Jeremy Maclin (Agrees to 2 year deal with Ravens)

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why was he released? Cap? attitude? sucks?

Considering KC is fairly thin at WR, this release seems odd. Besides Hill, who is a multi purpose player, the next WR on the roster is........Chris Conley? I get that the cap hit was a tough one to swallow but there is nobody else there.

I love the move though, the more depleted the Chefs are, the better chance they suck, the better the draft pick for us.

Scratching my head on why he was released....not adding up for me either.

Apparently they didn't ask him to take a pay cut but did try to feel out trade offers first. Andy Reid was just at his wedding 2 weeks ago. Surprised.

Feels like there's more to this than meets the eye.

So I guess I'm the minority here that think he is washed up?

No thanks

Is it that simple? Could be.

Scratching my head on why he was released....not adding up for me either.

Feels like there's more to this than meets the eye.

Is it that simple? Could be.

$12.4 million cap hit for a player that would be their 3rd or 4th option this year.

Kelce

Hill

Maclin

Conley

That's how it is. Those guys are playing special teams.

It's a great perk out of those guys but if more than one is there primarily on special teams skills instead of offensive potential than I'll be very turned off by this regime.

$12.4 million cap hit for a player that would be their 3rd or 4th option this year.

Kelce

Hill

Maclin

Conley

Fair enough, maybe just a case of declining production and high cap hit. I still think WR looks thin without him.

So why are some salivating over him? Reputation?

BTW, no Mahomes snark?

It's a great perk out of those guys but if more than one is there primarily on special teams skills instead of offensive potential than I'll be very turned off by this regime.

Again, that's how rosters are built. Special teams for depth players is the deciding factor.

Fair enough, maybe just a case of declining production and high cap hit. I still think WR looks thin without him.

BTW, no Mahomes snark?

Salivating? Wanting to sign a player doesn't mean salivating. Edited by TheTruthHurts

Again, that's how rosters are built. Special teams for depth players is the deciding factor.

And I will continue to maintain that a 4th WR is hardly a depth player in this league. If they can return kicks, cool (tends to be natural overlap to WR skills). If ST is a tie breaker for a 5th between really close skill sets - fine. If you have a league best ace at 6 so be it.

But you simply can't be keeping 4-6 for their kick coverage primarily. it was one of the big faults of marrones era. We often trotted out an offense with bad backs, WRs etc... because after even minor injuries we had prioritized teams over primary duties.

Edited by NoSaint

And I will continue to maintain that a 4th WR is hardly a depth player in this league. If they can return kicks, cool (tends to be natural overlap to WR skills). If ST is a tie breaker for a 5th between really close skill sets - fine. If you have a league best ace at 6 so be it.

But you simply can't be keeping 4-6 for their kick coverage primarily. it was one of the big faults of marrones era. We often trotted out an offense with bad backs, WRs etc... because after even minor injuries we had prioritized teams over primary duties.

It's not a Bills thing. Depth players make or don't make rosters based on special teams. There is only one exception, someone drafted high may not be good enough to play and may not be able to play special teams. That player only makes the team based on draft status. Like a James Hardy. Edited by TheTruthHurts

Why was he released? Cap? attitude? sucks?

Considering KC is fairly thin at WR, this release seems odd. Besides Hill, who is a multi purpose player, the next WR on the roster is........Chris Conley? I get that the cap hit was a tough one to swallow but there is nobody else there.

I love the move though, the more depleted the Chefs are, the better chance they suck, the better the draft pick for us.

KC spreads the ball around, quick 10 yard passing game isn't Maclin's strong suit, he's a deep threat WR. Tyreek Hill had 61/593/6 TD, Maclin had 44/536/4 TD, Travis Kelce had 85/1125/4 TD. They saved 10M in cap space, pay out 2.4M dead cap this year, 4.8M dead cap next season.

That being said I hope Buffalo gets him in here and signs him, he's the over the top guy we need and he seems to have plenty of familiar faces here for him to get acclimated, maybe shady will be recruiting.

Edited by BuffaloBillsGospel

Salivating? Wanting to sign a player doesn't mean salivating.

OK, so putting it in softer terms, I got the impression that the board consensus was we should jump on this but might get beaten to the punch by another team and I was questioning whether we're (myself included) valuing his reputation too highly.

BTW, no Mahomes snark?

I thought because of Maclin's speed he'd be more valuable with Mahomes. Outside of Kelce, I don't see a consistent threat on their offense.

Well, Kelce and Spiller obviously

Edited by frogger

It's not a Bills thing. Depth players make or don't make rosters based on special teams. There is only one exception, someone drafted high may not be good enough to play and may not be able to play special teams. That player only makes the team based on draft status. Like a James Hardy.

I'm well aware of around the league roster build outs. And I'd much rather put a high upside prospect, or great package player at 4 than a good tackler.

If you want Easley and ruvell Martin at WR while boobie Dixon spells shady because Sammy tweaked a hammy and zay rolled an ankle - you do you. Over prioritizing special teams is incredibly common on this board and semi-common among coaches.

Our 4th WR will be running FAR more routes than kicks covered and we can pull some of that teams talent out of cb, safety and lb

Just to add substance...

Bob Woods had more receiving yards in 2016 than Maclin. Is it fair to say the Bills loss of Woods will make them win less games?

Losing Woods won't make us win fewer games in itself, but it definitely has a negative impact. Losing a #2 WR is not a death blow, but it's not trivial either.

I'm well aware of around the league roster build outs. And I'd much rather put a high upside prospect, or great package player at 4 than a good tackler.

If you want Easley and ruvell Martin at WR while boobie Dixon spells shady because Sammy tweaked a hammy and zay rolled an ankle - you do you. Over prioritizing special teams is incredibly common on this board and semi-common among coaches.

Our 4th WR will be running FAR more routes than kicks covered and we can pull some of that teams talent out of cb, safety and lb

The Patriots have Cooks, Edelman, Amendola, Hogan, Malcolm Mitchell and Andrew Hawkins!! Wow!! They will save a spot for Slater because he may be the best ST player in the league but they CLEARLY are prioritizing receiving threats.

Yay, more wr dreams with no qb in place..great idea!!!

So we put any attempt at upgrading an offensive position on hold until we're completely sold on the QB?

I've heard this sentiment from others as well, makes no sense to me.

Losing Woods won't make us win fewer games in itself, but it definitely has a negative impact. Losing a #2 WR is not a death blow, but it's not trivial either.

I think Zay Jones is an upgrade. If he doesn't duplicate Woods' best year, this year, I will be disappointed (700 yards and 5 TDs).

So we put any attempt at upgrading an offensive position on hold until we're completely sold on the QB?

I've heard this sentiment from others as well, makes no sense to me.

I always love that argument. Don't do anything because we aren't sure on the QB. It makes ZERO sense. You build the best roster that you can at all times.

I attended both draft party nights and the reoccurring theme was character and good "citizens" how McDermott described our picks. Ian Rapoport just posted this...Yes, this is a business. Jeremy Maclin was a good citizen, a vet on a winning team. Andy Reid went to his wedding 2 weeks ago. Cut in June.

Interesting!

He missed 4 games in 2016 and far from 100%...had him in fantasy.

Holmes is such a good 4th WR, Great blocker, great on special teams. Can fill in a top 3 spot if injury calls for it. Holmes is like 3 players in one.

But you have to subtract one since he cost us a comp pick so he nets to being only two players in one.

Think before you post

Just to add substance...

Bob Woods had more receiving yards in 2016 than Maclin. Is it fair to say the Bills loss of Woods will make them win less games?

Maclin was the number one guy that opposing teams top db shadowed and the secondary primary wr concern. Now everyone else elevates so T Hill becomes top guy and less effective. The Chiefs only have two receiving options now in Hill and Kelce. So yes it affects the scoreboard and ultimately wins and losses thus improving our pick.

Next time no need to call me out

Edited by DJB

Just to add substance...

Jeremy Maclin missed a load of games because of injury...

Think before you post....

Had a really good first year in KC over 1000 yards and 8 TD's in 15 games. Really added a lot of punch to their offense that first year, and considering he hauled in 8 TD's the year after KC had no receivers catch a TD showed just how much he improved their receiving output. Jeremy Maclin had a really down year in 2016. He missed 4 games and only had 536 yards and 2 TD's.

Overall I wouldn't be opposed to bringing him in as he is still somewhat young having just turned 29 and he isn't far removed from productive seasons. But I am not sure how much of an impact he would have.

Are people really still kvetching over comp. picks? My God...you put the best team you can on the field and let those picks fall as they may. Are you really going to release a player you want to keep or not pick up a player you want because of a comp. pick? They're nice to have, but what's the old saying, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Maclin just turned 29 less than a month ago, so I don't think age is the issue (as a couple of posters posited). I had him on my fantasy keeper team the last 3 years with mixed results and a very disappointing year last year, so I would be a bit hesitant about picking him up. (I know fantasy ff is not a good determination for real football, but when you have a guy have a down year, it's hard to trust him again, whether that is rational or not.) But, injury, KC's scheme, and Alex Smith all also played into his down numbers as well.

I think KC released him (cap savings) because he is being paid as a #1 receiver, but is really probably only a number 2 (I'd say a top-end #2), but last year performed more like a #3. But he would be an upgrade for the Bills right now and a good get, but only at a reasonable salary. If he is still looking for #1 money (or close to it), the Bills should pass.

A couple of things:

- Shady was in his wedding 2 weeks ago so they are very close

- He was with McDermott in Philly

- This allows them to release Holmes (along with Davis and Ducasse) and land that 3rd round comp pick (potentially)

No brainer to give him a call...

I don't think they should release Ducasse given the dearth of depth at the O-line. As for Holmes, I think he fits the big bodies WR McD came to like in Carolina. Releasing another WR makes sense of course...but I think I'd rather try to use his size in certain situations since there isn't much of that for Buffalo.

I don't think they should release Ducasse given the dearth of depth at the O-line. As for Holmes, I think he fits the big bodies WR McD came to like in Carolina. Releasing another WR makes sense of course...but I think I'd rather try to use his size in certain situations since there isn't much of that for Buffalo.

Is there really a dearth of depth though? With Kouandijo cut, they no longer have anyone that we've seen take snaps at LT to backup Cordy Glenn, but other than that it looks alright. Groy will be the interior swing man. He will replace Incognito, Miller or Wood in case of injury. Dawkins or Mills will be the RT. I'd assume at this point the loser of that competition will be the swing tackle but neither instills confidence at LT, IMO.

Patrick Lewis will probably get cut due to his lack of versatility and Groy being able to play center negates the need to carry two true centers.

That leaves Ducasse. Another guard. He doesn't fix any of the problems mentioned above. Yeah, he's on a cheap contract, but is keeping your 4th guard worth losing a 3rd round pick? Probably not.

Edited by JM57

I would think the Bills are ok at WR with the drafting of Zay. Shady also wants more throws to him.

This is counting on a healthy Sammy to extend and eat up cap space after this season.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/05/26/lesean-mccoy-looks-forward-to-catching-passes-in-new-bills-offense/

Save cap space to roll over for next season . I don't expect a playoff run this season, hopeful after 1 more good draft.

Edited by ALF

He could be a nice piece at the right price (4 mil or so) to back up Sammy if (when?) he gets hurt, or to have a rotation where Sammy/Zay can work the slot...but a) Beane is going to develop through the draft and not sign any 'splashy' free agents, b) there's no way he's going to only sign for 4 mil/yr based on the interest he'll get, and c) it feels like more of a luxury than we would need in a run-happy offense, especially a run-happy offense that may be gearing up to throw the ball a ton to DiMarco/Shady in the flat