Leslie Frazier

I like this hire, because his system allows his defensive tackles to attack the line of scrimmage unlike Rex, who seemed to have them drop back into coverage too many times, also one more thing I like about Frazier, he allows his lineman to lineup anywhere on the defensive line to pressure the Quarterback.

If Frazier, can get the Bills Defense back into that top 5 again this team will go to the playoffs and be a terror. If only Rex, would not have been so stubborn and cause Jim Schwartz to leave this team would be up their with the top teams in the NFL. Rex's, defense cost us big time.

Dropping defensive lineman is done by every single team in the NFL, it's as old as Dick LeBeau himself. But I like Fraziers style for our squad.

One of the tenants of the Leslie Frazier defense is preventing first downs. The "punts as turnovers" principle is strong with Frazier, who always preaches limiting damage and keeping plays in front of his defense, rather than going with an aggressive approach.

You won't see as many turnovers or sacks, but you also won't give up three games of 200+ yard rushers like last year.

By Frazier's second year in charge of the defense (2008), the Vikings became top-5 in the NFL in not allowing first downs. They would remain a top-10 first-down preventing defense until 2011, Frazier's first full year as head coach of the Vikings.

To me he's a classic cover 2 guy, which is why I'm amazed we didn't stay put and draft Malik Hooker, but that's another story.

Dropping defensive lineman is done by every single team in the NFL, it's as old as Dick LeBeau himself. But I like Fraziers style for our squad.

One of the tenants of the Leslie Frazier defense is preventing first downs. The "punts as turnovers" principle is strong with Frazier, who always preaches limiting damage and keeping plays in front of his defense, rather than going with an aggressive approach.

You won't see as many turnovers or sacks, but you also won't give up three games of 200+ yard rushers like last year.

By Frazier's second year in charge of the defense (2008), the Vikings became top-5 in the NFL in not allowing first downs. They would remain a top-10 first-down preventing defense until 2011, Frazier's first full year as head coach of the Vikings.

To me he's a classic cover 2 guy, which is why I'm amazed we didn't stay put and draft Malik Hooker, but that's another story.

The Bills are running McDermott's defense (not Frazier's) in the style of the late Jim Johnson.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

The Bills are running McDermott's defense not Frazier's in the style of the late Jim Johnson.

Frazier also began his career coaching under Johnson, so it's not like the system is unknown to him.

The Bills are running McDermott's defense (not Frazier's) in the style of the late Jim Johnson.

My thoughts as well. Frazier's scheme does mesh well with McDermott's. We'll see a ton of cover 3, and probably won't get beat deep very often. Teams will attack the flats, seams, and utilize smash concepts.

And there will be dropping defensive linemen at times. McDermott likes to disguise zone blitzes, and a lineman will cover the area vacated by a blitzing LB.

It may not happen immediately, but I actually expect this defense to create many more turnovers and sacks than under Rex. They didn't create many turnovers under Rex (I think only 18 last year?), and that is a staple of McDermott's defense. He loves creating turnovers. Carolina was near the top of the NFL in turnovers in many of McDermott's years there. Even last year with a bunch of rookies in the secondary they were tied for 4th. 2015 they were 1st. 2013 they were 5th. They were near the top of the NFL in sacks many years too, IIRC.

Good post and good info, thanks.

First downs = extra plays for an offense. Extra plays = extra yards. Extra yards = points.

assuming the "but don't" part of the equation comes into play.

we've seen plenty of bend THEN break defense lately.

Honestly last season they frequently looked bent AND broken before the snap.

I like this concept with the front 4 the bills have. They also won't need to break the bank on DBs hopefully.

It may not happen immediately, but I actually expect this defense to create many more turnovers and sacks than under Rex. They didn't create many turnovers under Rex (I think only 18 last year?), and that is a staple of McDermott's defense. He loves creating turnovers. Carolina was near the top of the NFL in turnovers in many of McDermott's years there. Even last year with a bunch of rookies in the secondary they were tied for 4th. 2015 they were 1st. 2013 they were 5th. They were near the top of the NFL in sacks many years too, IIRC.

I agree. You don't create turnovers when the other team's RB is putting up 200 yards against you. You also don't create turnovers when you're letting Ryan Fitzpatrick torch you on long bombs. Making the opposing offense grind out yardage does create opportunities for turnovers. It's not flashy, but it they do it right and have the talent to pull it off (the big question for me), it's effective.

@danfetes

Jerry Hughes just got into it with Leslie Frazier.

Hughes walked away as Frazier yelled "ITS ALL ABOUT YOU JERRY! ALWAYS ABOUT YOU!" #Bills

I have said and will say it again, he is traded before the season. Likely for a tight end.

McDermott doesn't use DE's like him and has always got by with much lesser talent.

Detroit for ebron, send Dallas a 4th or 5th, too

Edited by Boyst62

I have said and will say it again, he is traded before the season. Likely for a tight end.

McDermott doesn't use DE's like him and has always got by with much lesser talent.

Detroit still likes Ebron. Maybe Tampa would give away Cameron Brate because they just got OJ? Just throwing that out there, I don't know his $ situation.

Now that would piss me off. Always liked Jerry Hughes. And it's always great when we play Indy and they mentioned that trade. One of Whaleys gems of you ask me.

Last time Hughes got into it with the coach was Marrone, and he happened to have his 2 best years under him. Maybe a good sign then?

He gets tons of stupid penalties when he plays angry, though...

I can live with that if he plays like an all pro

Last time Hughes got into it with the coach was Marrone, and he happened to have his 2 best years under him. Maybe a good sign then?

Players are "wired" differently. This kind of thing doesn't bother me this time if year. Hughes will be fine.

He gets tons of stupid penalties when he plays angry, though...

I can live with that if he plays like an all pro

Bruce Smith was the same way. Hughes is drawn offsides more often than others, but makes up for it many times with his play. One of his best attributes is his jump at the snap, and Bruce was notorious for jumping offsides.

Players are "wired" differently. This kind of thing doesn't bother me this time if year. Hughes will be fine.

Bruce Smith was the same way. Hughes is drawn offsides more often than others, but makes up for it many times with his play. One of his best attributes is his jump at the snap, and Bruce was notorious for jumping offsides.

If it was just the offsides I'd agree but he has penalties for "playing past the whistle".