Nate Peterman Love .. anyone vs. 2018 QB draft??

Bandit, I am not slinging mud at you directly, but you said it yourself. We threw the ball less than any other team in the league. You pretty much summed up our QB. He lacks the ability to do much else other than pick up yards with his feet.

1) The offensive coordinator calls the plays - He decides whether it is going to be a run or pass play except in certain situations. It is not up to the QB unless that QB is given that responsibility - which hardly any QB's are.

2) Some coaches, because of their football philosophy, prefer to run a very pass focused offense where they call more passing plays than running plays. Some coaches, because of their football philosophy, prefer a very run focused offense.

3) Greg Roman has had the single most run oriented offensive philosophy than any other offensive coordinator in the NFL. His strength as a coach is designing a run game. In every single year he has ever been a coordinator in the NFL including his stint in San Francisco, his offenses were always run oriented. That is why his offenses were always ranked high in total running yards and low in total passing yards. Always. (Look it up) - Wait I'll do it for ya.

Guess where Greg Roman's offenses ranked in number of attempts and total yards passing each year?

Year # of attempts Total Passing Yards Rank

2011 31 29

2012 31 30 (Superbowl Year) They went to the Superbowl with the 30th ranked total yards passing offense. Shows you how much that stat really means = jack squat

2013 32 30

2014 29 30

2015 31 28 Wooohooo! Go Bills - By this stat the Bills had a better passing offense than the 49ers Superbowl team.

2016 32 30

Do you see a theme here?

Can you see why total passing yards always ranked low? Because Roman likes to run the ball - a lot - like a lot lot

Remember Rex wanting to Ground and Pound? That is why he brought in Greg Roman. Run, run, run, run, run,

And then Anthony Lynn (a former Running Back) took over running Greg Roman's run oriented offense. Guess what he did? He ran, ran, ran, ran the ball a lot lot lot lot. = 30th ranked total passing yards.

Get it?

Notice how correlated the number of attempts are to the total yards passing when you are throwing the ball that few times? It couldn't be any clearer. If you can't see that you are blind.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bandit, I am not slinging mud at you directly, but you said it yourself. We threw the ball less than any other team in the league. You pretty much summed up our QB. He lacks the ability to do much else other than pick up yards with his feet.

The post that I was referring to was this:

1. No, Tyrod doesn't suck. Not by any metric that you can find...but feel free to show me why with more than just your opinion.

2. Don't attribute made-up arguments to me. You've never seen me say that Tyrod hasn't looked lousy this preseason, or that it doesn't matter because it's preseason. Debate the actual point being made as opposed to simply tossing out straw men to suit your fancy.

3. It makes less than zero sense to get rid of a QB that's had a record of 15-14 and lead an offense that ranked 7th in points scored last season (save for after the EJ debacle in Week 17) because you simply don't like the guy. I don't think there's anyone on this board that believes he's great, or even capable of winning in the playoffs; he's simply the best that this team is going to do for 2017.

What about the above do you disagree with?

Tyrod is a below-average starting QB in the NFL, but he doesn't suck by any measure. He can extend plays with his legs, has an outstanding deep ball, and is very decisive when his first read is open (which is why his career YPA with Sammy in the lineup--8.8--is downright elite).

He is most certainly limited in what he can do; that does not make Peterman the better option for this team right now. My point in this thread has always been that Tyrod's limitations and Peterman's readiness to play against starters in the NFL have zero confluence.

1) The offensive coordinator calls the plays - He decides whether it is going to be a run or pass play except in certain situations. It is not up to the QB unless that QB is given that responsibility - which hardly any QB's are.

2) Some coaches, because of their football philosophy, prefer to run a very pass focused offense where they call more passing plays than running plays. Some coaches, because of their football philosophy, prefer a very run focused offense.

3) Greg Roman has had the single most run oriented offensive philosophy than any other offensive coordinator in the NFL. His strength as a coach is designing a run game. In every single year he has ever been a coordinator in the NFL including his stint in San Francisco, his offenses were always run oriented. That is why his offenses were always ranked high in total running yards and low in total passing yards. Always. (Look it up) - Wait I'll do it for ya.

Guess where Greg Roman's offenses ranked in number of attempts and total yards passing each year?

Year # of attempts Total Passing Yards Rank

2011 31 29

2012 31 30 (Superbowl Year) They went to the Superbowl with the 30th ranked total yards passing offense. Shows you how much that stat really means = jack squat

2013 32 30

2014 29 30

2015 31 28 Wooohooo! Go Bills - By this stat the Bills had a better passing offense than the 49ers Superbowl team.

2016 32 30

Do you see a theme here?

Can you see why total passing yards always ranked low? Because Roman likes to run the ball - a lot - like a lot lot

Remember Rex wanting to Ground and Pound? That is why he brought in Greg Roman. Run, run, run, run, run,

And then Anthony Lynn (a former Running Back) took over running Greg Roman's run oriented offense. Guess what he did? He ran, ran, ran, ran the ball a lot lot lot lot. = 30th ranked total passing yards.

Get it?

Notice how correlated the number of attempts are to the total yards passing when you are throwing the ball that few times? It couldn't be any clearer. If you can't see that you are blind.

Many QB's have the ability to audible. If something doesn't look right, they can change the play. Some teams will call multiple plays in the huddle and then choose which one they feel will work the best when they line up.

Also Anthony Lynn, who you brought up, interviewed by WGR at the end of the season last year specifically stated they struggled in the passing game...he wished they could have passed the ball better because, in his exact words, "could have opened the offense up more". He mentioned Taylor struggled on his anticipatory routes (Dennison is stating the same thing) and throwing the ball down field...he was too safe with the ball a lot.

When an offensive coordinator mentions one aspect of their game struggled and didn't allow us to "open it up"....that's pretty telling he was handcuffed in his playcalls and focused on the run because they couldn't throw. It's like you're arguing they wanted to be a one dimensional offense....

I didn't say what chance he has, I just said at this point he's the only one on the roster with any chance to become elite. QBs don't become elite after 7 years in the league. I still think Tyrod can be a good starter but he will never be Tom Brady. Peterman could be. It's a remote chance but the only way to find out is for him to play.

Everyone here should be able to agree with this. The number of people who want to dump taylor now and anoint Peterman elite without proof is infinitesimal. We all want proof, whether its eye test or stats and you won't get that till Peterman gets playing time with the ones and actual game experience. The only failure is not finding out what we have before burning draft picks on a complete unknown.

No more gadget QBs. I want somebody (anybody) who possesses all the requisite skills for the position. If taylor can't elevate his game, he's done. If Peterman is only a good manager, backup. Hell, if they have to draft two a year till they hit on one I'm ok with that. Just don't half-ass it.

@FanRagNFL

Re-ranking NFL rookie QBs after preseason Week 3. Courtesy of @WilliamsonNFL: https://www.fanragsports.com/nfl/re-ranking-nfl-rookie-qbs-preseason-week-3/

5. Nathan Peterman, Buffalo Bills

The Bills seem to really like Peterman, and you can see why. He is never going to be a power thrower and that might always be a problem late in the season in Buffalo, but his arm strength appears better in the NFL than it was at Pitt.

He is a smart player with a firm hold of the system. Peterman is a poised player who could have a career path similar to someone like Brian Hoyer. Don’t be surprised if he is starting games at the end of a lost Bills season in 2017.

Good grief, do you really not understand the point of my reply?

It is tantamount to absurdity to ask what a player that has proven himself to be a mediocre NFL starter does better than a rookie 5th-round pick that has never started so much as a preseason game.

That was my point. I'm sorry that I didn't make it clearer from the get-go; I assumed you'd pick up on it.

If you really want to play this game, then here are 5 things Tyrod does better than Peterman:

- He is a better runner; Peterman has never shown that skill

- He throws an excellent deep ball; Peterman has not shown that skill in his brief preseason appearances

- He is more accurate--as evidenced by both a higher comp % in this preseason, as well as by a higher comp % against NFL competition in 2016 than Peterman had playing in the ACC

- He has better ball security--he had the fewest turnovers among starting QBs in the NFL last year. Peterman turned the ball over more times in 13 college games last year.

- He has a better familiarity with this offense having worked with Rick Dennison; Peterman is completely new to it

I played your game, so now it's your move. Name 5 things that Peterman has shown--even in the preseason against backups and 3rd stringers--that he does better than Taylor.

OK ... I'll play the game as well .. preseason only

Completion Percentage - Tyrod 48% ... Nate 50% .. not much difference but numerically better (but the repeated 3rd string argument offsets for some)

Interceptions - Tyrod 2 / Nate 0 ... and Nate has 68 attempts vs. Tyrod's 29

% of passes for 1st Downs ... Tyrod - 13.8% / Nate 23.5%

QB Rating - Tyrod 27.9 / Nate 71.4

Non Stat related ... I'll trade the long ball that Tyrod has (call it two to three plays a game) for a guy that has better touch .. he's (Nate) dropped the ball right in to Zay Jones a few times on sideline throws ... hit tight ends on seam routes ... hits the short throws on the tree and has surprised with scrambling ... my point is ..we know Tyrod's ceiling after 6 years in the league ... we're not going to do much this year (unfortunately) .. why not give Nate a shot to gain more experience ... the short term view has potential for improvement. I've repeated this in past posts .. my issue with Tyrod is lack of 4th quarter comebacks ... given our record over the last two years he's had plenty of opportunities ...let's give the kid a chance ... at worst it's the difference between 9-7 (no playoffs) and 5-11 (better draft position).

Tyrod is a below-average starting QB in the NFL, but he doesn't suck by any measure. He can extend plays with his legs, has an outstanding deep ball, and is very decisive when his first read is open (which is why his career YPA with Sammy in the lineup--8.8--is downright elite).

He is most certainly limited in what he can do; that does not make Peterman the better option for this team right now. My point in this thread has always been that Tyrod's limitations and Peterman's readiness to play against starters in the NFL have zero confluence.

Maybe an average starting QB would serve us better? :flirt:

Also in what limited games we have seen. Peterman can scramble as we say a few games ago. 6 rushes for 43 yards.

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

Completion Percentage - Tyrod 48% ... Nate 50% .. not much difference but numerically better (but the repeated 3rd string argument offsets for some)

Non Stat related ... I'll trade the long ball that Tyrod has (call it two to three plays a game) for a guy that has better touch .. he's (Nate) dropped the ball right in to Zay Jones a few times on sideline throws ... hit tight ends on seam routes ... hits the short throws on the tree and has surprised with scrambling ... my point is ..we know Tyrod's ceiling after 6 years in the league ... we're not going to do much this year (unfortunately) .. why not give Nate a shot to gain more experience ... the short term view has potential for improvement. I've repeated this in past posts .. my issue with Tyrod is lack of 4th quarter comebacks ... given our record over the last two years he's had plenty of opportunities ...let's give the kid a chance ... at worst it's the difference between 9-7 (no playoffs) and 5-11 (better draft position).

I'd rather see Peterman as well. On the play where Tyrod got the concussion, you can see Clay get open after making his break, but Tyrod refuses to pull the trigger, scrambles, and then gets finished-off by Judon. I have no doubt Peterman makes that throw.

The problem I think is that if they start him over a healthy Tyrod, they risk losing the team. Plus they're paying Tyrod all this money. I think Tyrod will/should get the start and Peterman should come in if the team starts losing a lot of games.

I'd rather see Peterman as well. On the play where Tyrod got the concussion, you can see Clay get open after making his break, but Tyrod refuses to pull the trigger, scrambles, and then gets finished-off by Judon. I have no doubt Peterman makes that throw.

The problem I think is that if they start him over a healthy Tyrod, they risk losing the team. Plus they're paying Tyrod all this money. I think Tyrod will/should get the start and Peterman should come in if the team starts losing a lot of games.

When I look at the play, I see a defender underneath (CJ Mosley) just waiting for a throw from Tyrod that he can intercept.: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000834875/article/tyrod-taylor-leaves-bills-game-with-concussion

It would have been a pick six similar to the one EJ threw to Telvin Smith in the Jacksonville game in London.

OK, I originally went on record stating that Josh Rosen would be our next QB. I am now leaning more towards 1) Josh Allen or 2) Mason Rudolph with Josh Rosen now dropping to my 3rd choice. These are all behind Darnold of course but I'm pretty sure that he'll go to a bottom feeder like the Jets.

Let's Go Buffalo!!!!!

When I look at the play, I see a defender underneath (CJ Mosley) just waiting for a throw from Tyrod that he can intercept.: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000834875/article/tyrod-taylor-leaves-bills-game-with-concussion

It would have been a pick six similar to the one EJ threw to Telvin Smith in the Jacksonville game in London.

Are you serious? Mosley is at least 4 yards behind the play. If the pass is out at Clay's break, which it should be, there's no way that Mosley makes up that ground.

My only issue with Peterman is, just wait until they actually start game planning.

We don't necessarily have pass catchers that will always get open, they are more possession types. The types you have to be very trusting with and more so accurate because the coverage will be tight.

Look at the first gif in this article:

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2017/8/28/16211916/nathan-peterman-rookie-quarterback-buffalo-bills-video-analysis-gif

I'll bet if that's Tyrod and he doesn't throw the ball, you would think that it's a pick waiting to happen. Peterman is able to create a window and thread the ball to Jones.

I like Tyrod, I think he can be very successful in the right offense. But I don't think he makes that throw.

Look at the first gif in this article:

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2017/8/28/16211916/nathan-peterman-rookie-quarterback-buffalo-bills-video-analysis-gif

I'll bet if that's Tyrod and he doesn't throw the ball, you would think that it's a pick waiting to happen. Peterman is able to create a window and thread the ball to Jones.

I like Tyrod, I think he can be very successful in the right offense. But I don't think he makes that throw.

That has definitely been a problem for him.

OK, I originally went on record stating that Josh Rosen would be our next QB. I am now leaning more towards 1) Josh Allen or 2) Mason Rudolph with Josh Rosen now dropping to my 3rd choice. These are all behind Darnold of course but I'm pretty sure that he'll go to a bottom feeder like the Jets.

Let's Go Buffalo!!!!!

dahnold doesn't pass the eye test for me. i just don't like his throwing motion. lot of love cause of that last game from people

Peterman reminds me a little of Rich Gannon.

One can only hope.

A healthy Chad Pennington is his ceiling imo.

Don't know if he will get there.

DK has really looked good at times in Cleveland. Has shown accuracy and has thrown with anticipation not to mention athleticism/arm strength.

Are you serious? Mosley is at least 4 yards behind the play. If the pass is out at Clay's break, which it should be, there's no way that Mosley makes up that ground.

Yeah I don't think Mosley has a shot at the ball at all, assuming the ball is thrown after Clay starts his break. There is a defender behind Clay but a well-thrown/timed ball is at worst is a PBU. But more importantly, the QB stays healthy.

A healthy Chad Pennington is his ceiling imo.

Don't know if he will get there.

DK has really looked good at times in Cleveland. Has shown accuracy and has thrown with anticipation not to mention athleticism/arm strength.

His last game he was 6-18 for 93 yards and an INT. I don't see it. But time will tell.

Again (and for the final time in this thread), the point is that Tyrod's middling work in 29 regular-season games should supersede Peterman's middling work against 2's and 3's in the preseason.

Yes, we likely have seen Tyrod's ceiling; can you honestly say that his limitations are the reason that this team did not make the playoffs in 2015 or 2016? I don't think anyone would say that.

Why not let Peterman start? I can think of 2 reasons: (1) the staff may feel (as I do) that he isn't ready, and (2) if you want to find out about your playmakers and their ability, your best bet is to put the guy out there that gives them the best chance to make plays; right now, that's Tyrod.

Yeah I don't think Mosley has a shot at the ball at all, assuming the ball is thrown after Clay starts his break. There is a defender behind Clay but a well-thrown/timed ball is at worst is a PBU. But more importantly, the QB stays healthy.

His last game he was 6-18 for 93 yards and an INT. I don't see it. But time will tell.

I hear you but I did say "at times". Like most talented youngsters consistency is the key objective. But I think I can see why Jeremiah was so high on him.

In a Next Man Up scenario

that chit doesn't fly.

Again (and for the final time in this thread), the point is that Tyrod's middling work in 29 regular-season games should supersede Peterman's middling work against 2's and 3's in the preseason. correct

Yes, we likely have seen Tyrod's ceiling; correct can you honestly say that his limitations are the reason that this team did not make the playoffs in 2015 or 2016? Yes I don't think anyone would say that. incorrect

Why not let Peterman start? I can think of 2 reasons: (1) the staff may feel (as I do) that he isn't ready, and (2) if you want to find out about your playmakers and their ability, your best bet is to put the guy out there that gives them the best chance to make plays; right now, that's Tyrod.

Nate may not be ready. But I'm willing to take the chance and try to enjoy the season hoping for the best than sit and expect more of the same for 17 weeks.

All I am reading today is the draft capital to get a QB in next year's draft .... is it just me or did no one like what Nate showed on Thursday? First drive as a pro ... drove down the field and scored ... in the fourth scrambled for good 1st downs .. and then hit Taiwan Jones perfectly on 4th down on the 5 yard line .. but he turned his head to run and dropped the ball ...likely could of been game tying score.

This kid went to Clemson last year and beat #1 in a shootout against D. Watson ... I like what I saw and yes only one game and yes against 2nd/3rd string .. but certainly better than what I saw from Yates vs. the Vikes ... but given the lack of comments and I am island?

I like the idea of getting as many quality guys in here until we find the right guy. If Peterman takes over and has a great year I would still draft a QB just in case. I wouldn't trade the house to get him unless its Darnold (who I think will be a superstar) but I would use a high pick to get an insurance policy.

In a Next Man Up scenario

that chit doesn't fly.

Nate may not be ready. But I'm willing to take the chance and try to enjoy the season hoping for the best than sit and expect more of the same for 17 weeks.

So the #7 scoring offense (prior to EJ's debacle in Week 17) is responsible for the team not making the playoffs? It wasn't the vastly-underachieving defense? Okay...explain.

As for enjoying the season, if the offense is markedly worse with Nate than it is with Tyrod, that's going to be more enjoyable to you?

I'm sorry, but total-unknown is not automatically better than okay-but-not-good-enough.

I wasn't a fan of Peterman until seeing him this preseason. Now as much as I'm looking forward to him starting, I don't want him starting against the Jets as their D will destroy QBs. Let Tyrod start that game and see how he does -

Let's Go Buffalo!!!!!

I think Bills fans have unrealistic expectations of a QB because the lack of a great one has always been the excuse for 20 years of generally poor management decisions. Great QB's can toil in mediocre team success and mediocre QB's can have great success if they are in good situation and part of judging that has to do with tempering expectations with the situation being a factor.

So the #7 scoring offense (prior to EJ's debacle in Week 17) is responsible for the team not making the playoffs? It wasn't the vastly-underachieving defense? Okay...explain.

As for enjoying the season, if the offense is markedly worse with Nate than it is with Tyrod, that's going to be more enjoyable to you?

I'm sorry, but total-unknown is not automatically better than okay-but-not-good-enough.

I would agree with you if we were in a Roman/Lynn scheme. Though of course we haven't seen all of it I suspect that Peterman is a better fit for a WC offence or even a variant thereof if thats where we land (which appears to be the case). And these coaches seem to be all about scheme suitability. If Tyrod can't cut it he will sit imo.

No chance, the Bills aren't getting all of this draft capital to build around a guy that they passed on like 5 times in the draft. That should tell you how confident they are in him becoming the guy.

Exactly...

I think Peterman is going to be our modern day Reich...Smart...Good teammate...Helpful...And can win a game or two as a starter when needed... B-)

TT weak passing game was part of the problem.

How do you keep pace with NE? By having a passing offense backed by a run game.

We will never beat Brady and the Pats with TT under center.

Just like Denver, right?

And just like the Giants in those two Superbowls?

Look, people have tried the "go score for score with them" in the biggest games. The Ravens did it in the playoffs the famous "ineligible" game. They led 14-0 and 28-14. They lost. The Falcons tried it in the Superbowl last year.... they lost. Even the Seahawks played a Superbowl that essentially became a high scoring keep pace game - they lost.

Denver, as Bandit referred to, beat them two years ago in a tight defensive AFC Championship game and the Giants beat them in two defensive Superbowls. Stopping Brady scoring is darn hard, make no mistake....... but going toe to toe and outscoring him? That is even harder.

Edited by GunnerBill

And just like the Giants in those two Superbowls?

Look, people have tried the "go score for score with them" in the biggest games. The Ravens did it in the playoffs the famous "ineligible" game. They led 14-0 and 28-14. They lost. The Falcons tried it in the Superbowl last year.... they lost. Even the Seahawks played a Superbowl that essentially became a high scoring keep pace game - they lost.

Denver, as Bandit referred to, beat them two years ago in a tight defensive AFC Championship game and the Giants beat them in two defensive Superbowls. Stopping Brady scoring is darn hard, make no mistake....... but going toe to toe and outscoring him? That is even harder.

Both the Seahawks and Falcons gifted the Patriots a SB win by not running the ball as I'm sure you already know.

Both the Seahawks and Falcons gifted the Patriots a SB win by not running the ball as I'm sure you already know.

This cannot be overstated. I'm not sure which was worse, Seattles single colossal blunder or Atlanta/ Shanahans mind boggling continuous one.

No way. If that ball is thrown as Clay is beginning his break (which is when QB's should make most of their throws), that is an easy reception.

Yes....the Falcons did have a bone head move by not running it but they also gave up 31 points in the last 18 or so minutes of the football game.

The game should have been over after the great Julio Jones catch. Run the ball with the clock as your ally and the game is over. I have no idea what Shanahan was thinking about.