Polian, Edwards say Chad Kelly most talented QB on Broncos

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

....don't think that is the point or question....yet how well connected is he with today's game/players to offer commentary?.....didn't Bill Walsh offer drool all over Trent Edwards which worked out exactly how?....despite their pedigree and accomplishments, these guys and their player judgments are hardly infallible IMO...........

I just commented about posters who claim that Polian was overrated. That is ridiculous imo. It is fair to question his judgment. Just because Polian was a great GM doesn't make everything he says accurate. The same is the case with the opinons of retired players and aging rock stars. However, their flawed opinons in old age don't diminish their accomplishments.

Forgive me, but does anyone really care all that much about Bill Polian's opinion anymore. Might be the most overrated GM in the history of the game, IMO.

Yup those SB teams were the results of 3 different GMs. I don't think most people realize that.

He drafted Peyton Manning and Bruce (with #1 overall picks but still)!!!

Actually he didn't draft Bruce, I believe Terry Bledsoe did. As well as Reich and Reed. Not Talley or Kelly either. He did sign him when the USFL folded tho along with Kent Hull.

Caught this on twitter:

Polian's seen saying Chad Kelly's the most talented QB on Broncos' roster, and Herm Edwards seem to agree. They both also agree he has "A LOT OF " growing up to do.

Ah talent, and its fruitful realization, two distinct things. Let's see if they come together for Chad over the next season or two.

@

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Just rewatched NFL Live and caught this gem: per analysts: the most talented QB in Denver isn't Lynch or Siemian. Watch this pic.twitter.com/YmufgXUbmt

— Dianna Russini (@diannaESPN) July 20, 2017

He would be the most talented on our too. But we have noodle arm Petermen, yay!! Idiots.

Peterman better turn out better than Chad.

:D :D

Polian says a lot of things.

And most make sense, certainly including this one.

He didn't say that Kelly would necessarily succeed or become a franchise guy or anything like that. Just that he is talented, and particularly more so than the two Denver guys.

What's the big deal about that? He was widely considered to be a very talented kid. If he didn't have his off-field baggage he might well have gone in the first.

Forgive me, but does anyone really care all that much about Bill Polian's opinion anymore. Might be the most overrated GM in the history of the game, IMO.

He gets paid these days to talk. His GM resume speaks for itself.

No offense, but, wouldn't you take either one of their equivalents at QB? Looks kinda like snubbing Marino because you want Unitas.

OK, Rice/Moss wasn't a great example, but the point remains - talent only gets you so far. If he turned out to be the QB equivalent of Randy Moss, then sure, I'd take him. Is he at that level, talent-wise? I don't know.

He didn't say that Kelly would necessarily succeed or become a franchise guy or anything like that. Just that he is talented, and particularly more so than the two Denver guys.

I just don't get statements like this. Look at Paxton Lynch. 6'7, 245 lbs, "elite arm talent & athletic ability" (Mike Mayock), no injuries, no character issues. From a raw ability standpoint, I don't understand how you could Chad has more to work with, straight up.

If this guy was so talented, he would have been drafted earlier. It's not just injuries and character, he's simply not as good as 2BD makes it sound.

I just don't get statements like this. Look at Paxton Lynch. 6'7, 245 lbs, "elite arm talent & athletic ability" (Mike Mayock), no injuries, no character issues. From a raw ability standpoint, I don't understand how you could Chad has more to work with, straight up.

If this guy was so talented, he would have been drafted earlier. It's not just injuries and character, he's simply not as good as 2BD makes it sound.

Because Polian wasn't friends with his uncle. Lynch is far superior physical talent than Kelly. I don't think Lynch is anything special (tall JP Losman) but he is a better physical specimen than Kelly. Plus, Lynch prob isn't a complete moron.

Because Polian wasn't friends with his uncle. Lynch is far superior physical talent than Kelly. I don't think Lynch is anything special (tall JP Losman) but he is a better physical specimen than Kelly. Plus, Lynch prob isn't a complete moron.

I'm intrigued by what Lynch can do. Big, strong arm, mobile and can make every throw. Sloppy mechanics causing inconsistent accuracy are his issues.

The NFL draft talking heads said the guy needed at least a year on the bench, and he got that.

He has excellent weapons at WR and a defense that will not force him to win games 31-28.

Great situation for him to excel in.

Edited by TheElectricCompany

I'm intrigued by what Lynch can do. Big, strong arm, mobile and can make every throw. Sloppy mechanics causing inconsistent accuracy are his issues.

The NFL draft talking heads said the guy needed at least a year on the bench, and he got that.

He has a excellent weapons at WR and a defense that will not force him to win games 31-28.

Great situation for him to excel in.

Agreed. I think the same thing with Mahomes in KC. If those two are going to be NFL starters, they are both in great situations and if they fail, it's on them.

Basically, it's exact opposite of what the Bills and Browns do to young qbs.

I agree that Paxton's physique is better for NFL being that size. I have only seen the youtube vids of Paxton, and not game situations so I can't comment on his decision making and in-game play making abilities. I have seen Chad live. While Paxton's throws seem laborious Chad makes all kinds of throws all over the field and make them look easy. His release is quicker than Paxton's from what I recall. He played against tough competition and did well. He makes the throws he needs to and has very good on-field judgement. When you watch his games, the last name does not matter IMO. Obvious talent is there. I personally don't attach value, because he isn't Kelly's kid. If he was a son of Kelly's would be different for me.

His size isn't ideal for NFL. But then that doesn't deter it, as seen by the likes of Brees and Wilson.

But his handicap is his maturity. And it's a big handicap. I don't see him being able to find that maturity for a few years. Not when he's been like this for so long and he likely hasn't had anyone correcting his behavior being coddled as the only son or being worshipped as an elite QB. And NFL is intellectually demanding. I just don't know if he's got enough smarts to deal with complex offenses and defenses. When you look at elite QBs in NFL, there's no mistaking it - they have the intellect as well as physical tools. I don't know if he would have made it into business school like Peterman.

I agree that Paxton's physique is better for NFL being that size. I have only seen the youtube vids of Paxton, and not game situations so I can't comment on his decision making and in-game play making abilities. I have seen Chad live. While Paxton's throws seem laborious Chad makes all kinds of throws all over the field and make them look easy. His release is quicker than Paxton's from what I recall. He played against tough competition and did well. He makes the throws he needs to and has very good on-field judgement. When you watch his games, the last name does not matter IMO. Obvious talent is there. I personally don't attach value, because he isn't Kelly's kid. If he was a son of Kelly's would be different for me.

His size isn't ideal for NFL. But then that doesn't deter it, as seen by the likes of Brees and Wilson.

OK - so Paxton was a top 25 pick, but apparently the film shows Chad as a better thrower than him.

NFL teams have the same film, so they should see the same thing, but yet, he was barely drafted.

I think you are understating the importance of talent in this league. Injuries are one thing, but guys like Jaylon Smith, Willis McGahee, Todd Gurley were all drafted relatively high with shredded knees. Characters issues are another, but Gareon Conley, Joe Mixon and Janoris Jenkins didn't fall that far either. I'm not saying that character isn't important, but talent reigns supreme, and the guys with it will be drafted high, the guys without it will not. It took a murder investigation to push a talented player out of the draft (La'el Collins).

Yes, you can buck the trend with the Tom Bradys of the world, but it is not a repeatable process.

I just don't believe that Chad looks like a mid 1st rounder on the tape, but his knee and character concerns pushed him that far down. If that was the case, somebody would have taken him early.

Edited by TheElectricCompany

OK - so Paxton was a top 25 pick, but apparently the film shows Chad as a better thrower than him.

NFL teams have the same film, so they should see the same thing, but yet, he was barely drafted.

I think you are understating the importance of talent in this league. Injuries are one thing, but guys like Jaylon Smith, Willis McGahee, Todd Gurley were all drafted relatively high with shredded knees. Characters issues are another, but Gareon Conley, Joe Mixon and Janoris Jenkins didn't fall that far either. I'm not saying that character isn't important, but talent reigns supreme, and the guys with it will be drafted high, the guys without it will not. It took a murder investigation to push a talented player out of the draft (La'el Collins).

Yes, you can buck the trend with the Tom Bradys of the world, but it is not a repeatable process.

I just don't believe that Chad looks like a mid 1st rounder on the tape, but his knee and character concerns pushed him that far down. If that was the case, somebody would have taken him early.

Great post and teams are more willing to take a chance on qbs more than other position. This guy is incredibly overrated on this board because of his last name.

And the Hooker college offense he played in was very gimmicky.

Caught this on twitter:

Polian's seen saying Chad Kelly's the most talented QB on Broncos' roster, and Herm Edwards seem to agree. They both also agree he has "A LOT OF " growing up to do.

Ah talent, and its fruitful realization, two distinct things. Let's see if they come together for Chad over the next season or two.

@

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Just rewatched NFL Live and caught this gem: per analysts: the most talented QB in Denver isn't Lynch or Siemian. Watch this pic.twitter.com/YmufgXUbmt

— Dianna Russini (@diannaESPN) July 20, 2017

and EJ might be even more talented than all of them but it doesn't make him a great QB.

He may be the most talented but talent, by itself, isn't enough to succeed. The question is, does he have the discipline to take it to the next level?

Jerry Rice said that Randy Moss had more raw talent than he (Rice) ever had, but Moss didn't work as hard.

Right- could be argued Cardale is the most talented QB on the roster. I also don't expect he makes the final cut.