The Tyrod Taylor Question

Ok I know there are a lot of people that love him, I also know there are a lot that want him gone. However I figured I would start a thread to see what does he have to improve in your eyes to stick with the Bills at the end of the season. I know there are some that will think there is virtually nothing he can do, but there are some that are still on the fence with him. So lets say from him as a player what do you need to see for him to stick around.

I am not talking about excuses like well if Sammy stays healthy or stuff like that, I would like my QB to be effective with whoever is on the field.

Some of mine are:

Better anticipation on his throws, this is one reason why there is not a lot of YAC from these WRs, his throws tend to be late. This also hurts him with my third area I would like for him to improve on.

Obviously using the middle of the field, In this offense Clay has a chance to shine like all Owen Daniels (Clay is much more talented) has.

I would like for him to be much more effective against Man Coverage. Over the last two seasons, Taylor averages 9.3 yards per attempt against zone defenses (best), but only 7.1 yards per attempt against man coverage (fifth-worst).

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A new offense reboots this topic in my view...

One could argue players are who they are, but if they ask different things of him in the new offense than the former, a period of observation in that setting is requisite to see how he does or doesn't execute.

Yes it does and camp is about to open so that is why I posted it. What do people need to see as improvement in how he plays as an individual. I think the ones I want to see are very easy to see with ones own eye, without access to playcall and read sheet.

Also something easy to point to No matter what offense these things are needed in your QB.

I didn't put accuracy (because he did struggle with that last year, but was decent his 1st year). I guess I could add it as well but more in terms of Proper Ball Placement

love? do fans really love a football player?

better fit wording would of been

support.

does not support.

either way, thanks for yet another TT thread, the board really needed one, kudos to you OP...

Yes. I love Sammy, Bruce, Thurman, Cam, Shady, and Romo

To the op, he has to get the passing offense from 31st to 15th ish

Okay, but not quite what I meant....

I think though with a weak QB UFA Class and a Weak QB draft the Bills where smart to essentially reboot the contract. Notice they didn't commit long term to him though either right

Yes. I love Sammy, Bruce, Thurman, Cam, Shady, and Romo

To the op, he has to get the passing offense from 31st to 15th ish

I agree and I think with those individual improvements the entire passing offense should climb.

The offense was 10th last year in scoring. Thats what matters. While Taylor isnt the greatest passer he does bring an extra dimension to the offense with his running ability. If the offense maintains or improves its productivity as a whole and we dont have a viable alternative Im bringing him back. I like how he doesnt turn the ball over. He can throw deep and he can make plays with his legs. Could do alot worse. Maintain the offense. Improve the defense. Your probably a playoff team.

I'd like to see the passing game improve in general. I'd also like to see TT play more games like his last Miami game, where he can score in the clutch. And obviously I want him to be able to run this new offense efficiently and show that he can be an anticipation passer capable of running Dennison's hybrid WCO.

But as far as whether he will be brought back next season or not, I think that really boils down to 1 thing - is Buffalo able to replace him with someone they feel confident in?

Someone who can run the offense as well as TT for cheaper (this is tricky because of TT's roughly $8M dead cap hit if cut), or better than TT for the same/more $. Or if they decide to go QB round 1 and they're able to draft the rookie QB they want - do they feel confident in starting him right away?

If not, I think TT is likely back for another season even if he only plays at the level he did last year (2016).

I'd like to see the passing game improve in general. I'd also like to see TT play more games like his last Miami game, where he can score in the clutch. And obviously I want him to be able to run this new offense efficiently and show that he can be an anticipation passer capable of running Dennison's hybrid WCO.

But as far as whether he will be brought back next season or not, I think that really boils down to 1 thing - is Buffalo able to replace him with someone they feel confident in?

Someone who can run the offense as well as TT for cheaper (this is tricky because of TT's roughly $8M dead cap hit if cut), or better than TT for the same/more $. Or if they decide to go QB round 1 and they're able to draft the rookie QB they want - do they feel confident in starting him right away?

If not, I think TT is likely back for another season even if he only plays at the level he did last year (2016).

Ok that is an interesting take. With Team success I tend to think that only the playoffs will keep TT on the roster, but would an 8-8 or 7-9 season save him. Obviously I think a 4-12 or something like that where they get a high draft pick in what should be a loaded QB draft and he would be gone too.

The thing is with that middling season that the Bills have had for 17 years of not bad enough to be in shot for a top QB, but not good enough for the playoffs what do you do with him.

For me, if he is going to remain there are a few things that I need to see. Gross stats mean nothing at all to me. I care about 3rd down efficiency, RZ efficiency, TD to Int and a high yards per attempt. If those things happen the offense's will be rolling.

This is how I've been evaluating QBs lately too. If I remember its the 3rd down % (maybe YPA after last year) that needs to improve for TT while maintaining above average performance in the other areas.

The one thing I need to see is evidence that when the game is on the line and the offense needs to score quickly, can he step up deliver as a QB when the defense and game situation dictates that he needs to pass. The offense scored enough points the last 2 seasons, but they rarely did it when the game was on the line. I could care less if we continue to lead the league in rushing and he routinely passes for less than 200 yard per game if, more often than not in a close game, 60 of those yards come in a last second game winning drive.

I think though with a weak QB UFA Class and a Weak QB draft the Bills where smart to essentially reboot the contract. Notice they didn't commit long term to him though either right

I agree and I think with those individual improvements the entire passing offense should climb.

Fair enough, not quite stating that tanking the upcoming season helps ensure a replacement through a top 2 draft pick.

I think one thing I'd like to see that he never got a great chance to do would be pre-snap reads/audibles. We struggled so badly to line up quickly and get play calls in during the first 2 years. I know part of that is on Tyrod but a lot of it falls on coaching as it was a known issue with Roman before we brought him in.

Using motion to better recognize coverage, setting up the o-line, and adjusting the snap count to slow down pass rushers.

Ok that is an interesting take. With Team success I tend to think that only the playoffs will keep TT on the roster, but would an 8-8 or 7-9 season save him. Obviously I think a 4-12 or something like that where they get a high draft pick in what should be a loaded QB draft and he would be gone too.

The thing is with that middling season that the Bills have had for 17 years of not bad enough to be in shot for a top QB, but not good enough for the playoffs what do you do with him.

What makes me think that they won't want to just throw whoever under center is that McDermott has said he's not looking to do a bottom out rebuild. He said he wants to win every game possible. So I'm not sure that they'd want to take a step back at QB. I'm thinking that even if they draft a rookie next year in the 1st, that they will still probably make him beat out TT for the job. Maybe if they win 4 games that's different, like you said. But 7, 8? I don't know.

I think 7-9 or 8-8 in everyone's first year with McDermott and company, with how tough the schedule is looking, wouldn't be that bad of a result for year 1. I mean, 8-8 is an improvement over last year.

I think it will depend more on how Tyrod looks anyway, than the Bills overall record. I don't know that Dennison will want a total unknown under center. That's the thing though - we have a totally new front office and coaching staff. We really don't know enough about their tendencies yet to even make much of a guess as to what they will want to do... maybe it becomes another "Tyrod takes a pay cut or we replace him" thing. I guess it also depends on who is available as well. If there's no decent free agents and/or they miss out on their guy in the draft, that changes everything.

The things I would like to see

- More throws from the pocket.....I dont care if its a moving pocket or whatever.....

- More slants/screens

- I would like to see him be more decisive when he does decide to run.....get a mental clock going.....and if its not there or if he feels that its not there....take off....dont scramble around for 7 seconds in the backfield waiting for someone to come open. It looks too much like sandlot football.

His team needs to help him out to

The things I would like to see

- More throws from the pocket.....I dont care if its a moving pocket or whatever.....

- More slants/screens

- I would like to see him be more decisive when he does decide to run.....get a mental clock going.....and if its not there or if he feels that its not there....take off....dont scramble around for 7 seconds in the backfield waiting for someone to come open. It looks too much like sandlot football.

His team needs to help him out to

I don't even mind scrambling, just... theres a time and a place. He scrambled into sacks, and mistakes way too often when there was an open pocket in front of him.

I expect some scrambling when plays break down.....just dont like it as a designed play

I just wish wouldn't break the plays down himself. He's great on those broken scramble plays with both his arm and his feet. The problem is he too often will take off when theres an easy play to be made right in front of him.

I actually like designed QB runs, he slides and gets out of bounds more often than not. The read option and triple-option plays were killer for us last year in the red zone.

I'd like to see him push his Yards per Touch back up to about 6.5, his TD% to about 4.8%, and keep his Turnover% at 2.5% or less.

I'd like to see him be handed the reigns and run an effective 2 minute drill at a proper pace.

I'd like to see him make some decisions based on pre-snap matchups and deliver the ball on a timing route in 2s or less to exploit a mismatch.

Edited by BuffaloHokie13

I'd like to see him push his Yards per Touch back up to about 6.5, his TD% to about 4.8%, and keep his Turnover% at 2.5% or less.

I'd like to see him be handed the reigns and run an effective 2 minute drill at a proper pace.

I'd like to see him make some decisions based on pre-snap matchups and deliver the ball on a timing route in 2s or less to exploit a mismatch.

I am expecting passing to go up this year....and with it I am expecting more interceptions

I am expecting passing to go up this year....and with it I am expecting more interceptions

Attempts will go up, but not as much as some people think. Tyrod has averaged just over 28 pass attempts per game. He's just shy of 31 per game if you include plays resulting in sacks. I expect those numbers to bump up to about 32 and 35 respectively. I do not expect to see 35 pass attempts per game.

I don't think it's realistic to expect a QB to be great regardless of who is or isn't injured (or on the team period). You basically have to be Tom Brady to be great no matter who you have around you.

That being said, I want to see Tyrod anticipate a bit better, I know he trusts Sammy, so he'll have to develop that trust with other receivers as well. Other than that, I'm generally pretty happy with his performance so far. As long as he takes care of the ball, hits open receivers, and keeps our offense moving, I don't care if he's first or last in yards thrown.

I think if he was the same player in 2015, but could run a 2 min offense, I could get behind hanging on to him longer.

By far, the most irritating thing about TT is the 2 min offense. It's like watching a high school game sometmes.

Yeah - big red flag there. There were small improvements here and there, but those were largely in like.. prevent defense formations. I want to be able to drive down and put 7 on the board before half-time.

Let's face it people...the only thing that's going to matter is whether he wins some games in the fourth quarter this year. Anything else or less is going to be his downfall.

Yards won't matter. Touchdowns won't matter. Scrambling won't matter. A Pro Bowl appearance won't matter. We've seen all of that and still the threads keep right on coming!

WINNING is going to matter!

Let's face it people...the only thing that's going to matter is whether he wins some games in the fourth quarter this year. Anything else or less is going to be his downfall.

Yards won't matter. Touchdowns won't matter. Scrambling won't matter. A Pro Bowl appearance won't matter. We've seen all of that and still the threads keep right on coming!

WINNING is going to matter!

So if he put up a drew brees stat-line (5000 yards and 37 TDs) and our defense tanked, you'd say get rid of him?