The Tyrod Taylor Question

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The sacks were attempted passes, methinks, from a sack rate perspective. If he weren't sacked they'd have been passes anyway. IDK I looked it up on pro football reference.

OK. Well, it's just pretty bad let's say, given the attempts and yards/game passing.

Tyrod = 19-0 baby

That is all that matters. If the Bills become winners, nothing else matters.

Fans will have no reason to dissect him.

dis·sect
dəˈsekt,dīˈsekt/
verb
    • analyze (something) in minute detail.
      synonyms: analyze, examine, study, scrutinize, pore over, investigate, go over with a fine-tooth comb

That is all that matters. If the Bills become winners, nothing else matters.

Fans will have no reason to dissect him.

dis·sect
dəˈsekt,dīˈsekt/
verb
    • analyze (something) in minute detail.
      synonyms: analyze, examine, study, scrutinize, pore over, investigate, go over with a fine-tooth comb

If he continues to regress, we can go with this definition:

verb

verb: dissect; 3rd person present: dissects; past tense: dissected; past participle: dissected; gerund or present participle: dissecting

1. methodically cut up (a body, part, or plant) in order to study its internal parts.
    synonyms: anatomize, cut up/open, dismember;
    vivisect
    "the body was dissected"

Defense was 16th in the league in points against.

As far a points go, that is dead nuts average.

LeVeon Bell and Jay Ajayi would disagree. I see 6 one-score games. Flip 3 and don't tank the Jets finale and you are 11-5. You say average D. I say D that folded in clutch situations.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Can we please just call Tyrod what he is and move on?

Tyrod is an above-average "bridge" QB (based upon his overall skill set) and we're waiting for one of two things to happen:

1 -- he suddenly breaks out and becomes a top 10 NFL QB warranting a contract extension

2 -- the Bills find their franchise QB in the draft or free agency

The Tyrod we've seen so far isn't terrible and isn't great. If he shows "natural" improvement there's certainly the chance he could lead the Bills to the playoffs.

If you're calling Tyrod garbage as a QB you're an idiot. A team could do far worse than to rely on Tyrod for a season or two. Any Bills fan over the past 17 years should know that.

LeVeon Bell and Jay Ajayi would disagree. I see 6 one-score games. Flip 3 and don't tank the Jets finale and you are 11-5. You say average D. I say D that folded in clutch situations.

Kinda like the QB, they both stunk.

Defense was 16th against in points is misleading, I tend to agree but equally misleading was the offense points for ranking, what 10th or 7th or whatever crazy formula the knowitalls come up with around here.

No matter how much anybody tries to fluff the stats the defense wasn't good enough and the QB wasn't good enough either. Need to be better.

Who?

Matt Miller, Josh Norris, Greg Gabriel were three that stuck out to me but there was a small yet definitive group of respected draft analysts (not the big network faces Mayock, Kiper and McShay etc.... but then they all loved Goff and Wentz) who kept saying there was talent in this class and teams liked then more than the talking heads. That was proven on draft night. I believe the 2017 class will be better than the 2016 class.... it didn't have any slam dunks but it had some good players at the QB position who will prove it on the field.

This is the key to our season. We HAVE to win the close of business best we have a chance to win late. We need to win 1/2 of those.

Even with a better D (hoping) we'll still need to win games like this to make playoffs.

The constant in the drought has been losing a lot of close games.

We were 4th from the bottom in sacks allowed. SF, CLE, and LAR all allowed more sacks, they just had more QBs.

15th in yardage surrendered from those sacks.

Even more to the point - on all called passing plays where Tyrod was under pressure, sacks scrambles and passes all included, the Bills offense had the 2nd highest DVOA in the league. Only the Packers had a higher DVOA when Rodgers was under pressure. The whole sack thing is way overblown. Even accounting for the sacks Tyrod does far better in under pressure situations than any quarterback in the league who isn't named Aaron Rodgers.

Defense was 16th in the league in points against.

As far a points go, that is dead nuts average.

I know it's not fair to take away games, but without that Patriots shut out the Bills points against ranking falls pretty sharply (more toward the bottom of the rankings IIRC). Again, I know it's not really fair to take a game off the schedule, but that one game really does skew the average quite a lot. It kind of gives the impression that the Bills defense was better than they actually were at preventing points.

They had their stretches of good play though (and their stretches of terrible play). But as others have said they seemed to fold when the team really needed them.

I know it's not fair to take away games, but without that Patriots shut out the Bills points against ranking falls pretty sharply (more toward the bottom of the rankings IIRC). Again, I know it's not really fair to take a game off the schedule, but that one game really does skew the average quite a lot. It kind of gives the impression that the Bills defense was better than they actually were at preventing points.

They had their stretches of good play though (and their stretches of terrible play). But as others have said they seemed to fold when the team really needed them.

The same could be said about the QB and the Seattle or Miami game.

Tyrod is an above-average "bridge" QB (based upon his overall skill set) and we're waiting for one of two things to happen:

1 -- he suddenly breaks out and becomes a top 10 NFL QB warranting a contract extension

The Tyrod we've seen so far isn't terrible and isn't great. If he shows "natural" improvement there's certainly the chance he could lead the Bills to the playoffs.

If you're calling Tyrod garbage as a QB you're an idiot. A team could do far worse than to rely on Tyrod for a season or two. Any Bills fan over the past 17 years should know that.

If it were only that simple.

we need to have a t-shirt made up with this on it. i really agree with this.

Good post. he is the best we have had this century and is not terrible as some seem to think. Until better comes along, Bills fans should be glad he is here. I repeat things over and over because the ones who say he is terrible keep repeating the same things over and over. If we had had a better defense in 2016, the Bills would have been the WC, not Miami.

we need to have a t-shirt made up with this on it. i really agree with this.

me too.

Edited by JM2009

Only in Bills land can you be a top 20ish QB in a league with 32 starters and still be above average.

What a time to be alive.

I think what most folks can't accept is basic mathematics.

Edited by jmc12290

I don't accept bridge by way of description...

How would you better describe it in one word? (b)

Merriam Webster:

a : a structure carrying a pathway or roadway over a depression or obstacle (such as a river)

a bridge connecting the island to the mainland

b : a time, place, or means of connection or transition

building a bridge between the two cultures

the bridge from war to peace

c : Rockpile: in football, a method of filling a temporary gap between functional talented mediocrity to the leader of a winner

the bridge from Tyrod Taylor to a Jim Kelly

Only in Bills land can you be a top 20ish QB in a league with 32 starters and still be above average.

What a time to be alive.

Then go find a better one and sign him.

What a time to be alive.

Edited by JM2009

Then go find a better one and sign him.

I've been informed on here a few times that the new head coach's system is not built around a scrambling QB.... have the popcorn ready...

Looks about right......

What a time to be alive.

Learn to read, troll.

How can you be above average, yet not the 15th best QB or higher in the NFL in a league with 32 starters?

I'll hang up and listen.

"bridge". learn to read. You're so anxious to post negativity that you don't even read the post through enough.

"bridge". learn to read. You're so anxious to post negativity that you don't even read the post through enough.

Oh. I thought he meant those sepearately.

My bad. I agree that if you took all the bad QB's in the NFL, TT is above average.

We agree.

Edited by jmc12290

Ok I know there are a lot of people that love him, I also know there are a lot that want him gone. However I figured I would start a thread to see what does he have to improve in your eyes to stick with the Bills at the end of the season. I know there are some that will think there is virtually nothing he can do, but there are some that are still on the fence with him. So lets say from him as a player what do you need to see for him to stick around.

I am not talking about excuses like well if Sammy stays healthy or stuff like that, I would like my QB to be effective with whoever is on the field.

Some of mine are:

Better anticipation on his throws, this is one reason why there is not a lot of YAC from these WRs, his throws tend to be late. This also hurts him with my third area I would like for him to improve on.

Obviously using the middle of the field, In this offense Clay has a chance to shine like all Owen Daniels (Clay is much more talented) has.

I would like for him to be much more effective against Man Coverage. Over the last two seasons, Taylor averages 9.3 yards per attempt against zone defenses (best), but only 7.1 yards per attempt against man coverage (fifth-worst).

There are two HUGE factors a lot of people continue to over look on some of Taylors most glaring flaws, which is his ability to see the field better and his anticipation on his throws (the two things you mention in this OP). And both are very accurate assessments on what he needs to improve on the most.

1. Ability to see the field better: There is a HUGE factor that I have brought up before but yet continues to be overlooked, and that was REX RYAN. Let me explain...I don't mean Coaching either. Rex was in LOVE with Tyrods ability to make plays with his legs, too much actually. Tyrod had a FULL GREEN LIGHT to take off and run if he didn't see something there. Rex is a defensive mindset Coach who wants to protect the ball and pound the run way more than taking chances downfield. So Tyrods game was more geared to taking off when he doesn't see it rather than force a throw, hence the low turnovers and tendency to run way too early. Even when someone like Tyrod looks like they are still looking downfield, they are often surveying running lanes at that point and that tends to lead to a lot of missed reads that opened up.

With ANY QB who is a lethal runner, its already a challenge to not break off downfield reads and start looking for running reads because they feel they are so dangerous running too. So when your coach emphasizes this and gives you a green light, its going to cloud his downfield vision. Tyrods biggest issue with seeing the field has been breaking off those reads and looking for running lanes too early in his progressions, hence missing easy throws that opened up down field, especially the middle of the field as Tyrod seemed to look for edge spacing most often to run on, which I dont blame him being a small frame guy wanting to avoid big hits over the middle.

With this new staff, I am hoping to see them implement a more Steve Young type mentality where the priority is heavily on the downfield reads and also given a green light to be less careful and more aggressive before he looks to do damage with his legs. (And NOOOOO I am not comparing him to Steve Young, just saying he was a guy who could hurt you bad with his legs, but was always looking to be aggressive passing first).

2. Anticipation of his throws: NEVER underestimate the importance of trust and timing when it comes to a QB and his WR's. Tyrod has actually shown he can throw with good timing and accuracy downfield when he trusts and has chemistry with his WRs like with Sammy. When Sammy was mostly healthy the last 9 games of 2015 the two of them were highly productive and Tryod took a lot more chances. In 2016, our WR group was a joke, often starting guys from the bench or even the street. Almost every game Sammy appeared in he was a shell of himself and mostly a decoy until really the week 16 where he was finally healthy to play a role and went out and had a big game.

With a full offseason with his new receivers, the hope is that we will both get Sammy back at full speed and stay that way as well as get the new WR group to stay healthy out there on the field. Tyrod almost played with a different group of WR's week in and week out the last 2 years. Woods was always dinged up, Sammy obviously hurt a lot, Goodwin made of glass, Harvin a pipe dream, etc. Outside of Sammy, our WR group was pitiful...if they could have all been healthy, it had promise, but NONE of them were.

So, I think there is a lot to be optimistic for about Tyrod this year...but make no mistake about it, he needs to elevate his game this year and prove he deserves to continue being the Bills starter. I just for one see a lot to be optimistic about, significant factors that contributed to some of the struggles the last 2 years, and also seen him do a lot of amazing and really good things too. But, I am in no way "in love" with him and if he doesn't take a significant step forward this year as a passer, then I am all in on using our 2 firsts next year to land a big time prospect.

#GOBILLS

Edited by Alphadawg7

Then how about we say that he's a short term band-aid?

People are trying to not notice that he was very fortunately injury free last season for a QB who likes to scramble.

Not sure the gods and fates of football lore let you go two seasons in a row like that...

Ok I know there are a lot of people that love him, I also know there are a lot that want him gone. However I figured I would start a thread to see what does he have to improve in your eyes to stick with the Bills at the end of the season. I know there are some that will think there is virtually nothing he can do, but there are some that are still on the fence with him. So lets say from him as a player what do you need to see for him to stick around.

I am not talking about excuses like well if Sammy stays healthy or stuff like that, I would like my QB to be effective with whoever is on the field.

Some of mine are:

Better anticipation on his throws, this is one reason why there is not a lot of YAC from these WRs, his throws tend to be late. This also hurts him with my third area I would like for him to improve on.

Obviously using the middle of the field, In this offense Clay has a chance to shine like all Owen Daniels (Clay is much more talented) has.

I would like for him to be much more effective against Man Coverage. Over the last two seasons, Taylor averages 9.3 yards per attempt against zone defenses (best), but only 7.1 yards per attempt against man coverage (fifth-worst).

That's a pretty good list. I'd add major improvement in accuracy. He does well with the deep sideline pass, but that's about it. Improvement with accuracy has to go hand in hand with improvement in his anticipation as one is not much good without the other.