same QB. This could have been written yesterday.

Although the tight window thing hasn't really worked out like the report said.

Nobody. Is. Arguing. Differently.

The point that I have made, and somehow still seems to get lost, is that just because Tyrod hasn't improved in those areas doesn't mean that Peterman is better simply because he shows a similar ability to do it against backups and 3rd stringers as Tyrod did as a rookie.

Edited by thebandit27

No, I am not. What I am saying is that Peterman is not showing anything beyond that of what many rookie late-round picks before him have shown against backups. The highlight video was expressly intended to speak to the fact that Tyrod showed many of the same things.

Nobody. Is. Arguing. Differently.

The point that I have made, and somehow still seems to get lost, is that just because Tyrod hasn't improved in those areas doesn't mean that Peterman is better simply because he shows a similar ability to do it against backups and 3rd stringers as Tyrod did as a rookie.

It's not lost on me. Peterman has shown this ability more than just a few quarters in preseason. It's his strength. Tyrod's strength is his athleticism.

There are things Tyrod can do that Peterman can't and vice versa.

Cute.

I suspect you know this, but the passing game ranked 30th in YPG...which is pretty common when you throw the ball less than every other team in the NFL for 2 consecutive years. How does this debunk the notion that Tyrod is the best option from the current players on the roster for this team in 2017? FYI, they also ranked 20th in YPA, 19th in passer rating, and 22nd in completion percentage.

Guess which of those numbers matters more than points scored? I suspect you know the answer to this as well.

And again I'll ask: what makes you think that Peterman is a better option for this team in 2017? Furthermore, where did I say that Tyrod is a stud? Actually, I'll ask you to do me a favor: take a step back from slinging mud, read what I actually said, and then tell me where you disagree with me.

Thanks.

Your cute as well. Your argument still doesn't pass the sniff test. The passing game was STILL ranked 30th overall Edited by DirtDart

Cute.

I suspect you know this, but the passing game ranked 30th in YPG...which is pretty common when you throw the ball less than every other team in the NFL for 2 consecutive years. How does this debunk the notion that Tyrod is the best option from the current players on the roster for this team in 2017? FYI, they also ranked 20th in YPA, 19th in passer rating, and 22nd in completion percentage.

Guess which of those numbers matters more than points scored? I suspect you know the answer to this as well.

And again I'll ask: what makes you think that Peterman is a better option for this team in 2017? Furthermore, where did I say that Tyrod is a stud? Actually, I'll ask you to do me a favor: take a step back from slinging mud, read what I actually said, and then tell me where you disagree with me.

Thanks.

Bandit, I am not slinging mud at you directly, but you said it yourself. We threw the ball less than any other team in the league. You pretty much summed up our QB. He lacks the ability to do much else other than pick up yards with his feet.

Yes, but you aren't acquiring all of these picks to build around him. You are going to go get your guy. Peterman isn't going to play this year and they aren't going to punt on next year's draft because of him. If Tyrod gets hurt or traded and Peterman lights it up -maybe. He isn't going to enter 2018 as the starter with 0 starts under his belt.

Don't be surprised if the wrestling coach inserts Peterman in the starting lineup entering the third portion of the season when the Bills are predictably out of the playoffs. That won't alter the probability that the Bills will still use their first round pick for a qb. Ideally, the Bills won't have to deal off a lot of picks to place themselves in a positon to get the qb that they want. This team still needs an infusion of talent to bolster their thin roster.

You don't have to have to watch him play in this year's preseason games to determine the caliber of qb he is. It's not a knock on him to recognize what he can do and can't do as a qb. He has had two years of starting with little elevation of his game. He is what he is: An adequate bridge qb. We are fortunate to have him in the short run but need to do better in the long run.

I agree with this and have always thought of him in that role. I don't want to knock (but I'm going to) whaley here but with beane being an unknown rookie gm he seems aggressive and it looks like with the dealing of all those picks he is setting the team up for a QB and hopefully success. where whaley counted on EJ being the next coming of johnny u and then dragged his ass, never landing the QB of the future.

let this season ride and hope they do well instead of wasting negative energy towards players and even ourselves. it is what it is and maybe beanes is on to something?

peterman will get his shot when either taylor goes down with an injury which could be a probability with the high risk at that position. or he'll get it if taylor stinks up the joint. I just want who ever is (hopefully never yates) in there, to get the job done.

likely, not in stone, but it may be 20 years before the drought ends and it may all really depend on who is drafted in 2018? unless taylor or peterman can get it done while the rookie grooms but the consensus says otherwise, no chance at playoffs.

just keep yates off the field. be like having thigpens number called.

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973