Polian, Edwards say Chad Kelly most talented QB on Broncos

Caught this on twitter:

Polian's seen saying Chad Kelly's the most talented QB on Broncos' roster, and Herm Edwards seem to agree. They both also agree he has "A LOT OF " growing up to do.

Ah talent, and its fruitful realization, two distinct things. Let's see if they come together for Chad over the next season or two.

@

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Just rewatched NFL Live and caught this gem: per analysts: the most talented QB in Denver isn't Lynch or Siemian. Watch this👇 pic.twitter.com/YmufgXUbmt

— Dianna Russini (@diannaESPN) July 20, 2017

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I'm sure Polian isn't letting his personal feelings get into the way. He also thought his son was going to be a great GM.

Polian is the best GM in team history but he seems a little off lately.

P.s. What does talented even mean? D'Rick Rogers was a lot more talented than Chris Hogan. How's that working out?

Edited by C.Biscuit97

Sure he is. But look at the competition. I think he's more talented than the kid from nortwestern - of course he is. Doesn't mean much though in the NFL because it takes so much more than talent to have success. I give Lynch the edge over Chad but don't love him either.

It wouldn't shock me if Kelly turns into and all-pro but it also wouldn't shock me if he turned into a complete bust too.

Low risk (Mr. Irrelevant in the draft) and potentially a high reward guy for the Broncos.

As fun as it would have been if the Bills had taken him in the last round I think both the Bills and Chad are better off with him playing somewhere else.

The interesting thing is that although he has been humbled by his fall in the draft I get the sense that if he got the chance to play and started getting attention his ego would grow and he would do the same stupid things he did before.

Guest NeckBeard

Chad Kelly could turn out to be a good player, but my opinion remains the same. If he was a Joe Blow, or a Ryan Leaf, or something other than a Kelly, most Bills fans would not bat an eyelash that he's not on this team. While maybe the Bills missed on some kind of late-born, transcendent talent, I'd rather that they right the ship and to start winning games than to take another risk. Moral victories like diamond-in-the-rough types of players, or guys who outplayed their draft value and got a second lucrative second contract are nice stories, but I'd choose 10-6 and going deep into the playoffs over moral victories any day of the week.

Yeah, I'm sure Polian isn't letting his personal feelings get into the way. He also thought his son was going to be a great GM.

Polian is the best GM in team history but he seems a little off lately.

P.s. What does talented even mean? D'Rick Rogers was a lot more talented than Chris Hogan. How's that working out?

Agreed. And to add Cardale Jones and Tyrod are more physically talented then maybe all other NFL QB's. Same with M. Goodwin with WR's.

Polian must clarify if he means physical, mental, or both.

It wouldn't shock me if Kelly turns into and all-pro but it also wouldn't shock me if he turned into a complete bust too.

Low risk (Mr. Irrelevant in the draft) and potentially a high reward guy for the Broncos.

As fun as it would have been if the Bills had taken him in the last round I think both the Bills and Chad are better off with him playing somewhere else.

The interesting thing is that although he has been humbled by his fall in the draft I get the sense that if he got the chance to play and started getting attention his ego would grow and he would do the same stupid things he did before.

It won't shock you if Chad Kelly turn out to an all pro??? You think there is a chance he is on the Rodgers, Brady, & Brees level? I think there's more a chance he is out of the league than becomes an all pro.

He's a complete moron but I do agree it's a low risk move. But there are so many other things besides the physical part to being a NFL qb.

something was said...now i'm angry!

:)

Whatever just happened is the best or worst thing ever!!!

Chad Kelly could turn out to be a good player, but my opinion remains the same. If he was a Joe Blow, or a Ryan Leaf, or something other than a Kelly, most Bills fans would not bat an eyelash that he's not on this team. While maybe the Bills missed on some kind of late-born, transcendent talent, I'd rather that they right the ship and to start winning games than to take another risk. Moral victories like diamond-in-the-rough types of players, or guys who outplayed their draft value and got a second lucrative second contract are nice stories, but I'd choose 10-6 and going deep into the playoffs over moral victories any day of the week.

I know Bills have been terrible trying to develop QB's. Using C Jones as an ex they draft him as a project to then given him about, what, 14 passes in real games, to apparently think that project is empty. Only in Buffalo.

It would not have cost much in money and one late round draft pick to get Chad Kelly. What would it have hurt to see what he could do? He was hurt anyway and could have possibly spent a year on IR learning as Bills give C Jones another yr to develop.

Edited by cba fan

Guest NeckBeard

I know Bills have been terrible trying to develop QB's. Using C Jones as an ex they draft him as a project to then given him about, what, 14 passes in real games, to apparently think that project is empty. Only in Buffalo.

It would not have cost much in money and would have cost zero draft picks to outbid Denver for undrafted FA Chad Kelly. What would it have hurt to see what he could do? He was hurt anyway and could have possibly spent a year on IR learning as Bills give C Jones another yr to develop.

So, since we're not talking about bias due to the Kelly name here, if the Bills had taken a late-round flier on him (he was taken in the 7th), does it not smack of a bad decision, even in that late round? It does to me. The guy had problems, then health issues, then more problems, then couldn't complete his pro day due to health issues. This is not a player you pick, and no, not even if you are the Bills.

So, since we're not talking about bias due to the Kelly name here, if the Bills had taken a late-round flier on him (he was taken in the 7th), does it not smack of a bad decision, even in that late round? It does to me. The guy had problems, then health issues, then more problems, then couldn't complete his pro day due to health issues. This is not a player you pick, and no, not even if you are the Bills.

I agree with all these and have not heard very many positive Chad stories from Buffalo. The counter is that it was so low risk that it could look terrible if he does develop into something since he would have loved to be a Bill. But I won't have drafted him either.

I don't think he'll ever amount to much but I could definitely see him being better than Peterman.

Guest NeckBeard

I agree with all these and have not heard very many positive Chad stories from Buffalo. The counter is that it was so low risk that it could look terrible if he does develop into something since he would have loved to be a Bill. But I won't have drafted him either.

I don't think he'll ever amount to much but I could definitely see him being better than Peterman.

So, for what it's worth, I could see Kelly getting a shot in Denver. However, better than Peterman? Time will tell. To me Kelly's got that Ryan Leaf flare to him, and he's already been hurt a few times, so I see the old man holding his shoe in the air, and is waiting to drop it. Sometimes, longevity of an NFL player (a backup QB in particular) rests on one's ability not to screw up, not to ruffle feathers, and to act like a professional, even when being a professional far outweighs your QB abilities. I don't see it with Kelly at this time, and maybe he'll be fine, but again, don't see it. If Peterman doesn't flame out or get injured, I'd see a 5-year career for him, and maybe 2 for Kelly. Really went out on a limb there. Someone will punch me in the face with this bold proclamation, I am sure.

Forgive me, but does anyone really care all that much about Bill Polian's opinion anymore. Might be the most overrated GM in the history of the game, IMO.

I forgive you, but I don't agree. I'm not placing him a pedestal -his still uncontrollable temper bugs me to this day, but he is the architect of note for 3 formidable teams in his GM tenure. 6 Super Bowl teams and a title.

Overrated just doesn't apply.

He may be the most talented but talent, by itself, isn't enough to succeed. The question is, does he have the discipline to take it to the next level?

Jerry Rice said that Randy Moss had more raw talent than he (Rice) ever had, but Moss didn't work as hard.

It won't shock you if Chad Kelly turn out to an all pro??? You think there is a chance he is on the Rodgers, Brady, & Brees level? I think there's more a chance he is out of the league than becomes an all pro.

He's a complete moron but I do agree it's a low risk move. But there are so many other things besides the physical part to being a NFL qb.

:)

Whatever just happened is the best or worst thing ever!!!

Based on his talent and the fact that Jim Kelly is his uncle, someone who has been successful after some youthful indiscretions no I wouldn't be shocked if he was successful or became an all pro. You can't teach talent. Not many people as good as the group you mentioned so no I don't think there is a chance he would be that good. That being said I also I have no issue whatsoever with the Bills passing on him and I wouldn't be shocked if he ended up like Ryan Leaf, Brady Quinn, Rick Mirer or Tim Couch.

There were some with zero ties to the bills who felt he had first round talent. Would not have been a major risk drafting him in the seventh round. Seventh rounders are a total crap shoot and most dont stay in the league more than a year or two.

Guest NeckBeard

There were some with zero ties to the bills who felt he had first round talent. Would not have been a major risk drafting him in the seventh round. Seventh rounders are a total crap shoot and most dont stay in the league more than a year or two.

Yes, he may have had first round talent, but his fall to the 7th tells you a lot. I am going to watch how he does for sure. First, I was one of those people that stood by the roadways when his uncle rolled into town. Second, he went to my alma mater (St. Joe's) and I always try and follow guys who come out of there.

He may be the most talented but talent, by itself, isn't enough to succeed. The question is, does he have the discipline to take it to the next level?

Jerry Rice said that Randy Moss had more raw talent than he (Rice) ever had, but Moss didn't work as hard.

No offense, but, wouldn't you take either one of their equivalents at QB? Looks kinda like snubbing Marino because you want Unitas.

I forgive you, but I don't agree. I'm not placing him a pedestal -his still uncontrollable temper bugs me to this day, but he is the architect of note for 3 formidable teams in his GM tenure. 6 Super Bowl teams and a title.

Overrated just doesn't apply.

This ^ I can't believe how many Bills fans refer to Polian as being overrated.. Fans are entitled to dislike Polian as a person, but don't try to tell me that he is overrated. His record as a GM speaks for itself. The 90's Bills were one of the greatest teams in the history of the league. It is absurd to marginalize his accomplishments.

This ^ I can't believe how many Bills fans refer to Polian as being overrated.. Fans are entitled to dislike Polian as a person, but don't try to tell me that he is overrated. His record as a GM speaks for itself. The 90's Bills were one of the greatest teams in the history of the league. It is absurd to marginalize his accomplishments.

....don't think that is the point or question....yet how well connected is he with today's game/players to offer commentary?.....didn't Bill Walsh offer drool all over Trent Edwards which worked out exactly how?....despite their pedigree and accomplishments, these guys and their player judgments are hardly infallible IMO...........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy